PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed Yet Interesting...

Riverkid
09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Subject: FW: Truth and Leadership in Time of Crisis
WELL, THIS SAYS IT ALL, FINALLY THE TRUTH, UNBELIEVABLE.
GEORGE
Friends:
Some of the uninformed commentary relative to the disaster in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana is appalling.
Our founding fathers established a Republic Republic and wisely left all powers in the individual States except where expressly delegated to the federal government.
Hurricane Katrina devastated Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
In Alabama and Mississippi leaders led and people helped each other as they always have in the United States of America.
Somehow in Louisiana, State and Local officials who refused to heed the warnings and delayed asking for outside assistance now whine that the federal government did not save them from the results of their own inaction and the lawlessness of their local citizenry who loot and shoot at brave rescuers.
Attached is some most interesting on-the-scene-information relative to the decisions made with respect to
the response to hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, from a source I have found trustworthy in the past.
On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented
action of calling Mayor Nagin of New Orleans and Governor Blanco of Louisiana personally to plead with them
to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New Orleans (N.O.) and they said they'd take it under consideration.
This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed.
President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting
all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance and not be in violation of the
Posse Comitatus Act (U.S. military prohibited from police powers in the states) or having to declare a State of Insurgency under the Insurgency Act.
Just before midnight Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign
the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up.
He was told that they didn't think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet.
After the President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political
ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it
would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.
Saturday before the storm hit the President again called governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin requesting they please sign the required papers requesting federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin mandatory evacuation.
After a personal plea from the President Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full
mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting and authorizing federal
action.
In frustration the President, on his own, before the hurricane struck, declared the area a national disaster area even before the state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations.
Rumor has it that the President's legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency
act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal
government can move into state with troops - but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called into question to use before the disaster.
Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to New Orleans for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a marina and support the gambling ships. Toss in the investigation that will look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal government for funding and published on the city's website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning - though the document implies that they were.
The suffering people of New Orleans need to be asking some hard questions as do we all, but they better start with why Governor Blanco refused to even sign the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states.
Or maybe ask why Mayor Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered
500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.
This is a sad time for all of us to see that a major city has all but been destroyed and thousands of
people have died with hundreds of thousands more suffering, but it's certainly not a time for people to
be pointing fingers and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and incompetence. Pray to
God for the survivors that they can start their lives anew as fast as possible and we learn from all the
mistakes to avoid them in the future.
Further, reference has been made (but I have not had the time to verify personally) to applicable Louisiana law which apparently provided all the authority the Governor needed if she had acted:
West's Louisiana Statutes Annotated Currentness; Louisiana Revised Statutes; Title 29. Military, Naval, and Veterans' Affairs; Chapter 1. Military Forces of the State; Part I. General Provisions for Military Forces of the State.
Section 2:<BR
"The governor of the state, by virtue of her office, shall be the commander in chief of the militia of the state."
Section 7: Calling militia for active service by governor; homeland security and emergency preparedness; public emergency
A. The governor may order into the active service of the state any part of the militia that is necessary to provide for homeland security or emergency preparedness or in the event of insurrection, invasion, or riot, or imminent danger thereof, or in the event of public disaster or danger from flood, fire, storm, earthquake, civil disturbances, terrorist events, or in order to detect, prevent, prepare for, investigate, respond to, or recover from any of the foregoing, or to assist the civil authorities in guarding prisoners, or in response to a national or state emergency or a congressional authorization or presidential declaration pursuant to the War Powers Resolution (50 U.S.C. 1541 et seq.).
B. When called to state service by the governor as provided in Subsection A, members of the Louisiana National Guard and military police shall, unless otherwise restricted by the executive orders, proclamations, or regulations or the orders of their commander, have all of the powers and authority of peace officers, including but not limited to the powers to make arrests, to perform searches and seizures, to execute criminal warrants, and to exercise such other powers and duties of a peace officer as are reasonably necessary to preserve the lives, property, and security of persons in the subject civil jurisdiction, all in accordance with the laws and constitutions of Louisiana and the United States of America.
Leadership in time of crisis mandates:
LEAD,
Follow,
or get out of the way.

slink
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Who wrote it?
Definitely not Kanye West (SP) :D

mike37
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
louisiana diaster plan (http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/plans/EOPSupplement1a.pdf#search='Louisiana%20disaster%2 0plan')

mike37
09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
looks like the Governor forgot to do their job
Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00
'The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...
I did a search on this and actually found this on the page marked number 9/Adobe page number 14, item D in the Louisiana disaster

Riverkid
09-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Who wrote it?
Last time I included the author Hooli was on my shit like crazy. Crazy copyright infringement and stuff... :D
BTW... Where is that guy??? :D I pulled it off AOL News. I'll look for the author credits.

'78 gt boat
09-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Sounds like some shady sh@! going on in that state. It all sucks at this point. My prayers go out to all of those who have lost.

aslack99
09-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I'ts amazing to see this blame game going on when most all of the people affected by this knew it was coming.And they still refuse to leave.This is a terrible disaster and I feel for many of my neighbors to the south, but nobody's at fault except mother nature,especially the feds which I'm not always high on. :confused:

FHI-prez
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Although I tend to agree with almost every word of that post (good post btw) there is still the obvious that no one seems to be saying.
The sad fact is that we as a nation are really not ready for things like this to happen on our soil, we are spoiled to a point. The red tape and partisan politics don't help the situation either.
The problem is (as a nation) when ANYTHING bad happens we look for someone (anyone) else to blame. We are the most sue happy people on the planet. SOOOO, we start to play the blame game. Which is completely retarded, but we still do it.
I've got news for everyone, the entire system is too blame. It sucks to blame the victims, but for the MOST part, very few of them couldn't leave. Most could have found a way. If they stole buses as well as they stole TV's they would all be out of the shithole of a city.
You can't convince me for one single second that if 5 years from now after all of this is a bad memory, and another CAT 5 storm is headed right towards N.O. that there will be as many people left in the city that "couldn't" leave. That city would be a ghost town, and only the scum bags would be left to pick it clean when everyone else is gone, then rightfully so...they probably would drown. That city wouldn't have NEAR as many people in it in this scenario even if the reaction of the local and fed govt was the same as it was in this case.
So the "victims" are to blame. The local and state govs gambled and lost (or are just so inept that they had no clue what to do), the fed couldn't react as strong as they could have if their own goddamn beauracracy didn't constantly have them by the balls. Getting anything done on the govt level is like trying to wrestle an elephant.
The Media is to blame for jumping on every single bandwagon that comes along in the storms aftermath. The media doesn't concern themselves with facts or (god forbid) common sense. It's whatever will sell airtime and papers.
So in reality, it's not whose to blame, because NO ONE was ready for this.
I for one would really like to see just one of the dopey bastards that stayed in that city blame themselves for being there when they should have left. One dumb asshole was even ignorant enough to declare that he was so pissed off at the poor reaction of GW and he was only left behind because the "govt don't care bout's no black fokes" and then proceeds to complain that he was stuck there "cuz his car be in fo foots o' wada! So I cants be leavin no how!" I've seen a crap load of cars and buses floating around that city, and keep hearing the same ole bullshit that those poor people had no way out. I shudder to think of the lawyers rubbing there hands together just thinking about the class action lawsuits they will bring against the govt before this is all over with.
The whole reason for declaring a madatory evacuation is so the city can actually try and evacuate the people that really can't leave. WTF are you going to do with 150,000 people that refuse the evac order? Not enough time to go house to house and force them out.

FHI-prez
09-09-2005, 07:07 PM
The govt is handing out debit cards to the evacuees, the first question they should ask each applicant should be...do you have a car....if they say yes, beat them senseless and say "next!" I truly feel for those that were physically unable to leave that city, but they are few and far between. :messedup:

probablecause
09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
When all of the investigations are complete, the reports will show that the local and state government had no plan what-so-ever. I guess that is the President's fault also. Also remember, F.E.M.A. is not a first responder.

***boateditor
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
The problem is (as a nation) when ANYTHING bad happens we look for someone (anyone) else to blame. We are the most sue happy people on the planet. SOOOO, we start to play the blame game. Which is completely retarded, but we still do it.
I blame the hurricane.

FHI-prez
09-10-2005, 12:11 PM
I blame the hurricane.
I wonder if you can sue a hurricane? :idea:

Liberator TJ1984
09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/05.09.06.NOBlame-X.gif

Ziggy
09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Order of Goverment responses are supposed to be:
1) Local
2) County(Parrish)
3) State
4) Federal
No matter how you look at it somethings were ill prepared locally and not carried thru..........and it escalated from there.