PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Died

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:13 PM
We just got back from Havasu and my 2004 Suburban just died three times on the way home. I'm running between 70 - 80 just outside Barstow and the engine just turned off. I was able to get onto the shoulder and coast for a ways and tried to start it in neutral but no luck. Came to a complete stop and put it in park and it started right up.
This happened two more times in the Barstow area the same way. I had power to the radio and everything else but not the engine. I contacted On-Star and they ran a diagnostic but could not find anything wrong.
Anyone have this happen or hear of a Chevy problem of this sort??? First time I've had any problems with any of my Chevy's.
Jay are you out there???????????????????????

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2005, 07:15 PM
That sounds almost identical to what happened to mine (except I had 12K lbs behind me...downhill).
8.1?

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
I've got the 6.2 but what ended up being the diagnosis????

dmontzsta
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
On the way back home from the river last weekend, I saw 3 2002+ Suburbans on the side of the road.

Jrocket
08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
On the way back home from the river last weekend, I saw 3 2002+ Suburbans on the side of the road.
No way! I saw 1,200,583,043 of them today?Which way do you go?

Jrocket
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I've got the 6.2 but what ended up being the diagnosis????
I think his was the fuel pump or filter...More like the pump.

ECeptor
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Make sure your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. I've heard of that causing them to sporatically shutdown.

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Mine died coming into Havasu. Like yours, I started it back up, and took it to the dealer in LHC. They ran a scan that showed "lean left and right banks". They told me I had water in the gas, emptied the tank, and sent me on my way.
Then, it did it again on the way home (in Barstow), but would not get going again.. The tow truck driver said he had an identical Suburban with the same symptoms the day before. I took it to a dealer in So Cal that told me there is a known problem with the fuel modules. Apparently, the high sulpher content in the gas is causing the fuel pumps to intermitantly fail (overheat). However, the truck ran fine when they started it up. The computer showed "lean left and right banks" again (they even knew the time, how fast I was going, etc.),but they couldn't get it to duplicate.
To solve it, they had to install a fuel pump that GM makes for vehicles going to third-world countries (higher sulpher content).
Not sure if that applies to your truck, but if it's a "lean left and right bank" condition- I'd look for bad gas, or a bad fuel pump.

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Make sure your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. I've heard of that causing them to sporatically shutdown.
I did stop and check the battery terminals. All tight and corrosion free. My next thought was somthing in the fuel line. The first time it almost hiccuped when it died. I can only describe it as a "Poof" type sound or feeling and then nothing. After that it would just die.

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Mine died coming into Havasu. Like yours, I started it back up, and took it to the dealer in LHC. They ran a scan that showed "lean left and right banks". They told me I had water in the gas, emptied the tank, and sent me on my way.
Then, it did it again on the way home (in Barstow), but would not get going again.. The tow truck driver said he had an identical Suburban with the same symptoms the day before. I took it to a dealer in So Cal that told me there is a known problem with the fuel modules. Apparently, the high sulpher content in the gas is causing the fuel pumps to intermitantly fail (overheat). However, the truck ran fine when they started it up. The computer showed "lean left and right banks" again (they even knew the time, how fast I was going, etc.),but they couldn't get it to duplicate.
To solve it, they had to install a fuel pump that GM makes for vehicles going to third-world countries (higher sulpher content).
Not sure if that applies to your truck, but if it's a "lean left and right bank" condition- I'd look for bad gas, or a bad fuel pump.
I'll tell the dealer. Filled up at Terribles just before we left Havasu.

ECeptor
08-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I did stop and check the battery terminals. All tight and corrosion free. My next thought was somthing in the fuel line. The first time it almost hiccuped when it died. I can only describe it as a "Poof" type sound or feeling and then nothing. After that it would just die.
Bummer that's not it...all other causes will be more expensive! I'd check on what HH said.

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
My truck only had 1,500 miles on it when it did it the first time. I was convinced that Shell in Indio had given me some bad gas, but the problem reoccured a few times with gas from LHC and So Cal.
You may have just gotten some bad gas- I'm sure the dealer will sample the tank.
I'll tell the dealer. Filled up at Terribles just before we left Havasu.
Didn't Terrible's once put deisel in the wrong underground tanks and wreck a few engines? :cry:

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Hopefully the warranty will cover it. I annied up the extra cash for the full/extended warranty.

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Didn't Terrible's once put deisel in the wrong underground tanks and wreck a few engines? :cry:
GREAT!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :frown: :mad:

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Hopefully the warranty will cover it. I annied up the extra cash for the full/extended warranty.
The warranty will probably not cover bad gas- you'd have to go after the station to reimbursed.
That won't be easy (those guys have a lawyer or two on the payroll)...but it has happened before. I think there was a class-action suit against Shell in Florida, or something like that.

dmontzsta
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
No way! I saw 1,200,583,043 of them today?Which way do you go?
That was childish.
BTW: I wouldnt doubt it knowing there is a chevy logo on them.
:argue:

Jrocket
08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
That was childish.
BTW: I wouldnt doubt it knowing there is a chevy logo on them.
:argue:
Uh uh....was not.

Jrocket
08-22-2005, 07:44 PM
I would keep on them about the pump,if it ends up being the problem.Do you have any friends that are mechanics at Chevy?

dmontzsta
08-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Uh uh....was not.
Was to...infiniti.

pebo
08-22-2005, 07:50 PM
My 04' PU had the same problum, died three times in 29 palms. Got it home and to the dealer. New fuel pump and all is good now. That was at about 15k.

H20Advantage
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I would keep on them about the pump,if it ends up being the problem.Do you have any friends that are mechanics at Chevy?
No, but I know Jay Photoglou. I'll check with him if I run into any issues. My truck is actually from the dealership he is at these days.

sleekcraft137
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I had the same prob on an 03. It ended up being a crankshaft postion sensor

Mandelon
08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Maybe its that damn warm Flying J fuel???? :mad: :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I had the same prob on an 03. It ended up being a crankshaft postion sensor
That's another known problem.
No, but I know Jay Photoglou. I'll check with him if I run into any issues. My truck is actually from the dealership he is at these days.
Just don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, take it to Power Chevrolet in Corona!
Tustin GMC/Buick are solid in the service department, though.

Jrocket
08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
You should be in good hands there.Jay will help you out.

PHOTOGLOU
08-22-2005, 09:18 PM
We just got back from Havasu and my 2004 Suburban just died three times on the way home. I'm running between 70 - 80 just outside Barstow and the engine just turned off. I was able to get onto the shoulder and coast for a ways and tried to start it in neutral but no luck. Came to a complete stop and put it in park and it started right up.
This happened two more times in the Barstow area the same way. I had power to the radio and everything else but not the engine. I contacted On-Star and they ran a diagnostic but could not find anything wrong.
Anyone have this happen or hear of a Chevy problem of this sort??? First time I've had any problems with any of my Chevy's.
Jay are you out there???????????????????????sH!T you should have called me.... I was in Barstow at about 6 pm tonight comming home from Boulder City.... It sounds like either the fuel pump ( in the gas tank) or bad fuel..... Fuel pump under warranty..... Bad fuel not BUT I HAVE all the numbers to corp Terribles as I too have had problems with thier fuel.... H H didn't you have a problem witht hier fuel??? Call me at 714 552 0300 as soon as you can and I'll figure out how to get the Sub to Selman Chevy....
HH I have not worked at Corona Chevy for about 8 months now AND I AGREE WITH YOU...................

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2005, 04:15 AM
... H H didn't you have a problem witht thier fuel?
I didn't, but there are more than a few stories of people who have.
According to Pro Marine in LHC (tested all the stations), the only gas worse than Terrible's (octane wise) is that Super Fuel place across the street.
Now, I only put 76 (over by the movie theatres) in the boat.

IMPATIENT 1
08-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Jay are you out there???????????????????????
I'M A CHEVY TECH AND SUB'S AND TAHOE'S WITH FLEX FUEL CAPABILITES GO THROUGH FUEL PUMP MODULE ALL THE TIME.GET WITH YOUR LOCAL DEALER AND SEE IF YOURS IS COVERED IN A CAMPAIGN.SOME WHERE DUE TO A FUEL LEAK ON TOP OF TANK.IF IT QUITS, BEAT THE TANK IN THE CENTER AND IF IT STARTS UP, PUT A PUMP MODULE IN IT.
P.M. ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS. :)

beach gomer
08-23-2005, 06:02 AM
Havasu Hangin
What happened at corona power Chevy?

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Havasu Hangin
What happened at corona power Chevy?
They have made several "errors" that IMO, shouldn't have been made.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm, hope this doesn't happen with 05 suburban and the 8.1
G, I've got your t-shirts at the Havasu pad.

H20Advantage
08-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok dropped the Burb off at Tustin Chevy. I called and found they are trying to locate a new FUEL PUMP. Thanks for the input guys.
I was also talking to the WC and two of our new patrol Tahoes have had the same exact problem. Sounds like a recall in the making before it causes someone to get into a severe accident.
Scott - We have been on opposite Havasu weekends here lately. We will hook-up there sometime and I will get them from you. Do ya need a check asap or can it wait. Let me know. Did Mike tell you why I did not make the LVHB regatta? Total bummer and we were all packed to go.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Scott - We have been on opposite Havasu weekends here lately. We will hook-up there sometime and I will get them from you. Do ya need a check asap or can it wait. Let me know. Did Mike tell you why I did not make the LVHB regatta? Total bummer and we were all packed to go.
check can wait. No, he did not tell me why. I know we were curious but If gured it was just due to not wanting to drive that far that early. Hope all is ok?