PDA

View Full Version : Builders in Phoenix?????

cdog
09-07-2005, 09:26 AM
So how much does it cost per sqft. to build a semi custom home in Phoenix?
Also how much does it cost to add on to a existing home. I'm looking at a older/smaller home with property and would like to make a my dream to have a 4000sqft garage/shop a reality. Any comments??

Magic34
09-07-2005, 09:54 AM
So how much does it cost per sqft. to build a semi custom home in Phoenix?
Also how much does it cost to add on to a existing home. I'm looking at a older/smaller home with property and would like to make a my dream to have a 4000sqft garage/shop a reality. Any comments??
I'm looking for lots right now to build one. I want a custom home with massive boat and rv garage. The house should be around $130/ft with me watching over most of the build. The garage usually comes in at about 1/2 of the house sq. ft. cost. I figure the garage will cost me $55-$60 per ft complete with A/C, and openers, some of which will be commercial openers for 14' doors.
Where I am at, the pre-owned semi customs are selling between $200-$210 per foot.
That $130/ft above includes really nice features and options. You should be able to get a builder to do a semi custom for $140/ft or so.
Now, some things are going to change though. The price of material will go up due to the situation in the gulf states. They have to rebuild nearly 3 complete cities. A lot of material will head that way driving up demand and making the prices higher across the US.

cdog
09-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm looking for lots right now to build one. I want a custom home with massive boat and rv garage. The house should be around $130/ft with me watching over most of the build. The garage usually comes in at about 1/2 of the house sq. ft. cost. I figure the garage will cost me $55-$60 per ft complete with A/C, and openers, some of which will be commercial openers for 14' doors.
Where I am at, the pre-owned semi customs are selling between $200-$210 per foot.
Are you a builder? I'm not totally up to speed on what you can do in AZ when you add on to a home. Is it like CA where you can tear down everything but one wall, then it becomes alot more expensive as far as permits and tax's? What area will you be looking into? We want to be in Scottsdale. My wife likes the newer style homes, but I like the lot sizes of the older areas. I wonder if it's cheaper to tear down the old or just make it bigger.

prosthogod
09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
I live in snottsdale (for 11 yrs), and can tell you prices have gone thruogh the roof in the past year. In my hood they are buying the old hoses for ~800k-1.2mil and tearing them down to build 2.5 mil homes. Where I live everything is 1.25 acres. PM me if you want more info. No i'm not a realitor(but I did stay at holiday inn last night).

2Driver
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Are you a builder? I'm not totally up to speed on what you can do in AZ when you add on to a home. Is it like CA where you can tear down everything but one wall, then it becomes alot more expensive as far as permits and tax's? What area will you be looking into? We want to be in Scottsdale. My wife likes the newer style homes, but I like the lot sizes of the older areas. I wonder if it's cheaper to tear down the old or just make it bigger.
There are lots of really cool areas in Scottsdale where you can get 2+ acres, heavily vegetated desertscapes, newer homes and room for the toys. Lots of homes already have RV or multiple garages. Check in the area of Scottsdale Road and Jomax Rd and north of that. Convenient to the 101 freeway. Get some good ref’s on builders since everyone has either become a realtor or a builder overnight ;) There are lots of small niche areas of Scottsdale where homes are newer and the lot sizes are 1-5 acres. We are up in Carefree on 7 acres, which is essentially north Scottsdale and love it.

Jordy
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Is it like CA where you can tear down everything but one wall, then it becomes alot more expensive as far as permits and tax's?
If you leave one wall standing it's considered a remodel rather than a new build and from what I understand it's cheaper to go that route from a financing viewpoint as well as all the permits, etc. ;)

Vada
09-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Jordy!

Big Warlock
09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
can charge $300 per square foot. Best to check in and find a builder who does great work at a reasonable price. Problem is, they are all swamped. We have friends who build and can quote you if you have plans?

Outnumbered
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I just worked on a few semi-customs in the 3,000 sqft range that ran about $115 a square with pretty nice quality but not top of the line. The prices quoted above are pretty typical. You should be able to build a real nice custom house for $130-150 sqft. Keep in mind that the larger the house, the lower the cost to build per sqft in most cases. The customs we are working on in Cali are running over $175 per square.

cdog
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I would like to be in the 54 zip areas. The areas that I saw are in the snottsdale estates areas. The neighborhoods are'nt that impressive right now, but I think that may change in the future. I'm in the process of getting my broker lic. in AZ. We'll probably be there by Jan. or Feb. I have a couple of realtor friends who have me on the emailer list right now for homes and it seems that the market is starting to change and slow down out there. I get emails about 3 times a day with about 3-6 listings each email and half of the homes are vacant. My only problem with the north scottsdale area is that it's so far from everything. I'm looking forward to living just down the street from Ruth Chris. YUMMM! So for the people who live out there, What is your take on that area? It seems that alot of people who moved from CA or invested in AZ put their $$ in the newer areas. My wife is fine with a north scottsdale newer home. I know I will not be happy with a 3 car garage/tract home. I really want a home that I will never have to sell to upgrade.

Magic34
09-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm not a builder. You can completely level a home for around $10k. I have a friend that has done this 2 times now in Scottsdale. It is very popular in that area.
I also know a few who leave up a few walls and rebuild 90% of the house. It does save some money and issues with permits and such, but I would rather start fresh.

Magic34
09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I am friends with a custom builder who can get it done in about 7 months complete. PM me if you want his contact info. He is very competitive in pricing as well.

Rockdog
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
The Snotsdale area is nice, but the traffic is so congested it takes forever to get anywhere. Don't knock the newer areas. You have a lot more room to do custom work like you mention. We picked the Goodyear area 7 yrs ago when there was nothing out there, and it's completely built up around us now. I-10 is a mile away, so I can be downtown in about 20 minutes. The newer areas out towards Buckeye are putting in some pretty expensive customs, so you wouldn't have to worry about overbuilding and being overpriced. We used Golden Heritage Homes to build ours and they did quality work.

Lake Ape
09-07-2005, 11:46 AM
If you leave one wall standing it's considered a remodel rather than a new build and from what I understand it's cheaper to go that route from a financing viewpoint as well as all the permits, etc. ;)
Not true so much in the Phoenix area. In some parts of the country like CA this holds true due to zoning boards, taxes and permits. In the Phoenix valley the zoning board is still pretty easy to deal with if you are going above or under pre-set deed restrictions, etc. taxes are going to be re-assessed which ever you do (they are really behind though and it could take years), and permits are still pretty easy too.
Isn't your mom a Realtor Jordy, I think I may have actually met her.

CNeidhart
09-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi,
I'm a Phoenix area builder. Have been for 34 years. Check our web site @ www.cost2build.com
I have a data base on the web that will help you price out a (base) custom home in different parts of the valley. Each city has there own requirements for Builders to comply with. That is why the cost differ so much. We've had Clients from all price ranges.
Good Luck

ThongMagnet
09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Check out Greenway Rd. and Tatum blvd area. Most of the lots are 10,000 sqft plus. Close to downtown. You get the phoenix zip (85032/85254) code which will save you $100,000, yet scottsdale is across the street. I have a 4 car garage with two of the stalls 35 ft deep and 12foot tall doors. A great place to store the boat, and also have enough room to hide the Ferrai, Hummer, and toy trailer, and a 10x12 workshop. The house is only 2200 sqft, but the garage makes up for it. All for less than $650K

2Driver
09-07-2005, 05:25 PM
I would like to be in the 54 zip areas. The areas that I saw are in the snottsdale estates areas. The neighborhoods are'nt that impressive right now, but I think that may change in the future. I'm in the process of getting my broker lic. in AZ. We'll probably be there by Jan. or Feb. I have a couple of realtor friends who have me on the emailer list right now for homes and it seems that the market is starting to change and slow down out there. I get emails about 3 times a day with about 3-6 listings each email and half of the homes are vacant. My only problem with the north scottsdale area is that it's so far from everything. I'm looking forward to living just down the street from Ruth Chris. YUMMM! So for the people who live out there, What is your take on that area? It seems that alot of people who moved from CA or invested in AZ put their $$ in the newer areas. My wife is fine with a north scottsdale newer home. I know I will not be happy with a 3 car garage/tract home. I really want a home that I will never have to sell to upgrade.
I think you may be confusing North Scottsdale with upper track home choices only. You can hop on the 101 in 5 minutes and still live in really cool place with 1-5 acres of pristine desert and all kinds of home choices. You are just as close to Mastros, Maggianos, 4-seasons, Mortons etc.. and the hub bub of North Scottsdale. If you are not confined to your area due to work I would really take a look at some of the stuff just north of the 101. Perhaps your realtor does not know the area as well. I'd be more than happy to help if you need it. LEt me know or PM me.
Here an example..the building on the left is the garage and workshop. Driveway not real boat friendly though :supp:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2789DSC_0002-med.JPG