PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here.........

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Run their own business as far as buying and selling boats/cars for a living. I mean as far as doing it on your own out of your own place, not doing it for someone else making money for them? A buddy of mine and myself are possibly looking in to buying boats/cars, and doing a little refurb if needed, and selling them. Just curious to know if anyone has tried, and how successful they were? Get back to me, tired of making money for my boss, lol........Durango R/T

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
does that,up by the I10 and the 15

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Inland Boat, is that a local place, or someone in the forums that does it? Im just looking to see if anyone here has done it personally. We were looking in to buying and selling boats/cars, doing a little refurb and selling for a profit. Just curious to find out if anyone has ever taken on a venture like this? Thanks......Durang R/T

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 10:30 AM
dont think,they advertise alot in boat trader etc,ive been there,they have a reconditioning area in the back,think they get repos etc

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Do they seem to do a pretty good business, or look like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for a buck? I work at a car dealer at the moment, and would love to get out, and make some money for myself instead of for my boss, so Im just thinking through different business ideas with another guy I work with, and was wondering if anyone was successful at doing it.....Durango R/T

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 10:38 AM
in business for at least 5 years,thats when we bought our first boat.They had good inventory,i was affraid to buy there though

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Kind of a sketchy place huh? I guess its all in how you run it, and who you have working for you. Just looking for some good ideas for my own business I guess. Ive been in to cars since I was little, and know a bit about boats, and my buddy has been in to boats forever, so thats why we were thinking along those lines. Thanks.....Durango R/T

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 10:45 AM
a good business if its done right,they just had a big yard with guys working on boats,fiberglass,paint,stuff i didnt want to see.The prices were good,i just had that cheap used car lot feel.Also the boat brokers in havasu,they sell alot

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey, thanks for all the help riverroyal, much appreciated. Guess Ill just have to do some more research and see where it goes.....Durango R/T

riverroyal
08-31-2005, 10:54 AM
used boat market is huge,new ones are getting pricey

sdpm
08-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Be prepared to back up and warranty what you sell. There is no such thing as "AS-IS NO WARRANTY" and you will get alot of them and they eat up profits real quick. Liability insurance will also kill you. It can be done, but it is not as easy as it seems. In San Diego this is what the Boat Brokers do and seem to do fine. They only buy and sell newer stuff and repo's and consignment boats.

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Brokerage meaning they take other peoples stuff, do all the leg work to sell it, and take a cut of the profit right? Thats not a bad idea either I suppose. I live up here in northern Michigan, by all the great lakes, so the used boat market is huge up here. We were thinking of buying and selling and that kinda stuff. I havent gone as far as to check liability insurance and all that, thanks for tossing that out there. Just throwing ideas around in my head at this point, Im just sick of making a profit for my boss, lol, but who isnt right? Durango R/T

HocusPocus
08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
i do it for a hobby but its always nice to make a few bucks. :)
the first boat i bought was a 1985 20' bayliner open bow with a 140 evinrude.. the motor did and still runs great the hull was in good shape but the interior was rotted out. paid $700.00 including the trailer put $350.00 into it and sold it for $2600.00. :)
i do 2-3 boats a year.

SB
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah I've done a little. Start slow and buy one car at a time. The auctions are inflated with drug money. See if you can find a guy with a dealer license to run titles for you for $200. Find an area where the neighbors don't complain about paint fumes. If you sell cars for anything over about 3-4k, you're going to have to finance them. Good luck.

DURANGOR/T
08-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the good information guys, appreciate it. I guess Im going to have to start digging a little deeper and see all the ins and outs before I decide what to do, but all the info helps all the way. Thanks again guys........Durango R/T