PDA

View Full Version : MY buddy Joe got a boat......

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Its not exactly "Hot"....its an 83 Invader.... :cool:
Someone gave it to him for free. They were moving to Oregon and it wasn't worth the hassle to take it. He has never had a boat so he asked me to go over it with him. After I finished laughing....( :hammerhea ) I hopped in and we went over the important items....
No hole is the hull......well OK just one, but it was connected to a ball valve and an aireator for the bait tank. So we closed the ball valve.. :p
Opened the engine hatch.....hmmm volvo four banger. Oil was clean. Spark plugs were alright, no broken hoses.....battery was full of water, no gas fumes. Gas was probably old, but who knows.
The bellows had a pinhole that only leaks when the drive is up, no water coming in when its down. That old 3 blade prop is a Smithsonian candidate though...sheesh its like an antique.
I had to hookup my jumper box to it, but the darn thing fired right up in his driveway. Putt putt putt putt putt. He was ready to hit the water.....I'm like, OK, but no kids, no wives....just us and some life vest and two big oars.
I took him down to San Diego Bay. He has no tow vehicle... :hammerhea I laughed at the image of my nice truck with the Laveycraft sticker towing the old Invader down the freeway....Oh well. We made it to the ramp...I had checked the bearing buddies and they were all greased up. The tires were newer so I figured we'd make it alright.
The bow eye rope was pretty frayed but we were ready just in case, it failed. Took off the tie downs, put in the plug and backed it down. The plug was all rubber with an expander in it....no threads... :eek: OK so it is floating. I let it sit a few minutes on the trailer just to see if it would.
He has zero clue about boats. He is just excited like a kid at Christmas to have one...He asks how his Invader compares to my Lavey...I try to make a polite analogy...and mumbled something about a 74 Pinto compared to a new Corvette...LOL "Dude, its free, its a place to start, you will get a better one soon," I tell him. Just find out if your family likes it first. He is already talking about getting a used custom.....it took me a bit to explain the difference between Ultras, Howards, Laveys and Maxims and Bayliners.... :cool: :cool:
Anyway I back it off the trailer. Donk. Engine dies... LOL I throw a bow line around the trailer light and pull myself closer. "This is why we didn't bring the kids," I explain. I get it started and make a break for the courtesy dock....I secretly have my fingers crossed. He watches excitedly from the ramp...then runs over to help tie it up. I let it idle for a bit. It putts there contentedly. I go and park the truck. I chuckle to myself as I turn my head back to watch as I back the rig into a spot. The trailer is so ghetto. :hammerhea But it was free......
As I trot back down to the dock I see Joe all happy and giggle with his gift. It was so funny. I pop a couple of beers to christen his brown Invader. We restart and head out to the bay.......
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_003-med.jpg

Sleek-Jet
08-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Did you tell him this shit's like drugs????
The first hit maybe free... but the rest is gonna cost... $$$$$$$$$$$$$
:D
I wish him calm seas and sunny days.

HocusPocus
08-27-2005, 07:11 PM
sounds like a fun adventure and a good place to start him on his way to the world boats. at least he doesn't have a big investment in it.. in case his family doesn't like boating. :)

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 07:12 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_001-med.jpg
As we clear the breakwater coming out of the launch area, I give it some more stick. The poor old motor is not pleased. No knocks, but no satisfying roar like the V8's I am used to.
We slowly power up as we move along behind a cargo ship going by. I get the thing up to 3500 rpm and it is not happy. Didn't hardly get on plane....I back off as I note the smoke coming from under the rear seat and engine hatch.. :eek:
We return to an aggressive idle and plow our way slowly across the bay. I give Joe the wheel and head to stern to open the motor hatch. What is all the smoke about......I think it is just all the oily crud burning off the block I tell him :rolleyes: The thing hasn't been used in years he tell me... :hammerhea
Just keep it slow and steady Joe....I examine the rubber lines and keep an eye on everything. Nothing leaking....no knocks, just a cruddy old 4 banger I suppose..
We cruise slowly and eat some Cheez-its and down a couple of Tecates that I had packed. He is jazzed to be on the water. It is an awesome evening. About 5:30, super clear, no traffic since it was Monday night. I longed to have my own boat so we could haul ass across the water and really have some fun.....
Oh well. Another night perhaps. We went over rules of conduct and appropriate behavior...not hogging the ramp, not causing a bothersome wake, the usual stuff we all gripe about. He wants to come to the river with us sometime. Sure I tell him. Maybe next month....
I suggest he heads back to the ramp and not push our luck out here. It hasn't blown up yet.....He has a buddy at the Coronado Yacht Club who does mechanic work there...."Better take it down there" I tell him. You know, get it checked out.. :rolleyes:
We make it back to the courtesy dock without any real mishaps. (Whew) :cool: The wife calls, wanting to know if we are alright...Yes its OK we are back....don't call the Coast Guard....

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah, but i bet neither one of you will ever forget that day. :cool: welcome to boating no matter what you own, and a four banger huh? good on fuel, i bet he's a hit

bordsmnj
08-27-2005, 07:15 PM
so what happensnext? :rollside:

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 07:18 PM
He will be a good boater. He is concerned about doing the right things and wants to be "River Aware" :chi:
He takes good care of his family and is active in his community. They are in escrow on a new house and will be looking for a used family performance boat in a couple of months. We'll need to show his wife and kids how much fun it is out there.
Once we get back to his house he asks about cleaning it up. I laugh again. What's to clean dude? I explain how I hose off the hull, then hook up to the hose and let it run while I wipe down. He asks about seat cleaning and I tell him about Mr Clean Magic Erasers, but suggest that just a little Simple Green ought to be enough for this vessel....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_002-med.jpg
I put it up on the sideyard for him and head home. He is busily wiping down....all happy and shit.... ;)

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
man check out that interior, brings back memories. hey at least the guy wants to do the right thing. sounds like a nice dude. hope he likes it and gets a nice boat soon.

76ANTHONY
08-27-2005, 07:27 PM
when i bought my boat it was such a piece of sht i just sat in it in the side yard and got drunk with my roommate, at least his ran enough to get it in the water. hey i did have cheez-its though. :D :D

bordsmnj
08-27-2005, 07:27 PM
yeah! another one bites the dust. he's hooked :D

DeputyDawg
08-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Man-de-lone posted--We cruise slowly and eat some Cheez-its and down a couple of Tecates that I had packed.
Damn, it just don't get any better than that!!
Can any of y'all remember the last time you owned a running boat and didn't have a dime in it? Not even the gas.

Desert Rat
08-27-2005, 07:45 PM
We all started somewhere. Not many of us have the ability to start of with a 50K+ boat. He will move up soon enough. Train him well old enlighten one. :cool:
I'd rather be in a old boat then on the beach!!! :idea:

Man-de-lone
08-27-2005, 07:48 PM
My camera batteries died after the launch ramp pic. It was such a great sunset out there. The pelicans were floating by, the seals would pop up looking for bait snacks from the fisherman. The seals didn't know it was Monday night and there would be only a few fisherman. They only knew that last night there was a lot of scraps thrown to them...
Yep I think Joe is hooked. I promised him a ride in my boat. That'll be fun. He'll be even more fired up then. I think he'll drop about $25K on a used open bow in the next year for sure.
I did get a pic of this thing..It is a tour bus that cruises town. It comes down the launch ramp and plows right into the water. Gives a tour of the bay and then powers back up the launch ramp. I think it has a simple Bravo drive in the back. Looks lilke fun. I'd love to cruise that through the channel. Maybe across the sand bar...LOL :hammer2:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_004-med.jpg

Keyser
08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
I have my jet but my father-in-law has an 87 searay IO that he has no place to store anymore. I keep it at my house for him and he pays insurance and tags. It's the same as this boat you guys are talking about. My pops loves this searay, he's never been on a boat before and he Hates my jet, says you can't go fishing on it. But its fun sometimes to just go putt around.

Jyruiz
08-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Cool of you to go thru all that with your friend, and like I always say, "what ever gets you on the water" I wish him luck.

a catered life
08-27-2005, 09:18 PM
We all started somewhere. Not many of us have the ability to start of with a 50K+ boat. He will move up soon enough. Train him well old enlighten one. :cool:
I'd rather be in a old boat then on the beach!!! :idea:
good point paul when i bought my first boat (and i'm not joking $500) all it had was a floor, engine, drive, steering wheel, and hull. it had no seats no frames, not engine cover,no paint :( i spent i whole year putting that thing together and finally got it running like a champ and looking half decent and on my first holiday trip to blythe some guy paid cash for it right on the river $4500 :) he let me ride the kids for thr remainder of the weekend but on monday morning he was at my camp site waiting for the pink so dont worry about what you have as long as you are happy and having fun

ShutYaPieHole
08-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Nothin like a maiden voyage....................My first time out i smiled so much i gave my self a headache........congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throttle
08-27-2005, 11:00 PM
man check out that interior, brings back memories.
yep, of one of my old mans boats, cool

RiverToysJas
08-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Right-on! That's just the kind of boat I'm looking for, for harbor booze cruises in Long Beach and Huntington! :idea:
RTJas :D

ROZ
08-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Right-on! That's just the kind of boat I'm looking for, for harbor booze cruises in Long Beach and Huntington! :idea:
RTJas :D
You've been drinking Rum and vanilla coke again, haven't you :D

BajaMike
08-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I want one of these......
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42Day_on_the_Bay_004-med.jpg
Cruise the bars in Dana Point, and then just come plowing down the launch ramp with that big bus/boat.... :D :D
That would blow some minds..... :confused: :eat: :hammer2:
Great story...ya...he's hooked...like we all are.

RiverToysJas
08-27-2005, 11:32 PM
You've been drinking Rum and vanilla coke again, haven't you :D
Chris, you're going to disappear again aren't you? :hammer2:
And YES....I am enjoying the Capt's company tonight..... ;)

JetBoatRich
08-28-2005, 06:04 AM
He is on the water :D and hooked :D
Wish him luck from the ***boat Club :idea:

Kim Hanson
08-28-2005, 06:19 AM
That looks tits compared to some of the crap I see in the water up here and they buy them like that :D Tell him good luck with the boat Mandy..........( . )( . )........... :cool:

wsuwrhr
08-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Cool....
He already knows about the FIRST day of the two best days of owning a boat.
The two best days of owning a boat, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.
Hopefully you get to use it the day you buy it, to maximize the effect of the first day.
Brian

BarryMac
08-28-2005, 07:52 AM
I know where he can get a Carrera Jetboat. :( :( :(

superdave013
08-28-2005, 08:13 AM
My dad has a boat kinda like that. Not an Invader but those are mid west boats so you do see a lot of them back there. My dad's sits in front of his house in the water every day. It's a 1980 I think and he bought it new. I took the old crusty for a spin a few weeks ago and it still runs good. (for an old slow dog) It's taken countless people for thier first boat ride and many many new skiers were pulled up behind it.
Your friend's seems to be in pretty ok shape for it's age.
Nothing wrong with it if you ask me. I say his family should use it for at least 2 seasons so he knows if he wants to really get in the game or not. And by then he'll know what type of boat will truly suit his family's needs. I bet his kids will have a blast!

BigDoug
08-28-2005, 08:44 AM
So that was you (Rich) going down the freeway with the big Lavey sticker on the back window :eek:

jtmarten
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Looks like a sweet boat for free!
Question though. What makes this thing such a POS in most of your eyes? The guy got it for free, and if he and his family have fun in it, its still a POS 'cause it didn't cost a billion dollars? Its all what you reference it to, then all of you have a POS compared to someone elses boat that cost 2 billion dollars. Sounds like this poor guy will be Rudolf until he spends megabucks on a 'cool' boat, then he'll get to play with the rest of the reindeer. Sorry, just reflecting the attitude I see in this thread.

Man-de-lone
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Question though. What makes this thing such a POS in most of your eyes? The guy got it for free, and if he and his family have fun in it, its still a POS 'cause it didn't cost a billion dollars? Its all what you reference it to, then all of you have a POS compared to someone elses boat that cost 2 billion dollars. Sounds like this poor guy will be Rudolf until he spends megabucks on a 'cool' boat, then he'll get to play with the rest of the reindeer. Sorry, just reflecting the attitude I see in this thread.
I think you'd see it different if you rode in it. I don't read where I called it a P.O.S. I might have insinuated it.... :hammer2: You know, cuz it pretty much is. :D
It barely makes planing speed and it would have blown up if we ran it over 3500 RPM for another 100 yards. Its like a 74 Pinto. With dents. One that needs a rebuild. Its brown and everything. Sorry if you got offended. I thought it was pretty nice to take my time to tow him to the ramp, show him the drill and tow him back home....I am not too boat snobby. I would let him raft up with me. Well..........As long as we had lots of fenders... LOL :D

coolchange
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
We slowly power up as we move along behind a cargo ship going by. I get the thing up to 3500 rpm and it is not happy. Didn't hardly get on plane....I back off as I note the smoke coming from under the rear seat and engine hatch.. :eek:
Question though. What makes this thing such a POS in most of your eyes? The guy got it for free, and if he and his family have fun in it, its still a POS 'cause it didn't cost a billion dollars? Its all what you reference it to, then all of you have a POS compared to someone elses boat that cost 2 billion dollars. Sounds like this poor guy will be Rudolf until he spends megabucks on a 'cool' boat, then he'll get to play with the rest of the reindeer. Sorry, just reflecting the attitude I see in this thread-jtmarten
I think Mande pretty much calls 'em as he sees 'em....
Me personaly, if it'll float and hauls an ice chest its cool. Even if it's a cool POS!!

Havasu_Dreamin
08-28-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't see where anyone called it a POS, but lets be honest, it aint even close to the type of boat that the vast majority of people on this site own or that the magazine, I heard a rumor a magazine does actually exist, that is affiliated with this site "reviews".
As long as the guy that owns it is happy, it's all good, but lets not get any delusions of grandeur on what it is and is not.

Man-de-lone
08-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Lets be honest. I hinted it was a POS because it is a POS. I am not saying all old boats are shitty....but this one is shitty..... :notam:
I did not dog it in front of him. I talked about how great it is to be on the water, and how much fun his family would be having as they learned about boating. I talked about all the cool people I have met out on the water. And the ones he will meet. I talked about how you always need to help someone if they need it, about how not to be a lame-ass on the water.......
This old brown boat is secondary to the fun of boating.....that's what I tried to convey. The seats are ripped, the motor barely runs, the hull is scratched, the trailer is rusty and scabbed together. The thing is a POS... LOL. :rolleyes: But heck, it was free, and it will introduce an excited quality individual to our hobby.
POS or not, its gonna be fun.

a catered life
08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
where was this picture taken? :confused:

Sportin' Wood
08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
That is a pretty nice boat for free! The interior looks nice, sounds like the engine is kinda tired though. The best thing is, the guy can learn to drive it and dock it and ding it and all that stuff on a free boat rather than beating himself up over a dock ding on a $25K boat. It holds an ice chest and will pull his kids on a tube, so looks like good times to me. Very cool of you, Mandy, to tow it for him and show him the ropes.
OOPS! MMSW building up Sportin' Wood's post count again!

Mandelon
08-29-2005, 07:30 AM
where was this picture taken? :confused:
San Diego Bay, Harbor Island, I think, right across from Humprheys.