PDA

View Full Version : THE MEANING OF "NO WAKE"

Not So Fast
08-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Why is this such a difficult term for some people to understand :idea: The H.B. folks on here seem to grasp this concept but yet how can so many not GET IT. This is not brain surgery, look behind your damn boat or SEADOO and take a peek!! Even if it's not posted, be courteous of boats that are bouyed up. Yesterday in Steamboat (just one example of many) a nice looking 28-29 ft boat comes in loaded with people and making a sizeable wake, I give them the universal sign to slow down and they start waving :cool: Some boats with big HP do idle fast but not that many. The other gripe is why drivers come thru the eastern channel at the sandbar (next to the cliffs) at speed. If you are beached at the little sandbar next to the cliffs it causes all sorts of havoc. You know they see you but yet they dont slow down. God forbid you say anything in this confrontational world we live in because that is grounds for an all out brawl. I alway respect others boaters in regards to MY WAKE, can't we all just DO THE SAME. Is it just me or does everybody go thru the same crap and wonder WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE SO F----ING STUPID or do they just not give a crap, AMAZING!! NSF

THOR
08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
NSF, folks dont get this at all. I am glad this pisses off somebody besides me.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Yep!
We were just talking about this yesterday while sitting in the channel, North of the bridge across from the new condo's.... :mad:
I can't believe how many idiots were screaming through.....boats & PWC's... :confused:
All of us just yell "Faster....Faster....!!!"..... :idea:
And while were complaining......Why do the other idiots think that I want my boat, wife, kids, stereo and all my stuff hosed down while cruising through the channel.....Did I mention that I really don't want my boat hosed down !!!
Later,
CJG
:D

Tom Brown
08-22-2005, 10:56 AM
What's a no wake zone? :confused:
We don't have those in my area. In fact, there are only a few lakes that have any marker buoys of any kind in this province.
My boat won't idle down very well and I run a 28p prop so my idle speed is about 8 kph. I recall being nervous in Kelowna where they have "max 7 kph" buoys around all of the launch areas. My tiny/light boat doesn't produce much wake so I was pretty sure they'd let me away with it and they did.
I think next time I'm out there, I'll pull the plug for a bit to let several hundred gallons of water into the boat and then cruise just off plane through the marinas. When people yell at me, I'll smile and wave as though I'm returning a pleasantry. :D

Sportin' Wood
08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
It drives me crazy too. Sometimes I say something if I think they are close enough to hear, but most of the time I don't bother because I know they don't know any better because they have not had to take a course and are too stupid to figure out what "no wake" means if they even look at the sign. Most just know you are supposed to go slow, but they have no idea how slow.
edit:
Oops! MMSW :rollside:

djunkie
08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm just like all of you. For a while there I thought I was going too slow through the channel the way everyone passes me. Now I realize they're just going too fast.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Had this discussion at a large in-cove raft-up a few weeks ago as a Sea-doo came in, off plane but plowing fast, probably making almost as much wake as my Taylor makes at speed. The cove is secluded off the lake, hard to access (props get beat-up all the time) but upon entering, you can see all 15 to 100 boats, sometimes several lines of them, sometimes back to back. All we could doo was yell and wave both hands downward for him to slow down. My boat was good to go as I was anchored separate from a raft but there is no sense in sloshing all those boats up against each other. Even with fenders out, parts hit sometimes.
'Course, that was the day before some moron in a 23+ foot something I/O plowed into the marina area 1/2-on plane as I was leaving and we (at idle) punched our bow 6" UNDER his 2nd wake. MAN that was cold washing back over my windshield as the bow rose back up. :frown: Left me 2" of water in front of my back seat till it drained aft. At least I wasn't in a Bowrider that time. :cry:

a catered life
08-22-2005, 11:17 AM
so thats what the dam little sign means :p joking

cdog
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
My boat idle's a little high and with the 26 prop my idle speed is a tad bit faster than most. I have a bit of an excuse. Most of these guy's just don't give a rats ass. I really hate the rental pontoons in the channel. Those guys will slam those shit wagons in reverse to get a second look at some tits, and they don't care who they run into. I've seen alot of seadoo's lately in thomson bay blasting thru the no wake zone.

lalhc
08-22-2005, 11:43 AM
People are clueless! Even my 11 year old son get's it! We always laugh when Havasu police bust people speeding in the "No Wake" zone in front of the Nautical.

jbtrailerjim
08-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Speeding in a "No Wake" zone is huge pet peave of mine and am seeing a lot more of it lately. If you yell at them to slow down, most of them have that clueless look on there face. :notam: Just another example of the more boats that frequent the lake, the higher amount of dipshits you will run across out there. :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
What's a no wake zone? :confused:
... they have "max 7 kph" buoys around all of the launch areas.
What's a Kilometer??? :confused:

Wonderboy
08-22-2005, 01:49 PM
This seems to be a big problem in Steamboat. I finally had it and cussed and yelled at someone coming into Steamboat as I was heading out. He just looked confused.

bchbum
08-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I love it when I,m going slow leaving the channel & someone blows by me way before the bueys , giving me a big wake from the side I just have to spin the boat fast to let the bow take it

Tom Brown
08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
I remember back in grade school when the metric system was first being introduced in Canada, I thought it sucked. I was already familiar with the imperial system.
Now I love it. ....... for the simple fact that it pisses off Americans. :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-22-2005, 09:47 PM
My boat idle's a little high and with the 26 prop my idle speed is a tad bit faster than most. I have a bit of an excuse.
Well...
I have the same problem.....
I'm pushing a 28P and at idle she scoots along a tad bit fast, not so fast that I'm creating a wake, but I do catch a bit of shiat now & then for passing in the channel.... :boxingguy
I just don't want to knocking it into neutral every 5 sec.... :burningm:
These days I tend to go around the island and avoid the crap!......
Man.....now I REALLY know I'm getting old..... :idea:
Later,
CJG
;)

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I remember back in grade school when the metric system was first being introduced in Canada, I thought it sucked. I was already familiar with the imperial system.
Now I love it. ....... for the simple fact that it pisses off Americans. :D
F'you.....and Tim Horton!!!!! :p
Ya' got the Queen of England on your money..... :rolleyes:
But you wan't everything written in French...... :rolleyes:
Talk about an identy crisis eh....... :cry:
Take off eh !!!! :notam:
Hehe!!!
Later,
CJG
:cool:

Not So Fast
08-23-2005, 06:27 AM
People are clueless! Even my 11 year old son get's it! We always laugh when Havasu police bust people speeding in the "No Wake" zone in front of the Nautical.
We have lived here 3 yrs now and I dont think I have ever seen a citation being given for 'no wake". I especially like it when you watch someone rent one of the P.O.S. smoking rental seadoos and they immediately get'er on plane as thet leave the Suck ass rental joint, dont they tell them about the outer bouys or anything, shouldn't they be required to??????? Where have all the good freindly thoughtful boaters gone :confused: Moabi is another place where the NO WAKE seem to baffle drivers. Is it that hard to comprehend?? NSF

superdave013
08-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Why is this such a difficult term for some people to understand :idea: The H.B. folks on here seem to grasp this concept but yet how can so many not GET IT. This is not brain surgery, look behind your damn boat or SEADOO and take a peek!! Even if it's not posted, be courteous of boats that are bouyed up. Yesterday in Steamboat (just one example of many) a nice looking 28-29 ft boat comes in loaded with people and making a sizeable wake, I give them the universal sign to slow down and they start waving :cool: Some boats with big HP do idle fast but not that many. The other gripe is why drivers come thru the eastern channel at the sandbar (next to the cliffs) at speed. If you are beached at the little sandbar next to the cliffs it causes all sorts of havoc. You know they see you but yet they dont slow down. God forbid you say anything in this confrontational world we live in because that is grounds for an all out brawl. I alway respect others boaters in regards to MY WAKE, can't we all just DO THE SAME. Is it just me or does everybody go thru the same crap and wonder WHY SOME DRIVERS ARE SO F----ING STUPID or do they just not give a crap, AMAZING!! NSF
Ya know, if everyone had the thought process that you have I could still own (and use) a flatbottom. I understand it would be to rough to run during peak hours but at least it wouldn't get sunk on the anchor. lol

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 06:43 AM
We have lived here 3 yrs now and I dont think I have ever seen a citation being given for 'no wake". I especially like it when you watch someone rent one of the P.O.S. smoking rental seadoos and they immediately get'er on plane as thet leave the Suck ass rental joint, dont they tell them about the outer bouys or anything, shouldn't they be required to??????? Where have all the good freindly thoughtful boaters gone :confused: Moabi is another place where the NO WAKE seem to baffle drivers. Is it that hard to comprehend?? NSF
you're right on target there NSF...
I'm tired of getting a sore throat from yelling "slow the F down" and some water treading from the rollers in the channel :lightsabe :rolleyes:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Couldn't agree more. We just yell, hey dude, you're winning the race! I swear, I want to go to Stapels, buy a small hand held whiteboard and some dry erase markes and just write No Wake on it and just hold it up in the future. Of course, given how often it happens, I might as well just permanently attach it to the bimini.

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Couldn't agree more. We just yell, hey dude, you're winning the race! I swear, I want to go to Stapels, buy a small hand held whiteboard and some dry erase markes and just write No Wake on it and just hold it up in the future. Of course, given how often it happens, I might as well just permanently attach it to the bimini.
I like the way you think...
have you considered NO WAKE AZZHOLE instead though??

phebus
08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
They need to install speedbumps!! ;)

dicudmore
08-23-2005, 09:10 AM
They need to install speedbumps!! ;)
they are called "sand bars" to us river folk :wink:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
I like the way you think...
have you considered NO WAKE AZZHOLE instead though??
Yeah, but I'd get my a$$ beat I bet.

72 Hondo
08-23-2005, 09:23 AM
1.609344 klm is 1 mile :D
Sorry, just being a smart a*s :hammerhea

Not So Fast
08-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, but I'd get my a$$ beat I bet.
Thats what I'm talking about, the confrontational attitude even if you are wrong. Told a group in Moabi that it was a NO WAKE ZONE as they came in about 8-9 mph and they looked like we had just called thier mother a slut or something and said we are not making a wake, then proceeded to give us the Darth Vader death stare. Being that they were pretty gnarly unsavory looking and big I just let it go, why brawl about something so lame, plus I'm old :eek: NSF

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Thats what I'm talking about, the confrontational attitude even if you are wrong. Told a group in Moabi that it was a NO WAKE ZONE as they came in about 8-9 mph and they looked like we had just called thier mother a slut or something and said we are not making a wake, then proceeded to give us the Darth Vader death stare. Being that they were pretty gnarly unsavory looking and big I just let it go, why brawl about something so lame, plus I'm old :eek: NSF
Was talking with the Ranger at PM last weekend. He said they finally have their patrol boat back, after 6.5 years, but they do not have the authorization from the county to actually use it. :confused: He said as soon as they do get it, the authorization, they will be patrolling the channel and the area of the river right out in front of their sites. He went on to say that they will definitely be doing something about the people coming into the PM channel above wakeless speed.

Huckleberry
08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
My boat idles at 7 MPH and throws off a decent wake at that speed. Yet, I make sure to work at keeping a wakeless speed in the channel or no wake zones. Those who don't are either ignorant, assholes, or both!!!

Ultracrazy
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Got the same response from a wake board boat.......told the idiot to slow down. He looked at me, speed up while eye f**king me. Nice......I don't get it.

Ultracrazy
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
I know it's lame, but doesn't that just make you want to put a beat down on somebody? :D
Yep......it does......but you know.....after I told the guy to slow down and he eye f**K me......I told him to pull over......of course he went all the way down the channel (moabi).......and THEN he waved for me to come get him. Pussy.

SouthBay RB
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Thats why I like goin to small lakes, like PIRU, Everyone is nice

91nordic29
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
we just got a check from a moron's insurance company to pay for the damage he caused to our boat. we were tied up with a friend in a cove to watch fireworks and this idgit goes between us and the shore (maybe 50 yards) towing a tube!!! he "didnt know" that you are responsible for any damage your wake creates and that a moored boat, no matter where is also a no wake area. so now we have a big hole where the rear cleat used to be :mad:
what happened to common courtesy???

Tom Brown
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
A few months ago, I was having some problems with my boat in the channel. I was paddling toward shore when RiverDave cruised by just off plane in his Dad's Nordic. That mo-fo almost sank me.
It's on, RD. It's on. :mad:

RiverDave
08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
A few months ago, I was having some problems with my boat in the channel. I was paddling toward shore when RiverDave cruised by just off plane in his Dad's Nordic. That mo-fo almost sank me.
It's on, RD. It's on. :mad:
Bring it canatard... LOL :D
RD

MAINEVENT
08-23-2005, 03:48 PM
The funny thing is even when you tell them to slow down or that its a NO WAKE zone they just stare at you and keep going like you were speaking a foriegn (sp?) language or something :rolleyes:

RiverDave
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
The funny thing is even when you tell them to slow down or that its a NO WAKE zone they just stare at you and keep going like you were speaking a foriegn (sp?) language or something :rolleyes:
Coulda been shockwavebob?
RD :D