PDA

View Full Version : "How Do I Get My Boat in the Magazine?"

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
First of all, yes, Hot Boat has a magazine.
Recently I've gotten a bunch of PMs from readers asking how they can get their own rockets into Hot Boat. There are various ways a hot-boat owner can break through into the magazine. Sometimes we will attend an event (Classic V-Drive Regatta, Lake Texoma Poker Run, etc.) and see something we like enough to turn into a feature story. Occasionally I'll receive a "Reader Rides" submission via snail-mail that's interesting enough to shoot professionally.
This was what happened to Jim Brockman, a Pantera owner who mailed me a submission earlier this year. His letter was brief and neat, and he included photos depicting various views of the boat. He included both his email address and some phone numbers where I could contact him. Here was his submission:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2898brockman.jpg
I called Jim and asked if he'd like to come to Lake Elsinore, CA, where I frequently photograph boats. He said he'd be delighted to come. Later, when I'd pinned down a date for the shoot (March 30, 2005), I called to let him know, and he said he would plan to attend. Jim, along with more than a dozen other boaters I'd invited, came to the lake on the appointed day. I had hired a couple of swimsuit models, and posed them on the boats that showed up. Feature stories based on this shoot began appearing over the summer. Jim's Pantera is showcased in the current (9/05) issue:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2898greengoddess2.jpg
Meanwhile, other boats (John Miller's Miller, Dan Fahrenkamp's Kurtis Kraft, Clint Tinker's Brummett, Tony Papandrea's Schiada) shot the same day have also already appeared in Hot Boat, while others are patiently waiting for their own articles to appear. (Are you listening, Larry Thompson?)
Readers are also welcome to email me digital images of their hot boats to bbayne@lfp.com for consideration. I am planning to do another shoot at Lake Elsinore in mid September. If you think your ride is the bitchenest thing to ever hit the water, I want to hear from you.
Brett @ HOT BOAT

riverracerx
08-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I want to see a feature on the RiverRacerX Regatta next year. :cool:

bordsmnj
08-27-2005, 02:16 PM
hot boat has a magazine?

LAFD
08-27-2005, 02:22 PM
hot boat has a magazine?
nope! :notam:

HCS
08-27-2005, 02:23 PM
What magazine? :confused:

HocusPocus
08-27-2005, 02:24 PM
thanks for the great info, i know that question has to get asked alot. :)

Phat Matt
08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
You guys should add an "Audio Tech" feature. I am sure people would be into new tips and tricks and custom installs. You could feature my new boat first. :D

PlyaPlya22
08-27-2005, 02:30 PM
You guys should add an "Audio Tech" feature. I am sure people would be into new tips and tricks and custom installs. You could feature my new boat first. :D
This guy is thinking :D

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 02:30 PM
id only put my boat in this mag is djunkies neighbor was the bikini model :cry: :cry: :boxed:

HOOTER SLED-
08-27-2005, 02:31 PM
First of all, yes, Hot Boat has a magazine.
Recently I've gotten a bunch of PMs from readers asking how they can get their own rockets into Hot Boat. There are various ways a hot-boat owner can break through into the magazine. Sometimes we will attend an event (Classic V-Drive Regatta, Lake Texoma Poker Run, etc.) and see something we like enough to turn into a feature story. Occasionally I'll receive a "Reader Rides" submission via snail-mail that's interesting enough to shoot professionally.
This was what happened to Jim Brockman, a Pantera owner who mailed me a submission earlier this year. His letter was brief and neat, and he included photos depicting various views of the boat. He included both his email address and some phone numbers where I could contact him. Here was his submission:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2898brockman.jpg
I called Jim and asked if he'd like to come to Lake Elsinore, CA, where I frequently photograph boats. He said he'd be delighted to come. Later, when I'd pinned down a date for the shoot (March 30, 2005), I called to let him know, and he said he would plan to attend. Jim, along with more than a dozen other boaters I'd invited, came to the lake on the appointed day. I had hired a couple of swimsuit models, and posed them on the boats that showed up. Feature stories based on this shoot began appearing over the summer. Jim's Pantera is showcased in the current (9/05) issue:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2898greengoddess2.jpg
Meanwhile, other boats (John Miller's Miller, Dan Fahrenkamp's Kurtis Kraft, Clint Tinker's Brummett, Tony Papandrea's Schiada) shot the same day have also already appeared in Hot Boat, while others are patiently waiting for their own articles to appear. (Are you listening, Larry Thompson?)
Readers are also welcome to email me digital images of their hot boats to bbayne@lfp.com for consideration. I am planning to do another shoot at Lake Elsinore in mid September. If you think your ride is the bitchenest thing to ever hit the water, I want to hear from you.
Brett @ HOT BOAT
While you're on the Pantera tip. :D :D
I got a pretty clean one for ya. :idea:

HM
08-27-2005, 02:37 PM
When they had the boat name contest, he called me to see if I was available to bring my boat down to Elsinore. I thought it was a prank call...I was like ***boat has a Magazine?...yeah right. :rollside: :rollside:

lucky
08-27-2005, 02:42 PM
alright -- since we're on the subject of pictures -- may be a circle event or speed skiing event ??? I think with fuel the way it is, all the ballers are going to down size - lets get back to basic's with 21 and under :D

Tom Brown
08-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey ***boat, I have a picture of a dump I took after eating a salad bowl full of spinach salad that I think you should consider publishing.
It looks like cumulo nimbus clouds. :cool:

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey ***boat, I have a picture of a dump I took after eating a salad bowl full of spinach salad that I think you should consider publishing.
Great...I can hear it now: "Hot Boat has a spinach salad?"

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks for the great info, i know that question has to get asked alot.
Almost as much as this one: WHO is that in your avatar???

lucky
08-27-2005, 03:09 PM
boy if i could be the sweaty spot in the front of her shorts for a day :idea:

Roman 1
08-27-2005, 03:21 PM
It looks like cumulo nimbus clouds. :cool:
***boatediter,
Allow me to take this opportunity to apologize for the less sophisticated types that drag thier nuckles through here :squiggle:
...eat me Tom! :cool:

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Allow me to take this opportunity to apologize for the less sophisticated types that drag thier nuckles through here
If I wanted to surround myself with sophistication, I probably would not have gone into the marine industry... :smile:

bordsmnj
08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
well shit after i'm done workin' on it i'm gonna shine her up and take pictures.might just take them myself and send them out or actually go to elsinore and scrub off the green stuff when i'm done. thanks for coming out with the open invite. -jas

topless
08-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I do remember my ex (we won't say his name) emailing you saying his boat was better than the other ones you put in there and why can't he be in the magazine. You told him something about him eating sour grapes. I still laugh about it.

bordsmnj
08-27-2005, 03:31 PM
sophistacation? i think i gotta box of that crap laying around somewhere in the garage.

Squeezing Spectra
08-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Damn you gotta do all that i heard all you had to do was get the editor a hooker ? :devil:

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I do remember my ex emailing you saying his boat was better than the other ones you put in there and why can't he be in the magazine. You told him something about him eating sour grapes.
It doesn't sound like something I'd say. The phrase "sour grapes" does not refer to jealousy or being a sore loser. It deals with the rationalization of failure to attain a desired end. In the original fable by Aesop, "The Fox and the Grapes," when the fox realizes he cannot leap high enough to reach the grapes, he rationalizes that even if he had gotten them, they would probably have been sour anyway.
Damn you gotta do all that i heard all you had to do was get the editor a hooker ?
Yes, that will also work. :) I'll make your boat the cover of the Performance Section if she's really hot.

Roman 1
08-27-2005, 04:31 PM
It doesn't sound like something I'd say. The phrase "sour grapes" does not refer to jealousy or being a sore loser. It deals with the rationalization of failure to attain a desired end. In the original fable by Aesop, "The Fox and the Grapes," when the fox realizes he cannot leap high enough to reach the grapes, he rationalizes that even if he had gotten them, they would probably have been sour anyway.
Hey poindexter, your overestimating the reading comprehension of these yuppies in here.
Roman :coffeycup :notam:

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey poindexter, your overestimating the reading comprehension of these yuppies in here.
I'm overestimating them by explaining a CHILDREN'S FABLE? :confused:

CornWater
08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm overestimating them by explaining a CHILDREN'S FABLE? :confused:
Yes...

Mrs.Racer277
08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Great...I can hear it now: "Hot Boat has a spinach salad?"
You now have my favorite avitar!!! :) :)

Rev. Williams
08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
I know who it is !! :D :D
Any chance you can email me that pic in a larger format? I'd like to frame it for her. She'd love it.
Shooter@Socal.rr.com
Thanks
P.S You do know that's my girl right??

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 06:36 PM
it sounds like getting your boat in hb is harder than restoring it. is this true?? i've seen boats on here that i would love to read an article on. i think we all should vote a boat that gets an article in hot boat. call it the boat vote. i know it sounds silly, but it may work out just fine

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Will she pose for the magazine?
Brett

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 06:40 PM
What happened to Mike Finnegan? There were a bunch of articles by our own Mikey but lately nothing.....???

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
What happened to Mike Finnegan?
He sold his Rogers and bought the second-coolest Ultra in the universe!
GO MIKE!!!

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Is he still writing articles for you guys? We really enjoyed them. :cool:

Mrs.Racer277
08-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Any chance you can email me that pic in a larger format? I'd like to frame it for her. She'd love it.
Shooter@Socal.rr.com
Thanks
Don't believe a word this guys says. :wink: :wink: J/K Rev, love ya.
And BTW tell Court that is a great pic. :cool:

bigkatboat
08-27-2005, 09:05 PM
"Mr ***boateditor" thank you for the complement! We all like to think of ourselves as 'lower than you'! ("do you think I would have gone into the boat industry?") Does speaking down to the "Hot Boat Models", and us please you? Those ladies are in the process of making a modeling career for themselves, they are not satisfied with "just a boat magazine" as their future. They had to endure the wrath of your many 'professional' editors durring the shoot, and then be nulified again by you here. I have read a number of articals in the magazine, and then have known the boat/ person that you featured. Both the owner of the boat and my own knowledge say that many of the "facts" told in those articals were incorrect. I don't want to get into a Pis&ing contest here, but you guys need more credibility! We see you as a "advertizing hog" and not a 'resource' for performance boaters. Please learn more about HOT BOATS, and then work on putting out a magazine that has a broader vision of what HOT BOATERS really want. Thanks for reading.

CornWater
08-27-2005, 09:09 PM
. I don't want to get into a Pis&ing contest here, but......
That is exactly what you want...

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 09:32 PM
"Mr ***boateditor" thank you for the complement! We all like to think of ourselves as 'lower than you'! ("do you think I would have gone into the boat industry?") Does speaking down to the "Hot Boat Models", and us please you? Those ladies are in the process of making a modeling career for themselves, they are not satisfied with "just a boat magazine" as their future. They had to endure the wrath of your many 'professional' editors durring the shoot, and then be nulified again by you here. I have read a number of articals in the magazine, and then have known the boat/ person that you featured. Both the owner of the boat and my own knowledge say that many of the "facts" told in those articals were incorrect. I don't want to get into a Pis&ing contest here, but you guys need more credibility! We see you as a "advertizing hog" and not a 'resource' for performance boaters. Please learn more about HOT BOATS, and then work on putting out a magazine that has a broader vision of what HOT BOATERS really want. Thanks for reading.
I'd give you a penny for your thoughts, but I'm afraid I'd have to ask for change...

Brooski
08-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Shooter@Socal.rr.com
Thanks
Jerry, here is the link to the pictures Brett put online. Great pic of your girl, by the way.

***boateditor
08-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Jerry, here is the link to the pictures Brett put online. Great pic of your girl, by the way.
I don't think that link showed up, Brooski.
Is the Rev's gf the lady in his avatar or the girl in MY avatar? Either way, he's a lucky SOB!

Brooski
08-27-2005, 11:01 PM
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNWzFizbNmox
LMAO. Well, intelligence or lack thereof was mentioned in this thread. :confused: Is that better. Revs girl is in yours, Brett. I dont know who the one in Revs avatar is.... :idea:

bordsmnj
08-28-2005, 12:29 AM
***boat editor, brooski was telling me that my earlier post sounded like a was just being a smart ass. well, i was dead serious. just thought i'd clear any misconception. :shift:

***boateditor
08-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Revs girl is in yours, Brett. I dont know who the one in Revs avatar is....
They're both gorgeous women! Rev's gf will be featured in the next issue. I will post a larger photo of her in the Image Gallery soon!

Phat Matt
08-28-2005, 07:02 AM
HBE, I was just getting ready to quote your riveting post, but you changed it. :supp:

***boateditor
08-28-2005, 07:35 AM
HBE, I was just getting ready to quote your riveting post, but you changed it.
Matt, PM me and I'll put your Commander classified in the magazine for free!

Phat Matt
08-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Matt, PM me and I'll put your Commander classified in the magazine for free!
That's way cool of you! I am on the road on my way to Vegas so when I get on the pc there I will hit you up. I am just testing out my new phone now. It's pretty cool. :D