PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires....who sells?????

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
We are looking into getting new trailer tires since we had two flat tires this weekend!! We currently have the Goodyear Marathon tires. Got a blow out on the 40 frwy on Sunday and yesterday noticed another tire was flat!! WTF!!
They are only 2 years old. Anyway, does anyone recommend a certain brand and who may sell them?
Thanks for the help
Mrs.HLB

LAFD
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
where are you located???

unleashed
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
We are looking into getting new trailer tires since we had two flat tires this weekend!! We currently have the Goodyear Marathon tires. Got a blow out on the 40 frwy on Sunday and yesterday noticed another tire was flat!! WTF!!
They are only 2 years old. Anyway, does anyone recommend a certain brand and who may sell them?
Thanks for the help
Mrs.HLB
How often do you tow??? Where do you keep your boat??? Do you check your tire pressure often??? Most any tire store can get trailer tires for you.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
where are you located???
We are in Corona...

LAFD
08-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the help
Mrs.HLB
one of the big things is sun. if you store you boat outside the sun kills tires. if your around the sfv theres a place near me that i got four trailor tires mounted and balanced for 165. forgot what brand and all that i can find out tonight...

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
How often do you tow??? Where do you keep your boat??? Do you check your tire pressure often??? Most any tire store can get trailer tires for you.
Deano
We try to go once a month
Keep the boat on the side of the house
Checked all tires,valves etc begin of summer
But what is a good brand of tire?

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
one of the big things is sun. if you store you boat outside the sun kills tires. if your around the sfv theres a place near me that i got four trailor tires mounted and balanced for 165. forgot what brand and all that i can find out tonight...
That would be great if you can let me know... Partly in the sun but we have covers for the tires & rims also. I got a quote for 5 Duro's for $286. Seems ok..But don't want to go to cheap either.
Thanks,Mrs.HLB

Ziggy
08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I've heard a few stories of trailer flats on the 40 lately :frown: ...including my own.
You can likely get them at most any reputable tire store...shop around a bit by phone first.

BarryMac
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
I just got 4 new ones at Discount Tire, I went with the Tow Master brand, don't get Carlisles, they suck azz...

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I've heard a few stories of trailer flats on the 40 lately :frown: ...including my own.
You can likely get them at most any reputable tire store...shop around a bit by phone first.
Thanks, I have been doing just that today. Any particular brand to go with?

LAFD
08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
That would be great if you can let me know... Partly in the sun but we have covers for the tires & rims also. I got a quote for 5 Duro's for $286. Seems ok..But don't want to go to cheap either.
Thanks,Mrs.HLB
yeah i forgot the brand i got but there 6 ply trailor tires so they are for trailors.....ill check for you tonight...

Mrs.HLB1
I just got 4 new ones at Discount Tire, I went with the Tow Master brand, don't get Carlisles, they suck azz...
I will try Discount tires... I called America's tire and they recommended something by the name of .....tow master for 5 for $460.

AirtimeLavey
Check out Maxxis trailer tires. A guy in Needles recommended them to me, and he should know about tires in extreme conditions! I just got some at a great price from Drop Zone in Upland. I've also been reading that driving at over 70 mph significantly heats up the tires, wears them out quicker! Good luck. :D

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
yeah i forgot the brand i got but there 6 ply trailor tires so they are for trailors.....ill check for you tonight...
Thanks...

Mandelon
08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I have been doing just that today. Any particular brand to go with?
I have had Marathons, Carlisle and Duro with nary a flat in 11 years of towing. Now I jinxed it... :rolleyes: but my current trailer has Duros and they are starting to get some cracks. I am meticulous about pressure and boat is in the shade all the time except when towing and when in use. I've dragged that thing across the desert 30 times...
What brand is the best?

BarryMac
08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
I will try Discount tires... I called America's tire and they recommended something by the name of .....tow master for 5 for $460.
That sounds about right, I think my local Discount was about $65.00 a tire, plus mounting, balancing and gaurantee. Not sure how big your boat is but if it's much bigger then 24' you may need a little bit bigger tire...

unleashed
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
The reason I was asking the questions...is I had a few blowouts in the past and now pay alot more attention to my tires. Try not to tow past 70...store the boat indoors if possible or under shade...and always check air pressure and stems...oh and last but not least grease your bearings. It sucks getting blowouts espcially if you dont have a 2 ton jack handy. I also learned that after 2 years your tires are broken down about 1/3 of what they were when you bought them even if you dont tow with them...it helps though to store in cooler conditions. I went with the e rated tires this time...forgot the mfg.
Deano

unleashed
08-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I just checked...I got the heritage 10ply load range E.
Deano

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
The reason I was asking the questions...is I had a few blowouts in the past and now pay alot more attention to my tires. Try not to tow past 70...store the boat indoors if possible or under shade...and always check air pressure and stems...oh and last but not least grease your bearings. It sucks getting blowouts espcially if you dont have a 2 ton jack handy. I also learned that after 2 years your tires are broken down about 1/3 of what they were when you bought them even if you dont tow with them...it helps though to store in cooler conditions. I went with the e rated tires this time...forgot the mfg.
Deano
Yeah we don't tow passed 70 and we check them before summer and each trip including the bearings. He is pretty good about that. But just thought it was weird for 2 in a weekend to go out. Never in all the 15 years of towing had we had this problem. The tires are 2 years old. Thanks for your input. By the way love your tank tops!! Got some back when the sand sport thingy was at the oc fairgrounds... (I think that is what it was called) :)
Thanks, Mrs.HLB

voodoomedman
08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Same Company. It's America's tire in Crowdifornia and Discount tire most everywhere else.
As far as Carlisles I think they got a bad rap for having a run of tires that did in fact suck. Kind of like Firestone having a bad rap for the tires on the Explorers but all Firestones don't suck. Also last year there were some bad valve stems on the Extreme trailers causing blowouts. When mine blew I was pissed at Carlisle at first until I realized it was the valve stems. Had Extreme replace the valve stems and my blown out tire and everything has been hunkey dorey since.

jbtrailerjim
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Maxxis makes really good trailer tires.
Tires Warehouse in Fontana carries them. (909)829-3130
I buy all of my tires from them.

bigriverdog
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Take them back to Goodyear and have them all adjusted. Thats the cheapest way out. Goodyear has had some past issues with their tires and if you press them they would pro-rate all of them.

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Maxxis makes really good trailer tires.
Tires Warehouse in Fontana carries them. (909)829-3130
I buy all of my tires from them.
Thanks, I was just talking with the guy from tire warehouse in corona. He asked me to call them in Fontana.
Beautiful boat by the way.
Thanks again, Mrs.HLB

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Take them back to Goodyear and have them all adjusted. Thats the cheapest way out. Goodyear has had some past issues with their tires and if you press them they would pro-rate all of them.
What do you mean by adjusted?

Steamin' Rice
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Same Company. It's America's tire in Crowdifornia and Discount tire most everywhere else.
As far as Carlisles I think they got a bad rap for having a run of tires that did in fact suck. Kind of like Firestone having a bad rap for the tires on the Explorers but all Firestones don't suck. Also last year there were some bad valve stems on the Extreme trailers causing blowouts. When mine blew I was pissed at Carlisle at first until I realized it was the valve stems. Had Extreme replace the valve stems and my blown out tire and everything has been hunkey dorey since.
I just had two Carlisle tires lose their tread within 5 days of each other. These were brand new tires with less than 100 miles on them, and with the correct tire pressure, etc. The first one took out my trailer fender and a nice piece of gelcoat. :burningm:
I will be getting rid of ALL of my Carlisle tires.

Phat Daddy
08-24-2005, 02:07 PM
I just replaced all 4 of my trailer tires with the Maxxis redial trailer tires. They seem to be good tires. 2 trips to the river on them and they don't leave those annoying tire marks on my driveway when I pull the boat in and out.

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
I think Frenchie sells tires! LOL Just don't shake his hand.
Rio
Don't go there!!! :hammer2:

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I just replaced all 4 of my trailer tires with the Maxxis redial trailer tires. They seem to be good tires. 2 trips to the river on them and they don't leave those annoying tire marks on my driveway when I pull the boat in and out.
Hi! I did notice that the tires left marks on our driveway too. yuk!! Mr.HLB is on his way to Wheel City in Corona. We will be getting the tow masters..
Thanks for the info though. How are you guys?

Mrs.HLB1
08-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Go to BIG O and talk with Larry. He will get you taken care of.
Thanks Tom. We are getting them from Wheel City in Corona. I will keep Larry on my list for my car. :D

unleashed
08-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I just had two Carlisle tires lose their tread within 5 days of each other. These were brand new tires with less than 100 miles on them, and with the correct tire pressure, etc. The first one took out my trailer fender and a nice piece of gelcoat. :burningm:
I will be getting rid of ALL of my Carlisle tires.
Carlisles are pieces of crap....I lost 2 on my way up to Tahoe. What a pain.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

unleashed
08-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah we don't tow passed 70 and we check them before summer and each trip including the bearings. He is pretty good about that. But just thought it was weird for 2 in a weekend to go out. Never in all the 15 years of towing had we had this problem. The tires are 2 years old. Thanks for your input. By the way love your tank tops!! Got some back when the sand sport thingy was at the oc fairgrounds... (I think that is what it was called) :)
Thanks, Mrs.HLB
No problem, I just know it sucks to worry about your tires when you are towing. Alot of people dont keep up with the maintenance and have problems that can be avoided. Sounds like you guys did all the right things. Goodluck with your next set. The sand sport super show is coming up in Sept...it is a huge show so come on out and say hi. I will be getting my new rail there...it will be fun to go shopping.
Deano

Steamin' Rice
08-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Carlisles are pieces of crap....I lost 2 on my way up to Tahoe. What a pain.
Deano
You got that right. The first one threw the tread on the way back from the Delta trip right at Castaic. I noticed the second one was about to lose it's tread this weekend after the boat sat in storage all week.

unleashed
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
You got that right. The first one threw the tread on the way back from the Delta trip right at Castaic. I noticed the second one was about to lose it's tread this weekend after the boat sat in storage all week.
Yup that sounds about right. I dont care if they gave them to me for free I wouldnt take them. To many of the same stories from people I know. I bought 6 new tires and 2 new spares to replace all the shitty Carlisles.
Deano

Flying Tiger
08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
The only place I've found with a decent standard warranty - and that in addition offered a no hassle warranty 100% replacement for a few bux more was Americas.

FreshTracks
08-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I bought 4 Maxxis for 65 each, O.T.D. at Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel. They even pulled the wheels off the trailer for me, no dirt on my hands. They are 205/14 's. Hope that helps.

bigriverdog
08-24-2005, 04:38 PM
What do you mean by adjusted?
If the tires are defective they are pro-rated based on their remaining tread depth. You pay for the portion that was used and Goodyear eats the rest. This is provided they are defective and the failure is not a road hazard issue. I don't believe Goodyears carry a road hazard policy unless you buy it.