PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Trailer tires!!!

VegasHallett
09-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know where to get 6 Goodyear marathon 205/75/14 load range "C" trailer tires in So cal or Nevada. Everywhere I call the tires have to be ordered and are on back order?
Any tire better than the Marathons????

Beer-30
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
NO NO! Don't do the Marathons. You will not be near as happy with them as you would with Tow Masters. They are one of the original MFGs of trailer-only tires. GY has been stacking the Marathons too high in a stack and the bottom ones have been seperating tread/carcass. Besides, they are basically their "cheapest" car line with 2 xtra plies, not a trailer only tire through and through.
Find Tow Masters if you can.

Mrs.HLB1
09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Check into the Tow masters. We had the Marathons and had two blow outs a couple of weeks ago. They were only 2 years old. Let me know if you want to know where we got ours. In Corona, that may be too far for you.
Mrs.HLB

VegasHallett
09-01-2005, 08:20 PM
What's a good price for 205/75/14 towmasters? I'm leaving for So Cal this weekend and need 6.
Thanks

Beer-30
09-01-2005, 08:25 PM
What's a good price for 205/75/14 towmasters? I'm leaving for So Cal this weekend and need 6.
Thanks
Gonna guess $65-70 / ea. Mounted, new stems.

BarryMac
09-02-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks
Just had 4 Towmaster put on my trailer, they were $65 a piece plus install and road hazard, I think the total bill was just over $340.00. Call a Discount Tire store somewhere along your route, ask them to order 'em up and get them installed on your way down...

prosthogod
09-02-2005, 06:29 AM
I spent $1100.00 for 7 marathons from discount 8 months ago because the carlyles on the warrior were crap and now you tell me the marathons are too?

Beer-30
09-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I spent $1100.00 for 7 marathons from discount 8 months ago because the carlyles on the warrior were crap and now you tell me the marathons are too?
Should've checked with me first. LOL, J/K! How would you know to check with me first.
15 years in a family-owned tire shop gives me some insight on what works and what doesn't.
Hopefully you got some of the good Marathons. If'n they were near the top of the stack(s) you will be ok for 4-5 years. Wouldn't see them going much more than that.

scarabrick2
09-03-2005, 07:14 AM
top for my bro:)

THOR
09-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I just had a total de-tread on one of my Trail America tires on my Extreme. I replace them with Tow Masters with solid stems.

BOBALOO
09-03-2005, 08:14 AM
I vote for Tow Masters also, my trailer had some old ones on it and I ran them a couple trips before putting on the Denmans we used to use at work.
I got 4 trips out of the Denmans and suffered 2 separations and one had a chunk out of it before I switched back to the Tow Masters :mad: . I have had NO problems in a year and a half of towing 700 miles every couple weekends thru the summer.
Not to mention they are WAY cheaper and excellent quality. I have the Bias tires, not the Radial ones. My neighbor has the radial ones and he has had NO problems with them either.
Happy Hunting.

jbtrailerjim
09-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Tow Master is not the only good trailer trailer tire out there. Maxxis makes tires specifically made for trailers. They are a great tire and I highly recommend them.
Maxxis Trailer Tires (http://www.maxxis.com/products/trailer/overview.asp)

THOR
09-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Why not go bias ply? I have only had bias on my previous trailers with no problems at all. Radials seem to have many more problems.

Brewzed
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Tow Master is not the only good trailer trailer tire out there. Maxxis makes tires specifically made for trailers. They are a great tire and I highly recommend them.
Maxxis Trailer Tires (http://www.maxxis.com/products/trailer/overview.asp)
I used to have a set of Maxxis Trailer Radials on my old trailer. The trailer felt a whole lot better cruis'n down the freeway.

AirtimeLavey
03-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I like Maxxis, too. Turned onto them by a guy in Needles, who's seen all the setups.

marty722
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I just bought a boat and just checked the trailer tires. 5-2-02 is the date and there are Carlises ST 205 75R 14 DBKC tires. I read awhile back that these tires are bad. Now mind you these are from 2002. Is it time for new tires? Did they have a recall for these? Any info would be great. Thanks

Riomouse911
03-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Advice with any trailer; make sure you have a spare tire/rim and the lug wrench to fit it. Any tire will blow if someone drops a load binder or other debris on the highway and you can't avoid hitting it. I'd go look at the Maxxis or Tow Masters, they seem to last longest and have fewest problems. Marathons and Carlisles seem to come apart at the most crucial times, and that makes even the best weekend a drag.

submakr
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Go to America's Tire and take their advice on radial replacements. In over 20 years I have never been wronged by them and you can't beat their customer service. I replaced my bias ply's with radials on our Ultra and have never been happier. After 5 years they still look brand new!! Unfortunately the boat is not at my house so I can't give you specs.
We don't go anywhere esle except for America's Tire. And no, they did not pay me to say that!!! LOL

Phat Daddy
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I used to have a set of Maxxis Trailer Radials on my old trailer. The trailer felt a whole lot better cruis'n down the freeway.
That's what I use.

Phat Daddy
03-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Good enough for me
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Never Too Old
03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I just bought 7 Goodyear Marathons last week. Had to wait 2 days to get them.
I searched all of the trailer boat forums and travel trailer forums before I decided on the marathons. Most of the posts about the Goodyears were positive. Many warnings not to buy Carlisle.
Don't remember too many comments on Towmaster but West Marine sells them.
One of the reasons I went with GY was that I figured there would be a Goodyear dealer just about anywhere I went - if I needed a warranty replacement.
Radial tires run cooler than bias ply.

Second "PLACE"
03-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Advice with any trailer; make sure you have a spare tire/rim and the lug wrench to fit it. Any tire will blow if someone drops a load binder or other debris on the highway and you can't avoid hitting it. I'd go look at the Maxxis or Tow Masters, they seem to last longest and have fewest problems. Marathons and Carlisles seem to come apart at the most crucial times, and that makes even the best weekend a drag.
I must agree w/riomouse911. I have had the unfortunate luck of helping a buddy install a spare due to a blown Marathons on I-40 during the August heat. :cry: Not fun.
Now he has Carlisles under that Ski Sanger. :p
2nd Place

FreshTracks
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Another vote for Maxxis. Check Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel. Bought 4 last year, mounted and balanced for around $250 or so.

TT_trawler
03-21-2006, 03:35 AM
I have had Marathon's for three seasons, about 16 600 mile roundtrips from so cal to the river...no problems...must have been from the top of the stack.
Also from America's Tire...took one day to get them.
Good luck