PDA

View Full Version : Two Words That Should Never Be Spoken

burtandnancy
09-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I've watched a lot of TV for the last few days, and heard two words that should never have been uttered in the United States: American Refugees
From the very lowest agency in those devastated cities, to the top of the heap, where the buck stops, I've never seen such ineptitude; from the cop on the corner (or where was he) to the Pentagon and White House, to the agencies who couldn't even deliver the basics for live itself: water. No single entity from the head of a household to President Bush is going to skate on this one. No one is to blame, everyone is. The final lesson here, Mother Nature is a Bitch, and we better learn this soon.
Rant Over, maybe I should have stayed in boating.
Burt

Man-de-lone
09-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Did the levee break due to Mother Nature....... :coffeycup

HighRoller
09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
I guess we have gotten too comfortable in our lives when a level 5 hurricane hits and people are "outraged" that anyone is inconvenienced. But, I'm sure the FEMA guys are all out playing golf today and those choppers that were picking people off of rooftops were not real. They were stock footage from 10 years ago. Stop looking for someone to blame and deal with it.

CARLSON-JET
09-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Did the levee break due to Mother Nature....... :coffeycup
It's levees as in plural.. Still, NO should have had better planning IMO. We as a nation are gaining speed. Many donations and good news are also being reported. hang in there fellow AMERICANS. R.B.

HighRoller
09-03-2005, 07:03 PM
BTW, "American Refugees" is an oxymoron when the people are still in America. They didn't flee the country. Dumbass news people looking to dramatize everything again. Unfortunately they are too stupid to get it right.

haulina29
09-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I agree shut up and deal with it . I live in America but I didnt build the levees it happened now get over it . Many were told to leave and didnt "im sure there were a select few who couldnt " but to the ones who could and stayed tuff shit .

mike37
09-03-2005, 07:36 PM
they will probably need to get the OK from an environmental protection agency before they can re build the levees
now there is a new habitat for fish and wildlife and to Chang that its going to take a lot of red tape
the brown trout must have its new home so the city must stay flooded until this can all be worked out

EXTREMEBOATS
09-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Having been thru the last hurricane season up close and personal, please realize the reality is worse than what you are seeing. Have some compassion for the human life being lost and the suffering they all will go thru in the coming months. Blame is worthless.

HighRoller
09-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Which brings up my next point. This is not the first hurricane to hit that region, nor will it be the last. It's not like this was a "surprise"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LIVE IN A DAMN HURRICANE ZONE SO YOU'RE GOING TO BE HIT BY HURRICANES!!!!!HELLO? ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION? I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE IT'S HOT. DO YOU HEAR ME BITCHING ABOUT THE HEAT? YOU CHOSE TO LIVE THERE SO YOU COULD AT LEAST BE READY FOR A HURRICANE!!!!!AND WHEN THEY TELL YOU THE BIGGEST HURRICANE IN TEN YEARS IS COMING....LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2purples:

haulina29
09-03-2005, 07:59 PM
High Roller AMEN brother!!!!! Aint like its the first time the winds blown down there . Use your head get the hell out of there for good .

FHI-prez
09-04-2005, 07:11 AM
I think it's kind of funny that the city or NO blames the govt. for the failure of the levees. Maybe, just maybe, they should have taken some of the money that city makes from tourists and built levees that could withstand the inevitable. That is possibly the most corrupt city in the US, with every city official and MANY cops for sale to the highest bidder. Their greed has cost them dearly. I seem to recall the greater NO area (possibly the entire state of Louisianna) kept the drinking age at 18 which precluded them for a LOT of federal aid for roads and infrastructure for years. They felt (honestly I don't know for how long) that the untracable cash brought in by underage tourists and locals was more lucrative than federal funds available that they were not allowed to tap into with their drinking laws.
Why should the federal govt be responsible (taxpayers) for making sure the levee system was as strong as possible. That city makes BILLIONS per year, yet they cry to the govt about the levees breaking. I don't believe for one minute that those levees were as strong as possible. I think they decided to build them to a certain level as to not hit their own pocket books to hard in the short run. The gambled and they lost.

Biglue
09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Here's another two scary words to hear.
I'm Pregnant. :2purples: :220v:

09-04-2005, 10:09 AM
New Orleans is protected wetlands now.

FHI-prez
09-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Here's another two scary words to hear.
I'm Pregnant. :2purples: :220v:
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
I've heard that before and almost had a heart attack, was just a false alarm tho :p :p

burtandnancy
09-04-2005, 10:41 AM
FHI-Pres, I agree with some of your comments, however the building of the levees was done long ago, before it was fashionable to be so currupt. They were however built with tax payer dollars and probably cost 10 times more than if the private sector would have done the job. With the money our government is now getting ready to throw at NO, plus the hundreds of millions the Red Cross, Salvation Army and others will add, they could build a whole new city for 500,000 somewhere above sea level and those poor people wouldn't be homeless again. I bet even Houston and DFW would chip in to get the refugees to go home.

FHI-prez
09-05-2005, 07:10 AM
FHI-Pres, I agree with some of your comments, however the building of the levees was done long ago, before it was fashionable to be so currupt. They were however built with tax payer dollars and probably cost 10 times more than if the private sector would have done the job. With the money our government is now getting ready to throw at NO, plus the hundreds of millions the Red Cross, Salvation Army and others will add, they could build a whole new city for 500,000 somewhere above sea level and those poor people wouldn't be homeless again. I bet even Houston and DFW would chip in to get the refugees to go home.
Actually the biggest break in the levy on Ponchatrain was just finished not too long ago and was just brought up to it's latest design configuration (up to cat 3 storm).
Don't forget this city is built on the delta marshlands. When it was built it wasn't below sea level. The city sinks at a rate of something like 6" a year (or so I understand it from a friend that was a NO native). So the people of NO have inherited a problem that has existed since the beginning, that makes it difficult to be sure, BUT this does not give them the right to blame the feds. Business owners have made millions off tourists that come there to party. These business owners had a vested interest in their city, but instead of hitting their pocket book to make sure their investment didn't float away, they decided to gamble. But how big of a gamble was it? The business owner will likely make out well with insurance/fed funds and many won't reopen their doors. They'll take the settlement and haul ass. NO will never be like it was. Hopefully this will quell some of the corruption that has plagued the city for so long. It was very important to keep the crime and corruption stats out of the news as to not deter tourists from coming to their city, A LOT of that will come out in the open as the rebuilding process starts, stay tuned...

mike37
09-05-2005, 08:16 AM
did any of you know that the levees are the problem the river needs to flood the aria to rebuild the land with the levees in place that doesn't happen so the land erodes away and sinks
their is now way to fix the problem they have its a catch 22 if the levees hold the land sinks and floods
with no levees the land flood every time the river gets to hight
what they have now is a balancing act if one side gets off just a little flooding happens

MagicMtnDan
09-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I've watched a lot of TV for the last few days, and heard two words that should never have been uttered in the United States: American Refugees
From the very lowest agency in those devastated cities, to the top of the heap, where the buck stops, I've never seen such ineptitude; from the cop on the corner (or where was he) to the Pentagon and White House, to the agencies who couldn't even deliver the basics for live itself: water. No single entity from the head of a household to President Bush is going to skate on this one. No one is to blame, everyone is. The final lesson here, Mother Nature is a Bitch, and we better learn this soon.
Rant Over, maybe I should have stayed in boating.
Burt
Hey Burt, I've enjoyed most of your posts but I take exception to this one.
Please spend some time reading this thread (I think you're off-target here but I respect your opinion). (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91059)

burtandnancy
09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
MMD, is it the word "refugee", because a lot of people take excelption to that. I think of a refugee as one who is displaced from their home and has no definate place to go, whether it be across country lines or state lines.
FHI-pres, you've put in some good input and you're not the first person to advise me that NO has some serious corruption problems.
The news regarding all the lasts weeks events will be flooding (pardon the pun) the TV and radio for years to come. Also, over on OSO theres some interesting comments from some of the local boaters.