PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Anyone use any of the monocular or binocular type night vision glasses? I was kinda looking at them.

77charger
08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
I have some they work decent but really good under a full moon use when i go camping just too look in the distance see a few animals roaming.Now get some gen 3 ones and they will be bright but are spendy.

OGShocker
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Monoculars are the best for me. When you stop using it you still have some natural night vision in the other eye.Try this one... (http://www.nightquest.com/itt_night_vision/nightMariner160.htm) I like this unit a lot.

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I was looking at this pair in Gen 1 just to play with. Gen 2 & 3 are way to expensive. These are made by ATN
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ATNNightShadow2NightVisionBinocular_Picture.jpg

OGShocker
08-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I was looking at this pair in Gen 1 just to play with. Gen 2 & 3 are way to expensive. These are made by ATN
http://www.atncorp.com/i/1.gif
You can find (google) IR luminators that should help your G1. Good luck.

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
They just add extra light?

OGShocker
08-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Here is a "cheap" sample (http://www.mscelectronics.com/nightvision.htm)

Kindsvater Flat
08-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Gotcha.

Rod-64
08-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I have one. It seems to be easier to have someone be looking through them under way.........it's too bouncy and erratic to look and drive the boat. Mine's a monocular.

Kindsvater Flat
09-01-2005, 06:08 PM
I ended up ordering the ATN binoculars like the ones in the pic above except I sprung for the gen 2+ pair. Bad part is I have to wait 2-4 weeks for delivery.:(

burtandnancy
09-01-2005, 06:36 PM
A few years ago you could buy the Russian version from a surplus store for next to nothing. Give it a try...

spectras only
09-01-2005, 11:34 PM
A few years ago you could buy the Russian version from a surplus store for next to nothing. Give it a try...
Hey Burt , want to hear a good one ? I used to build those russian units back in the 60's . I've worked in an optical ;)
factory in Budapest ,where we manufactured military equipments for the russians, including the IR night vision units for tank commanders.We had "made in the ussr" engraved on everything that was made for them. Here's the funny part . As most of you know the huns were opressed by the ruskis [ as we called them ]. We took great pleasure finding out why we had so many returns of these units :D .The fockers were jolted by the 30.000 V [ power supply for the rtc tubes ] grounding themselves , when they touched metal inside of the tank :D :D :D . These units were attached onto their helmets , so one can imagine the frantic search for the on/off switch :D .I wish I could have stolen one of the 60 power binocs we made for the submariners too. The 2 and 4 meter single tube mirror telescopes brought a window of a building from 40 km's in sight.In 68 we started experimenting with gas lasers [ for peaceful purpose only of course :shift: ]
,but by then I've left and gone working for a film laboratory .
30 yrs later I started at creo here in vancouver,where I've met laser technology again . We are part of the Kodak corp as they bought us this year. Hopefully Kodak will be a big player
in the thermo imaging [laser] digital field .You can read about creo [ subsidiary of kodak ] . Ps; I don't recommend buying that russian viewer .The only thing what they made that was half decent is the AK 47 . I had it in the army and it was quite accurate at 200 yrds :D

Liberator TJ1984
09-02-2005, 05:00 AM
KF , I got one for my AR and its a Gen 1 w/ IR Illuminator < <<that I only use in total darkness , no need to turn on the IR if there is Starlight etc...
It is very clear up to about 200yards , further with moonlight
ex....1/4 moon or so at 100 yards you can see :D who is drinking what :coffeycup

lucky
09-02-2005, 05:40 AM
Anyone use any of the monocular or binocular type night vision glasses? I was kinda looking at them.
parinoid that the louisainaa looters are coming north after your watermellons , mike ??? lmao

rivergoer
09-02-2005, 06:22 AM
i train with night vision goggles alot, some hints...learn to use the focuse and all the light dials on them. once you get the hang of adjustments you will be able to dial them in for all sorts of night light conditions. make sure that you do not ever let the lenses hit direct light..it will ruin the special lense and they will not ever work as good. what direct light does is it will fry the light magnification crap in the special night vision lenses. also get a pair wit a good infrared light attachment.. you can turn on the infrared and it will brighten everything up by 3 times or greater...once you actually learn to use them any gen will work great..for just typican night viewing pleasures gen 1 will work great..you just need to play with them and learn to use them..i use all three types..for different excersises in the marine corps. well anyway have fun..also they are great for catching glimpses of thoses midnight outdoor sex addicts in the campgrounds :rollside: :rollside: