PDA

View Full Version : Car Donation.. Anyone done it?

jackpunx
08-20-2005, 08:17 AM
IÂ’m getting my daughter a new car .. She has a 88 Toyota tercel.. it over heated and is not running good.. I know what ever it takes to fix it (because Im not doing the work myself)(believe itÂ’s the head but there is no water in the oil)will probably cost more than I want to spend on the car..
So I called one of those places yesterday..
From what I understand all they do is auction them off.. I think they are only required to donate 1-3% of their profits (not operations coat which I believe is inflated)
I would rather give the car to someone who needs a couple extra bucks then to give it to a business that calls itself a charity and lines their pockets.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Mark

Steamin' Rice
08-20-2005, 08:24 AM
If you are looking to donate your car, I know a boater who is in that business. I don't know the details, but I think that the business that handles the donation makes some money from the transaction. The good side of it is that some charity will benefit from you donating the car and you don't need to worry about any headaches down the line if the car has problems. I don't know the exact percentage of the money that goes to the charity, but I think that it is much higher than 1-3%.

little rowe boat
08-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Yah, I did it in 2000. I received a receipt for Hi blue book value then wrote it off of my taxes.

jackpunx
08-20-2005, 08:58 AM
If you are looking to donate your car, I know a boater who is in that business. I don't know the details, but I think that the business that handles the donation makes some money from the transaction. The good side of it is that some charity will benefit from you donating the car and you don't need to worry about any headaches down the line if the car has problems. I don't know the exact percentage of the money that goes to the charity, but I think that it is much higher than 1-3%.
thanks
if you can either send my info to him or his to me.. that would be great.
I would love to get that car off the street.
my email is Jackpunx@hotmail.com
Mark

dropt98chevy
08-20-2005, 09:04 AM
My buddies parents always donate their old cars so they can use it as a tax write off. The last car they donated they probably could have sold for $500 but donating it gave them $2000 as a tax write off.

Jetdriver
08-20-2005, 09:11 AM
What are you going to get for her now Mark?

jackpunx
08-20-2005, 09:20 AM
What are you going to get for her now Mark?
Nothing fancy.. Just something reliable.. :)
you guys coming over this weekend?

Jetdriver
08-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Nothing fancy.. Just something reliable.. :)
you guys coming over this weekend?
Cool for her! I doubt we will be there this weekend, stuff planned already! We will get back over there soon though buddy! :D