PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Donate??

WetWillie
09-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Just watched a special on the disaster and want to donate. I feel sorry for these people. No one in the US should go without the basics.
I have read the scandles with the Redcross and Feed the Children. Who can I trust to make sure the money gets there?

HighRoller
09-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I would say find a charity in an area local to the affected areas. Send them materials, not money. Canned food, clothing, whatever. Or take the DCB down there and start rescuing people from their flooded houses. At 110mph, you could save the whole town in 14 minutes.

Mrs. casean
09-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Just watched a special on the disaster and want to donate. I feel sorry for these people. No one in the US should go without the basics.
I have read the scandles with the Redcross and Feed the Children. Who can I trust to make sure the money gets there?
I've been looking around online right now finding out the same thing. It is sooo horrible and no one should ever have to experience such a disaster. I was watching Dateline and I started to tear up watching them interview a family sleeping in their car w/ a flat tire, no food, no gas and no home to go to. I am feeling soooo selfish sitting in my house watching tv and eating a good meal. So I guess the only thing we can do to help them out is donate. I know they all need sanitary items, clothing, food, cleaning supplies, etc... and most websites just say to donate money so they can buy these items... but how do you trust them, besides the typical salvation army and red cross... I'm trying to see if there are any local places I could take it to... well if I find a trust worthy one, I'll post it just incase any of you would like to help out...

Mrs. casean
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I would say find a charity in an area local to the affected areas. Send them materials, not money. Canned food, clothing, whatever. Or take the DCB down there and start rescuing people from their flooded houses. At 110mph, you could save the whole town in 14 minutes.
I should have waited to post :) This is exactly what I wanted to do... clothes, food, clean water... it's just hard to fine a local place to donate items too, they all seem to want money :confused:

Cas
09-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Help for Katrina Survivors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEMA News: Cash Sought To Help Hurricane Victims, Volunteers Should Not Self-Dispatch
Release Date: August 29, 2005
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Voluntary organizations are seeking cash donations to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina in Gulf Coast states, according to Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response. But, volunteers should not report directly to the affected areas unless directed by a voluntary agency.
"Cash donations are especially helpful to victims," Brown said. "They allow volunteer agencies to issue cash vouchers to victims so they can meet their needs. Cash donations also allow agencies to avoid the labor-intensive need to store, sort, pack and distribute donated goods. Donated money prevents, too, the prohibitive cost of air or sea transportation that donated goods require."
Volunteer agencies provide a wide variety of services after disasters, such as clean up, childcare, housing repair, crisis counseling, sheltering and food.
"We're grateful for the outpouring of support already," Brown said. "But it's important that volunteer response is coordinated by the professionals who can direct volunteers with the appropriate skills to the hardest-hit areas where they are needed most. Self-dispatched volunteers and especially sightseers can put themselves and others in harm's way and hamper rescue efforts."
Donate:American Red Cross
800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English
800-257-7575 Spanish
America's Second Harvest
800-344-8070
Operation Blessing
800-436-6348
Donate and Volunteer:Adventist Community Services
800-381-7171
Catholic Charities, USA
703-549-1390
Christian Disaster Response
941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554
Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
800-848-5818
Church World Service
800-297-1516
Convoy of Hope
417-823-8998
Lutheran Disaster Response
800-638-3522
Mennonite Disaster Service
717-859-2210
Nazarene Disaster Response
888-256-5886
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
800-872-3283
Salvation Army
800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief
800-462-8657, ext. 6440
United Methodist Committee on Relief
800-554-8583

unleashed
09-01-2005, 08:50 PM
This may sound stupid but its just an ideal. Why dont we have someone on the boards whom may be near that area be the keepsake and we all send our donations to an account that can be used for the victims???? We send our deposits to this account and have the individual from the boards disperse it to a worthy charity in the area??? Not sure just throwing out an ideal??? This way we donate as a group and possibly feel a little safer about our goodwill?? Im good for a few hundred!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Mrs. casean
09-01-2005, 08:52 PM
This may sound stupid but its just an ideal. Why dont we have someone on the boards whom may be near that area be the keepsake and we all send our donations to an account that can be used for the victims???? We send our deposits to this account and have the individual from the boards disperse it to a worthy charity in the area??? Not sure just throwing out an ideal??? This way we donate as a group and possibly feel a little safer about our goodwill?? Im good for a few hundred!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
just need to find a trust worthy HB'r who would manage this and make sure it gets to the appropriate place... good idea!

HighRoller
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry to be cynical, but cash donations allow the charities to keep a percentage as well. Yeah, I'm sure the victims would like cash vouchers, but beggers cannot be choosers! Maybe the charities should ask for..oh I don't know...ANYTHING THESE PEOPLE NEED!!!!

Boatcop
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org)
You can donate directly to this effort on line. $5.00 minimum

lalhc
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm donating to Red Cross through my company because they'll match my donation 100%.

Mrs. casean
09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry to be cynical, but cash donations allow the charities to keep a percentage as well. Yeah, I'm sure the victims would like cash vouchers, but beggers cannot be choosers! Maybe the charities should ask for..oh I don't know...ANYTHING THESE PEOPLE NEED!!!!
Agreed! I feel that these people need more than just the money right now... they need clean clothes to put on, no food, flashlights, batteries, toiletries, toilet paper, sanitary products, blankets, baby food, diapers, the list can go on...

HighRoller
09-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Where's Hoss? Isn't he down there? Although, if we donate a thousand to him all the victims will end up with a case of whiskey :idea:

Cas
09-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Agreed! I feel that these people need more than just the money right now... they need clean clothes to put on, no food, flashlights, batteries, toiletries, toilet paper, sanitary products, blankets, baby food, diapers, the list can go on...
but they said numerous times they don't want all the things that they seem to need most. The cash thing bugs me also only because it just might not help the people that need it most right now.

Mrs. casean
09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm donating to Red Cross through my company because they'll match my donation 100%.
That's great! I'm going to talk to my work tomorrow and see if they can get together something, anything! We all have something we can give, even if it is just $5.00, batteries, clothes, dry foods... anything is great and they need it all.

HighRoller
09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
$5.00 minimum? Cash only? Nice. What a bunch of snobs. They aren't even asking for material goods because they make no money off of them. Kiss my ass Red Cross. I guess they're only interested in others "donating", while they skim off the top.

Midlife Advantage
09-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, the easiest route right now is the Red Cross. Yes they take a percentage, but thats what a non-profit organization does to keep it an organization. People work there, some volunteer, some salaried, but they work. The news is saying that they are the best route to the people that need it right now, and stupid me, I believe them.
So who knows where there is a Red Cross office or radio/TV crusade in Havasu tomorrow? I am good for a hundred, call that a pledge, not as good as Deano, but a pledge.

Magic34
09-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Where's Hoss? Isn't he down there? Although, if we donate a thousand to him all the victims will end up with a case of whiskey :idea:
Hoss actually stayed in New Orleans for the storm. I don't think anyone has heard from him since the storm. The was just a few blocks from Lake Ponchatrain. I got this info from inside line. He was posting up until his power went out, fairly dramatic to read. He was there with his father-in-law and the rest of his fam left town earlier. If they are safe, I wouldn't expect to hear anything for at least a few weeks. Everyhting that he ahd must be gone... home, life long possessions, business.
I have yet to hear from many distributors I have in that area. I had a good number of them in the Biloxi/Gulfport area, and that place was leveled. We also have a few in NO as well. I put out some messages on our company voice mail and have not heard back from any of them yet or others who were close from to them. I was hoping that I would hear something by Friday, if not I fear the news.
God bless those in the area.

Magic34
09-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Bump the donation question thread

460 jus getn it
09-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Hoss actually stayed in New Orleans for the storm. I don't think anyone has heard from him since the storm. The was just a few blocks from Lake Ponchatrain. I got this info from inside line. He was posting up until his power went out, fairly dramatic to read. He was there with his father-in-law and the rest of his fam left town earlier. If they are safe, I wouldn't expect to hear anything for at least a few weeks. Everyhting that he ahd must be gone... home, life long possessions, business.
I have yet to hear from many distributors I have in that area. I had a good number of them in the Biloxi/Gulfport area, and that place was leveled. We also have a few in NO as well. I put out some messages on our company voice mail and have not heard back from any of them yet or others who were close from to them. I was hoping that I would hear something by Friday, if not I fear the news.
God bless those in the area.
very good post. hoss is a friend of alot of people here and insideline.............anything that people can do to help not only him but everyone affected would be great...............

pjones
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
What kind of business is Hoss in by the way?

Mrs. casean
09-02-2005, 10:32 AM
This needs to get back to the front page...
ANYONE know where to donate goods in the I.E. area? I'm in Temecula and cant' find where... besides the typical places to give money.... I can do that online... but I would like to donate goods I have that can be used by those in need right now. Any help is great!

cdog
09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Here is a link thru the National Assoc. Of Realtors.
https://www.realtor.org/RelFundTrack.nsf/Contribution?OpenForm