PDA

View Full Version : camcorders

victorfb
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
anyone has some insight on camcorders? looking to get one soon and have no clue what to look for. will be used to video our boating events and desert runs. not looking for high dollar stuff, just entry level. id say in the $600 range.

victorfb
09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
ok, 40 people looked but noone wanted to give me advice so the internet and the surprisingly knowledgable chick at best buy helped me make the decision. i ordered the canon alure90 from best buys web site since the store wasnt able to get them in yet. well go figure, they are back ordered and probably wont see it for another few weeks. im so bummed out. ive lived without one for 40 years now, but now that i know im getting one im freakin out on what i cant record in the next few weeks. well i realize this forum seems to gear toward stereo stuff, but if any of you are into the cam corders, id like to find out what the best software for editing and such would be. i wanna make some cool river vids.

Starloans
09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I subscribe to Consumer Reports magazine. It is very helpful in making decisions on everything from vacuum cleaners to BMWs. I never buy anything unless I check the mag. But let me guess, you don't subscribe. No problem. You can go to consumerreports.org (www.consumerreports.org)
and subscribe. $26 for the year or $5 a month. It's worth the money.
You learn more than what's the best price. You learn stuff like the difference between digital zoom and optical zoom etc. I bought a Canon ZR70 last year. It had a good rating in the mag for the price with all the options I wanted. It has everything incuding some basic software to download video to a computer. I think Best Buy was selling them for $549. I went to a search engine and typed the model # and bought it from an elctronics store online for $389 plus shipping.
If you are waiting on the next latest model to come out, that could be a mistake. The latest model doesn't necessarly mean it's the best. Check the website and rethink your purchase. Good luck.

victorfb
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
wow, thanks man. and yes your right, i am not a member. however i did research that site and many others before i made my purchase. reason for going with best buy is that i had a $600 gift card for them, so i wasnt about to throw that away. sure there are deals elswere but i was stuck with best buy for this one. all the reports i read ranked the canon alure90 high. basically #1 for the price range and atleast 20x optical zoom. there were a few higher ranked but none with more than 10x optical zoom, so i think i made a good choice. just bummed on the back order deal. when looking for extra batteries and such ill definatly do some shopping. thanks again for the responce. good or bad i am allways looking for opinions.