PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs 4 21'

johnny8052
05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
just bought a 21' ultra. a friend of mine with a 21' advantage tells me i will need trim tabs. Are they a must? Also thininking about livorsi shifters. Should i do it now while it is being built or can it wait?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Ask John West these questions as he will not steer you wrong..... Personally, I find the offshore style controls much better than the standard Mercury shifter.....

sigepmock
05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
We had a 2005 21 Ultra Stealth and loved it, the trim tabs would have been nice on a couple of the rough days but they are not necessary. They can add "length" to the boat and help psh the nose down, but they are a little pricey. As far as the shifter, the stock Merc shifter is fine and easier for most people to drive, spend the money on gas. Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the Ultra family, hope to see you at the Regatta.
Tell us about the boat, what power...6.2L, 496?, What colors? Just curious.
Chris

rodnjen
05-09-2006, 06:33 AM
I have a 21' Essex and the only time I thought tabs may have been usefull was with boat-load of people and rough conditions. On a 21' the tabs will help with weight distribution, but just using the trim properly should handle the job 99% of the time. It does depend on power and weight of the motor/drive combo and what type of boating you are doing. If you have looked at boats on the water and I'm sure you have, you rarely see a 21' with tabs.

jbtrailerjim
05-09-2006, 07:25 AM
We had a 2005 21 Ultra Stealth and loved it, the trim tabs would have been nice on a couple of the rough days but they are not necessary. They can add "length" to the boat and help psh the nose down, but they are a little pricey. As far as the shifter, the stock Merc shifter is fine and easier for most people to drive, spend the money on gas. Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the Ultra family, hope to see you at the Regatta.
Tell us about the boat, what power...6.2L, 496?, What colors? Just curious.
Chris
Had a 21' Ultra? :confused: Did you sell your Ultra?

sigepmock
05-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Had a 21' Ultra? :confused: Did you sell your Ultra?
Damn you guys are quick...... :)
We traded it in on a pontoon boat with Ultra stickers... :D
Chris

jbtrailerjim
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Chris
That's cool. I've honestly thought about doing the same thing. I'm just not sure if I would be happy with one. It sure would be a hell of a lot easier with kids though.

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Chris
another pontoon weekend for me too...either the one with Valco racing stickers or JC...

sigepmock
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
That's cool. I've honestly thought about doing the same thing. I'm just not sure if I would be happy with one. It sure would be a hell of a lot easier with kids though.
We're going to cruise the pontoon for a month or two, should be interesting and hopefully easy with the family.
all I know is last time I talked to Chris he was meo-wing like a kitty
Sshhhhhh!!!!! :)

Havasu_Dreamin
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
another pontoon weekend for me too...either the one with Valco racing stickers
Does 22.3 MPH count as racing? LMAO :p

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Does 22.3 MPH count as racing? LMAO :p
all depends on what you're racing against :cool:
that would take my old Sun Tracker :220v:
Hell right now its faster than MY boat

Havasu_Dreamin
05-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Hell right now its faster than MY boat
Speaking of, what's the word?

jbtrailerjim
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
We're going to cruise the pontoon for a month or two, should be interesting and hopefully easy with the family.
Sshhhhhh!!!!! :)
A couple of months ehhh? Is that what the wait is for John to build you a new 27 Shadow? :idea:

SDLifesaver
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
just bought a 21' ultra. a friend of mine with a 21' advantage tells me i will need trim tabs. Are they a must? Also thininking about livorsi shifters. Should i do it now while it is being built or can it wait?
We had trim tabs on our 21' Howard. They were really good for wake boarding and skiing but at speeds above 35mph we were told not to use them. I think they are about $1,000.00 for good ones so my .02 is if you are debating on the money, spend it on the stereo instead. Good luck.

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
A couple of months ehhh? Is that what the wait is for John to build you a new 27 Shadow? :idea:
Jim I think if you were to order a 27 Shadow last week your estimated delivery would be in July, or thats what I heard anyway :idea: :220v:

sigepmock
05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Jim I think if you were to order a 27 Shadow last week your estimated delivery would be in July, or thats what I heard anyway :idea: :220v:
You guys are killing me!!!!!! :mad: :D

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
You guys are killing me!!!!!! :mad: :D
I said if JIM were to order a Shadow last week :rolleyes:
It was my friend Wade talking to John last week about building one and he was told July

dicudmore
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Speaking of, what's the word?
its broke :( :cry:

frdvschvy
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
It all depends on the hull design of the boat. Some 21 footers will respond very well to trim tabs, and others do not need them. Our 21 Lavey XCS has trim tabs, and they work awesome when running in rough water or with an uneven weight load in the boat. I am very glad I have them when the washing machine starts turning at Havasu!

cc322
05-10-2006, 04:30 AM
IMO get them you wont be sorry. We had a 21 same bottom as yours and after much research decided to add them what a differance, especially when boating in choppy water. We had the Bennetts and they worked great also they had great customer service. We had the M120 and they were about 450.00.
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/