PDA

View Full Version : Found a Rattle Snake-Pix

Outnumbered
08-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Came home today and found this baby rattle snake coiled up by the front door in a shady corner. We walked by it twice before we even saw it :supp: Rattle was silent--too small. First snake I have seen since being here in AZ for a year and a half. I have been on lots of hikes and rides in the desert too.
It was pretty small, maybe 12-14 inches long. I caught it with a shovel and put it in a 5-gal bucket I was using as a trash can in the garage. I put a lid on the bucket and drove it to some open desert away from the houses and let it go. Felt bad for the little guy and didn't want to kill him.
Anybody know the exact species and if I should be concerned about more? Neighbors seem to think that there are more since its a baby.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973baby_rattle.JPG

Outnumbered
08-29-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973baby_rattle-med.JPG

Outnumbered
08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Looks like a Diamondback to me but I'm not positive.

Sleek-Jet
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I've had to dispose of a few here at work... they like to slither up on the cement and take a nap.
I try not to kill them because they keep the rodents down, but if they're all wound up and rattling, it usually turns out real bad for Mr. Snake.

cdog
08-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Watch out for those suns of bitches. They are more deadly than the adults.

Throttle
08-29-2005, 10:20 PM
there could be more, they are more dangerous because they cannot control the amount of venom they release until they get bigger. Looks like a diamondback..... or maybe a COBRA, (seen lots of them lately).

Wyoming
08-29-2005, 11:30 PM
It's definantly not a cobra! I'm almost positive it's a Diamondback, here in Wyoming we have alot of rattle snakes just your typical rattle snake. That one looks a little different, I'm sure it's a diamondback.

obnoxious001
08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
I am not a snake expert,, but this "prarie rattlesnake" sure looks to have the same markings even though it only shows into eastern Arizona on the map.
http://www.pestproducts.com/images/prrsnk.jpg

2Driver
08-30-2005, 07:28 AM
They have a second hatching in late August. THese guys are hard to see at dusk. I have had some close calls walking between the garage and the house.
Be sure your yard is secure especially if you have kids or pets. We get about 5+ a year up here and see them on most hikes we go on.

Vada
08-30-2005, 07:29 AM
I would sh!t my pants if I came across have a dozen snakes or more during the course of a year :2purples:

Redneck
08-30-2005, 07:32 AM
least it wasnt a one eyed spitting cobra those can be bad

Jordy
08-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Looks like a Diamondback to me but I'm not positive.
I would say Western Diamondback. ;)

Outnumbered
08-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Be sure your yard is secure especially if you have kids or pets. We get about 5+ a year up here and see them on most hikes we go on.
Anything I can do other than the obvious--keeping the doors and garage doors shut?

TCS T
08-30-2005, 07:59 AM
I caught an identical looking one in my house on Saturday morning. I heard the dog playing with something in the back of the house, so I went to investigate and found The identical looking snake (mine was only 6" long though) coiled up and ready to strike my dog. I got a shovel picked it up and put it in a tupperware container, when it un-coiled, it started sidewinding around the container, I did a little research and found out it is a type of sidewinder that does not get much bigger than 12-18 inches, and does not carry a very potent amount of venom. I am definately keeping my doors closed more often now! The article I read said that these are very popular in the Las Vegas area because of all the home development in the outskirts of the desert, which is exactly were I live! Good Luck! Travis

boxscore
08-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I am not a snake expert,, but this "prarie rattlesnake" sure looks to have the same markings even though it only shows into eastern Arizona on the map.
http://www.pestproducts.com/images/prrsnk.jpg
Good homework there.

OutCole'd
08-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Looks like a grizzly to me.

superdave013
08-30-2005, 09:26 AM
You would be correct Jordy :)
As I have said before "Being a Park Ranger does have some benefits." To bad having weekends off is not one of them yet :mad:
Benefits? Like you have your own cat at your work place. I have not seen it but hear it's a big mofo. It seems like every time I go to the Oaks the latest sighting was the day before. :jawdrop:
Can you tell me what areas it's seen at most of the time? I ride out there by myself all the time and well, you know, don't want to be part of the food chain if I can help it.
Sorry for the high jack. Those snakes are fun to bunny hop on a mountian bike. They seem pretty pissed when the second rider comes up though.

76ANTHONY
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
looks like a belt, wow somebody just left an expensive belt at your front door? man you are the luckiest guy in the world :D

AZKC
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
You would be correct Jordy :)
As I have said before "Being a Park Ranger does have some benefits." To bad having weekends off is not one of them yet :mad:
You sure thats not a Mohave Rattlesnake, Mr Ranger :notam: :D
http://www.fws.gov/arizonaes/images/SpeciesImages/JRorabaugh/05-30-2000/ReptilesB/Mojave%20rattlesnake.jpg

Jordy
08-30-2005, 09:36 AM
You sure thats not a Mohave Rattlesnake, Mr Ranger :notam: :D
http://www.fws.gov/arizonaes/images/SpeciesImages/JRorabaugh/05-30-2000/ReptilesB/Mojave%20rattlesnake.jpg
I do believe that the black and white bands on the tail just before the rattles kind of distinguish it from other types of rattlesnakes. If I had to guess, I'd say the diamonds aren't as distinguished as they will be as it matures. ;)

Jordy
08-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Good call once again Jordy.
Thanks. I knew spending my whole life in the desert would pay off someday. I had no idea it would be in the field of ID'ing rattlesnakes on an internet message board. :D :D :D

superdave013
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
None of the sightings have been confirmed but most have been around the bottom of waterfall or in the willow basin. BTW I am over at Peters Canyon now. Come see me there :)
figures, Waterfall is the most fun trail out there. Well it is now that the OTHER one next to it got closed down.
Peters Canyon, I'll leave that place for the XC guys that feel the need to go up Big Red.
Thanks for the info.

PHX ATC
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
I second the Western Diamondback.
Who really cares...it's a freaking venom filled, ground hugging, puss filled nasty creature.

Jordy
08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Who really cares...it's a freaking venom filled, ground hugging, puss filled nasty creature.
Damn Toby, don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel. :D :D :D
On a brighter note, they do their part to help keep the rodent population in check, so that's somewhat of a purpose. ;) :idea: :D

AZKC
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
I do believe that the black and white bands on the tail just before the rattles kind of distinguish it from other types of rattlesnakes. If I had to guess, I'd say the diamonds aren't as distinguished as they will be as it matures. ;)
Agreed, the tail on the one in the bucket was off the screen till I scrolled over I didn't see them. Touche' :boxed: :D
Mr Ranger my humble apologies :smile:

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
If it is from Arizona it is sure to be a beautiful snake
:D :D :D

AZKC
08-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Now thats a an oxymoron "Beautiful Snake" :hammerhea
Hi Deb :)

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Hello
:D

Rexone
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
they do their part to help keep the rodent population in check, so that's somewhat of a purpose. ;) :idea: :D
So do rat traps. :D

Debbolas
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
When I worked in the forest service the firemen would kill the rattlers around the fire station with shovels and we would BBQ them up.
They taste like.............wait for it...............CHICKEN! :D
It's just weird to see them all coiled around the spit.......

Throttle
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
oh yeah, I'm tryin to find a pic of the last one.