PDA

View Full Version : Fats Domino is still missing in New Orleans...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Katrina Benefits Should Acknowledge Local Legends
Before NBC, MTV or anyone else puts on a telethon to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, they might want to explore some ancillary issues. To wit: New Orleans is a city famous for its famous musicians, but many of them are missing. Missing with a capital M.
To begin with, one of the city’s most important legends, Antoine "Fats" Domino, has not been heard from since Monday afternoon. Domino’s rollicking boogie-woogie piano and deep soul voice are not only part of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame but responsible for dozens of hits like “Blue Monday,” “Ain’t That a Shame,” “Blueberry Hill” and “I’m Walking (Yes, Indeed, I’m Talking).”
Domino, 76, lives with his wife Rosemary and daughter in a three-story pink-roofed house in New OrleansÂ’ 9th ward, which is now under water.
On Monday afternoon, Domino told his manager, Al Embry of Nashville, that he would “ride out the storm” at home. Embry is now frantic.
Calls have been made to Louisiana Gov. Kathleen BlancoÂ’s office and to various police officials, and though thereÂ’s lots of sympathetic response, the whereabouts of Domino and his family remain a mystery.
In the meantime, another important Louisiana musician who probably hasnÂ’t been asked to be in any telethons is the also legendary Allen Toussaint.
Another Rock Hall member, Toussaint wrote Patti LaBelle’s hit “Lady Marmalade” and Dr. John’s “Right Place, Wrong Time.”
His arrangements and orchestrations for hundreds of hit records, including his own instrumentals “Whipped Cream” and “Java” are American staples. (He also arranged Paul Simon’s hit, “Kodachrome.”)
Last night, Toussaint was one of the 25,000 people holed up at the New Orleans Superdome hoping to get on a bus for HoustonÂ’s Astrodome. I know this because he got a message out to his daughter, who relayed to it through friends.
Also not heard from by friends through last night: New Orleans’s “Queen of Soul” Irma Thomas, who was the original singer of what became the Rolling Stones’ hit, “Time is On My Side.”
LetÂ’s hope and pray it is, because while the Stones roll through the U.S. on their $450-a-ticket tour, Thomas is missing in action. Her club, The LionÂ’s Den, is under water, as are all the famous music hot spots of the city.
Similarly, friends are looking for Antoinette K-Doe, widow of New Orleans wild performer Ernie K-Doe. The Does have a famous nightspot of their own on N. Claiborne Avenue, called the Mother-in-Law Lounge, in honor of Ernie’s immortal hit, “The Mother-in-Law Song.”
Ernie K-Doe, who received a 1998 Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, died in 2001 at age 65.
Dry and safe, but in not much better shape, is the famous Neville family of New Orleans. Aaron Neville and many members of the family evacuated on Monday to Memphis, where they are now staying in a hotel.
But most of the Nevilles’ homes are destroyed, reports their niece and my colleague at “A Current Affair,” Arthel Neville. She went down to her hometown yesterday and called me from a boat that was trying to get near town.
“This isn’t like having two feet of water in your basement,” she said, holding back tears. “Everything is destroyed. I am just so lucky to have been born here and to have had the experience of New Orleans."
She confirmed that there had been rumors of dead bodies floating around her Uncle AaronÂ’s house yesterday. So far, the Nevilles are unannounced to participate in FridayÂ’s TV telethon.
And still there are plenty of other famous musicians associated with New Orleans who would probably like to be on TV if theyÂ’re high and dry.
The Marsalis family comes from the city, and theyÂ’ve played at most of the well known clubs like TipitinaÂ’s, The Maple Leaf, Preservation Hall and Muddy Waters.
New Orleans is also one of the few cities with a House of Blues. And Jimmy Buffet’s Margharitaville Café chain has a local franchise that is still an attraction.
New OrleansÂ’ trademark sounds are Cajun and Zydeco. So far none of the listed benefits have named an act that plays that kind of music.
Talk Host Helps Out
Meantime, talk show host Ellen DeGeneresÂ’ spokeswoman tells me she will address the hurricane on her first new show of the season. The show tapes this afternoon in Los Angeles and will air on Tuesday.
DeGeneres is a New Orleans native, although itÂ’s unclear whether or not she still has family there. But city residents will no doubt be looking to her as a strong public voice and advocate.
Her publicist, Melissa Gross, says sheÂ’s received many calls from people all over the country asking what DeGeneres would do to help victims of Katrina. Gross says a plan will be in place by Tuesday.

Debbolas
09-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Oh, that is just so sad, hope they find those people.....