PDA

View Full Version : Any of you peep's go in as a partnership on your boats??

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 06:04 PM
My bestfriend since 5th grade and I have been talking...about going in as a partnership. On something big ;) It will save on cost...and His garage is more than enough to hold what were lookin at. And he's one of the few I would trust on something like this. I have gone over all the pros and cons..and wanted to know how this has worked out for others... We plan to have it by next summer....let me know..thanks..

mike37
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
don't do it
not if you want to stay friends

Rexone
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Partnerships are great till you have a conflict. Then they suck.
a couple common problems.
One of you breaks the boat. ok who pays to fix. now you have to assess blame and responsibility depending on situation. Can get dicey. Especially after the same partner breaks it for about the 4th time and you're sharing the cost to fix.
Conflicting use dates. You want to go x, bud wants to go y, same weekend. Someone don't go to x or y.
One partner ends up taking care of the boat more than other, someone gets pissed. Different people have different ideas of proper maintenence and care sometimes.
Just a few.
Oh and the all time favorite. Dude... it was full of gas when it left, wtf? (to the tune of $3 a gal.).

ECeptor
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
The only person on the planet I'd consider as a boat partner is my brother. But I'd only do that if we moved closer than our current 200mi distance apart AND we planned on boating together nearly every weekend.
I like our current "partnership" - I bring my boat to see him and he pays for all the gas to get there plus what we burn on the water. Seems fair to me!

havasujoe93
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
I own a boat with my brother; two different views on how to own a boat. I am a neat freak he isn't. I would say, if you want to keep your friend a friend; then don't do it. Just my 2 cents.

Mrs.Racer277
08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
I think X-Rated was co owned before Jordy bought it
Oh and there are the 2 guys that are FF on the inside line. I would ask there.

Jordy
08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
One of you breaks the boat. ok who pays to fix. now you have to assess blame and responsibility depending on situation. Can get dicey. Especially after the same partner breaks it for about the 4th time and you're sharing the cost to fix.
Conflicting use dates. You want to go x, bud wants to go y, same weekend. Someone don't go to x or y.
One partner ends up taking care of the boat more than other, someone gets pissed. Different people have different ideas of proper maintenence and care sometimes.
Just a few.
Oh and the all time favorite. Dude... it was full of gas when it left, wtf? (to the tune of $3 a gal.).
Hit it right on the head Mikey. I've had friends that did it and they're not friends anymore. Inevitably, one parter uses it more than the other, one takes better care of it, one cleans it better, and then feelings start to get hurt because one person thinks he's doing all the work, boats break, and it all goes South because typically if you had the bank to buy the other one out or vice versa, you wouldn't have gone in partners to begin with. ;)
Then again, when have you ever listened to anyone around here NT. Pop the collar and go for it. :D

uvindex
08-31-2005, 06:34 PM
My bestfriend since 5th grade and I have been talking...about going in as a partnership. On something big ;) It will save on cost...and His garage is more than enough to hold what were lookin at. And he's one of the few I would trust on something like this. I have gone over all the pros and cons..and wanted to know how this has worked out for others... We plan to have it by next summer....let me know..thanks..Never done it. Make sure you consider the insurance and liability issues. If your name is on the boat's registration, you can be sued if your boat is involved in an accident, even if you were home watching TV at the time. Make sure the insurance is structured such that you're protected. Good luck. :)

mbrown2
08-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I have owned two boats with partners.....the Malibu we own with my best friend....I also use it 8 out 10 times more then he does and he has more time off. Yes, I do have to care for it more so then he, and feel like I spend more of my time worrying about...., BUT I KNEW THAT going in. He gets to pay half of everything except stupid stuff like Stereo Upgrades that are not necessary but I want them...
You should know your partner before being there partner...I knew mine, and so I am not suprised...the relationship on both boats has worked great for us....now the DCB on the other hand is just for the wife and I.....I would really second guess doing a hi-po boat with a partner....a wakeboard boat where it is plug/play has not been a big deal.

Supultlbich
08-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Thats walking a very fine line. Are you wanting a partner so you can afford a more expensive boat?? Or just for cost sharing?? Think long and hard. Good luck.

Cole1313
08-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Just a few.
I think this pretty much sums it up.

Lightning
08-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Besides the other reasons listed you should also consider what will happen if someone wants out and the other one doesn't.
Only do it with someone who can afford to buy you out and someone who you can afford to buyout you as well.

HighRoller
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a good question as well. What happens if partner #1 suddenly wants out of the deal but partner #2 doesn't have the money to buy #1 out. The boat will have to be sold, probably against #2's will. How friendly will things be then? Remember...business is business and friendship is friendship. If you want to do it, draw up a contract that makes it very specific what happens in every situation.

98 Vector 21
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Could end the partnership....

JetBoatRich
08-31-2005, 07:06 PM
We have a partnership at home :D I pay for everything and they get to join me on the boat rides :D
I have a friend who bought a boat with two other ex-friends :supp:

Jordy
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
What happens if one of you suddenly become unemployed and the other cant take the full burden of the payment and insurance? Then the boat gets repo'ed if you can't sell it in time and you both get big credit dings. :hammerhea

a catered life
08-31-2005, 07:12 PM
We have a partnership at home :D I pay for everything and they get to join me on the boat rides :D :supp:
dam i got that same dam deal here too :p

*BN*
08-31-2005, 07:15 PM
THE CARDINAL RULE IN ALL PARTNERSHIPS:
Don't do it unless you have the bank to buy out one or the other or can afford to take the hit on selling it to get out from under it.
You must be able to do the above for a million reasons that I can think of.

MagicMtnDan
08-31-2005, 07:18 PM
It won't work.
You may have shared a chick with your buddy. But did you ever share the woman you love with a buddy? That dog don't hunt and many guys love their boats more than their women :D

bchbum
08-31-2005, 07:21 PM
I had a great partnership with my boat , The wife paid the payment & I got to sleep with her .
My first house was a partnership, 2 friends I'd knowned since we were 6 years old , didn't work they thought they each owned it & the others were renters . No one would do anything to upgrade the house . We are still great friends .
Don't share a boat , buy a lower priced one ( used )

Riverkid
08-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Been there, done that (twice in fact). Won't ever do it again, for reasons stated above. Be patient and wait to get what you can pull on your own. Friendships hang in the balance...

Kilrtoy
08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Hell why your at it ask your girlfriend if you can bang her best friend
oh and to answer your question
HELL NO

Mrs. 4-B
08-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Don't do it...you'll kill yourself......

a catered life
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Hell why your at it ask your girlfriend if you can bang her best friend
oh and to answer your question
HELL NO
lol so well put :frown:

Parker Dreamin
08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
I think X-Rated was co owned before Jordy bought it
Oh and there are the 2 guys that are FF on the inside line. I would ask there.
Tequila John and I are partners on the boat and we have not had any issues. If you have a strong family relationship then you should have nothing to worry about. It is also nice because both of our families and kids get together and all hang.
That is just us.

wantacat
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Dont do it! Like others have said there will be lots of problems in the long run.

CornWater
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
With family yes, if you're close.. We have a Tritoon that the family owns, and it works out great. I hardly ever use it cause the other half always wants to be on the Daytona, but it is nice at times.
With friends, HELL NO, almost did this a few years ago with someone I thought would be a best friend forever, and we no longer talk. Glad I waited to do it on my own. Wait til you can afford it, you will always want bigger, even if you go in with a partner, plus you will enjoy it more if you had to work hard for it. :wink:

INSman
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I did it with a buddy on a houseboat deal, and the big expense was split 50/50 going in.
Since then, we have taken (2) trips for 10 days each of the last (2) years and everything pretty much works out. We split all the additional expenses of food, gas, maintenance, launch & retrieve and such equally.
A high performance boat, not quite sure :notam:

Throttle
08-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Add this to NO!
Your partner breaks something or it was going to break anyway, it just happened on his weekend. You have the toy for the next weekend but your service guys can't get it done in time, now you and your fam just got hosed!
I did put gas in it! Really! :idea:

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Sorry..I just got back from my softball game..thanks for all the words...to answer some of the questions...
He is closer than me then my brother never really got in any fights or arguments...We will always go together on the trips...always have and always will for at least the next 5 or 10 years. His parents are basically mine...and they are even going to let him and I take over the house eventually...(one sick pad) I know that I can afford my end and he can his.. (he inherited alot of money).
as for taking care of the boat..we have talked about that...if one does damage to the boat, or breaks something other than the normal wear and tear..then the one whos breaks, pays. He takes Really good care of his things since his pops owns some really nice classics and hounded him like a dog when he was a kid.. and I have grown up with the same perspective on that issue. The only major issue I see us having is that he currently lives in the house in havasu where it will be stored, so he will probably take it out more...but on the otherside he will be moving back here to the LBC shortly hopefully by next year and I am there almost everyweekend anyways. but with gas on the rise...hehe..who knows..
As for the insurance liability, thats one thing I didnt look at and would have to definatley make sure its taken care of...Im not losing what I have built up for anything! And we would definatley have to talk about the buying out issue.

Jordy
08-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow, it sounds like your mind is already made up (as I pointed out in my original post), so why even ask??? :confused:

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Wow, it sounds like your mind is already made up (as I pointed out in my original post), so why even ask??? :confused:
no, its not made up...like I said there are other things I have to discuss...It just sounds like that I guess because...I got exited about getting my dream boat for a bit...then reality sinks in...and I really have to debate on issues..I dont plan on doing it until a few monts before next summer...so lots of time to weigh the issues...

MAINEVENT
08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
I went in on a rice rocket project with my best friend (back then) we knew eachother for years we grew up as nieghbors and then best friends In HS we decided to put our funds in on a project we wanted when all said and done we each had around 10K in it and had decided that we would no longer drive on the street and just track race it Long story short He took it out and wrecked it :eat: and scrapped it for parts and he made his 10K back and refused to half that money even though i had put in just as much as he did NEEDLESS TO SAY DONT DO IT its sounds like a good idea but some people take care of their shit more than others
Just My.02

coolchange
08-31-2005, 09:01 PM
definition of Partner; Someone that used to be your friend.
I love them though, good way to pick up boats cheap when it disolves.

mbrown2
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
NoTalent...as long as you work out all the particulars going in....it should not be a problem. Also, you should both be a position to buy each other out if need be, or to help each other in need, if need be. Also, on the point if you break it you buy it.....we just split it 50/50 whoever breaks it....that way there is never a question, and I don't want him to pay for something I do, and vice versa, so those things dont' happen often..
Plus, when you don't use it that much and it gets use, splitting the cost really helps and it really is much cheaper.....maybe you won't find yourself dumping it when your financial position changes as so many others have to only after a 1 or 2 after getting themselves in over their heads in Payment, Insurance and Maintenance.
One thing that helps our deal is we also own a Riverhouse together, so it is like the house boat...

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 09:13 PM
NoTalent...as long as you work out all the particulars going in....it should not be a problem. Also, you should both be a position to buy each other out if need be, or to help each other in need, if need be. Also, on the point if you break it you buy it.....we just split it 50/50 whoever breaks it....that way there is never a question, and I don't want him to pay for something I do, and vice versa, so those things dont' happen often..
Plus, when you don't use it that much and it gets use, splitting the cost really helps and it really is much cheaper.....maybe you won't find yourself dumping it when your financial position changes as so many others have to only after a 1 or 2 after getting themselves in over their heads in Payment, Insurance and Maintenance.
One thing that helps our deal is we also own a Riverhouse together, so it is like the house boat...
thats exactly how I see it. the 50/50 idea is really good...the only thing im double thinking now is the expensive engine...we both have raced cars and mini dragsters since we could drive so were heavy footed. Were lookin at the DCB Mach26 I/o... pretty much something along the lines of this...
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/5/80198865.htm
but now im thinking of buying a stock one 496ho..and throwing on the whipple kit..ecu etc..

Parker Dreamin
08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
thats exactly how I see it. the 50/50 idea is really good...the only thing im double thinking now is the expensive engine...we both have raced cars and mini dragsters since we could drive so were heavy footed. Were lookin at the DCB Mach26 I/o... pretty much something along the lines of this...
but now im thinking of buying a stock one 496ho..and throwing on the whipple kit..ecu etc..
So much for catching up on your bills........haahahah.

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
So much for catching up on your bills........haahahah.
What are you talking about...this time next year...your going to be makin me some funds!!! :D and by that time...I have some plans I got to put into effect..plus it will only be another 150 a month then the amount Im paying for a boat that just sits there... :D
oh...and maybe then..I wont need a partner... :jawdrop:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Quickest way to loose a friend !!!!!
:frown:

BADASS38CHEVY
08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
My bestfriend since 5th grade and I have been talking...about going in as a partnership. On something big ;) It will save on cost...and His garage is more than enough to hold what were lookin at. And he's one of the few I would trust on something like this. I have gone over all the pros and cons..and wanted to know how this has worked out for others... We plan to have it by next summer....let me know..thanks..
If your friend is your wife Then do it!!!

NOTALENT
08-31-2005, 09:32 PM
If your friend is your wife Then do it!!!
shit...u think I would trust my wife with that shit.... :jawdrop: :hammerhea

RJ Nordic
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
That's how I got my boat. :cool: Two friends bought it brand new and "shared the cost, upkeep, gas, everything." For 2 months! Then the shit hit the fan, :devil: and I wound up the fortunate owner of a 2 month old Nordic 28 open bow with a $30,000 discount.
You can really make someone else happy.
Partnerships on auto, boats, mortorcycles houses seldom work. How to ruin a good friendship. :lightsabe

BADASS38CHEVY
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
shit...u think I would trust my wife with that shit.... :jawdrop: :hammerhea
Dude my wife bought me the F**KEN BEST BOAT for our 10th anniversary and i will be taken possession tomarrow spelling not that good but WHAT THE F*** GOOD LUCK

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Dude my wife bought me the F**KEN BEST BOAT for our 10th anniversary and i will be taken possession tomarrow spelling not that good but WHAT THE F*** GOOD LUCK
haha...good shit...maybe I should get me one of those... :rollside:

Sandbar Mike
09-01-2005, 05:19 AM
What if one of you gets married, then your both fu&ked! Wierd shit happens in partnerships, especially to best buds. Get your own big ride, let him pay for the fuel & insurance and he can drive it sometimes :D

dicudmore
09-01-2005, 06:23 AM
This is a great way to have a broken boat and a summer in the shop...
DON'T DO IT.
The HO is NOT enough motor for a Mach-26 (ask Sandbar Junkie) and their reliability record supercharged is junk...

Mardonzi
09-01-2005, 06:27 AM
We're in partnership on a cruiser with another guy. The deal with this one has its moments, but for the most part goes pretty smooth.
If you are going to do it, the best thing you can do is to make sure any issues or possible conflicts are brought out into the open right off the bat. Set up a maintainence plan and figure out if it's going to be usage based or if it will be a straight split. We base our percentage of maintainence responsibility on the hour meter.
As far as getting in or out,, our deal is that if you walk before the boat is paid for, then you walk with nothing. If you want to find a replacement in the partnership, that's fine, as long as the other partner signs off on the new guy.

riverbound
09-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I would definitely say NO.... I will tell you stories at Taco night. And all of our prtnerships were with family :frown:
Like was said earlier....quickest way to lose a friend. Upside when things hit the fan....you got my number, I will buy it cheap :rollside:

rrrr
09-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Then again, when have you ever listened to anyone around here NT. Pop the collar and go for it. :D
Jordy hits it again..... :D :D

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 06:49 AM
This is a great way to have a broken boat and a summer in the shop...
DON'T DO IT.
The HO is NOT enough motor for a Mach-26 (ask Sandbar Junkie) and their reliability record supercharged is junk...
I take it buy that pro marine...it is a beck racing engine. Sandbar junkie has had problems with a whippled 496???

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I would definitely say NO.... I will tell you stories at Taco night. And all of our prtnerships were with family :frown:
Like was said earlier....quickest way to lose a friend. Upside when things hit the fan....you got my number, I will buy it cheap :rollside:
hmm...how about I take the whacker off ur hands.... :idea: :D and intrested to here the stories...we may not have it though...depending on if were working on my bitch...

dicudmore
09-01-2005, 06:55 AM
I take it buy that pro marine...it is a beck racing engine. Sandbar junkie has had problems with a whippled 496???
all I know is don't modify a 496 if you want reliability...
I've heard (not from sandbar) that the HO will only push the mach low 60's, which is not fast enough to air it out and get a decent ride

riverbound
09-01-2005, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=NOTALENT]hmm...how about I take the whacker off ur hands.... :idea: :D QUOTE]
Ummmm...thats not gonna happen.

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 07:03 AM
all I know is don't modify a 496 if you want reliability...
I've heard (not from sandbar) that the HO will only push the mach low 60's, which is not fast enough to air it out and get a decent ride
I will have to check into that...All I want is something reliable..Naturally aspirated or not..

Speedin' Ian
09-01-2005, 07:05 AM
In the past my dad and I have partnered on all of our boats (currently we co-own a drag boat and 25' Commander) and it has worked out great, we both take care of it and we split all the cost right down the middle. I would say the only problem we have encountered is that in the past I used to go on trips with all my buddies (they don't own a boat) and without fail something would break, which sucked for my dad because his boat was getting damaged because of my friends.
To solve that problem I don't take a lot of my friends out anymore, with the exception of one or two big trips every year when we rent a pontoon boat at Havasu. If they want to go on more trips throughout the year they can buy a boat, plus I typically have more fun with my friends I've met at the lakes.
The only other problem would be if I wanted to go to another lake like Shasta and my dad was heading to Needles, so far that hasn't happened, but if it does my dad still owns a Mastercraft so we can figure who gets the Commander and who takes the Mastercraft.
This deal has worked out so well for us that we are now taking my brother in as an owner, now we have three incomes supporting this habbit.

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=NOTALENT]hmm...how about I take the whacker off ur hands.... :idea: :D QUOTE]
Ummmm...thats not gonna happen.
so..I got to bribe jason and linda huh.... :idea: maybe I can push them into that ultra deckboat... :D

Jordy
09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Beck Racing Engine??? As in BRE out of Phoenix??? As is Frank Beck??? Yeah, we have a nickname for BRE around here: Broken Racing Engines. Go check out the website. From what I've heard from several very reliable sources all of Frank Beck's HP numbers on the website come from Desktop Dyno. He has all kinds of judgments against him for ripping people off and building junk. Not a very well respected name in the Phoenix area. Last I heard he was building engines out of his backyard garage. Good luck with all that. ;)
Speaking of good luck, call around for insurance on that Mach26 before you pull the trigger on something like that. I was looking at 25' Daytona's and Mach26's with HP500 power and couldn't find anyone who would touch them. Wait, there was one, but the insurance was almost what my house payment is, and I'm not 21 with a big scrapbook full of tickets. Good luck. :rollside:

riverbound
09-01-2005, 07:08 AM
so..I got to bribe jason and linda huh.... :idea: maybe I can push them into that ultra deckboat... :D
Hah good luck, I think at this point you would have to pry that boat from Jasons dead hands :D
Go talk to AL he will find you one. Just be ready when he does, they dont last long.

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 07:08 AM
In the past my dad and I have partnered on all of our boats (currently we co-own a drag boat and 25' Commander) and it has worked out great, we both take care of it and we split all the cost right down the middle. I would say the only problem we have encountered is that in the past I used to go on trips with all my buddies (they don't own a boat) and without fail something would break, which sucked for my dad because his boat was getting damaged because of my friends.
To solve that problem I don't take a lot of my friends out anymore, with the exception of one or two big trips every year when we rent a pontoon boat at Havasu. If they want to go on more trips throughout the year they can buy a boat, plus I typically have more fun with my friends I've met at the lakes.
The only other problem would be if I wanted to go to another lake like Shasta and my dad was heading to Needles, so far that hasn't happened, but if it does my dad still owns a Mastercraft so we can figure who gets the Commander and who takes the Mastercraft.
This deal has worked out so well for us that we are now taking my brother in as an owner, now we have three incomes supporting this habbit.
Oh yeah..I hear that...thats why we want something that seats 5-6 max...on my boat I can hold about 10..and made the mistake of bringing out some boater rookies...and they trashed my boat..sandals on seats..spilling, broke a wind screen..bimini cover...etc..no more rookies on my boat now..and if they are, its just girls...and I lay down the law....

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Beck Racing Engine??? As in BRE out of Phoenix??? As is Frank Beck??? Yeah, we have a nickname for BRE around here: Broken Racing Engines. Go check out the website. From what I've heard from several very reliable sources all of Frank Beck's HP numbers on the website come from Desktop Dyno. He has all kinds of judgments against him for ripping people off and building junk. Not a very well respected name in the Phoenix area. Last I heard he was building engines out of his backyard garage. Good luck with all that. ;)
Speaking of good luck, call around for insurance on that Mach26 before you pull the trigger on something like that. I was looking at 25' Daytona's and Mach26's with HP500 power and couldn't find anyone who would touch them. Wait, there was one, but the insurance was almost what my house payment is, and I'm not 21 with a big scrapbook full of tickets. Good luck. :rollside:
Yeah..BRE...and those are the same thoughts I have on them...We tried on of there 383 strokers for my buddies old nova...and nothing but problems...they kept insisting we installed it wrong..or didnt prime it...just like speedomotive.... as for the insurance...I know it will be expensive..and my track record...what makes you think I have anything on it??? I have 2 one which im taking online traffic school next week, and the other clears in october...my track record is from my old chevelle..in high school..mainly at the street races..but have been cleared.

Jordy
09-01-2005, 07:15 AM
as for the insurance...I know it will be expensive..and my track record...what makes you think I have anything on it???
You sure like to talk about all the tickets and your scrapbook full as you've mentioned it more than a few times. I don't care one way or another. I'm trying to help you, for some reason (although I should know better), and offering up suggestions and experiences that I had looking at the same boats that you seem to be looking at. Nevermind. I'm done with it now. ;)
Have a great partnership. Hope it works out for you. :rolleyes: :D
Now it's back to ignore for you junior. ;)

hyevon
09-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Like my uncle told me. If partnership is so good than god would have a partner, untill than stay away.

NOTALENT
09-01-2005, 07:18 AM
You sure like to talk about all the tickets and your scrapbook full as you've mentioned it more than a few times. I'm trying to help you, for some reason, and offering up suggestions and experiences that I had looking at the same boats that you seem to be looking at. Nevermind. I'm done with it now. ;)
Have a great partnership. Hope it works out for you. :rolleyes: :D
Sorry if it came out wrong...although you do keep insinuating...I am greatfull and appreciate your's and everyone's comments and suggestion's because that's what I really want to know.
Thank's again.

Steamin' Rice
09-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I would not want to go in with a partner on a performance boat for the reasons that have already been listed. Good luck

Beer-30
09-01-2005, 08:04 AM
I had talked it over with the wife and another couple that we boat with all the time. They talked about selling their Malibu tourny boat and go in with us on something like a Conquest. We still roll that around from time to time. Since we all needed something to handle nasty water, I started looking at what I could get on my own, with average income. Was really tossing around a new 23' Dana or a new 23' Eliminator.
Now is when I step up on my USED soapbox. I ended up with something bigger than I ever expected to have in the next 20 years. Now, it did come at some sacrifice. I usually get a new Dually every 5 years or so. Mine had so low miles, I didn't see a need to / in liu of the new (to me) boat. So, instead of a new truck payment, I have the boat. 2 to 3 years from now, I will have the boat paid down enough to comfortably handle a new truck, and I'm all set!
Point is, if you look hard and constant, you can find something big for the price of something small. You could probably handle it on your own and not need the other party. It worked for me.

andy01
09-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I didn't read this whole thread. My dad and I were partners on my first boat. The only problem we had was when it was time to sell it. He didn't want to and I did. He didn't want to buy me out but he didn't want to sell it. It didn't cost him anything, I paid for the boat and didn't have to pay rent when I lived at home. He never used it but when it came time to sell it, it caused a bit of a problem. The other thing on repairs. Some partners on planes will put a $100 bucks in the kiddy for every hour put on the plane. You could do the same on a boat, you drive five hours you put 500 in your partner drives 10 hours he puts in a 1000, probably wouldn't need to put that much in on a boat but you get the idea. Take the money out when shit breaks no questions asked. Keep two seprate sheets of how much you each put in. When you sell the boat split the money on a perctage based on how much you each put in.
Andy

BADBLOWN572
09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I would ask yourself, what is worth more to you, having a friend or having a kick ass boat. I know a bunch of people who have done it and unless you have a unique relationship (MBrown) it would end in problems. I don't make a habit of owning anything with partners, much less anything high performance. There are a few exceptions, but as a general rule I think it is a bad idea. If you do, you better trust that person implicitly because you are putting your friendship on the line.
My other opinion on that is never to own anything, with a partner, that you could not financially afford to walk away from and not look back if an issue arrises. I would rather walk away loosing some $ than to either really hurt a friend or be hurt by that friend.

Cole Trickle
09-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I wen't in on the new boat with my dad and so far so good.
I think it works for us because we boat together 75% of the time and then we both go out on our own for those occasional weekend getaways.
It works great because when we go together we have two people in charge of the boat and if one of us want's to drink the other one will drive. (30' boat is too much for one guy and one girl to handle)
We both have our own tow vehicles so we don't have to worry about how to get the boat to the lake/river.
We also take very good care of our things.He has been unlucky and hit a couple props and has payed to have them fixed and replaced.I have been lucky so far and the boat has not cost me any money in repair bills.
I have had more than one friend have nothing but problems when they went in together on the boat.(Damage,gas being used,etc...)

dmontzsta
09-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I have seen friends who were closer than brothers, it is the worst. When it does hit the fan you lose that close friend you invested all the time in to. I had the opportunity to witness two of my friends who were closer than brothers, when they had a falling out the one friend actually stabbed the other 6x in the stomach, they arent so close anymore.
Plus do you say "thats my boat"? or "thats me and my friends boat"? :confused:
Me and my dad were partners on the old boat we had. I couldnt wait to get full posession or my own, he wants to do something one way I wanted it the other.
I am sure if you have your mind set you are going to move forward with it. Which is OK, everyone has to learn ways of life one wya. :jawdrop:

jackpunx
09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I have had two friends that I have had partnerships with.. One was with karts and the same friend and I did it with a Harley.. I built the race cars and the Harley.. I used them less and less.. so I let him partner with me..
They were paid for so I took his payments.. He used them more than me.. so I sold them outright to him.. We are great buddies.. I would do it again with him.. we have never had an issue and we have been doing this for the last 6 years..
I have another buddy..We share a rhino.. we do most of our boating and hang out a lot.. But we don’t always go on the same trips.. We discuss it and it always works out..
We have lots of respect for each other and wouldn’t ruin a friendship over a toy..
I feel that way about almost all my tight friends.. I’m pretty lucky in that department..
Our fights are over.. "let me pay the check.. No.. let me.."
Now.. with a boat. Unless you have the same driving, cleaning and maintenance habbits, do most of all your boating together.. and dont ever worry about sharing the driving.. I wouldn’t do it..
I’m a bad passenger.. There are very few people I trust driving me fast.. and I love to drive..
but.. with a tight friend.. I wouldn’t mind sharing
its tricky.. Good luck

Beer-30
09-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Is this around the "big" arena for you? This is alot of boat with plenty of motor, and it is priced about right. Doubt you would need a partner. Or, were you thinking of bigger?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2939Picture_022_Medium_3_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2939Picture_016_Large_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2939Picture_017_Large_.jpg

dimarcobros
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM
My brother and I share both our boats and have never had a problem. We split the insurance, storage and our service jobs. Our rule is if someting happens while you are using it, you pay for it. For instance, when I was using it and our boat was hit while parked on our beach in the middle of the night I paid the $500 for the gel repair. When he was launching at Windsor and the trailer fell off the end of the ramp and bent the fender, he paid the $350 to fix it. We are pretty good about splittling engine repairs, then again nothing major has happened yet. (knock on wood) Boats are going to break, it is just a matter of time. You can't get mad, just get it fixed and get back on the water.
We have never run into a problem with weekends and who gets it because we always go together. If we have more people than one boat can fix then we take out both boats and switch driving boats mid day. That has only happened once with my friends and his, it was no big deal though. We are selliing our 21 DiMarco now so it might be a problem next year.
There are bigger things to worry about then boating stuff. As long as you are at the river who really cares. I like driving but he likes it more so we rotate days. Which is good cause one can drink while the other drives, then the next day it's your turn. I usually let him drive more cause I would rather drink and relax.
If you really want the boat and trust your friend I would say to do it. When you both agree to do it put a disclaimer on it, saying that if your frinedship starts to tank cause of the boat then you both will sell the boat or one can buy the other one out. A boat is not worth a good friendship. Just my .02.
DMB

dimarcobros
09-01-2005, 11:38 AM
I have had two friends that I have had partnerships with.. One was with karts and the same friend and I did it with a Harley.. I built the race cars and the Harley.. I used them less and less.. so I let him partner with me..
They were paid for so I took his payments.. He used them more than me.. so I sold them outright to him.. We are great buddies.. I would do it again with him.. we have never had an issue and we have been doing this for the last 6 years..
I have another buddy..We share a rhino.. we do most of our boating and hang out a lot.. But we don’t always go on the same trips.. We discuss it and it always works out..
We have lots of respect for each other and wouldn’t ruin a friendship over a toy..
I feel that way about almost all my tight friends.. I’m pretty lucky in that department..
Our fights are over.. "let me pay the check.. No.. let me.."
Now.. with a boat. Unless you have the same driving, cleaning and maintenance habbits, do most of all your boating together.. and dont ever worry about sharing the driving.. I wouldn’t do it..
I’m a bad passenger.. There are very few people I trust driving me fast.. and I love to drive..
but.. with a tight friend.. I wouldn’t mind sharing
its tricky.. Good luck
Couldn't agree more. I am the same way with my friends and my brother.
DMB

rrrr
09-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Seems most of the peeps that say it works are partners with family members. That's a lot different IMO.
Of course, I wouldn't even partner with my brother on an anvil. He's so hard on shit he would bring it back broken. :rolleyes:

Jordy
09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Of course, I wouldn't even partner with my brother on an anvil. He's so hard on shit he would bring it back broken. :rolleyes:
I was thinking the same thing. My brother isn't even allowed on my boat, much less to be partners and take it unsupervised. Hell, I won't let him borrow my truck because I've seen how he takes care of his stuff. About every 3 years or so I try an experimental trip to the lake. Keep getting the same results. He's still banned. ;)

Goodtime$
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Sell everything you own, buy a decent boat that you like...dont have to go with a DCB, daytonas are sitting in the boat trader, AOs, Magics etc. Wait till winter and if gas prices are still way high, than boom make your move.
Your buddy sounds cool, have him pinch in for gas money for the weekends, you drive the boat around in the day, than later in the afternoon when you get buzzon, throw him the keys and say Goodtimes.....thats my 2cents
my buddies, ever great friends are not worthy of sharing toys with. Test the water with a dirtbike, prerunner or harley..than you will see....best of luck

dimarcobros
09-01-2005, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=rrrr]Seems most of the peeps that say it works are partners with family members. That's a lot different IMO.
QUOTE]
Valid point.
DMB

andy01
09-01-2005, 01:47 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2939Picture_016_Large_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2939Picture_017_Large_.jpg
Is that your viper in the back ground?

Beer-30
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Is that your viper in the back ground?
Nope. Those are Baller's pics, he is trying to sell the boat. I was just pushing it for him.