PDA

View Full Version : ROZ - Stereo help?

Advantage
09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
We have an Advantage PartyCat and we're looking for some input on what to run. We want a turn key system that hits and nothing that shuts down due to voltage problems or heat. We heard you are the man - any recommendations?

LAFD
09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
roz is the man when it comes to sterios. hes the photoglou of sterios. so easy to work with and get your stuff in no time. you wont be let down..

riverbound
09-02-2005, 07:22 AM
I have heard Roz might know a thing or two about stereos :D I taught him everything he knows :D

ROZ
09-02-2005, 08:30 AM
I have heard Roz might know a thing or two about stereos :D I taught him everything he knows :D
Alwood, Kenpine, whatever :D

rivercrazy
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Ahhh. Now I get it! That's how Roz became so knowledgable on Rockford Fosgate! J/K LOL! :D

Scape Goat
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Roz what would it cost for you to install my alpine cva1004 in my navi.
Does the factory cd changer work with the cva1004.
I have an eq and an crossover with a couple amps.
And can you price the ai net for this unit will be needing it someday.
thanks

riverbound
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Roz what would it cost for you to install my alpine cva1004 in my navi.
Does the factory cd changer work with the cva1004.
I have an eq and an crossover with a couple amps.
And can you price the ai net for this unit will be needing it someday.
thanks
$49.99 :D

ADAM GARCIA
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
i taught everyone about boat audio,just kidding but i was the first to do major glass work and pods in a boat and push the envlope to the next level. not some ultra boat!!!!!!

riverbound
09-02-2005, 12:25 PM
i taught everyone about boat audio,just kidding but i was the first to do major glass work and pods in a boat and push the envlope to the next level. not some ultra boat!!!!!!
I would definitely say you were ONE OF the first :D
We just didnt have the abilities to paint at the time :frown: so our stuff was vinyl wrapped.

h2oski2fast
09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
He said he wants stuff turn key that wouldn't shut down. :D :D :D

ROZ
09-02-2005, 01:35 PM
:supp: :D

riverbound
09-02-2005, 01:36 PM
:boxingguy :boxingguy

ADAM GARCIA
09-02-2005, 03:42 PM
we love when your mad :mad: just kidding i will c everyone in parker later ;) ;)

Advantage
09-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Roz, you install or just sell the equipment? What is the best way to contact you regarding equip?

Havasu Hangin'
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Roz, you install or just sell the equipment? What is the best way to contact you regarding equip?
Roz sells and installs. The best way to get a hold of him is to just go over to his house and wait in the driveway.
However, he doesn't sell that Kicker crap, if that's what you're looking for.
:D

Tom Brown
09-02-2005, 06:19 PM
First one, eh: :idea:
I remember back in the early 1980s when I started working at a stereo shop. They brought in an 8" Cerwin Vega sub-woofer. Nobody really had any idea why it would be good on it's strange looking baffle plate.
The guy I worked with put it in our manager's car. It was mounted on the flat baffle board it came with and crossed over passively with a big black wooden box that held huge coils and capacitors. We all gave it a listen. It seemed to add a little thump, but not much. I was hooked.
I got one and started playing with it. I too mounted it in my car on the baffle board it shipped with. It didn't help my system out at all. In fact, I preferred the sound without it.
I was a first year engineering student and really interested in speaker design so I designed a couple of boxes for the little 8" sub and it helped a lot. The bass reflex box really lit that little sub up with my 40 watt Pioneer amp.
When I went to CES in Toronto in 83, I met the C-V guys and discovered they had done everything I had tried and more. I wasn't paving new ground at all.
It wasn't long after that the 10" came out. I first tried one of those and then two. It was clear I needed more power.
I designed my own active crossover using CMOS op-amps so I could run them off the car's electrical system with no voltage regulation of any kind. Hey... it was a first effort. The network itself was a straight forward butterworth 6dB/octive 4 step ladder. 24dB/octive seemed to be the sweet spot. Phase coherency? What's that?
... I figured that out later.
The output of that system with two 40 watt Pioneer amps driving the subs and one 20 watt amp driving the 6x9s really blew away everyone who heard it, including the Pioneer and C-V reps who came to the store (we were the biggest wholesaler in western Canada... hence the CES dealer passes, etc.)
If anyone remembers that old Pioneer stuff, they will remember that Pioneer didn't use RCA jacks back in those days. They had their own component plug. It was a pain in the ass to hack. Joy.
By 85, you could buy commercial automotive crossovers that didn't suck too bad. That took most of the tinkering out of it but I still tried tons of stuff, including some things that I haven't heard anyone else try since but I might pull out again one of these days.
I remember the talk around the store. They thought it was really cool but the general consensus was they'd never been able to sell more than one amp to anyone. Those were the days of external amplification being a big upgrade from deck power. ... except for Pioneer component stuff that was pre-out only.
Sub popularity grew and I put together a lot of display systems in the late 80s, including a boat for the store owner. It was a big, heavy, slow cruiser beast with an OMC I/O. No matter, it housed a 10" sub (custom box, of course), 6x9s, and two amplifiers. Holy cow! :D
Amplifiers got tons better in the late 80s too. I dumped Pioneer and started running other stuff. Carver and Harmon Kardon were my favorite, in that era.
If I could have made $1/hour doing that stuff, I'd still be doing it. I sunk all of my time and money into that shit. Employee discounts were sweet but eventually I realized there was no money in it and went back to university full time. It was a ton of fun at the time, though.
OK... who's next? :)

Essex29
09-02-2005, 07:03 PM
That statement is meaningless without pics :D

ROZ
09-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Amplifiers got tons better in the late 80s too. I dumped Pioneer and started running other stuff. Carver and Harmon Kardon were my favorite, in that era.
He said Carver and Harmon Kardon amps.... Was that hooked up to a Yahama, Concord, or Denon headunit?
:cool:

Tom Brown
09-02-2005, 09:57 PM
He said Carver and Harmon Kardon amps.... Was that hooked up to a Yahama, Concord, or Denon headunit?
Sony, actually. I had an XR-66 cassette deck and then went to that first generation DIN mount CD player that sounded unbelievably great and skipped like a mo-fo on the tiniest of bumps.
I'm waiting for someone to top me with a story on how they lithographed their own power ICs.
BTW ROZ, you should probably help this guy so this thread isn't a total waste. :D

1stepcloser
09-03-2005, 05:42 AM
First one, eh: :idea:
I remember back in the early 1980s when I started working at a stereo shop. . Blah blah blah blah...:)
Tom, this post has confirmed my suspicions....
You're a geek.

1stepcloser
09-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Heh heh, you said "concord"
Back around '85 or '86 I ran a Concord deck, it was the first I saw with line level pre-outs, to a ADS 100 watt 2 channel amp, mixed mono to a pair of Jensen 3 way 6X9's and a single ADS 8" subwoofer using nothing more than a coil to filter, in a crude sealed enclosure.
This was in a 68 Camaro, the 6X9's were on the rear shelf. In my feeble memory, that car really rocked!

Tom Brown
09-03-2005, 07:48 AM
I remember Concord. Wow. :D
I also remember putting a system together in the very late 70s using component drivers I bought from... [cough]... Radio Shack. :D
It sounded kinda good to my cheap assed high school ears. There were no car subs back then. Those drivers were meant for building home speakers. They survived OK in the car, though. I had a surround tear one winter but it didn't make any difference to the sound. :D

ROZ
09-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Sony, actually. I had an XR-66 cassette deck and then went to that first generation DIN mount CD player that sounded unbelievably great and skipped like a mo-fo on the tiniest of bumps.
I remember the first Sony... Cartridge indash cd... My buddy go one. I think there were only like 4 cd's even available at the time...lmoa....
I'm waiting for someone to top me with a story on how they lithographed their own power ICs.
Do you want to know which Lighograph technique I used? ;) :D
BTW ROZ, you should probably help this guy so this thread isn't a total waste. :D
He pm'd me and I replied back... As always, I'll try to do what I can :)
BTW... I went a round ot two with RadioShack speakers, caps, and coils :D
1Step is old... He had a Concord and Jensen 6x9's in an oldschool camero :D
Oh, did I mention that infinity 6x9's in the back of a 64.5 Mustang sounded pretty good :D

riverbound
09-03-2005, 09:28 AM
did I mention that infinity 6x9's in the back of a 64.5 Mustang sounded pretty good :D
I had 4 6x9's in the back deck of mine and a bass tube...sounded good at the time :frown:

77charger
09-03-2005, 05:04 PM
However, he doesn't sell that Kicker crap, if that's what you're looking for.
you,re just mad cause the squares just hit harder :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-03-2005, 06:10 PM
you,re just mad cause the squares just hit harder :D
A sledgehammer also hits harder...but it still sounds like crap.

ROZ
09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
A sledgehammer also hits harder...but it still sounds like crap. :D
DOH :D

Tom Brown
09-04-2005, 08:03 AM
I had 4 6x9's in the back deck of mine and a bass tube...sounded good at the time :frown:
Geezer. :p