PDA

View Full Version : where to wire amps?

teekster
08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi folks, 1st post here.
Anyways, I have a 2004 Searay 280DA with twins and 3 batteries. I went on a mission to upgrade the stereo that it came with. I added a RF 5002, an old Sony XES-M1 that I had laying around (the only good amp series that Sony ever made), and an MBQuart RAA1000. I ran the appropriate 4g wire for power to the amps.
My question is: What is the best configuration to wire the power? I am new at this, so I am wondering if there is a particular battery that I should leave alone (so I can start the boat).
Thanks,
Teek

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
You have to wire the amps so that you can disconnect them when not using the boat (or the amps will drain the batteries), and decide if you want your alternator to be able to charge them.
You could use an isolator to isolate the two stereo batteries, and run them on a separate Perko switch, or you could just wire the amps to a single Perko switch, and wire the starting battery to #1 and the other two in parallel to #2.
Then, if you run the tunes without the engine running, just switch to #2, so you have the starting battery fully charged when it comes time to leave.
Those are two ways, but I'm no expert (just an internet journeyman wire jockey).

Partycattin
08-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I would definetly use an isolator of some sort. Either a Perko switch or relay.
I have a Perko switch now, but had a relay in my old boat. The relay/isolator allows the battery to change when the key is on an motor running, but isolates the main battery from being drained by the stereo, so you always have juice to start the boat.