PDA

View Full Version : Big blow coming

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 07:28 AM
I hope all you southern Louisana members are on your way out of town......Katrina has been upgraded to a catagory 5.....And winds are now at 175 MPH.......Any last minute posters from the New Orleans areas?? Hoss, you going to make it through this? And I know there are several others down in that neck of the woods....Imagine living in a town that is BELOW sea level, and expecting the storm surge to be 20 feet ABOVE sea level....If any of you are still there, heed the warnings and hit the road north. Road west, I 10, is a parking lot right now, but the latest word is there are other routes to the north, that are open..........Good luck guys and girls, may the force be with you...........MP

Not So Fast
08-29-2005, 08:12 AM
After living in Havasu for 3 years now and boating here for 30 years and seeing the winds we get I cannot even imagine what winds of that speed would be like. I'll take the earthquakes, thank you!!! :frown: NSF

OGShocker
08-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I was down there last week, fishing with my buddies. We had 7 out of 9 days of perfect weather. The whole week we were waiting for the other shoe to drop. I guess it is about to do just that.
I hope everyone fairs well through this monster. :clover:

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Wait 'till you see what it's gonna do to the price of OIL! :hammer2:

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 09:56 AM
gas will be .25 a gallon more,,,garranteed

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I've heard several weather people say that if there was a higher rating than a 5, this would qualify. National Weater svc said some blowing debris will include household appliances, building debris and small light CARS!!!
25 foot storm surge will precede it. Some estimates of 2-3 months until New Orleans would be open again. :(

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 10:14 AM
new orleans,theres some areas in that town that need a good wash down,I hope no one dies though.Gonna be some good TV tommorrow mornin,Im taking the day off to watch

JB in so cal
08-29-2005, 10:15 AM
new orleans,theres some areas in that town that need a good wash down,I hope no one dies though.Gonna be some good TV tommorrow mornin,Im taking the day off to watch
:D :D :D

FHI-prez
08-29-2005, 10:21 AM
From the perspective of riding out 6 hurricanes, I can tell you this: sorry Naulins...good luck :clover: I helped in the rebuild effort after Andrew, and lemme tell ya, it's very sobering to see what these big storms can do. This is going to be even nastier than Andrew, and the fact Naulins is below see level multiplies this exponentially. Even if the storm goes east of town, Lake Ponctatrain (sp?) will likely fill up downtown. Power will be down for months, sewage strewn through the streets, potable water gone, severe structural damage likely, possible structural damage to high rises. The best to those in the affected area, be careful leaving.
Nick

FHI-prez
08-29-2005, 10:23 AM
only problem is....the piss on the sidewalks will be replaced by sewage when the water receeds. Unless something drastic happens, that town is ****ed.

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
i was watching the news earlier when Bush came on talking,no video,just audio.I couldnt believe how little he talked about the doom thats about to happen and he jumped right to iraq stuff,Im thinking the country doesnt need Iraq issues for a few days

a catered life
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
this sucks my parents are here visiting and my mom is tripping over this dam hurricane......my sister is still there and my mom thinks she can do something 3000 miles away......my dumb ass cousin calls my mom here and scares the shit out of they.....but she never called my sister at the home in mobile :confused: wtf...all i can do is pray for my family and hope for the best........

BoatPI
08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
That place may be flattened, or completly underwater. Understand that the storm surge, aka tidal wave in slow motion, will be 20' high.
Let's see, the city is already 20' BELOW sea level. Sad.

RiverOtter
08-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Hopefully Hoss won't respond because he is getting the hell outta dodge :jawdrop:

Jbb
08-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Gonna have to bump up my departure time to Phoenix.... :eek:
I was gonna leave in the morning....but sooner now maybe 1-2 am...I think If I get west of Miss. by land fall I can make it .....Im hoping 20 isnt a parking lot

AZKC
08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd leave sooner :jawdrop: I thought landfall was around midnight. Saw some stuff right now with reports of 207mph wind gusts, Holy Crap. As big or bigger than Camile. I wonder if those Weather Channel guys are going to try this one on for size. I can here it now"Hey Jim you get to go to New Orleans and cover the landfall" Jim "Thanks but I think that is more so and so's area" Good Luck folks.

crf311
08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
We left yesterday. Wish us luck. The storm is projected to go right over our house. Looks like we will lose everything. Might not be able to go home for 2-6 months. The worst part is will be sitting in TX wathching the distruction on tv. At least we will be Alive. Keep us and everyone who will be affected in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks Robert

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
thoughts are with you guys,,,,,,you in a rv or???

Desert Rat
08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I know its kinda cold to say but screw the material stuff and get your family safe. You can replace all that stuff. Hope all turns out ok for everybody.

Liberator TJ1984
08-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Hope everyone makes it out OK...its gonna be BAD........
Saints Stadium ......indoor K-Boat racing anyone ?????

crf311
08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
No we just loaded up the Tahoe & Avalanche, Took all Pictures, papers,Family and cloths and pets. Left everything else. I mean everything , Boats , Harley, vettes and all other toys , everything you work hard to enjoy. Oh well thats what we pay insurance for. Hopefully they will pay out. Our house is half a block from the Mississippi River, our business is right on the intercoastal waterway. I doubt they will be there when we return We are fortunate, we could leave, There will be a lot of people who don't have a method or means to leave, Those are the ones I feel for.

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 12:40 PM
west,let us know,be in havasu for the holiday,give ya a beer and a boat ride!...doesnt mean much compared to what your going through,but keep us updated

Liberator TJ1984
08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Looks like there are 2 more in the making according to NOAA :jawdrop:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb_latest/refresh/danger_atl_latestBW_sm2+gif/204619123_sm.gif

a catered life
08-29-2005, 01:26 PM
i'm not going to tell my parents about this new news

Jbb
08-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Headin out now...gonna kick the Hurricanes ass.....and bring back a boat....I hope.... :D

Mrs.Racer277
08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
No we just loaded up the Tahoe & Avalanche, Took all Pictures, papers,Family and cloths and pets. Left everything else. I mean everything , Boats , Harley, vettes and all other toys , everything you work hard to enjoy. Oh well thats what we pay insurance for. Hopefully they will pay out. Our house is half a block from the Mississippi River, our business is right on the intercoastal waterway. I doubt they will be there when we return We are fortunate, we could leave, There will be a lot of people who don't have a method or means to leave, Those are the ones I feel for.
Wow. Good luck to you and your family. Please keep us posted. It is amazing how this crazy HB family will come together when one of our own is in a time of need. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Not So Fast
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
How right you are, sort of cold to think of this when there are so many lives that will be lost due to this storm but on one report they were saying that the oil platforms in that region were in such bad shape structure wise,that a number of them will collapse. does that mean an oil spill is imminent? This is all this country needs, what a shame :( NSF

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM
if you can,my guess is gas will be going up by tommorrow morning.The news was just saying theres 10s of thousands of people going in the superdome,and they have no idea if the roof on that place can with stand 170mph winds!!Ive been there is right on the water,this is going to be bad...

Miss Perfect
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
This one is going to be bad. I'm watching CNN now and it's not looking good at all. I'm keeping all of you guys in my thoughts.

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 02:48 PM
its cool,,,think of me next week,,thanks though :rollside:

Miss Perfect
08-29-2005, 02:51 PM
its cool,,,think of me next week,,thanks though :rollside:
Ok, I'll reserve next week for you. Happy now? :p

riverroyal
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
thanks

NashvilleBound
08-29-2005, 03:09 PM
if you can,my guess is gas will be going up by tommorrow morning.The news was just saying theres 10s of thousands of people going in the superdome,and they have no idea if the roof on that place can with stand 170mph winds!!Ive been there is right on the water,this is going to be bad...
The winds are expected to be 160mph at landfall. The say it can withstand the winds..."but has never been tested". I guess this is the test...with 30-40,000 peple inside. They also said that no wood structures will survive. We were just there last week.....really Gulf Shores, AL....they are still recovering from the last storm. At least we brought back 1500lbs of fish....... I do feel for all the people down there.

RiverOtter
08-29-2005, 03:10 PM
The winds are expected to be 160mph at landfall. The say it can withstand the winds..."but has never been tested". I guess this is the test...with 30-40,000 peple inside. They also said that no wood structures will survive. We were just there last week.....really Gulf Shores, AL....they are still recovering from the last storm. At least we brought back 1500lbs of fish....... I do feel for all the people down there.
I was wondering where you were at :idea:

NashvilleBound
08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Got your message....sorry...we just got back.

Not So Fast
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
YES, you were right on, my Yahoo front page says that oil futures for Monday in Singapore are already over $70 a barrel. all of the production from that area in the gulf of Mexico will be shut in (633,000 bpd) 7 refineries closed and a major crude oil terminal also closed because of the storm. Will it get worse ?????????????? you can count on it !!!! NSF

Brooski
08-29-2005, 03:36 PM
They just said oil futures jumped up $5 a barrel. On Fox, Shepard Smith is on Bourbon Street, he does not look happy to be there.

Brooski
08-29-2005, 06:29 PM
ttt
Keep praying for them.

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 08:15 PM
This storm is being called the worst ever to hit ANYWHERE in the 48 states. N.O. is in deep ca ca..................As well as the rest of that region. I'm remembering the locals from Morgan City from last years race, Wow, those people are only begining to feel the aftermath of this Monster, (!/2 the size of the Gulf of Mexico)...........All up and down that coastal area....And alot of it is "just" above sealevel without the pumping equipment that N O has...I got a real bad feeling about this one........Ray

Sleek-Jet
08-29-2005, 09:14 PM
I hope they get the ports re-opened quickly for all the international aid that sure to be on the way to the region... :rolleyes:
I guess we'll have to wait and see what the dawn brings. I could give a flip about oil prices, I just hope everyone makes it through this.

Moneypitt
08-29-2005, 09:41 PM
With all this coverage about the monster headed for NO, I haven't seen one little clip of any of the pleasure boats hauling up river. The fishing fleets? Are these boats just sacraficed? The must be thousands of boats in the harbors down there, yet not one mention of them........MP

Mrs.Racer277
08-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Hopefully Hoss won't respond because he is getting the hell outta dodge :jawdrop:
Hoss had his family leave but he stayed at the house. :frown: Eveyone say a prayer for him.

Moneypitt
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. If you looked up stuborn fool in the dictctionary, there would be a picture of Hoss.......Best of luck to you buddy, hope to hear from you soon.........MP

Miss Perfect
08-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Hoss had his family leave but he stayed at the house. :frown: Eveyone say a prayer for him.
I was thinking about Hoss last night. I'm sure he's fine. He seems like one tough guy!

Mrs.Racer277
08-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I was thinking about Hoss last night. I'm sure he's fine. He seems like one tough guy!
He last posted at 1:15am on the inside line. Let's just hope he lost power only. :(

Vada
08-30-2005, 07:11 AM
I just read that the Hurricane just ripped part of the SuperDome's roof right off.....
Does anybody have any details on this???

Miss Perfect
08-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I just read that the Hurricane just ripped part of the SuperDome's roof right off.....
That's what I heard on CNN too. Parts of it were coming off.

pjones
08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Foxnews.com & weather.com have some good photos.
They'e getting hammered down there in a big way.
And it's getting worse apparently...