PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Auto Service Managers: WTF? Your Take:

Flying Tiger
09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I own several different rides.
I realize my GMC dealer has no service manager, just mechanics and the parts guys write up the ticket, (and they are usually so busy they suggest taking it someplace else), my Honda dealer the same, my quad dealer too.
Another friend just got let go from 20 excellent years at his dealership as service manager.
Is it a vanishing occupation like a travel agent?

Kilrtoy
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I realize my GMC dealer has no service manager, just mechanics and the parts guys write up the ticket, (and they are usually so busy they suggest taking it someplace else), my Honda dealer the same, my quad dealer too.
Another friend just got let go from 20 excellent years at his dealership as service manager.
Whats a travel agent......
I agree with ya...
Lot of professions are going to the wayside....

JB in so cal
09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
The agent community needed an adjustment. Far too many were in it just for the free travel perks. Since 9/11, about 10-15000 have left the industry and it's better for it. The amount of people employed by "Brick and Mortar" agencies continues to decline, but it's bouyed by the increase in Home Based agents; mainly ones that have a good book of business and loyal customers.
You would think with the ease of booking travel via the web, they'd go the way of the Do-Do, but not yet. A recent poll of corporate travelers said they prefer an agent to the web. Go Figure.

riverroyal
09-02-2005, 05:32 PM
there a few to many real estate agents huh,,,,and maybe a few tooo many morgage brokers?,,,time will tell

Ziggy
09-02-2005, 05:59 PM
I can't see a dealership operating without someone in command in the shop..... :confused: :confused: That makes no sense to me.
My M-I-L was/is a travel agent....used to do well with travel packages for couples and so on but nowadays if she isn't booking a hosted travel group she just tells all to book on-line for flights.

Oldsquirt
09-02-2005, 07:09 PM
It might be that's it's a real small dealership? The one I'm at is the opposite. We have nearly 30 techs, an Express Lube shop, and 8 installers all covered by 15 service writers. Not only do we have 2 service managers(1 for day shift, one for nights) but we also have a "service co-ordinator" on top of that. I kind of miss the old days when the place was smaller....... :)

boatnam2
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
frahm dodge has 6 service writers and a manager.

randy77zt
09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
techs might be hard to find some day too becuase of low pay vs.other skilled trades.why would somebody buy $20k in tools and get payed by by the job -not hourly.those dealership owners in golf slacks like to screw everybody.most of the recalls out are impossable to do in the allotted time that you are payed for.i am a tech for a living-i want out.

Parker Dreamin
09-02-2005, 09:26 PM
there a few to many real estate agents huh,,,,and maybe a few tooo many morgage brokers?,,,time will tell

shadow
09-02-2005, 09:33 PM
techs might be hard to find some day too becuase of low pay vs.other skilled trades.why would somebody buy $20k in tools and get payed by by the job -not hourly.those dealership owners in golf slacks like to screw everybody.most of the recalls out are impossable to do in the allotted time that you are payed for.i am a tech for a living-i want out.
What dealership are you at?What kind of recalls have they got you doing? ficm harness's?Torque shift trans recall?Rear window hatches?If they ever want too pay me by the hr,then i want out.

76ANTHONY
09-02-2005, 10:48 PM
its all politics, service mngrs come in they hire there own techs and then when they overstay there welcome there gone. this is the reason i quit working for dealers and went independent, alot less bs and alot more non-warranty work, my guys get 50% of the labor, that works out to about 1400-1800 a week. i on the other hand dont make that but i also stay on here posting stuff :D :D

Kachina26
09-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Your Simi GMC dealer has a service manager, he goes by the name Dicudmore here on the boards. I was once at a dealer with no service manager for a short while. They took the used car tech and stuck him in the chair to get yelled at by customers. :rolleyes:
As far as recalls go, GM is getting stingy on what they pay, but, I can usually make money on 'em. I'm with Shadow, when they start paying by the hour instead of the job, I want out.

Just Tool'n
09-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I predict there is going to be a mass exodus in the mortgage broker business.
They can not keep employing all of these people when there are no loans to fund, we have just witnessed the greatest real estate booms in 40-50 years, nothing ever stays the same in the building industry.
Low intrest rates fueled this whole cycle. They are a rising.
I can remembers back in the early 80's when home loans were 12-16%, shit my first house I bought in 1988 was at 10%, I remember thinking I got a good rate.
It's all perception.
Remember to be prepared, it's a coming.

riverbound
09-03-2005, 07:06 AM
I have not worked in a dealership but I used to run a stereo shop and my guys were always paid by the job and never got an hourly wage. The reason I did this is to keep productivity up. If they were getting paid by the job they would figure ways to get the job done faster and they would work much more efficiently. The lazy installers were always the ones who wanted to be paid hourly. They were the ones who would sit around and milk the clock. Probably the same way they would do if the dealership started paying hourly.

76ANTHONY
09-03-2005, 07:27 AM
yep, pay em by the job and if they get a comeback fix it for free, that way they do it right the first time. i have two really good techs that know there stuff so i make out pretty well, dealerships suck, they dont pay anyone go enough to stay, and then theres job security, none at a dealership. my.02 :)

Artv
09-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Your Simi GMC dealer has a service manager, he goes by the name Dicudmore here on the boards. I was once at a dealer with no service manager for a short while. They took the used car tech and stuck him in the chair to get yelled at by customers. :rolleyes:
As far as recalls go, GM is getting stingy on what they pay, but, I can usually make money on 'em. I'm with Shadow, when they start paying by the hour instead of the job, I want out.
I thought he took the job of the service director.

Kachina26
09-03-2005, 09:19 AM
I thought he took the job of the service director.
You are correct, pretty much the same thing isn't it? I'm at a very small dealer, and our service director handles both service and the body shop.

RP1
09-03-2005, 09:46 AM
They're a Dodge dealer, they need that many for all the problems they have.

HocusPocus
09-03-2005, 09:51 AM
and a pretty lady in the finance department. :)
Frahm is where i go for service.. which reminds me im due for an oil change.

HocusPocus
09-03-2005, 10:00 AM
They're a Dodge dealer, they need that many for all the problems they have.
i have a driveway full of dodges..
1. 97 1 ton dually 4x, diesel. 106,000 miles
2. 97 dodge grand caravan. 104,000 miles
3. 99 jeep grand cherokee 78,000 miles
4. 96 dodge dakota just under 288,000 miles..
5. 04 dodge 1 ton dually 30,000 miles
6. 05 dodge quad cab 4x, 6,000 miles
i have never had any major mechanical problems at all.. just oil changes and tune ups. so feel free to bad mouth Dodge all you want. :)

dicudmore
09-04-2005, 10:46 AM
hey, what you talkin' about? :D
I am the service manager/director at Simi Valley GMC/Pontiac.
Call me if I can help you
805-582-6100 ext 15 Dan Cudmore

HCS
09-04-2005, 10:58 AM
I wish we didn't have a service manager. The guys an ass!
He makes a 100,000 a year and thinks his shit doesn't stink. To top it off he's from New York. If you've ever met a New York ass hole you know what I mean.

FASTERDAMITT
09-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Some dealerships are taking a different approach. They have a parts and service director, but all he does is hire assistants at $12 per hour to do all the paperwork and deal with customer complaints. No service or parts manager. Unfortunatly, this director usually know nothing about parts sales or marketing. I was a parts manager for five franchises at the same store for 17 years and seen more service managers/directors get fired than I can count on both hands. Good money but short term employment in most cases.

boatnam2
09-04-2005, 04:52 PM
thanks hp although she dont need the compliment her head is already swelled from all the little 20 year old boys hitting on her all last night at the fair. not that i give a shit but i know your probaly a chevy man and they never break.yea right.

HocusPocus
09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
thanks hp although she dont need the compliment her head is already swelled from all the little 20 year old boys hitting on her all last night at the fair.
now thats gotta be fun to watch. :rolleyes: :D

Parker Dreamin
09-05-2005, 07:41 AM
I predict there is going to be a mass exodus in the mortgage broker business.
They can not keep employing all of these people when there are no loans to fund, we have just witnessed the greatest real estate booms in 40-50 years, nothing ever stays the same in the building industry.
Low intrest rates fueled this whole cycle. They are a rising.
I can remembers back in the early 80's when home loans were 12-16%, shit my first house I bought in 1988 was at 10%, I remember thinking I got a good rate.
It's all perception.
Remember to be prepared, it's a coming.
Low intrest rates fueled this whole cycle. They are a rising.---------- Are you sure they are rising ?

Flying Tiger
09-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Your Simi GMC dealer has a service manager, he goes by the name Dicudmore here on the boards.
I go to Gene Berg in Van Nuys and Schmidt in Glendale.
Neither have a service manager that I know of,,

kgt
09-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I work in a gm dealership in canada for the past 10 years, we cannot locate good techs with their government trades qulification number( a 5 year app), techs wages are aprox 30 dollars per hour and most good shops are going to a 7 or 8 hour guarantee this is due to the shortage of good techs, shop door rates are aprox 100 doallars per hour. With all the req training flat rate is going by the way side, how can a 40 year old system make it with todays cars having as many 30 computer networked together. Anther sore spot for techs is that they cannot write off thier tool on thier income tax, were all other trades can(in canada)