PDA

View Full Version : Home theater system cooling fan help!

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 06:42 AM
I need some suggestions.
I have a home theater system setup in a cabinet, built into the wall and it's getting too hot. I've a 200 disc CD player, DVD player, Denon receiver, and HD/DVR cable box. It's actually the cable box that is waaaaaaaaay too hot (in my opinion).
I have a mudring (hole in the drywall for cables) that goes from the inside of the cabinet upwards towards the TV. Maybe I'll take a picture and post it later. I was wondering where I could get a suck fan (no dirty comments please :boxed: ) to help aid and assist with getting the hot air out of the cabinet area and up towards the TV (which is in open air, no enclosure) so it can vent the hot air out of the cabinet area into the room.
Brands, prices, noise? It would have to plug into the back of the receiver, so a normal plug in would be needed. I would like it to be as quiet as possible ( a little hum wouldn't hurt.......easy, now :D ). As it is now, we leave the cabinet door open about 6 inches to vent the hot air. This isn't exactly what I had in mind when I designed all this, so I thought this would be a good solution.
Thanks.
Toby

a catered life
08-25-2005, 07:00 AM
those fans are sold at radio shack really cheap also but you will have to rewire them

gmocnik
08-25-2005, 07:02 AM
try here....
http://www.activethermal.com/
gm

STV_Keith
08-25-2005, 07:04 AM
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/amreccoolpro.html

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 07:09 AM
PHX ATC,
Small box fans tend to be extremely noisy. There are some good ones, though. Here are some bare fans that are particularly quiet:
CFM - Fan - Cost
24 - 80mm Panaflo - less than $10
35 - 92mm Panaflo - $15
40 - 120mm Nexus - $20
All three of these fans are pretty much silent. This is because they are designed to run at low RPM and move a low amount of air for their size.
These are all 12v fans so you'll need to run them from a 12VDC wall transformer.

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks fellas, I've alllllll sorts of options now.
Hopefully I'll get one in soon, as I'm about sick of stubbing my toe on the damn open cabinet door. :messedup:

a catered life
08-25-2005, 11:46 AM
That looks like the stuff my friend has. Nice stuff.
Radio Shack? Who buys anything but batteries at Radio Shack?
generally those who dont care about pretty things that will never be seen and wasting a crap load of money. :yuk: in the end a fan is a fan. dont be on of those people that look all around the city to buy something only to buy what you looked at first..... :notam:

ROZ
08-25-2005, 11:56 AM
We use Elan's zfan2 for shelf mount and zfan2R for rack mount..
http://www.elanhomesystems.com/images/product_img/acc/zfan2_450w.jpg
I, on the other hand, have installed a nice panasonic(like Tom posted) fan that moves air out the back of my cabinet. :)

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 12:17 PM
You can't spend more than $8 to protect $10k worth of HT equipment?
That $250 cooling system consists of an $8 fan and a fancy holder. What's more, it's pretty much certain that fan will be louder than a Nexus... since Nexus is the quietest 120mm fan made.

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
That might hold some water if we didn't spend $100 per grill to cover our speakers in our boat. ;)
A $2 plastic pail holds water. What does money or water have to do with this? Is the goal to find the most expensive cooler possible..... or the best?

lalhc
08-25-2005, 12:54 PM
My HD/DVR fried in my cabinet due to heat. The harddrive on this system continues to operate even when the receiver is turned off. I ended up installing the replacement receiver out in the open.

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
If that's the goal, to find the best cooler, than I would reason that the twin fan setup mounted in a tray that goes above or below the piece of equipment you're trying to cool would be far superior to mounting a fan by itself in the back of a cabinet. As far as functionality, it's no contest.
You have no clue. :)
You don't just lay the fan in the back corner of the cabinet or hang it by the wires. You cut a hole and mount the fan so it exhausts air. That will cool the entire cabinet which is way more effective than just blowing on a hot component inside a closed air space.

ROZ
08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Tom, where have you found those Nexus fans? I'm now thinking I should put a couple in the back of my armoire...

ROZ
08-25-2005, 01:35 PM
To keep your drawers cool? :D
Something like that ;) :D

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I think Tom Brown has found a new word for shiat.....exhaust!! :D :D
Thanks for all the information and PMs.
Man, there are alot of helpful people on here that are willing to take 5 minutes (and some $5) out of there day to help me out. That's awesome!! :rollside:

ROZ
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
IMan, there are alot of helpful people on here that are willing to take 5 minutes (and some $5) out of there day to help me out. That's awesome!! :rollside:
I said 425.00 not 5.00 ... Don't get me mixed up with a lowballer :D

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
You can get the Nexus fans at Jab Tech (http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2856&cat=81&page=1) for less than 16 bucks.

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I said 425.00 not 5.00 ... Don't get me mixed up with a lowballer :D
Hell no bro', you're only into stealing a case of Karl Straus' finest $25 a case brew! :cool:
That qualifies as rollin large, don't it? :220v:

Sleek-Jet
08-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey Tom, would those be pusher fans??? :D
You ATC guys have it pretty good... a new tower, entertainment systems, all the comforts of home. :D

Tom Brown
08-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Tom, would those be pusher fans??? :D
:D
If they were puller fans, they would cool 20% better and use 20% less power! :D

Flying Tiger
08-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I use muffin fans, like those found on the sides of computers.
They are available in many different voltages.