PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust ? - Lift ?

jackaroos
09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I Need help! everybody I talk to has a different answer. What is the best exhaust system for 05' Duramax and is there any test done? Also dual or single? One more thing any ideas on lifts would be great. thanks in advance

greenkorn
09-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Take off the muffler and run a straight pipe, It only gets loud when you lay into the RPM's, but what the hell, you will be going fast anyways, you will not hear it, but people beside you will, but you'll be going fast enough not to catch their stink eye! Hope this helps. :D

sigepmock
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I just finished (well almost) my 05 Dmax 4x. I went Banks Monster exhaust($600) form the cat back and used a Predator($390) hand held programmer set on 65hp tune(150 ft/lbs) this is a conservative tune that still allows towing and it can be completely removed in 5 min for dealer visits. On the 05 Dmax (lly) you can't remove the cat. conv. with out throwing an engine code unless you use an item called a "Finger stick"( a small resistor wired in between the MAS and EGR, originally I didn't want to do that but after seeing the power gains and faster spool up times that come with removing the cat, I installed a MBRP cat delete pipe($140), the Finger stick($20-$25) and an EGR block plate($20). I am very happy with the results. The MBRP exhaust with the cat delete pipe is what I should have done from the start. Duals or single I don't think it really matters power wise more a preference thing. If you need help or have any questions about the above feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number so I can give you the long version.
As far as lift I went with the CST 6-8" lift on 35's, I added custom hoops and King shocks becuase I usually end up airborne at some point through out the year and I didn't want to break anything. RCD also makes a good lift for our trucks and it's a little less expensive. Jason at Rancho Motorsports hooked me up with almost all the exhaust and suspension parts. He's a ***boater and takes care of the peeps from here. (909) 390-9722.
There's a ton of info and opinions out there on what's best, I went with the consensus on most parts. Again feel free to PM me and I'll spill what I've learned so far.
Good Luck,
Chris Mock
Here's a few pics:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495100_0124-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495progress-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495rear_shocks-med.JPG

Cole Trickle
09-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I just finished (well almost) my 05 Dmax 4x. I went Banks Monster exhaust($600) form the cat back and used a Predator($390) hand held programmer set on 65hp tune(150 ft/lbs) this is a conservative tune that still allows towing and it can be completely removed in 5 min for dealer visits. On the 05 Dmax (lly) you can't remove the cat. conv. with out throwing an engine code unless you use an item called a "Finger stick"( a small resistor wired in between the MAS and EGR, originally I didn't want to do that but after seeing the power gains and faster spool up times that come with removing the cat, I installed a MBRP cat delete pipe($140), the Finger stick($20-$25) and an EGR block plate($20). I am very happy with the results. The MBRP exhaust with the cat delete pipe is what I should have done from the start. Duals or single I don't think it really matters power wise more a preference thing. If you need help or have any questions about the above feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number so I can give you the long version.
As far as lift I went with the CST 6-8" lift on 35's, I added custom hoops and King shocks becuase I usually end up airborne at some point through out the year and I didn't want to break anything. RCD also makes a good lift for our trucks and it's a little less expensive. Jason at Rancho Motorsports hooked me up with almost all the exhaust and suspension parts. He's a ***boater and takes care of the peeps from here. (909) 390-9722.
There's a ton of info and opinions out there on what's best, I went with the consensus on most parts. Again feel free to PM me and I'll spill what I've learned so far.
Good Luck,
Chris Mock
Here's a few pics:
Truck looks good Chris!!!
This is the first time I have been able to view it.(New job= new puter)
Brandin

sigepmock
09-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Truck looks good Chris!!!
This is the first time I have been able to view it.(New job= new puter)
Brandin
Thanks Brandin but .(New job= new puter) :confused: :jawdrop: What happened?
Chris

Eliminator 4 Life
09-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I personal like the MBRP kit and it was easy to install I like the fact it goes into duals if you need the hook up talk to dieseldog aka Clyde hes the man

Cole Trickle
09-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks Brandin but .(New job= new puter) :confused: :jawdrop: What happened?
Chris
Left on good terms...
I have been an Insurance Agent/Broker for 8+ years and decided to get back into the business full time.
Basicly I left because the money was laughable and it's hard to make Condo,Corvette and boat payments with what they were paying me.
New job will offer much more finnancially!!!
Hows the wife? She has got to be showing by now.....

Danhercules
09-15-2005, 08:40 AM
As said above. Contact Clyde at West Coast Diesel Perf. 951-674-5122
I am getting a Cat back system from him in a few months. His prices are GREAT!!
He use to be a GM diesel tech. A GOOD ONE.

andy01
09-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Good Luck,
Chris Mock
Here's a few pics:
Your truck looks great. I have the finger stick but never isntalled it. I never ordered the plate either. How hard was the stick and plate to do? Was it a pain, I was worried about cutting in to the factory wire harness. Oh who did you get your cat pipe from MBRP direct?

sigepmock
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Your truck looks great. I have the finger stick but never isntalled it. I never ordered the plate either. How hard was the stick and plate to do? Was it a pain, I was worried about cutting in to the factory wire harness. Oh who did you get your cat pipe from MBRP direct?
Thanks for the compliment....coming from a "Big Baller" like you that means alot :D j/k.
The finger stick was an easy install, took about 20 mins to install. I soldered it in and hid it in wire loom so it looks factory, can't even tell it is in there. Only have to cut one wire, the other three are just tapped in. The EGR block plate was a little tougher :mad: It's only two bolts to loosen but they are back against the firewall and must have been tightened by an overgrown gorilla. I about busted a gut getting them loose, after that it wasn't too bad, just spread the EGR infeed pipe from the EGR cooling pipe about an inch, slide the gasket over to the pressure side, coat the block plate in high temp exhaust gasket goo, drop it in, tighten it, let it dry and you're in business.
I got the cat delete pipe from Mark Craig at DPPI, DPPI (http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/)
$140 drop shipped to my house. 1/2 hour install. Best money I've spent on the truck yet. I'm sure CLyde at West Coast Diesel could get it too but this was the best price I found for the full stainless steel one.
Let me know if you want a hand with the install, with the wife about 7 1/2 months prego, I've got lots of time on my hands :D
Let me know,
Chris Mock

TrojanDan
09-17-2005, 02:25 PM
The finger stick was an easy install, took about 20 mins to install. I soldered it in and hid it in wire loom so it looks factory, can't even tell it is in there. Only have to cut one wire, the other three are just tapped in. The EGR block plate was a little tougher :mad: It's only two bolts to loosen but they are back against the firewall and must have been tightened by an overgrown gorilla. I about busted a gut getting them loose, after that it wasn't too bad, just spread the EGR infeed pipe from the EGR cooling pipe about an inch, slide the gasket over to the pressure side, coat the block plate in high temp exhaust gasket goo, drop it in, tighten it, let it dry and you're in business.
I got the cat delete pipe from Mark Craig at DPPI, DPPI (http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/)
$140 drop shipped to my house. 1/2 hour install. Best money I've spent on the truck yet. I'm sure CLyde at West Coast Diesel could get it too but this was the best price I found for the full stainless steel one.
Chris,
This sounds like something I might consider for my '05 Duramax. My question is, Will it pass smog check in two years when I have to get it done? Or do you have to re-install the caty. converter? :messedup:
Thanks,
Dan

H20 Toie
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Diesels dont have to go through smog check

sigepmock
09-17-2005, 04:20 PM
That is correct. No smog for the Diesels yet, but if they ever change the law I kept the cat. Also I have it in case I need to take it in to the stealer. Half hour project to add it back in.
Again best money I spent on the truck, getting rid of the Cat and adding the EGR block plate and Finger Stick.

mbrown2
09-17-2005, 06:19 PM
I personal like the MBRP kit and it was easy to install I like the fact it goes into duals if you need the hook up talk to dieseldog aka Clyde hes the man
This is the exhaust I was recommended by Sport Trucks By Dean...sounds sweet...like a quiet Jet at idle...

TrojanDan
09-20-2005, 10:41 AM
What a rookie I am :D . Considering I bought my truck in June and still have under 800 miles on it, maybe I should read the manual. :D
Thanks for the info.... :cool:

02HoWaRd26
09-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Ats ex. actually uses a 4.25" stainless pipe it sounds great and makes it runn way better i would post picks but still have no damned idea how to...