PDA

View Full Version : Boat Bottom Blueprinting

cdog
08-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Has anyone had it done? How much did it cost? Where did you have it done at? Any places in Socal? How much speed did you pick up? Thanks.

boater72
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
What size boat?

cdog
08-31-2005, 01:02 PM
What size boat?
29 shockwave.

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 01:13 PM
29 shockwave.
Corey, insman's 29' Mag was blue-printed...
Truthfully if the bottom works, I don't think you'll gain much

cdog
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Corey, insman's 29' Mag was blue-printed...
Truthfully if the bottom works, I don't think you'll gain much
There's been a lot of talk about how the 29's have not gone as fast as expected with the stock engine's. I'm about 5mph off what I expect right now. It's hard to say if there's an actual hook in the boat at this time. I've talked to people that have got 3-5 mph gains with a hull blueprint. Not enough cure time in the mold makes the boat wavy, ( at least that is what i've heard).

Cole
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
I did it to an 18' jet a few years back, it had a pretty good hook in the back. I dont know about doing a boat that size, we had to flip mine over to make it easier. He charged me $600 to do it.

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 01:38 PM
There's been a lot of talk about how the 29's have not gone as fast as expected with the stock engine's. I'm about 5mph off what I expect right now. It's hard to say if there's an actual hook in the boat at this time. I've talked to people that have got 3-5 mph gains with a hull blueprint. Not enough cure time in the mold makes the boat wavy, ( at least that is what i've heard).
that's definitely true...have you talked to Barry?
Anybody with a blue-printed shockwave other than Blane? He's low 70's with 750HP...
I just don't know that THAT bottom will have any benefit from it

cdog
08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
that's definitely true...have you talked to Barry?
Anybody with a blue-printed shockwave other than Blane? He's low 70's with 750HP...
I just don't know that THAT bottom will have any benefit from it
Gary over a GT performance says that they've got 2 of them real close to 100 mph with 540 blower engines. They did do a blueprint on the hulls to get that speed. Has anyone here had a 500 efi in a 29 closed bow do 70 mph?

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Gary over a GT performance says that they've got 2 of them real close to 100 mph with 540 blower engines. They did do a blueprint on the hulls to get that speed. Has anyone here had a 500 efi in a 29 closed bow do 70 mph?
my 29 Closed-bow Cheetah would touch 70 in the ocean with an HO

cdog
08-31-2005, 02:06 PM
my 29 Closed-bow Cheetah would touch 70 in the ocean with an HO
Man, talk about a kick in the nuts. :redface: Is that bone stock?

Steamin' Rice
08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
My 29 had a 500 EFI with the ITS drive and my best speed was about 67 MPH... Typically I saw about 65 MPH for top speed. Shockwave's 29 is a big 29. They built a 29 with a whipple charged 500EFI and it ran around 90 I believe.

dicudmore
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Man, talk about a kick in the nuts. :redface: Is that bone stock?
yes, actually ran best of 69, then added the Rex mufflers and lost a couple MPH, pulled the exhaust turbulators and gained a couple mph...prob back where I started now.
Is obviously a touch slower mid-summer Havasu heat :wink:

Tom Brown
08-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I've talked to people that have got 3-5 mph gains with a hull blueprint.
I've talked to people who get 35 mpg with a full size pickup.
I'd go easy on the 3~5 mph line of thought. I'd be surprised if you could pick up more than 1 mph unless there is something wrong with your hull like a bad hook.
What does it look like if you put a 6' level against it? Even a 4' level will give you an idea of how straight it is. It doesn't have to be perfect.

cdog
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
My 29 had a 500 EFI with the ITS drive and my best speed was about 67 MPH... Typically I saw about 65 MPH for top speed. Shockwave's 29 is a big 29. They built a 29 with a whipple charged 500EFI and it ran around 90 I believe.
That's right where i'm at right now. I guess the next steps would be to lab the prop and blueprint the hull. GT mentioned that they tested the boat on glass and that the boat should be a couple on MPH faster in ruff water. Mabey i'll hit 70mph going down river. :D

cdog
08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
So how are you guy's doin? Are you taking the boat out this weekend? I tried to bum a ride with Barry last week for the scope deal but it did'nt work out.

INSman
08-31-2005, 03:25 PM
My boat is running a bit shy of what I expected for top speed, but it could easily be that the mufflers are the main factor, although my muffler mfg. claims "NO" rpm or speed loss.
I am very tempted to run the boat with the mufflers after the twin 600's are in, and then take them immediately off on the same day to get a good idea of what is or is not happening on that issue.

rivercrazy
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Take your prop down to York Propellors in Fullerton. You will be pleased with the results.

rivercrazy
08-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Which mufflers are you running? I lost 150-200 rpm and about 2-3 mph my best top end numbers after installing mufflers

INSman
09-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Which mufflers are you running? I lost 150-200 rpm and about 2-3 mph my best top end numbers after installing mufflers
I am running the Cyclone Zoomers for mufflers

andy01
09-02-2005, 09:00 PM
It's a Shockwave, they pop those boats after a couple of days. Nothing is cured, beside a lot of those boats have hook designed into them. I remember a west coast builder saying that on here before. Plus again it is a Shockwave, don't throw a bunch of money at it trying to get 70 out of it. Save your money for the next boat.
Andy

BLOWN HOWARD
09-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I believe in doing the bottom if your looking for a 110% out of your boat.

andy01
09-02-2005, 09:14 PM
HOWARD 28 ran an 80 mph with a 525 its what a foot shorter your are right something is wrong with that hull.
That the Lavey, I believe Ultras 28 and I know there are more that run a lot faster then 65. You get what you pay for.........
Andy

Big Warlock
09-02-2005, 09:18 PM
adding Marvel Mystery Oil to your crankcase. Replace one quart of oil with Marvel for every 5 quarts you have in the pan. You'll gain 300 rpm.
:jawdrop:

andy01
09-02-2005, 09:22 PM
If you have to spend all that money on the hull after you buy why buy it. Do a little bit of home work and go with a builder with a good rep. that does it right the first time. and stick that good money on power plant.
Well said, I'll second that!
Andy

TPI
09-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Bottom blueprinting does work, especially if there is a decent size hook to remove from the keel. Where you can run into problems is when you take ALL of the hook out and your boat not only gains 2 mph but it also gains a low speed porposing problem that it never had. Granted, you have tabs you can put down to correct it, but I personally dont think its worth it. If I was running 117.7 and needed to get to 120 for the speed record, and I had exhausted all other efforts(power, prop, etc.......) I would be the first one pulling the motor and interior, flipping the boat upside down on a dolly and "longboarding" the bottom. But to POSSIBLY grab a couple more mph from 65-67 or 68-70, I say....................LEAVE IT ALONE. Go have fun with it.

cdog
09-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Looks like I have a 1/8th inch hook. GT is checking on some X dimension issues. Looks like that may be the problem. We'll see. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

andy01
09-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Looks like I have a 1/8th inch hook. GT is checking on some X dimension issues. Looks like that may be the problem. We'll see. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:
Well at least you have the right guys working on it.
Andy

INSman
09-03-2005, 06:50 AM
I would be interested in where, as I think we have the same boat. Did you do twins and who found the hook ???

Steamin' Rice
09-03-2005, 07:33 AM
If you have to spend all that money on the hull after you buy why buy it. Do a little bit of home work and go with a builder with a good rep. that does it right the first time. and stick that good money on power plant.
It's a Shockwave, they pop those boats after a couple of days. Nothing is cured, beside a lot of those boats have hook designed into them. I remember a west coast builder saying that on here before. Plus again it is a Shockwave, don't throw a bunch of money at it trying to get 70 out of it. Save your money for the next boat.
Andy
What is the problem with Shockwave? I'm on my second one and run in the ocean a lot with no problems.

rivercrazy
09-03-2005, 08:02 AM
What is the problem with Shockwave? I'm on my second one and run in the ocean a lot with no problems.
I second that. Nothing but solid results in my 25 Tremor as well. To the tune of low 70's with a light load. Not bad for a stock 496HO and a 4600 lb boat and a 24 degree bottom. And no quirky handing issues whatsoever.

MOBrien
09-03-2005, 08:19 AM
adding Marvel Mystery Oil to your crankcase. Replace one quart of oil with Marvel for every 5 quarts you have in the pan. You'll gain 300 rpm.
:jawdrop:
you can't be serious.

BADBLOWN572
09-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I would say that bottom bluepringing is kind of a waste of money in my opinion. Unless you have a real bad hook, the amount of money you spend could easily give you performance gains in other areas.
Tom Brown is right, take a 6' level or straight edge and put it on the bottom of the boat. You will see how much hook it has. Typically if it has a lot it can come from ageing over the years or it can come from the boat being popped from the mold too early. Typically #2 is most common.
GT is also right. I would start exploring all other areas before you go and blueprint the bottom. If you are looking for more speed, check out putting on a nosecone, tweeking the prop, shorty lower unit, etc... I think that those would be a much better return on investment if your bottom is not THAT bad.

rivercrazy
09-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Andy
Wow. Someone is misinformed. My 25 Tremor sat in the mold for 6-7 days after final lamination. That is sufficient because Shockwave uses 100% vinylester thorughout the layup. Some manufacturers only use Vinylester in the first layup and then Polyester with the remaning lamination (cheaper and easier but with significant trade-offs). Since Vinylester cures faster, is stronger, and more water resistant, a little less time is required in the mold. Also my Tremor has virtually no hook at all.

superdave013
09-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Pat's fiberglass in Upland did the bottom of my Schiada. Now I went there because of a new strut location ment that the old prop shaft hole needed filled. But they did tune up the bottom at the same time. Strakes are straight and nice and sharp now. And it has a tad or rocker to it now.
I bet if GT needs glass work or bottom work done they send it out to Pat's too.
They are very good but don't go there to save money. They are not the cheepest game in town but one of the best.

HBjet
09-03-2005, 09:27 AM
I would say that bottom bluepringing is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.
I would have to completely disagree...
Even though I have a smaller jet boat (19 foot) out of every modification that was done to make my boat quicker (motor and a lot of pump work) the best "bang for your buck" was having the bottom of my hull blueprinted. Granted, before the blueprint the bottom of my hull wasn't as nice as some of these newer boats, but I couldn't believe the difference in ride, handling, and the hull really loosened up on glass or chop. I think blue printing a hull is a great investment if needed and no matter what bolt on modification you do to your motor or outdrive or prop, etc... your still going to be fighting the hull.
I would recommend Jeff Bennett to do any bottom blueprinting. He can even come out and take a look at your boat and tell you if it's worth it or not. He's seen a lot of the newer boats in the industry and knows what is working and what isn't. I don't know his take on Shockwaves, but I do know he really liked the quality of DCB's when they came out of the mold.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3fix030.jpg
Good Luck, just adding my .02
HBjet

Steamin' Rice
09-03-2005, 11:33 AM
So how are you guy's doin? Are you taking the boat out this weekend? I tried to bum a ride with Barry last week for the scope deal but it did'nt work out.
I don't think we're going to take the boat out this weekend. We have a b-day party in the valley tomorrow and we're going to hit the horse track in Del Mar on Sun.. That leaves Mon for us if we go.. We'll have to get you guys out for a boat ride one of these days.