PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV or cable...

Cole
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I went to Circuit city yesterday and bought a 55" Sony tv and a surround sound system, the sales guy was trying to sell me Direct tv. We want the best picture quality and sound with all the Tivo capabilities.... What do you like Direct TV or Cable??

JB in so cal
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
DirecTV:Cable as DCB:Bayliner
soooooooo. It'll run $200 for a billet remote?

Cole
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
DirecTV:Cable as DCB:Bayliner
Why....what do Direct TV offer that cable doesn't.
Cable has on-demand which is cool...you can choose any movie from a library, and it starts right then and there .

riverracerx
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I just bought the 55" 3LCD sony TV for $2699.00
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/KDFE55A20.jpg
It is amazing! Ordered Digital HD cable. (I only have analog now)
Was going to do Direct TV but I need 6 receivers. :jawdrop:
Going with 2 HD receivers and regular digital for the rest of my TV's.

Cole
08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I just bought the 55" 3LCD sony TV for $2699.00
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/180x180/KDFE55A20.jpg
It is amazing! Ordered Digital HD cable. (I only have analog now)
Was going to do Direct TV but I need 6 receivers. :jawdrop:
Going with 2 HD receivers and regular digital for the rest of my TV's.
Same tv I bought!!!!! That is the problem I have now..which will provide me the best all around picture!! I only need 3 recievers...how do like your system????

Cole
08-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Circuit city had a deal I could not refuse....no interest financing 10% off everything and are delivering today at 3:00!!!! :D :D

Dawn Patrol
08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
One of the biggest advantages with Directv, you can take your receivers in motorhome, vaction house and have it any where you want. I always take 2 receivers with us to the River or Glamis.
Cable's on demand is a very nice feature.

Cole
08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
One of the biggest advantages with Directv, you can take your receivers in motorhome, vaction house and have it any where you want. I always take 2 receivers with us to the River or Glamis.
Cable's on demand is a very nice feature.
Good point on taking your reciever!!!!
plus you own your reciever vs leasing.

riverracerx
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I really bought the TV for the upcoming Xbox 360. I put it in my loft for "daddy" to enjoy! My Xbox now is like a whole new system, stepping up to HD 480i. Halo 2 looks spectacular! Went from a 32" CRT to the new set.
I don't have a DVD or digital cable hooked up yet, but I am sure it will look superior to anything I have previously owned!

riverracerx
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Oh, and no payments for a year!

jbtrailerjim
08-30-2005, 01:00 PM
I have Direct TV and I like the product but there customer service when I've had to deal with them sucks!

goneboatin
08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
The reason I stayed with cable when I bought the plasma is that Direct TV and the other satellite outfit charge about $400 for an HD receiver whereas cable is only an extra $9 a month for HD channels. When the satellite outfits start giving the HD receivers as an incentive, then I'll go to satellite.
Another plus is the newer TVs have cable card access - the cable company provides the card so you can get rid of the cable box.
Right now cable works best for me.
:)

ROZ
08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I've never seen digital artifacts with Direct tv, but I have with Digital cable...

Stoneman
08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Why....what do Direct TV offer that cable doesn't.
Cable has on-demand which is cool...you can choose any movie from a library, and it starts right then and there .
NFL SUNDAY TICKET!!!!
The only reason I have direct tv.. You can just buy the NST and go with cable for the rest. DTV Picture is very good

jtmarten
08-30-2005, 01:54 PM
DirecTV will have on-demand with their new DVR receivers. Those of us that have TiVo will have to switch to the DirecTV brand DVR to get it though.

Nord
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I've had both and I'm going to have to agree, DirectTV is way better. The only problem is that you need a box for each TV, but the picture is digital quality with the option of HD!
The Digital cable doesn't have the same picture because everytime you add a TV to the line, you get a weaker signal producing a weaker (slight snow) picture!

Nord
08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
They now also have dual tuners for DirectTV, which means 1 box = 2 TV's!

goneboatin
08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
The cable card does not eliminate the need for a HD receiver. You can pick up a good sat HD receiver for less than $200. DirecTV is not in the business of selling equipment, you're better off just going to Circuit City or eBay.
My TV has a built-in HD tuner. Sorry for not stating that earlier. Some of the "HD ready" sets need an HD tuner, where as mine is plug and play.