PDA

View Full Version : Gas price question

Danhercules
08-18-2005, 06:15 AM
If the price increases are due to crude shortages, or refining is too slow for demand, WHY THE HELL IS MOTOR OIL THE SAME PRICE??!?!?!?!
I guess its just another point that shows the oil companies are filling their pockets.

BarryMac
08-18-2005, 06:32 AM
If the price increases are due to crude shortages, or refining is too slow for demand, WHY THE HELL IS MOTOR OIL THE SAME PRICE??!?!?!?!
I guess its just another point that shows the oil companies are filling their pockets.
Great point Dan Herc, just another point that shows we are getting phucked by the Oil Companies...

pjones
08-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Bend over and get the vaseline...wait that's
petroluem based too...boy they're gonna get us one way or the
other.....

Not So Fast
08-18-2005, 07:00 AM
PRICE GOUGING, and our present administration says it is helpless to do anything about it. What major business do you know about that can say they had a 32% profit increase last quarter. If you are dealing in the amount of $$$$'s that the oil companies are then you figure out the profit in dollars! As far as I know if a large (mega) company can earn anywhere close to 10% profit then they are doing very well. Yeah the ragheads are somewhat responsible but do the math and you will see what is happening, we are being F---ed by the oil co.'s and this is only the start, everthing we touch will go up now!! Rant over, well, no its not, I'm pissed about this crap :angry2: NSF

Freak
08-18-2005, 08:02 AM
In the US, motor oil recycling was instituted years ago by the government.
I expect it's the same in many countries.
A large portion of the motor oil we use is recycled. Quaker State, Valvoline - it's filtered and recycled. So I've been told.
Also, obviously, alot more fuel is used by the gallon than motor oil by the quart. Leave it to economics to pay a higher price for that which we need more of.

Freak
08-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Also, I'd guess that the profit margin in motor oil (less consumption, less frequent use) is much higher than that of gasoline, allowing the companies that produce motor oil to stabilize the price with only slight increases to offset production costs.
That's spot on. My stepfather owned a service station and he said he made more $ on a quart of oil than gas by a long shot.
During the gas crunch we purchased gas from the mob. I'd ride in at 4am with him to take delivery. Ahhh memories.

Mandelon
08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Gasoline refinery capacity is a big part of the problem.

Not So Fast
08-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Also, I'd guess that the profit margin in motor oil (less consumption, less frequent use) is much higher than that of gasoline, allowing the companies that produce motor oil to stabilize the price with only slight increases to offset production costs.
You are wise beyond your years, grasshopper!! :D NSF

Ziggy
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Gasoline refinery capacity is a big part of the problem.
To many big motors burning it.......twin 575's and that lifted 8.1 Burb towing it around.

ThongMagnet
08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Last year a barrel of oil was $35. Today it's $65+ a barrel. This is the price on the world market. Who is bidding up the price.....China. China in 2000 had 1 in 100 persons driving. 2005 its 10 in 100. Do the numbers.....Demand is up in China. He (or she)who has oil, controls the world. :devil: