PDA

View Full Version : Day Laborers

Boozer
09-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Anyone had any luck using day laborers? Any luck using a day laborer that turned into a full time employee?
I'm getting ready to expand the business and will need more employees. I'm thinking a day laborer would be a good way to see what kind of potential someone has.
Do most labor agencies background check the employees? I definitely don't want any felons working for me!

Jbb
09-09-2005, 09:20 AM
lol...where is that video...... :D

djunkie
09-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Thats just wrong. But that is a funny video. :D :D

Racer277
09-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Gawd, we still laugh at that one around here (the mex's too!)! :D :D :D

Danhercules
09-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Boozer, check your PM's

boatnam2
09-09-2005, 09:30 AM
i would say your wasting your time.reason they are day laborers is they cant hold down a job for a week.i guess ofcourse you may get lucky and find the one that is worthwhile but it might not be anytime soon.good luck

lucky
09-09-2005, 09:32 AM
here ya go brian
http://thats****ed.org/video/funny-racist-video.htm
focked.org -

plaster dave
09-09-2005, 09:38 AM
The trick to getting a good day labor is.
1. no smokers
2. short and skin
3. does not speak good English
Good Luck

Jbb
09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
here ya go brian
http://thats****ed.org/video/funny-racist-video.htm
focked.org -
:D :D :D

sorry dog
09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
My experience in construction...
About 1 in 10 would last a month. Maybe 1 in 50 would last a year.
But sometimes you'd get some really funny ones...like we got a flaming gay couple (in pick joggin suits) dropped off to us at a job in the middle of the woods. We handled them shovels and said dig. They said " I don't think so (with a heavy lisp) and proceeded to leave the job and go check out wilderness. :eek:

phebus
09-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I allways hire the one's with work boots on. The one's in flip flops, or flimsy tennis shoes on aren't worth a damn.

lucky
09-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I allways hire the one's with work boots on. The one's in flip flops, or flimsy tennis shoes on aren't worth a damn.
how about the ones that don't tell ya to fock off when ya call them beaners ??? :D ( it's been quiet since yesterday , have to do somthing )

JetBoatRich
09-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Danny find me two for full time work out of Yucaipa :D

Scream
09-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Danny,
You'd be better off getting peeps from a temp agency. They're screened, they're paperworked to death, and they charge you one low flat hourly rate that includes thier workers comp ins. You don't have to recruit, take apps, or any of that crap. If you like them, you can convert to full time permanent usually within 3 months, if not, just like fishing, throw it back and get another...Usually within 3 months you can tell if the employee is going to work out or not.

ROZ
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree with what scream posted... Day laborer or not, you'll need insurance or you will get burned.... I heard of someone recently, can't remember where, who hired a day laborer over the course of a few months(biggest mistake) who got hurt on the job. Since he was day labor he didn't have workman's comp. They guy is suing the man for medical expenses... How ya like that :)
Make it legit...

Schiada76
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Try to find a guacamole. We've had better luck with them than the beaners. :D

tahitijet
09-09-2005, 05:10 PM
My experience in construction...
About 1 in 10 would last a month. Maybe 1 in 50 would last a year.
But sometimes you'd get some really funny ones...like we got a flaming gay couple (in pick joggin suits) dropped off to us at a job in the middle of the woods. We handled them shovels and said dig. They said " I don't think so (with a heavy lisp) and proceeded to leave the job and go check out wilderness. :eek:\
I'd agree here at my last job i was field forman for a Co in Nor cal we worked all over cali and from time to time we needed to fill a spot in a hurry and would use labor ready locally. The trick was to determine as quick as you could which guys really wanted to work and were just using the service till they found a job.. and the ones that are carrier day laborers. 3 or 4 of the best employess we had came out of labor ready.

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey Boozer,
I work for a temporary staffing service. We do not work with day labor but we do have weekly paid laborers. You can use the employee one day or longer, that is up to you. It is not a standard requirement to background check or drug test all employees. We have certain clients that do request it and have special rates for them. Your cost is less if you don't do it. But if you do the agency will usually charge you a flat fee for every person you check out or you will get an additional percent charged on top of your regular bill rate.
With day labor I think you run into the chance of paying the employee at the end of the day and even though they were good, they got paid and usually don't return back to work the next day. With weekly labor they usually look forward to getting their BIG checks, so those extra days will count once payday comes around.
Again, you can test a person out, usually standard is for 4 hours minimum, if you don't like the work they do, send them to the agency, and call them to send you another person. Alot of the time you can resolve not going through so many people by interviewing them first, explaining the job and seeing what kind of interest they have in what you need them to do. You can tell the agency to background check them whenever you want. What I like to do is tell the employees that if they commit to the job and they end up flaking on our client or us, no matter what their pay was, the last week worked will be paid at minimum wage, this way they will accept if really interested or decline right away and not waste your time. So for example if you are not sure how the person will work, put a limit, once the employee has worked a full 5 days, then drug test/background check them. That way you don't pay for every person you are sent and add up your invoice bill for every single person that was sent, that did not work out for you.
There are many options, make sure whoever you go with explains all of this to you before hand. They will also ask you to sign a contract that usually states the Agencies time limit and requirements, but that is when you give them yours and make sure they can meet your requirements as well. You are the client and we are always told you are always right so you tell them what you want and need and they will usually go with it.
Hope this helps....

JackieV
09-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey YOU!!!! :wink: How are you!? :)

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey there, I've been busy with work and the new house plans, daughter, the husband.... LOL You know the same old things.
I see you have an addition to the family - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
He is sooooooooo cute, (sorry Mainevent from "One day only", internal joke).
Anyway I've been pretty busy and we are on the saving money phase right now. We won't be doing too much in the next few months but we should be seeing you the first weekend of October, right? I talked to my sister and she said she spoke to you earlier this week and can't wait to come down to AZ and visit.
So how's my little (other) daughter doing?????? ;) :D

JackieV
09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey there, I've been busy with work and the new house plans, daughter, the husband.... LOL You know the same old things.
I see you have an addition to the family - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
He is sooooooooo cute, (sorry Mainevent from "One day only", internal joke).
Anyway I've been pretty busy and we are on the saving money phase right now. We won't be doing too much in the next few months but we should be seeing you the first weekend of October, right? I talked to my sister and she said she spoke to you earlier this week and can't wait to come down to AZ and visit.
So how's my little (other) daughter doing?????? ;) :D
LOL, yeah I know the feeling :hammer2: but remember you are still welcome to come by and visit anytime.
Yeah, Bear is a true boy pup! Thanks for the compliment on his handsome looks.
Your little girl is talking and giving more of a girlie-tude more so every day. It's funny to watch her. lol
October 1st baby! That's my 26th B-day too. I just found out that the USC game was on the same day as my B-day. It'll be nice. :D
Speaking of which....I'll PM ya. :idea:

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Well then we willjust need to celebrate the Scuba way. I hope you make it to the game....... I mean with the way we are going to have you celebrating....
So are you having a Bday party for my little one?

ROZ
09-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey there, I've been busy with work and the new house plans, daughter, the husband...
Speaking of... Congratulations on the house and pool... Believe me, you gonna love it!
:)

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks, for the money we put into the pool, I'm thinking of living in it.... LOL.
8-12 months is a very long time whe you are looking foward to something. I somewhat hope it comes soon, but then again I can definitely wait as long as it takes for the house payment.
Thank You again

ROZ
09-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks, for the money we put into the pool, I'm thinking of living in it.... LOL.
8-12 months is a very long time whe you are looking foward to something. I somewhat hope it comes soon, but then again I can definitely wait as long as it takes for the house payment.
Thank You again
Ya don't have to be in it to enjoy it...
I emailed Steve about how some mornings at my house start.. Eating breakfast on the patio with my daughter watching PBS kids before school with the pool water feature going... Nice way to start the day :)
Good luck.. I told Mr Scuba to call me if he has any pool questions :)
Have a good one :)

Jordy
09-09-2005, 08:20 PM
the new house plans
'scuse me???? I must have missed that memo... :D :D :D

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Thank you for all your help, it really guides us in the right direction.
Yup, I can't wait.

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey there Jordy,
We are moving a bit closer to you, by this time next year we will be from Phoenix and no longer from Mesa. The house is in the early stages, such as it hasn't even been started on yet. We picked out our lot and are picking out all the additions, colors, pool, etc.

Jordy
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey there Jordy,
We are moving a bit closer to you, by this time next year we will be from Phoenix and no longer from Mesa. The house is in the early stages, such as it hasn't even been started on yet. We picked out our lot and are picking out all the additions, colors, pool, etc.
Very cool!!!! Between you, me and the fence post, I hated Mesa. Then again, I spent 3/4 of my life there. ;)
Closer to me??? You coming North or going West too??? I miss seeing you guys, but things have been crazy. Should slow down here one of these days and we'll meet up. ;)

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah I know what yu mean. It's been pretty crazy for us as well as very busy.
We will be moving west. We will be moving to a huge area of new communities close to Laveen. There will be nothing around us but new homes and fields of nothing.
We got a good size lot, a bigger house and a HUMONGOUS pool, so we better enjoy it, eventually.
I know Steve will let you know when we get a chance to relax and we will dfinitely get together.

Jordy
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
I know Steve will let you know when we get a chance to relax and we will dfinitely get together.
I'm looking forward to it. ;)
I know that area is blowing up. I've got generators all over the place out there (and pretty much everywhere from Maricopa up to Anthem and East and West from Florence to 175th ave and Bell) on model homes, builders trailers and even power up houses to do walk throughs because the building is ahead of the power companies. The growth is amazing these days. Congrats to you guys!!! Can't wait to see you. :D :D :D

Mrs Scuba
09-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks Jordy.
We'll let you know when we're nearby or when we can meet up with you.
We'd love to have a moment of relaxation and no worries, it is just not the time for us yet. We understand how busy you are so no worries, I'm glad your busy thought. The busier the more drinks you can buy us when we go out, LOL.
:idea: