PDA

View Full Version : Its Just The Tip Of The Iceburg

dirty old man
08-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Gas (oil) price increases are going to have a long range effect on everything we buy, especially our new boat. Petroleum used in the manufacture of plastics (and most boats are FRP; fiber reinforced plastic) are going to cause a big jump sooner than the next boat show. For us boaters, we're going to get hit very hard by the end of this season. New boats up, fuel up, insurance up, and everything we buy that is delivered by motor vehicle. It will have very little effect on my boating as I budgeted for this many years ago. But my kids are feeling the squeeze and their season may end shortly after school starts this year instead of into October. I was around for the last big gas shortage and it killed a lot of boat builders, fortunately it took out the less than quality guys. Lets face it, inflation is here

ROZ
08-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Lets face it, inflation is here
We have a winna! I suspect rates will start to climb a bit as well...

riverracerx
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Silly, interest rates aren't made out of petroleum! :)

burtandnancy
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Everything I own is either made from or runs on petroleum...

Kilrtoy
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Prices are already up on alot of things.....

Essex29
08-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Silly, interest rates aren't made out of petroleum! :)
what's the big deal...............
that's what I was thinking :hammerhea :wink:

Big Warlock
08-19-2005, 07:07 AM
short term interest rates have made several moves in the past year and pushed prime over 6. However, if your interested in mortgage rates, watch the treasury bills. 20 and 30 year treasury bills is what drives that market. The short term drives the interest rates on 5 years or less. Credit cards, financing appliances, etc. etc.
And their is no "oil" crisis. There is a refinery crisis. We need more of them! Oil will flow, and that market will stabilize in the next two years. But the increase you see in gas prices is more about supply and demand than anything else. Oil as a raw material only accounts for 33% of the cost of the final refined product. So doubling 33% of the cost of a product does not account for the doubling of the price at the pump! Supply and demand. And supply is getting tight!! To avoid shortages, oil companies are trying to curb demand with prices. And they are making lots of money doing it. And the government has placed them in that position. Government is not allowing more refineries to be built. No imports of refined products, thus a limited supply within a growing market.
For the simple minded folks on the board..........your F**ked!!!!!! :D

MagicMtnDan
08-19-2005, 07:30 AM
There is a "shortage" of oil due to demand (way up thanks to China and India) and the industry's inability to supply and refine it.
Do you realize that one person in 10 in China owns a car? What happens when it's 4 in 10?! :supp: