PDA

View Full Version : capacitor question

teekster
09-10-2005, 06:01 AM
I have a capacitor in-line with my sub amp. As I live in MN, my boat is going away to storage for about 6 months.
My question is: Is it safe to just disconnect the power lead from the battery, or do I need to discharge the cap? The cap is in a location that is not easy to reach. If I can, I would like to ignore it.
PS. I don't want to start a discussion on the controversial nature of capacitors here.
thanks,
Teek

1stepcloser
09-10-2005, 06:15 AM
I have a capacitor in-line with my sub amp. As I live in MN, my boat is going away to storage for about 6 months.
My question is: Is it safe to just disconnect the power lead from the battery, or do I need to discharge the cap? The cap is in a location that is not easy to reach. If I can, I would like to ignore it.
PS. I don't want to start a discussion on the controversial nature of capacitors here.
thanks,
Teek
The cap will discharge itself over that time period.
When you rehook the battery I would recommend using the resistor that came with the cap, or just put a test light inline when you do.
As far as controversy, Whatever do you mean? :D

rivercrazy
09-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Oh one of those energy supply sources

1stepcloser
09-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Exactly!

ROZ
09-10-2005, 08:49 AM
A power source?
you slippin' :D

1stepcloser
09-10-2005, 09:04 AM
A power source?
you slippin' :D :confused:
Sure. It supplies extra power to the amps when deep bass notes hit. :cool:

h2oski2fast
09-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Here we go again. :hammerhea :boxingguy :argue: :) :eek: :2purples:

rivercrazy
09-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I was being sarcastic! :D

Flashover
09-10-2005, 12:47 PM
OH Please lets don't open this can of worms again... :hammerhea :hammerhea Do us all a favor and just go plug that thing into the wall and watch it blow up and catch on fire.. :2purples: