PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a new Ultra Stealth 24 - Opinions please

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi All,
I am so glad that I found this forum. I have already learned alot and am excited about having Ultra build us a new 24 Stealth. I have more questions that I would appreciate your expert opinions on...
Do you guys think that spending the extra 4k is worth it for the 496HO or just stick with the 496 Mag? What will the performance difference be on a 24 Stealth? Also, what are the necessary/most desired Dana hardware options/upgrades that are not too frivilous? For example, are the Dana engine hinges, seat frames, and battery boxes wotht the $$$?
Anything else I should be upgrading besides the sound system? What do you recommend for the stereo, the 3500 package that Ultra is now installing themselves or should I have it done elsewhere?
Thanks, Mitch
p.s. Do you guys like the walkthrough or the closed option better?

dicudmore
08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Open/closed/walk through totally depends on your desires and how you're going to use it.
when it comes to power I think everyone will agree...buy more than you think you need. Nobody complains that they have too much, will also help when it comes time to re-sell it :wink:

GrapeApe
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
The Dana Hinges are much better then the Hydraulic Rams.. We went with the Rams on the 1st Ultra, and opted for the better Hinges on our newest Ultra Deck.. It looks much Cleaner as well..
*** Grape Ape ***

riverracerx
08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Does that 4K for the HO upgrade get you the XR drive as well? I would do it for the power and the re-sale value.
As for the Dana stuff, if you are on a budget, get the seat bases. They are trick! The rest you won't see. But if you have the $$ do it.
As for the stereo, price it out elsewhere. You should be able to either bring the components to them if you can get a better price, or at least run all the wiring during the rigging so you can easily add the stereo stuff later.
As Dan said, walkthru options are personal preference. See what your family likes best.
Good luck!

andy01
08-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi All,
I am so glad that I found this forum. I have already learned alot and am excited about having Ultra build us a new 24 Stealth. I have more questions that I would appreciate your expert opinions on...
Do you guys think that spending the extra 4k is worth it for the 496HO or just stick with the 496 Mag? What will the performance difference be on a 24 Stealth? Also, what are the necessary/most desired Dana hardware options/upgrades that are not too frivilous? For example, are the Dana engine hinges, seat frames, and battery boxes wotht the $$$?
Anything else I should be upgrading besides the sound system? What do you recommend for the stereo, the 3500 package that Ultra is now installing themselves or should I have it done elsewhere?
Thanks, Mitch
Don't spend the money on the HO. Just buy the 496.
Open bow is up to the owner. Are you going to be hauling people around? Spilling drinks in your boat, dumping shit all over you when you hit a wave and thier drink flys up in the air into the wind? It all depends on what you want out of boating. If it was me I would put a GT Performance 650 EFI in it for motor and do a closed bow. And don't waste a bunch of money on a trailer, it is only to get you to the water! Buy what you need. None of it makes a defference when you go to sell the boat in a couple of years for the 28'.
Congrats on your choice, those 24's can be a lot of fun. I know the older one was.
Andy

charlyox
08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Dana hinges are awsome.they open in about 3 seconds. mine take about 30 seconds to open all the way. I would go with the 496 HO. you will wish you did

JB in so cal
08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi All,
Thanks, Mitch
PM Raff on the boards. He got one and I know for a fact he loves it. Just had it out last weekend, as a matter of fact.

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Don't spend the money on the HO. Just buy the 496.
Open bow is up to the owner. Are you going to be hauling people around? Spilling drinks in your boat, dumping shit all over you when you hit a wave and thier drink flys up in the air into the wind? It all depends on what you want out of boating. If it was me I would put a GT Performance 650 EFI in it for motor and do a closed bow. And don't waste a bunch of money on a trailer, it is only to get you to the water! Buy what you need. None of it makes a defference when you go to sell the boat in a couple of years for the 28'.
Congrats on your choice, those 24's can be a lot of fun. I know the older one was.
Andy
That is a good view. I have a family and we like to take friends out so the open bow is the only option for me. I do not think the HO will add much in this boat, will it?
Mitch

ROZ
08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Regarding the sound system.... I'd let John's boys do the job. He now has a couple of very good rated installers on staff and has already weened them into building solid marine sound systems... Nice to have it done inshop if it can be done :)

rivercrazy
08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd go with the HO. It will get you 2-3mph more on the big end and give you better resale. It also get you the Bravo 1X that is a bit stronger than the standard Bravo 1

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
The HO is only good for 2 or 3 mph but you will get the XR drive with it. Thats good if you plan to modify the engine later. If you don't plan on it, I would spend the extra $4k on some other cool options. Dana seat bases are bitchin looking but you lose the storage under the seat. I'd definitely get the Dana hinges. I didn't and I kick myself for not getting them. Walk through or mid cabin is just a personal preference. I went with the mid cabin because I have two small children and they like it down there to get out of the wind and sun. Stereo upgrade depends on what you get for the money. I'd go to reputable stereo shop that does installs on boats and compare prices.
Congrats on your soon to be new Ultra! Be sure and post some pics of it after the build starts. :cool:

andy01
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
You should ask the questions but give info on what you intend to do with the boat. Like motor. Do you want to go as fast you can afford? Or do you not really care? If you care then go outside of Merc. and see what you can get from a good engine builder. If you don't care about the 3 mph and a bigger drive then buy an extended warranty from Merc for your 496 and drive the shit out of it and never worry about it. It all depends on what you want out of boating. Sounds like you will be doing the family thing, I would not go big on power and have John put some other pimp options in the boat. Hauling 4-8 people all the time means you probably won't be doing speed runs very often.
Andy

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 03:25 PM
The HO is only good for 2 or 3 mph but you will get the XR drive with it. Thats good if you plan to modify the engine later. If you don't plan on it, I would spend the extra $4k on some other cool options. Dana seat bases are bitchin looking but you lose the storage under the seat. I'd definitely get the Dana hinges. I didn't and I kick myself for not getting them. Walk through or mid cabin is just a personal preference. I went with the mid cabin because I have two small children and they like it down there to get out of the wind and sun. Stereo upgrade depends on what you get for the money. I'd go to reputable stereo shop that does installs on boats and compare prices.
Congrats on your soon to be new Ultra! Be sure and post some pics of it after the build starts. :cool:
I do not really plan on upgrading the engine later so the extra 4k does not seem worrth it I do not think. I will certainly get the Dana hinges and the seat bases but not sure about other upgrades. Ideas?
Mitch

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 03:30 PM
If you don't care about the 3 mph and a bigger drive then buy an extended warranty from Merc for your 496 and drive the shit out of it and never worry about it. It all depends on what you want out of boating. Sounds like you will be doing the family thing, I would not go big on power and have John put some other pimp options in the boat. Hauling 4-8 people all the time means you probably won't be doing speed runs very often.
Andy You are right about the family thing. I will stick with the Merc.. What other "pimp" options do you suggest? Also, what do you think n about a solid color boat with graphics vs. a white one with graphics in regard to cleanup, scratches, ect.? Something like this is what I am referring to:
http://www.ultraboats.com/img/gall24lg.JPG
Thanks, Mitch

sigepmock
08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Great choice on boats, you'll love the 24 Stealth and more importantly you'll love dealing with Ultra. I actually look forward to talking with any of those guys/girls. So many other boat owners dread having to deal with the manufacturer, but not us Ultra owners.
I aggree for the difference in price the HO does not offer a lot of speed but the upgraded drive and extra resale value is worth it. Also go with the Dana hinges very clean look and it gives you more storage room in the back compartments. As far the seat bases etc... that's up to you.
As far as stereo goes I was down at Ultra a month or so ago and saw the systems they are installing and they are great plus by having the builder do the install, the boat isn't being ripped apart and put back together for the stereo install. We went with two 12's and four 6.5's mid/highs, I had them upgrade to a digital amp for the subs and up the main amp to a 6 channel amp so I could add two MB QUart 6x9's under the hatch so we could listen to the stereo when on the beach. The stereo install is top notch, sub amp never over heats and neither does the six channel amp and it's loud enough to make you ears hurt. Even though our stereo was done by the shop Ultra used to use, the high quality and professional techniques are just as good or better now that it's done in house by John and the gang.
Good luck with the new boat and I'm sure you'll love it.
Chris

wedge44
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I do not really plan on upgrading the engine later so the extra 4k does not seem worrth it I do not think. I will certainly get the Dana hinges and the seat bases but not sure about other upgrades. Ideas?
Mitch
If you go with dana seat bases YOU WILL miss the storage :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: Wedge

Ultracrazy
08-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Regarding the sound system.... I'd let John's boys do the job. He now has a couple of very good rated installers on staff and has already weened them into building solid marine sound systems... Nice to have it done inshop if it can be done :)
I concur......
I have the dana scissor hinges and the HO…..had the stereo installed by Ultra…..I have the walk thru……I have all the upgraded dana products. Just remember……when you step up to another Ultra…….all the up grades will help. Oh…….and you WILL step up :rolleyes:

sigepmock
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Just remember……when you step up to another Ultra…….all the up grades will help. Oh…….and you WILL step up :rolleyes:
Damn Straight brotha!!!!! :D

mxbundy
08-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Ask John about interior options.
When we had ours built we went with a totaly custom interior setup.
Full wrap around seating like a ski boat, enlarged box under back seat for easyup storage. Did away with the cuddy seats, made it all storage with a cooler bin and subwoofer box. And since we did away with the jumper seats underneath, we had the bow seats extended further back by about a foot towards the helm. My boat now seats about 13 people, and since we use it for wakeboarding alot this is bitchn.
Speaking of wakeboarding, if you are into that have John put the Dana wakeboard pole on for you. It fits in a reciever on front of the engine and sticks up through the hatch, up and down in 2 minutes and stores in the ski loocker when not in use. We use ours every trip, and at 1500.00 is alot cheaper than putting one of those roll bars on.
I would recomend the having them install the stereo also. You get the benefit of having it covered under the boat warranty. Also have them put a coolinf fan on the amps! Very important!
bundy

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
A couple of other things I wish I would have got on my boat was: transom mounted drive trim switch, tilt steering with a longer steering hub (I'm a short focker), and quick release billet mounts for the bimini top. I'm sure there is a few other things I forgot to mention. I always think of different things when I'm out in it. I'll try to remember some more.

NashvilleBound
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
I would have Johns guys install the stereo without question. The motor..whatever you THINK you need, double it...I know $$$$ is a factor but do your best to upgrade that as much as possible. Its the most costly to upgrade later when your dissatisfied with what you have. I had a 247 mid cabin/open bow, my kids were small and all was good. Kids grew like weeds 3 years later and nobody wants to crawl through.....they all want to slide down the windscreen to the open bow. Get the walk through...you sacrafice some looks but the gain for use of your boat space is worth every bit. Youve chosen one of the best companies to buy from...you will be pleased with whatever you get.
Good Luck,
NB

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
One thing I did that a lot of people do, is get rid of one of the jump seats in the mid cabin and put in an ice chest holder instead. It's so much better than having to trip over it on the floor.

Ultracrazy
08-18-2005, 04:20 PM
One thing I did that a lot of people do, is get rid of one of the jump seats in the mid cabin and put in an ice chest holder instead. It's so much better than having to trip over it on the floor.
I put one in the hole you speak about......works great....and no one trips. Unless of course your getting a beer :rollside:

Goodtime$
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Johns guys do rad stereo stuff so no worries there....for the seat bases, i would rather spend the money on stereo work, HO upgrade or something else...storage is pretty nice under the seat....
its your boat, congrats..get what you want, gauranteed you will love it and have some of the best gel coat work out there.... cuddy open bow looks nice

Outnumbered
08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Netbilling, send me a PM with your e-mail. I tried to send you one but its blocked.

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Netbilling, send me a PM with your e-mail. I tried to send you one but its blocked.
Hi...
mitch@netbilling.com

shippingguy
08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
When I had my 24 Stealth closed bow I upgraded to the 496 HO, but if I did it again I would just stick with the Mag in that boat. When you upgrade to the HO you DO NOT get the XR you get the 1X drive. Definitely get the scissor hinges. I would also let them do the stereo while it is being rigged. you do not want to take it somewhere else after and have them drilling in places they should not in turn voiding your warranty on the hull.

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
When I had my 24 Stealth closed bow I upgraded to the 496 HO, but if I did it again I would just stick with the Mag in that boat. When you upgrade to the HO you DO NOT get the XR you get the 1X drive. Definitely get the scissor hinges. I would also let them do the stereo while it is being rigged. you do not want to take it somewhere else after and have them drilling in places they should not in turn voiding your warranty on the hull.
Well, if thats the case...It ain't worth an extra $4k. I really doubt anyone will get that extra 4k back when it comes time to sell it.

shippingguy
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, if thats the case...It ain't worth an extra $4k. I really doubt anyone will get that extra 4k back when it comes time to sell it.
Yeah. I truly do not think it is worth it, plus if he decides to trade it in he will get what he paid for it through Ultra later.

shippingguy
08-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi All,
Thanks, Mitch
NetBilling. Sorry I started posting and forgot to say congrats and welcome to the Ultra family. I had the first closed bow 24 Stealth and it happened to be a full blended midnight cherry with sapphire blue flames. The full blended boats get very hot depending on the color, but they look awesome. If you have any questions feel free and PM me anytime.

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 06:05 PM
NetBilling. Sorry I started posting and forgot to say congrats and welcome to the Ultra family. I had the first closed bow 24 Stealth and it happened to be a full blended midnight cherry with sapphire blue flames. The full blended boats get very hot depending on the color, but they look awesome. If you have any questions feel free and PM me anytime.
Thanks for the Welcome!
Is your boat the one they have featured in pics on the ultra site? It is beautiful. How hot does it get compared to white?
Mitch

Mandelon
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I think the walk through open bow is more useful in a boat that size. Climbing through that little cuddy to get on and off the beach and trying to get it docked at the busy courtesy docks will be a pain. Unless you have little kids who need to stay out of the sun, go open bow. IF it was a 27' or larger then it makes sense to have the "duck-under" cuddy.
I would go with the HO, cuz its faster. It is cool to go faster. You will want to go faster. And you will be cooler. :D I have the HO and when I pass you, I will be cooler than you. That would suck. :hammer2:
The Dana hinges are cool and all, but honestly how often do you get in under the hatch? A couple of times a day.....big whoop. I can spare an extra 4 seconds twice a day for that extra $$$.
The ski pole Bundy mentioned is expensive for a frikking bracket and a pipe, :angry2: but he is right about it. Cool to have and super easy to use.
We almost ordered that boat, but I didn't want to wait........John's guys do a great job. You will be happy.
RB

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I think the walk through open bow is more useful in a boat that size. Climbing through that little cuddy to get on and off the beach and trying to get it docked at the busy courtesy docks will be a pain. Unless you have little kids who need to stay out of the sun, go open bow. IF it was a 27' or larger then it makes sense to have the "duck-under" cuddy.
I would go with the HO, cuz its faster. It is cool to go faster. You will want to go faster. And you will be cooler. :D I have the HO and when I pass you, I will be cooler than you. That would suck. :hammer2:
The Dana hinges are cool and all, but honestly how often do you get in under the hatch? A couple of times a day.....big whoop. I can spare an extra 4 seconds twice a day for that extra $$$.
The ski pole Bundy mentioned is expensive for a frikking bracket and a pipe, :angry2: but he is right about it. Cool to have and super easy to use.
We almost ordered that boat, but I didn't want to wait........John's guys do a great job. You will be happy.
RB
Now I am more confused then ever before... so many different opinions.
:-)

cxr133
08-18-2005, 08:34 PM
NB try the hot boat website.....
you can get some info there and that might help your decision :wink:

Mandelon
08-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Now I am more confused then ever before... so many different opinions.
:-)
True. But I am right. :D

NetBilling
08-18-2005, 08:49 PM
NB try the hot boat website.....
you can get some info there and that might help your decision :wink:
Am I not on that site now? What are you referring to?
Mitch

Ultrafied
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
For me, the HO wasn't worth it for the money. When I got the Ultra in November, I could do 68. After talking to Thor on the forum, I had a prop labbed by York propellers. I hit my 70mph mark (actually 71) and this was with 496 Mag. 90% of the time though, I'm only cruising at 45-50 so I'm fine with the Mag.
The hinges were a necessity for me. All my friends had the ram or manual. I just love those hinges (get them in the same accent color as your other billet hardware).
The bimini quick flush mount (or as someone called them quick release) was another necessity for me. They sit flush to your boat, go on and come off easy.
A rear mount trim switch is nice. Makes it easy to raise and lower your outdrive without having to climb back in.
I had to have the offshore controls and went with Livorsi. I did see at the regatta someone having a new set of controls that fit in the same position as the standard Merc shifter. Personally, I like the Livorsi's better.
The stereo's coming out of Ultra now are pretty awesome so I would definitely consider looking in that direction. If you do, I would, without a doubt, get a head unit that supports a wired remote and at least mount one by the driver. Go for the gusto and mount one in the rear as well.
There are quite a few other options, but it depends on how much you want to go. PM me and I will give the my thoughts on some of the others that I have. Great choice!!!! :D

BADASS38CHEVY
08-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Make sure you run plenty of speaker wires now where you think you might run speakers later on ,It will all be into one harness.Alot cleaner install and wont cost anymore money now.If you are planing on running some more amps later have a extra battery installed now most people always drain there batteries dead from stereos.Boat covers ,dont get reemed on one from the dealer,they over charge.Dont go fancy on trailer,not worth it.Make sure you get a estimated (worst case) delivery time in writing.Boat dealers always screw you around on delivery time,Im going threw that now. See if you can add a gps speedo instead of regular speedo,doesn't cost that much more. Stern and or bow stereo remotes.Stern trim switch is nice to have.Drive shower.Extra lighter plug for cell phone.Pop up cleats.Box anchor is a must.Fans and extra lighting in mid cabin. 2 Lights in engine compartment.These thing dont cost that much.

shippingguy
08-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the Welcome!
Is your boat the one they have featured in pics on the ultra site? It is beautiful. How hot does it get compared to white?
Mitch
You are going to love everything about the boat and the company. Yes that is the one thank you for the compliment. It was also in the swimsuit issue of Hot Boat last November/December. I do not own it anymore I traded it in last Sept. and now have the white/blue/orange 27 Shadow featured on the website. Depending on how dark a color you choose will determine how hot it gets. Mine got very hot, but it was not that bad. The way I see it even white in 120 degree desert heat gets hot! You do have to be more careful with scratches and remember if any repairs ever have to be done it is alot more difficult to match a blended color than white. Also remember you want to try and get something that you would not have a hard time selling one day either. Trends change constantly. Most important it is your money your boat and make sure you build it the way you want it and not somebody else. That is why you have chosen to build a NEW CUSTOM BOAT! ENJOY!!.

ULTRA28
08-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Personally, I would go in there and say price is no object. Just load the boat with everything you can think of and tag another $5,0000 just because you like the boat so much, but that's just my 2 cents.
Give me a call in the morning if you would like to get some prices and go over a few more things before heading to Corona. It was nice speaking with you today. I look forward to building you a boat.

Kilrtoy
08-18-2005, 09:06 PM
. It was nice speaking with you today. I look forward to building you a boat.
Something you dont hear from owners very often.....
That is nice to hear....

THOR
08-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Ding Ding. I got rid of the tiny seat in the mid cabin. I have a large storage that is protected on the driver's side and a cooler mount on the other. ALso, I have the quick release bimini hinges, Dana scissor hinges, Dana swimstep inserts, Dana trim tabs, tilt wheel, Gaffrig controls, drive shower, and the HO. Also, have Ultra do your stereo work because everything will match and will be nice and tight because they throw it in during the build process.
storage http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468DSC01061-med.JPG
Dana tabs and inserts
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/468DSC01060-med.JPG

Mandelon
08-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Offshore controls = cool.

THOR
08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Offshore controls = cool.
I love them

voodoomedman
08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Allrighty, you all knew I'd be here so here I go.
In the end do what you want with it but here are my thoughts for what there worth.
If your going with a stock engine go with the 496 Mag and not the HO. In this particular boat the HO will maybe get you 2 mph more on the top end and no better acceleration or anything. The HO would be better if you wanted to upgrade in the future. For a family boat I personally wouldn't. Yes I would like to hit 100 mph every once in while just to do it but not with my wife and my 5 month old and friends and family on the boat. Also when you start putting blowers and stuff or going with racing engines you run the risk of being in the shop all the time.
We got the walk through. I'm 6'7" and I ain't about to crawl through all day. We put an ice chest on one side down below and left the seat on the other. The only thing I would change is to make that seat some sort of shelves or something. We use it for storage and the only people that have sit down there to date are my friends kids and they come like once a year.
Get a drive shower. Only a couple hundred to cool that sucker down to reduce wear and it keeps your drive from looking like crap.
Have John draw the gelcoat design of your dreams.
Get the stereo from John. Even if it costs a couple hundred more you have it done right the first time, don't have to leave it at a stereo shop when you could be on the river and you won't have some 17 year old cutting up your very expensive custom toy. Your going to be spending a lot of money don't be cheap and cut corners. Yes get the best deal possible but don't be cheap. Besides it's also worth it to have somebody reputable to call if you have a problem. If you have someone install in California and your in Havasu you have to bring back to California. I leave my boat at my House in Havasu and if for some freak reason I have an issue then John has people he uses in Havasu for warranty work.
The ski pole thing sound real cool if your going to ski or tube a lot.
Dana hinges I have heard mixed reviews about reliability but they do look cool. Always buckle your straps though no matter which you choose.
Boatbling cover just looks tits if you can afford it.
Dual batteries are a must especially if going with upgraded stereo.
Trick seat bases look cool but are expensive and you will lose storage. You will want storage if you constantly have 8 people on your boat.
Transom trim switch is good too if it's not too much. I put my drive down while in the garage to limit wear on the U-joint and I have to walk back and forth to make sure I don't hit the ground.
Wired remotes I hear can have problems. My head unit came with a remote so that works for me. Besides somebody is always sitting in the boat so I just yell turn it up or whatever.
Offshore controls look cool too. I have the standard Merc control and I think it's easier to operate but being a black stick almost looks out of place on my beautiful boat.
Get a 12V plug and and aquastep.
Any other questions feel free to PM me. And if your in Havi at the same time as me I'm proud to show off my Ultra.

THOR
08-19-2005, 06:06 AM
We put an ice chest on one side down below and left the seat on the other. The only thing I would change is to make that seat some sort of shelves or something. We use it for storage and the only people that have sit down there to date are my friends kids and they come like once a year.
I think I am a trend setter here.
Net, if you want good pics of my setup with the cooler rack and storage instead of seat, pm me, and I'll get the boat out and take pics for you.

Beer-30
08-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi All,
Thanks, Mitch
Look around on this site for awhile. There are some 1-2 year old boats that are still brand new. All of them have upgraded stereos already and at least HO motors.. You can get a lot more boat for your money, as all of these guys are letting their boats go $20-30K less than new. Plus, if you find an AZ boat, which most are,,,,,,no sales tax. Save another pack of thousands.
Here's some:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89156&highlight=sale
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85070&highlight=shockwave
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86271&highlight=sale

NetBilling
08-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Look around on this site for awhile. There are some 1-2 year old boats that are still brand new. All of them have upgraded stereos already and at least HO motors.. You can get a lot more boat for your money, as all of these guys are letting their boats go $20-30K less than new. Plus, if you find an AZ boat, which most are,,,,,,no sales tax. Save another pack of thousands.
Here's some:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89156&highlight=sale
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85070&highlight=shockwave
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86271&highlight=sale
I live in Cali so I would have to pay tax. I have been looking in boat trader for a used Ultra or similar and have not been able to find anything that I like whcih is not close to a new price. If you have any ideas, I am looking for a 24-25' 2004 or newer. Will there be many more after the season?
Let me know.
Thanks, Mitch

mxbundy
08-19-2005, 08:03 AM
You onle live once get thr new!
plus you get to pick the options and COLORS YOU WANT!
This is a very unique experiance to be able to totaly design your own boat!
bundy

Beer-30
08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I live in Cali so I would have to pay tax. I have been looking in boat trader for a used Ultra or similar and have not been able to find anything that I like whcih is not close to a new price. If you have any ideas, I am looking for a 24-25' 2004 or newer. Will there be many more after the season?
Let me know.
Thanks, Mitch
I live in CA also. You can register non-resident with AZ on the boat. No sales tax. It is wise, however, to register the trailer in CA after a few months or so. Since it touches the roads and all.
I was looking at new also. Started seeing bigger boats that I wanted with better motors, but could not afford new. Started looking at used. Took a solid year of looking, but found the one I wanted. Was looking at 22-24 foot new, ended up with a 2001 30' w/only 140 hrs, for less than a new 21'. And, it matched the truck to boot! It's just a suggestion from personal experience, but you can get alot more boat or motor if you hold out. Good luck.

voodoomedman
08-19-2005, 08:47 AM
You onle live once get thr new!
plus you get to pick the options and COLORS YOU WANT!
This is a very unique experiance to be able to totaly design your own boat!
bundy
I agree. You get it exactly the way you want it new. Used is an option if you want a bigger boat out of your price range. New equals not worrying about if it was maintained properly or whatever as well. There's good arguments for both but you have to decide for yourself. If cost wasn't an issue you would definately go new I'm sure. So unless you really need to save the money I say go new. Your also looking for 2004 or newer which basically your saying you want new. If you find a 2004 that is significantly less than a new one it either has something wrong with it or it has poor resale which means it will have poor resale when you go to sell it.

bchbum
08-19-2005, 07:14 PM
We stopped at Ultra today & saw John ,to look at what they had . The 24' looks real good might be our next boat . Remember , at the start of the season there's always trade-ins . Ultra owners are very brand loyal to .

Raylar
08-20-2005, 07:36 AM
We have recommended to a lot of customers buying new boats to order the boat with the MAG and an XR drive and hydraulic steering. the engines are the same except cam and ECM. Then when they wan't to they can add our 525hp kit a HO ECM and they have the best of all worlds with some real power, strong drive and safe steering. this is about $22K less than ordering a HP525 blue motor. Just a thought.
Ray @ Raylar