PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Question - When is enough... enough?

Magic34
08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
With the fuel prices where they are at right now, which by they way are beyond out of control, what have you changed?
Would you.........
Stop using your boat this year?
Use the boat less?
Just use it again once the prices went down?
Use it the same amount?
Use it the same amount in the number of trips, just park my ass on the beach all day?
With Super Unleaded @ $3.00+/gallon, for an average day at a lake the size of Havasu, I would use 50 gallons per side, so 100 total while trying to be just a little conservative on the throttle. I feel that $300 for fuel for 1 day is a little stupid.
Nothing about boating makes financial sense which I would rather ignore and do, but at the current fuel prices it makes it much harder to toss those extra $$ away. How can you not pay attention. We all have a great time out there, and you hear it all the time on this board that you can't put a price on fun, but some on there has to be a point where you say, "I've had it, not taking it out this weekend."

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
We're being more conservative while driving the boat.

JB in so cal
08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Keep it in perspective. When gas was $2.00/gallon, that day you described was running you $200 - In the big picture, the $100 diff is not that much.
Put it another way. Lay off the double, mocha-latte-latte 1/2 blah, blahs and stick to black coffee and there's your diff right there.
Flame on!

moneypit
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Nothing.... .

doesitfloat?
08-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Keep it in perspective. When gas was $2.00/gallon, that day you described was running you $200 - In the big picture, the $100 diff is not that much.
Flame on!
Not to argue with you but how is a 50% increase "not that much"?
I know it's all relative to your income but, to some, an extra hundo a day might be the straw that broke...considering that boating, in general, is already an expensive hobby.

AZKC
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Maybe get a smaller boat :idea: :D

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Put it another way. Lay off the double, mocha-latte-latte 1/2 blah, blahs and stick to black coffee and there's your diff right there.
Flame on!
True, but there is always a time it was less expensive, but there was a slow constant climb to get to those prices. It's not, but it is about that extra $100. Sure for $100 more I'd love to have a great time, but adding the cost to get there and back pulling the boat in addition to the other exoenses of having a great time, and after a few trips, realistically you are at an extra $1000 for 3-4 trips from what it cost you at the same time last year.

Wild Horses
08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
We boat just as much but just stay closer to home. Only going to make Havasu 3 time this year.
Clint

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
This is about to have a major effect on the economy as well. Try and sell your boat if gas prices are above $3/gallon. Sure there are those who don't care, but the market will become much smaller in terms of new buyers and the less buyers, means builders will lower prices to get the sales and in turn the used market drops as well just as it has in the car industry.
We as boaters have been lucky the past 3 years, the boating market has been really strong because demand has been high, but higher fuel prices will and has lowered demand at this point.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
And a sand rail...... :rollside:

JB in so cal
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
True, but there is always a time it was less expensive, but there was a slow constant climb to get to those prices. It's not, but it is about that extra $100. Sure for $100 more I'd love to have a great time, but adding the cost to get there and back pulling the boat in addition to the other exoenses of having a great time, and after a few trips, realistically you are at an extra $1000 for 3-4 trips from what it cost you at the same time last year.
I hear what you're saying. I don't get hit like that so my outlook is different.
My set up is: Travel Trailer on spot $400/month; Boat storage $175/month; - all set costs. Truck paid for. GAS MONEY for truck and boat + - $300/trip.

One Particular Harbor
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Like last weekend on Havasu...one day-trip upriver (~Topock) and one day-trip downriver. Pull the kids skiing or tubing. Usually one evening cocktail cruise. Rarely WOT, usually cruising at ~40mph.
Net, net...about 1/4 down on my 80-gallon tank. So, say 25 gallons for the weekend. Gas price was $2.55/gallon (87 octane). So, ~$65 for the weekend in boat gas...not too bad. Three-day weekend, about $100.
Now add ~20 gals in the Suburban, each way, out and back to Havasu...that's another $100 or so. It adds up, but the boat has been pretty reasonable all things considered. Not much we can do with the whole family, for an entire weekend, for $65.
However, last summer, I never paid over $1.98/gal for regular unleaded. :mad:

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:18 PM
I hear what you're saying. I don't get hit like that so my outlook is different.
My set up is: Travel Trailer on spot $400/month; Boat storage $175/month; - all set costs. Truck paid for. GAS MONEY for truck and boat + - $300/trip.
I guess my question to you would be...
Your boat holds about 85 gallons of gas, and you use about that in an average weeknd in Havasu... Channel to sandbar, havasu springs, back up river, etc.
It is about $1 more per gallon than it was early this year or last. So it is costing you just in the boat, and extra $85. What would that figure have to be to make you alter your vacation decisions?
JB, just trying to have a good conversation in here about something that effects all of us and when is each person's attitude pushed too far with fuel. I'm about there.

sintax
08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
i'm thinking its all about sail boats now :wink:

JB in so cal
08-25-2005, 01:27 PM
I guess my question to you would be...
Your boat holds about 85 gallons of gas, and you use about that in an average weeknd in Havasu... Channel to sandbar, havasu springs, back up river, etc.
It is about $1 more per gallon than it was early this year or last. So it is costing you just in the boat, and extra $85. What would that figure have to be to make you alter your vacation decisions?JB, just trying to have a good conversation in here about something that effects all of us and when is each person's attitude pushed too far with fuel. I'm about there.
Good question. I would say $200/trip MORE. That being said, I can mitigate expense by not cruising so much. Getting my cheap friends to pitch in more. Next year, maybe find a storage unit that can also hold my truck and drive my car back and forth.
I enjoy boating very much and I would find ways to afford/budget it in before cutting back.
After the Labor Day trip, I'll have been out 13 weekends. I can recoup in the winter!!

dicudmore
08-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Mikey just put the $$$ in it and come play with the rest of us :D

Captain Dan
08-25-2005, 01:30 PM
The hell with it.
It's only money, I'll make some more.....
My family enjoys it too much.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
So, ~$65 for the weekend in boat gas...not too bad. Three-day weekend, about $100.
It adds up, but the boat has been pretty reasonable all things considered. Not much we can do with the whole family, for an entire weekend, for $65.
However, last summer, I never paid over $1.98/gal for regular unleaded. :mad:
That's another point in this conversation. Sure for $65 it is worth the fun, but you invested tons of moeny before that to have that fun and this is a cost that you must make. If it was only $65, then yes I am right there with you 100%, but you have much more than that $65 as a vacation factor.
Many of us use our boats as an alternative traditional vacation, traditional being nonboating. Sometimes, maybe a lot of time, we choose not to go to disneyland with our kids this year becuae we bought a new boat and the fun and money should go to that. That $65 is an added expense that may seem reasonable now, but what is the point when it is not?
Do I sound like a effn' tree hugger?

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
i'm thinking its all about sail boats now :wink:
Nah, just float down river. :D

dicudmore
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Nah, just float down river. :D
don't give all our secrets away :hammer2:

Up 4 River
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I hear you on prices and I'm lucky I've had to go to a lot of wedding this summer and haven't had to make the decision on whether to go or not. Typical gas weekend is $100 in the Tahoe there and back and $150 to run the boat all weekend from the springs to Topac. Like I said I'm glad I've been busy because that's about $50 per trip more than i would have spend last year and when you multiply that times 12-15 trips it gets expensive.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Do I sound like a effn' tree hugger?
FWIW, not to me. If you were saying we all should sell our boats because of the fossil fuels they burn and deplete the Earth of it's natural resources like some tree hugger on here said at one time, then yes, you would be a tree hugger.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Mikey just put the $$$ in it and come play with the rest of us :D
I have more trips planned now than I have all season. Havasu twice in Sept. Parker once in Oct, Havasu once in Oct, and Havasu the first weekend of Nov.
I'm just pissed of the added expense.
I was in a small disagreement with my mother-in-law over the weekend. They were having a little party and wanted my bar stools from my kitchen to use in their backyard. I told them why put nice stools out there because people respect things differently outside and I thought they would get ruined. She said, she'll buy me new ones, and I told her that it is stupid to spend $500 on stools if we could avoid it, it was jsut throwing away money.
She said, you spend $400 a weekend in gas for your damn boat so what do you care if I buy new stools.
I tucked my tail and drove my golf cart home. :hammer2:

gmocnik
08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
throttling back and limiting the "topok in the morning/springs in the afternoon" runs has been the way for us to manage some of the fuel costs. we spend a lot more time in copper and/or steamboat and based on the traffic we see in that area, so do many others!!
it is a fact that the cost of fuel is now something i think about, it is still an expense that is justified by the stress relief and enjoyment i get from boating.
now if the cost of liquor and cocktail prices were to be accelerating at the same rate we may have a problem.....

h2oski2fast
08-25-2005, 01:41 PM
With Super Unleaded @ $3.00+/gallon, for an average day at a lake the size of Havasu, I would use 50 gallons per side, so 100 total while trying to be just a little conservative on the throttle. I feel that $300 for fuel for 1 day is a little stupid.
Then stay home, it would be nice if less people were out on the water anyway.

JB in so cal
08-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I have more trips planned now than I have all season. Havasu twice in Sept. Parker once in Oct, Havasu once in Oct, and Havasu the first weekend of Nov.
I was in a small disagreement with my mother-in-law over the weekend. They were having a little party and wanted my bar stools from my kitchen to use in their backyard. I told them why put nice stools out there because people respect things differently outside and I thought they would get ruined. She said, she'll buy me new ones, and I told her that it is stupid to spend $500 on stools if we could avoid it, it was jsut throwing away money.
She said, you spend $400 a weekend in gas for your damn boat so what do you care if I buy new stools.
When in Parker? I'll be there 10/2 to 10/9.

ROZ
08-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Just catching up to inflation..
Damn dude, Your mother-in-law got got at ya for spending gas money in the boat? Ruthless I tellya!
kinda sucks that she devalued something you enjoy doing, though... Then again, let HER buy YOU new barstools if she feels compelled to do so :D

cdog
08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
I just try to do more floating and less driving. My mother in law's a pain in the ass too. :D

Billy Heinlein
08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
This is about to have a major effect on the economy as well. Try and sell your boat if gas prices are above $3/gallon. Sure there are those who don't care, but the market will become much smaller in terms of new buyers and the less buyers, means builders will lower prices to get the sales and in turn the used market drops as well just as it has in the car industry.
We as boaters have been lucky the past 3 years, the boating market has been really strong because demand has been high, but higher fuel prices will and has lowered demand at this point.
I would not worry about manufactures lowering their prices for long, most of the materials used to make our toys are oil related, so their cost are rising. Look at what you paid for a boat in 2002 vs today, its up 30 to 40%. When we buy the boats we are getting screwed by Mercury big time, what they are charging us for power packages should be illegal. The real issue is not the price of new boats but how many people will simple not go boating at all. With a kid in college and her show horse bills it’s very hard to justify but I always do some how.

dimarcobros
08-25-2005, 01:49 PM
I hear you on prices and I'm lucky I've had to go to a lot of wedding this summer and haven't had to make the decision on whether to go or not. Typical gas weekend is $100 in the Tahoe there and back and $150 to run the boat all weekend from the springs to Topac. Like I said I'm glad I've been busy because that's about $50 per trip more than i would have spend last year and when you multiply that times 12-15 trips it gets expensive.
True but those weddings have cost a pretty penny for you as well my friend. With all the weddings you have in a summer you could go to the river 4 times for the same cost. And you don't have to worry about paying for a room either cause you are always staying at someone's house. However, that comes full circle once we are at the bars. :hammerhea
DMB

Magic34
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I would not worry about manufactures lowering their prices for long, most of the materials used to make our toys are oil related, so their cost are rising. Look at what you paid for a boat in 2002 vs today, its up 30 to 40%. When we buy the boats we are getting screwed by Mercury big time, what they are charging us for power packages should be illegal. The real issue is not the price of new boats but how many people will simple not go boating at all. With a kid in college and her show horse bills it’s very hard to justify but I always do some how.
I have implemented a fuel service charge on our products because the price of plastics have gone way up with the price of fuel.
Yes, the manufacturers costs are rising, but so has their profits. They are going to have to accept a lower profit when demand dips, or they will sell less.

dimarcobros
08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I hear you on prices and I'm lucky I've had to go to a lot of wedding this summer and haven't had to make the decision on whether to go or not. .
I forgot to ask.....how is that lucky by the way? :)
DMB

Billy Heinlein
08-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I have implemented a fuel service charge on our products because the price of plastics have gone way up with the price of fuel.
Yes, the manufacturers costs are rising, but so has their profits. They are going to have to accept a lower profit when demand dips, or they will sell less.
Agreed, it iwll be intersting to see how the manufactures react to less demand and higher material cost. The higher end boats (DCB, Eliminator, Ultra Etc) will have the ability to make adjustments to the market easier. But the guys that were already cutting coners to get market share will have a ruff time. In this type of market a quility used boat will sell qicker then a new one, if new is 100K and a 3 or 4 year old is 75K which is going to sell first. We are making a run to Havasu this weekend may mike one more before we call it a season.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM
When in Parker? I'll be there 10/2 to 10/9.
10/14-10/16
Havasu Sept 30.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 02:56 PM
I forgot to ask.....how is that lucky by the way? :)
DMB
I think he is in the biz, or he had a lot of friends get married.

AZKC
08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
BUUUURRRRRNNNNN :rollside: Getting punked by the Mom-in-Law, thats going to scar you for a while :D
Its all realitive, as far as money goes :rolleyes: the decimal point just is in different spots for different people.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 03:12 PM
BUUUURRRRRNNNNN :rollside: Getting punked by the Mom-in-Law, thats going to scar you for a while :D
Its all realitive, as far as money goes :rolleyes: the decimal point just is in different spots for different people.
Normally, I can beat them in excuses. I lost bad!

dimarcobros
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I think he is in the biz, or he had a lot of friends get married.
We are actually good buddies and I was just poking fun at him. He has had about 12 weddings this summer and still a few to go. He complains that he can't go to the river because of all the weddings he has to go to and then comes on here and says he is lucky to not have to pay for gas. He has a point but i wouldn't say lucky is the right word. :p
DMB <-- just giving U4R a hard time.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 03:29 PM
We are actually good buddies and I was just poking fun at him. He has had about 12 weddings this summer and still a few to go. He complains that he can't go to the river because of all the weddings he has to go to and then comes on here and says he is lucky to not have to pay for gas. He has a point but i wouldn't say lucky is the right word. :p
DMB <-- just giving U4R a hard time.
Damn, he should get in the biz. Might as well get paid or something else that rhymes with it while there. Was he inspired by that awesome movie this summer or does he know the people? :D

dimarcobros
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Damn, he should get in the biz. Might as well get paid or something else that rhymes with it while there. Was he inspired by that awesome movie this summer or does he know the people? :D
LMAO!!!! He is not that clever. :D He has been in most of them so he has gotten some pretty cool best man gifts, but also had to pay for a tux each time.
DMB

77charger
08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
I havent done as many trips this year not enough time.Luckily for me everything i own runs on 87 oct,The boat has a 350 mag not a big block so it can go 3 days with 30-35 gallons.
I aint all that rich so higher prices put a dent but i do get the oppurtunity to work alot of ot on saturdays so i just save the money i make for boat,camp trips.
Seems alot of people are still paying no matter what they get the biggest motors avail and still go as long as this continues the prices will rise since it doesnt seem to affect manys habits.I still see old mohos going down the freeways towing an older or newer boat,or toys(those mohos are lucky to get 5-6 mpg) new pushers,toyhaulers,etc

PHX ATC
08-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I sold my boat at the right time. Realistically, I would have cut back on trips and when I did go, I would cruise slower and park/beach the boat. Same old stuff when conserving fuel.
Although, Lake Powell would be tough...I would pony up the cashola and haul to the nether regions of Powell as it's well worth the extra $200 or so for a week's worth of exploring.
In our regular lives I've combined up trips to when I go to/come home from work into doing errands then, instead of a separate trip. My wife does the same thing.
I've comtemplated selling one of my trucks and buying a smaller commuter car (remember the "I'm buying a KIA" thread?) for the better mileage. I've been rooting around for a car that I like and the only thing I can find that would get better mileage and be "acceptable" for my egotistical and materialistic manner is a Benz or a BMW. That's stupid as both my trucks are paid for and I would only save $5000 over 5 years in less fuel costs. Big deal.
I guess I've said "ENOUGH" and made some changes already and maybe looking to change some more. I'm right there with you.

cola
08-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I still have money I saved when gas was only $ 2.00 a gal. WFO :D

Kim Hanson
08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Im at $1.04 a litre, so thats like $4 something a gallon here......( . )( . )........ :cry:

coolchange
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
If I run it hard I might use 30 gal in a week end! But the crewcab has 1.85 gas still in it.

framer1
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I find myself justifying the cost of ins. over gas prices. At 4,800 hundred dollars if I only use my boat ten times it is 480 dollars per trip. Than you throw in the price of gas at least a 100 dollars a day it can get pretty brutal. With all that said I don't see giving up boating any time soon but I still like to bitch about it :D

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Thats easy eat breakfast at home, NO MORE SPRINGS FOR BREAKFAST... So in turn that hurts them...
No more full throttle runs to Moabi and back... Now the pace is 60 or so with an occasional burst...
The other day friends had never been on the boat and the lake was pretty empty, so we did a full throttle run to Moabi turned around and came back , needless to say that was about 225 BUCKS, for that little show....

Ziggy
08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I kinda laugh a bit seeing how some of you say "slowed it down, only cruise around 40" and so on. I find justification in my decision to have put smaller power in my boat. I love speed as much as anyone else but I just didn't feel the need to spend the extra several grand for the big power and extra MPH, economy was my goal. My intuition couple years ago was right.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 07:04 PM
I kinda laugh a bit seeing how some of you say "slowed it down, only cruise around 40" and so on. I find justification in my decision to have put smaller power in my boat. I love speed as much as anyone else but I just didn't feel the need to spend the extra several grand for the big power and extra MPH, economy was my goal. My intuition couple years ago was right.
Come on, my cruise is still most people's WOT.... and im getting great gas mileage

Backfire
08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
I live about three miles from the ramp and my 8mpg tow vehicles are only used when boating (otherwise I'm driving a Chevy Metro) My 21'cruiser is paid for and is insured by "space management". Even this year, my boat has never used over $40 worth of gas in a day. Still, I've cut my boating some and hang by my pool instead because I'm between jobs and recovering from an otj injury.
I don't know why I felt compelled to sell my moho and runnerbottom and buy a Metro two years ago, but I'm glad I did!

98 Vector 21
08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Ya I scream Uncle......I buy gas everday $20.00 a day five days a week! And thats in my 03 Matrix with a 6speed...... :mad:

Ziggy
08-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Come on, my cruise is still most people's WOT.... and im getting great gas mileage
Wacka's are efficient, always have been....I'm talking more about the ones with twin 575's, blown this, blown that...ya know what I'm sayin'? The big trend may take a turn 180 degrees.

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 07:11 PM
It is called inflation. You can quote me on this and I mean this for real. Gas will be above $6.00 a gallon before to long.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 07:26 PM
It is called inflation. You can quote me on this and I mean this for real. Gas will be above $6.00 a gallon before to long.
and my pay check will still be the same

Ultrafied
08-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Gee, just because we can only do 40 WOT, doesn't mean that we should be made fun of ... :) (JK)

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 07:35 PM
and my pay check will still be the same
Not at this rate. Paychecks as you put it are lagging about 30% of what we are paying in gas. Think of gas as an extra tax. And if you are in CA think of it as a luxury tax.

Throttle
08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Have not made any changes. I recall gas prices being this high last year, I am only glad we were able to get through most of the summer before the prices really came up...

sorry dog
08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
With the fuel prices where they are at right now, which by they way are beyond out of control, what have you changed?
Would you.........
Stop using your boat this year?
Use the boat less?
Just use it again once the prices went down?
Use it the same amount?
Use it the same amount in the number of trips, just park my ass on the beach all day?
Buy a wacka?
...or be like JBB and drive a Ford Ranger everyday :D

HM
08-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Not at this rate. Paychecks as you put it are lagging about 30% of what we are paying in gas. Think of gas as an extra tax. And if you are in CA think of it as a luxury tax.
Gas was $1.20 in 1985 My pay annual pay was about $12k/ yr
Gas is now $3.00 Last year I made $150K (this year I should come close to doubling that).
Gas prices up 250%
My income up 1250% (based on last year's income)
My pay is fairing quite well.
Oh yah....THE SKY IS FALLING. :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Gas is now $3.00 Last year I made $150K (this year I should come close to doubling that).
Gas prices up 250%
Ok I'll play this game...
Gas in 2003 was at .99CENTS
my pay was XXXXX
today gas is $2.99
TODAY MY PAY IS STILL THE SAME.......
So im really screwed by what 200%....
:hammerhea
Oh yeah.... THE SKY REAL IS FALLING....

HM
08-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Ok I'll play this game...
Gas in 2003 was at .99CENTS
my pay was XXXXX
today gas is $2.99
TODAY MY PAY IS STILL THE SAME.......
So im really screwed by what 200%....
:hammerhea
Oh yeah.... THE SKY REAL IS FALLING....
Where are all the complaints about when gas prices went down???
I am just pissed I didn't by more oil stocks. Oh well, I'll just take a cruise at WOT of 40MPH and forget all about it. :) :)

a catered life
08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
thats not legal is it :yuk:

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Gas prices up 250%
Well you must have something to do with either owning your own business or working on a commission. Whereas, most of the US and boating comm. Do not own thier own bus. Think before you talk please.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Where are all the complaints about when gas prices went down???
I am just pissed I didn't by more oil stocks. Oh well, I'll just take a cruise at WOT of 40MPH and forget all about it. :) :)
Gas prices were steady at 1.29 for along time, then the dramtic changes started occurring about a or 3 years ago...
BUT GUESS what as someone else stated, motor oil is still the same price ... GO FIGURE

SummitKarl
08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Gas prices were steady at 1.29 for along time, then the dramtic changes started occurring about a or 3 years ago...
BUT GUESS what as someone else stated, motor oil is still the same price ... GO FIGURE
easy to figure..............look who is in the white house.......all OIL MEN!!!
BTW killer your numbers equate to 300% screwed (sorry)

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
What are you a demo.....???

SummitKarl
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
What are you a demo.....???
nope!!!!!!!!

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
nope!!!!!!!!
The presidents financials are public information. All interests in public or private companies are public as well. Just because he is form texas dont mean s%^t.
If you want to talk about some funny shit, here it is. I want you to guess where AZ gets it's fuel from..
CA. And it is pumped in and driven on trucks and still 50-60 cents cheaper then CA> The god damn state is going BK and nobody sees it but the economists.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
BTW killer your numbers equate to 300% screwed (sorry)
can you explain...
If im paying 1 dollar
and now im 3 dollars is that not a 200 % increase....

SummitKarl
08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
The presidents financials are public information. All interests in public or private companies are public as well. Just because he is form texas dont mean s%^t.
If you want to talk about some funny shit, here it is. I want you to guess where AZ gets it's fuel from..
CA. And it is pumped in and driven on trucks and still 50-60 cents cheaper then CA> The god damn state is going BK and nobody sees it but the economists.
this is correct for western AZ, PHX metro has a pipe line all it own, I think it orginates in New Mexico, Jordy will have more accurate info on this than I
If by chance your old enough to remember the same thing happend to gas when his Daddy was in office
BTW I did 40yrs in SanDiego and watched gas go from $0.30 a gal to it's now $3.00 plus

HM
08-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Think before you talk please.
Thanks, I will. Wow, I am so enlightened now!!! :notam:

Magic34
08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
True, but that rate of inflation is not the norm. The feds try to keep inflation at a consistent 2%-3% and after the past few years, when we were really in a recession (they just didn't want to admit it), the rate is above 2%-3% in general, but way above that in the boating industry.
Average inflation of 2-3% per year does not equal a boat $20k+ more expensive 3 years later.
$6/gallon, sure if the economy keeps up with it.
I think that they are just trying to find that point where it really matters. I also think that they are close to it with $3/gallon. Businesses will not be able to keep operating if the consumer doesn;t want to pay any more and fuel has everything to do with so much that we purchase and need everyday.

Magic34
08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I will. Wow, I am so enlightened now!!! :notam:
You never called me. :notam:

Cole1313
08-25-2005, 09:16 PM
True, but that rate of inflation is not the norm. The feds try to keep inflation at a consistent 2%-3% and after the past few years, when we were really in a recession (they just didn't want to admit it), the rate is above 2%-3% in general, but way above that in the boating industry.
Average inflation of 2-3% per year does not equal a boat $20k+ more expensive 3 years later.
$6/gallon, sure if the economy keeps up with it.
I think that they are just trying to find that point where it really matters. I also think that they are close to it with $3/gallon. Businesses will not be able to keep operating if the consumer doesn;t want to pay any more and fuel has everything to do with so much that we purchase and need everyday.
You think of inflation alot differently then I do. My number comes close to 10%. Figure in gas, sales tax and the normal CPI, this is conservative. So investments have to earn more then 10% just to break even.
Now gas going to $6. This is the norm world wide!! Will it stop you from driving.. No!!! You will look for ways to accomodate it. Like working longer hours. There is no way around it. Look at gas prices world wide and you should feel lucky here in the U.S.
My feeling like they do in many other parts of the country is to use propane as an alternative fuel. It is done in Europe, and South America.

HM
08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
You never called me. :notam:
hey, I didn't say when I would call. I will make a point to call you within a week- it is that I know we will have an hour + conversation.
Also, I know that right now I am a bit closed minded on the subject, so I don't want to be a waste of your time.
:D

Magic34
08-26-2005, 07:35 AM
You think of inflation alot differently then I do. My number comes close to 10%. Figure in gas, sales tax and the normal CPI, this is conservative. So investments have to earn more then 10% just to break even.
Now gas going to $6. This is the norm world wide!! Will it stop you from driving.. No!!! You will look for ways to accomodate it. Like working longer hours. There is no way around it. Look at gas prices world wide and you should feel lucky here in the U.S.
My feeling like they do in many other parts of the country is to use propane as an alternative fuel. It is done in Europe, and South America.
I am not doubting that at this very point in time that inflation could be around the 10% mark. I personally dont think it is that quite that high, but it is close, so let's call it 9-10%. If we sustain a high rate of inflation like this, or anything above 7% or so, the market will fall flat on its face. If gas goes to $6/gallon too soon, many things will change and our market will be in a very vulnerable position.
All economic models that I have studied show that in an ideal market, a 2%-3% rate of inflation is a safe rate to grow on and still keep the economy moving in the right direction.

Magic34
08-26-2005, 07:35 AM
hey, I didn't say when I would call. I will make a point to call you within a week- it is that I know we will have an hour + conversation.
Also, I know that right now I am a bit closed minded on the subject, so I don't want to be a waste of your time.
:D
Sounds good, just giving you a hard time. :D

PHX ATC
08-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Not picking on you Mike, but all three things in your signature picture are fuel eating machines! :D

Magic34
08-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Not picking on you Mike, but all three things in your signature picture are fuel eating machines! :D
Well, I use the thing on the back of the truck the most and that gets some killer MPG. Still on the same $10 I put in about 45-60 days ago. :D
Now the boat and truck, different story.
The point of this thread was to see what everyone's point of changing how they live with their boat would be.
Turned into some good conversation as well.

PHX ATC
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
My boat has turned into a horse trailer which gets unlimited miles per hay bale. :D

jackpunx
08-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I drive mine the same.. but use it a little less..
3gal a min at wot.. AV gas.. LOL
besides the price of gas.. I have to be carefull that I dont run out.. it goes quick.. so I have to be sparing.. Usually a tank will last me the day at parker.. but not always..
(55 Gal tank)

meaniam
08-26-2005, 09:02 AM
I've certainly kept my "unnecessary" car and boat excursions to a minimum this summer and will continue to do so. I've also become more conscious about shopping around for the best price on gas when I can.
the funny part is when you hear someone shopping around for gas and they end up at arco and use the debit card (35cent) they off set the price with that

meaniam
08-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Flame on!
100 dollars is a 5 lap dances at the strip club

Kilrtoy
08-26-2005, 03:30 PM
HEY SUMMIT KARL...
I still have not gotten my answer

cdog
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
the funny part is when you hear someone shopping around for gas and they end up at arco and use the debit card (35cent) they off set the price with that
For me that adds less than 1.1 cent per gallon when I fill my suburban. I thought of that too. Usually arco gas is 5-10 cents cheaper. I've never had a problem with their gas. I've used it in a 10 to 1 327 and even in my boat now.

riverroyal
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
start a boating related business,put the name on the boat and my fifth wheel,and even my truck.then start stock piling gas reciepts,just like everyone else