PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Cobra 230 Razor, any advice?

Jyruiz
08-17-2005, 03:39 PM
New guy to this forum ( and a cool forum it is) and I am starting to look at custom boats. Was wondering about the Cobra 230 Razor with the mid cabin, I am not into speed. I just need something bigger than my current boat (Crownline 180BR) since there are 5 of us in my family, plus friends.
Any owners out there with the same boat have any good or bad experience with there 230 Razor?

dicudmore
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Cobra builds some very nice boats... also if you're at Cobra go across the street, say hi to Barbie and Rhett and look at the 23' Dana. Awesome boat for the money :D

WYRD
08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
New guy to this forum ( and a cool forum it is) and I am starting to look at custom boats. Was wondering about the Cobra 230 Razor with the mid cabin, I am not into speed. I just need something bigger than my current boat (Crownline 180BR) since there are 5 of us in my family, plus friends.
Any owners out there with the same boat have any good or bad experience with there 230 Razor?
Try going across the street to Dana before you buy...........you just might save a little money and get a better boat..............just my thoughts :idea:

dicudmore
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Try going across the street to Dana before you buy...........you just might save a little money and get a better boat..............just my thoughts :idea:
day late and a dollar short buddy, see above :D

sigepmock
08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
My nieghbor and boating friend has the 23 Razor and it's a great boat, very fast for it's size and it rides very nice. He has 2 kids, wife, himself, and sister and friend and plenty of room for all. Only complaint he has is that the front is a little narrow and tall for the kids to get in and out of on the beach, and it has gotten scratched up pretty bad. Other than that he loves it. I've driven it a few times with a full load and it performs well, rides nice.
Chris

Biglue
08-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Cobra was one of my first choices before I decided to buy used and save several grand compared to new. They make an awsome boat.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
JYRuiz....something to consider. Check it out.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1481479&posted=1#post1481479

Phat Matt
08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a friend who has one but wishes he would have went with the 496. They are pretty nice boats though.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I have a friend who has one but wishes he would have went with the 496. They are pretty nice boats though.
A little adverstising there Matt? :wink:
Actualyy you're boat is a good deal also.

famaffair
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=jyruiz]New guy to this forum ( and a cool forum it is) and I am starting to look at custom boats. Was wondering about the Cobra 230 Razor with the mid cabin, I am not into speed. I just need something bigger than my current boat (Crownline 180BR) since there are 5 of us in my family, plus friends.
Any owners out there with the same boat have any good or bad experience with there 230 Razor?[/QUOTE
pm throttle, I am sure he can answer any questions you may have

Phat Matt
08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
A little adverstising there Matt? :wink:
Actualyy you're boat is a good deal also.
With some advice to boot. :)
And here is some proof. Here is me standing in the bow of it. Mandelon was trying to sneak in on the action on the very right also. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC00289.JPG

shippingguy
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Take a look at the Ultra 24 Stealth. Great quality boat and customer service. Handles Havasu great. Very roomy boat for the family due to it having the additional rear facing seats. Standard power is the 496 MAG.

havaduner
08-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I think it is a great boat! I own a Cobra (26 venom) but have driven the 230 a couple times. With a 496, it comes on plane great, and will run 70+ depending on load. It is a great family boat, pulls skiers and wakeboarders out of the water like they're not there.
I got to spend a day on Havasu recently,driving my friends 230 with 6 people, 2 half tanks of fuel, and 3 coolers and was really impressed with how well the boat handled the afternoon slop Havasu is famous for.
I know where there may be one, used, with low hours for sale....

Beer-30
08-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Yeah, here's my advice. A new 230 Razor will be $60k easy with tax.
Buy this one from AZ, no sales tax. Still brand new:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89156

dicudmore
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Take a look at the Ultra 24 Stealth. Great quality boat and customer service. Handles Havasu great. Very roomy boat for the family due to it having the additional rear facing seats. Standard power is the 496 MAG.
24 Stealth...also a great boat :cool:

Mandelon
08-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Good looking boat for sure.

termiteguy
08-17-2005, 04:43 PM
the 230 razor is the same haul as my genesis 236 i do belive they look the same
the haul was built origonally by eliminator go with the 496ho if possible i have
the 6.2 not enough power for me. the boat handles very well in rough water. hot boat did a write up on them i dont remember when .good luck with your search for a new boat. :cool:

Parker Dreamin
08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I have a 26 Cobra Razor and dont have anything bad to say..........

SnakeWrench
08-17-2005, 05:09 PM
the 230 razor is the same haul as my genesis 236 i do belive they look the same
the haul was built origonally by eliminator go with the 496ho if possible i have
the 6.2 not enough power for me. the boat handles very well in rough water. hot boat did a write up on them i dont remember when .good luck with your search for a new boat. :cool:
I normally wouldn't jump in on a discussion about the Cobra's, but in this case I will. The Genesis is not the same as the Cobra hull. The Cobra hull was built by the now president of CPB and it does look like the Ultra. But that is where the similarities end. The ride, speed and handling of the 230 Razor is unmatched in it's class. There are other builders out there that build a very nice mid-sized boat, but I think that if you rode in a Razor, you'd understand why people buy them.
There are a few builders that I would warn you about and advise you to avoid, but like I said before, I won't go by way of the gutter.
Good luck, if you have any other questions, please P.M. me and I would be happy to help out.
Snake

mxbundy
08-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I call BS on this being a original Cobra design. Here is the skinny oh these boats as I got from asome of the parties involved in the whole history of these boats.
First of all they are nice boats. ( Cobras ) I do not like their salesman, but nice boats just the same.
That hull did start out as a Delaminator, then the molds were sold to DCB who in turn sold them to Ultra, who sold them as both Ultras and Lightning brands.Ultra then sold a mold to Genisi who makes them for the new Lighting boats also. The Cobra version came about during the time when Cobra was a Ultra dealer. They splashed the 23xs along with the 21 Stealth to start their line of boats. During the splash they stretched the hull about 6" or so and added room for jump seats behind the drivers seat. I shoped them and found them to be much more pricey than the Ultra so I bought the Ultra.
John also did a custom ski boat interior for us and a whole list of upgrades at no extra $. Cobra would not even make the rear seat box a little bigger so that we could store our easy up in there.
Do your self a favor and talk to John at Ultra, I bet you can get a 24 Stealth for close to the same money. Plus Ultra has a trade in policy that when you want to trade up, and you will, they will give you what you payed for your old Ultra on trade in on a new one. That sealed the deal for me.
The story of the Ultra/ Cobra break up was in ***boat mag about 3 or 4 years ago.
bundy

Jyruiz
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
That is a great boat, but I am trying to stay with something that will fit in my garage. My garage is normal in hight and it is almost 27' deep. I would not mind something used, it just has to fit. Great advice from everybody (specially the one with the pictures) so keep it coming guys.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Here is the skinny on the "Cobra".
First of all they are nice boats. I do not like their salesman, but nice boats just the same.
That hull did start out as a Delaminator, then the molds were sold to DCB who in turn sold them to Ultra, who sold them as both Ultras and Lightning brands.Ultra then sold a mold to Genisi who makes them for the new Lighting boats also. The Cobra version came about during the time when Cobra was a Ultra dealer. They splashed the 23xs along with the 21 Stealth to start their line of boats. During the splash they stretched the hull about 6" or so and added room for jump seats behind the drivers seat. I shoped them and found them to be much more pricey than the Ultra so I bought the Ultra.
John also did a custom ski boat interior for us and a whole list of upgrades at no extra $. Cobra would not even make the rear seat box a little bigger so that we could store our easy up in there.
Do your self a favor and talk to John at Ultra, I bet you can get a 24 Stealth for close to the same money. Plus Ultra has a trade in policy that when you want to trade up, and you will, they will give you what you payed for your old Ultra on trade in on a new one. That sealed the deal for me.
bundy
Yes the salesman was kinda hard to deal with, he gave me this "we don't wheel and deal on our boats because they are that good" spiel. That was a total turn off. He said he could throw in an upgraded sterring wheel. I already had the financing taken care of. I was basically a cash customer to him.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Hernando?
That very same dude.

havaduner
08-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I call BS on this being a original Cobra design. Here is the skinny oh these boats as I got from asome of the parties involved in the whole history of these boats.
First of all they are nice boats. ( Cobras ) I do not like their salesman, but nice boats just the same.
The story of the Ultra/ Cobra break up was in ***boat mag about 3 or 4 years ago.
bundy
MX, from what I understand, the mold did not come from Eliminator or DCB, as Ultra tooled it themselves. John and Jeff Bohn, the owner of Cobra were partners, and Cobra molded boats, they werent just a "dealer", but yes, they did stretch the boat when they made their split.
Not to knock anybodys boat, or John West, are you sure you heard right when they said they would give you full purchase price on your boat as trade?These boats dont appreciate, so I find it hard to believe ANYONE would have a trade in policy like that.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Hernando?
What was your experience with him?

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Cobra builds a real nice boat. I was almost going to buy a 230 Razor until I went down and looked at an Ultra. John West gave me a better price on my Ultra 247XS and I liked the Ultra better. I also could not find (at the time) a lot of positive opinions about Jeff Bohn and Cobra's customer service. Maybe they have changed there ways now. Because I see a whole lot of Cobra's out on Havasu and the newer owners of them on here seem really happy with them. Still definitely take a look at Ultra. PM ULTRA28 (John West) on here with any questions about Ultra. He's a straight shooter and a heck of a nice guy.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Exactly the same as yours. I've heard that so many times, it's not even funny. Allan actually said he could get me a deal, but I didn't want to be indebted to a boat manufacturer.
What a crock of shioit that was. Everyone deals.

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:50 PM
It was kind of insulting. He's make me a deal if Allan talked to him, but not for me?
They make nice boats that's for sure but that sales philosophy sucks.

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Not to knock anybodys boat, or John West, are you sure you heard right when they said they would give you full purchase price on your boat as trade?These boats dont appreciate, so I find it hard to believe ANYONE would have a trade in policy like that.
John West told me if I traded my boat in within (I think) 3 or 5 years he would give me in trade what I paid for it. I don't have anything in writing but he did tell me that.

mxbundy
08-17-2005, 05:55 PM
John West is the one that told me about the history of the boat.
Plus I have seen a Elimanator and a DCB version in person and they are the same hull. A neighbor bought the Gennis after riding in my boat, and once again the same hull.
Their is a Advantage boat model that I have saw several running around latley that I swear uses the same bottom with a different top.
The trade in policy at Ultra is REAL!
If I could talk the wife into it I would have a27 Shadow on order right now!
bundy

Biglue
08-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Plus I have seen a Elimanator and a DCB version in person and they are the same hull. A neighbor bought the Gennis after riding in my boat, and once again the same hull.
Their is a Advantage boat model that I have saw several running around latley that I swear uses the same bottom with a different top.
bundy
I like their 28 stealth but I just got my boat in Jan.

havaduner
08-17-2005, 06:00 PM
bundy
If they will do that it's cool! I currently have a Cobra 26 Venom, my wife wants to go faster. I'm not sure if I really want to deal with re-motoring the boat, or maybe build a new one. I will have to ask Hernando if they'll give me the Ultra trade in deal!! :D

Biglue
08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
If they will do that it's cool! I currently have a Cobra 26 Venom, my wife wants to go faster. I'm not sure if I really want to deal with re-motoring the boat, or maybe build a new one. I will have to ask Hernando if they'll give me the Ultra trade in deal!! :D
See if he will take his spiel from you. :D
What motor do you have in it?

Jyruiz
08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I stopped by Cobra and met Hernando, I had some questions and he answer them, but we did not talk about price except to say that the 230 Razor they had in the showroom was going for $58, something with the 496 mag and some other add-ons. I have also checked out Essex and Laser boats. I am really insterested in a boat with a mid cabin though. Anybody know the starting price of the 24' Stealth? I looked it up and it is a really nice boat as well.

shippingguy
08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
MX, from what I understand, the mold did not come from Eliminator or DCB, as Ultra tooled it themselves. John and Jeff Bohn, the owner of Cobra were partners, and Cobra molded boats, they werent just a "dealer", but yes, they did stretch the boat when they made their split.
I can tell you from first hand experience that this is true and John has no problem reselling these boats within a couple of weeks. I have done this twice now and will probably be doing it for a third time this winter for another 27 Shadow. Started with a 21XS traded it in for my 24 Stealth and then traded that in for my 27 Shadow. The only thing you will not get back is your sales tax because the state will not allow that. The key is it has to be to upgrade to something bigger or more expensive than what you traded in.

shippingguy
08-17-2005, 07:06 PM
That is a great boat, but I am trying to stay with something that will fit in my garage. My garage is normal in hight and it is almost 27' deep. I would not mind something used, it just has to fit. Great advice from everybody (specially the one with the pictures) so keep it coming guys.
The 24 Stealth will fit in your gargage. Just get the swing away tongue. This boat like I previously mentioned has the rear facing seats and a cuddy cabin as well. You can do a walk thru, crawl thru or a closed bow that has a little bed underneath. With the closeded bow you can still fit 8 people in the boat. That just shows how big a boat it is(100" Beam) PM ULTRA28 to get pricing.

Ultrafied
08-17-2005, 07:36 PM
I stopped by Cobra and met Hernando, I had some questions and he answer them, but we did not talk about price except to say that the 230 Razor they had in the showroom was going for $58, something with the 496 mag and some other add-ons. I have also checked out Essex and Laser boats. I am really insterested in a boat with a mid cabin though. Anybody know the starting price of the 24' Stealth? I looked it up and it is a really nice boat as well.
When we were looking, we narrowed it to 3 boats, Cobra being one of them. When everything was said and done, it came to being an Ultra. We felt there was more bang for the buck. Your price will be what you and Steve or John work out with you, but you are not that far off from what Hernando is offering for a 23' "floor model". The one huge difference will be in dealing with Steve and John on getting the boat you want. I can't remember any bad words from people who actually bought boats (not second hand conversations) about how they were treated before, during or after the sale. This was the biggest factor in my boat purchase. Hernando turned me off and if it had not been for Jay (aka Snakewrench), I would have walked out. This guy was very, very cool. Took me on the 25 cent tour, answered my questions, let me know what could be done with the boat, etc. This gentleman is how I like to remember Cobra.
Our biggest complaint of the 23' Razor was the interior. When my wife got in, she was surprised by the difference in room available between the Cobra and the Ultra. Whether this was perceived or real, it "bothered" her.
I don't believe you could go wrong with either boat. If you have gone and looked at Cobra, do yourself a favor and go look at Ultra, especially if you get down to EL Cajon and see their buildings. Pretty nice setup.

28 Victory
08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Go to Cobra when Hernando isn't there and talk to Jeff. His pricing is a little different as I just sat in on a purchase with my dad on a new Python. Hernando saw the deal after Jeff made it and commented on the fact that Jeff sold some of the bigger options at or near cost. Jeff just likes to build boats. I've talked to owners of boat compaies before and the communication skills are weak but they know boats and pricing. Once the boat was ordered Hernando did change and he actually is a good guy.
Instead of listening to a bunch of people with opinions if you live in SoCal go to every builder from La to San Diego and look for your self. Check out Havasu as well. There's my opionion. :hammerhea

Jyruiz
08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I tried to PM Ultra28 but it said that I don't have suffient rights, I will try again later. I will also try to find time to go down to the Ultra showroom and check them out. I do want to see as many boats as I can before I buy.

SOMEBEACH
08-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I would highly suggest taking a look at the 24' Stealth. I did a lot of research before buying my boat and needless to say, I am picking up my 24' stealth in 2 weeks. Top notch costumer service all the way!! Talk to Bob Brown at the Corona location, he'll take good care of you. Even take you on a test drive.PM me with any Q's. Good luck!

Jyruiz
08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Anybody know what the starting price for the 24' Stealth is?

voodoomedman
08-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Anybody know what the starting price for the 24' Stealth is?
If you PM's don't work then do this.
Pick up your cell phone and call 619-443-1100 and ask for
John (owner of Ultra)
Steve (John's right hand man)
or for Corona factory showroom 951-634-7000
John D. (Co-owner of Corona location)
Bob (John D.'s right hand man)
Any of them will be glad to help you out. Mention the boards. If you want the history lesson then John might be the guy to get a hold of.
I bought from Corona but visited San Diego and John for my tour and my graphics and to pickup my boat. All of these guys are stellar in service. I can not say anything but good stuff about their customer service. And my boat kicks a$$.

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2005, 04:31 AM
I tried to PM Ultra28 but it said that I don't have suffient rights, I will try again later. I will also try to find time to go down to the Ultra showroom and check them out. I do want to see as many boats as I can before I buy.
You can e-mail him direct also. john@ultraboats.com or do what Voodoomedman said. I also purchased my boat through the Corona location. John D. & Bob over there are also great to work with.

voodoomedman
08-18-2005, 06:37 AM
You can e-mail him direct also. john@ultraboats.com or do what Voodoomedman said. I also purchased my boat through the Corona location. John D. & Bob over there are also great to work with.
John@ultraboats.com doesn't work anymore. He had to change it because of too much spam.

Jyruiz
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Well I got the starting price of the 24' Stealth, and it is 11K more than the 230 Razor. So the Stealth is pretty much out of reach for me at this time. That Stealth is really nice though.

Bart
08-18-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a 2005 230 Razor for sale right now. Boat is awesome, excellent condition and fully loaded we're just looking to buy a Cobra Venom. Email me at joebart2086@yahoo.com if you're interested and I'll give you details.
We keep it in our standard 2 car garage. The trailer has the swing away tongue.

voodoomedman
08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Well I got the starting price of the 24' Stealth, and it is 11K more than the 230 Razor. So the Stealth is pretty much out of reach for me at this time. That Stealth is really nice though.
Remember to compare apples to apples. The Stealth price is with a 496 Mag and the 230 razor is the 6.2. For the extra money you get an extra foot and the bigger engine. You will appreciate both on Havasu or Mohave. Also make sure of all the options you get. Ultra's are standard with bimini, spare tire and all the little stuff others might charge you for. The only thing I upgraded was the stereo and to get the 496 (wasn't standard at the time) and a drive shower. It really hit home when I got a blowout at midnight in Laughlin and had the spare tire right there. I never even thought about it when I purchased the boat. It was just there and I know of well known builders that charge extra for that.

Jyruiz
08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
voodoomedman,
I do understand about the bigger motor and extra stuff, but I am not a speed demon and my boat only gets towed from my house in Havasu to the launch ramp, which is one mile away. I am a conservative person by nature and I hardly ever break 30mph on my current boat, even when the water is flat. Also, the wife and I have agreed to not go over a certain price, thanks for the advice though, it is appreciated.

Jyruiz
08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Bart,
e-mail sent.

voodoomedman
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
voodoomedman,
I do understand about the bigger motor and extra stuff, but I am not a speed demon and my boat only gets towed from my house in Havasu to the launch ramp, which is one mile away. I am a conservative person by nature and I hardly ever break 30mph on my current boat, even when the water is flat. Also, the wife and I have agreed to not go over a certain price, thanks for the advice though, it is appreciated.
I hear ya. Hears another non Ultra opinion. Remember tax. That crap always puts you over the limit.