PDA

View Full Version : Getting my shirt tails cut tommorrow!

Kachina26
09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, I know this is a boating board. But, I don't belong to a flying board. I solo for the first time tommorrow, kinda weird considering what day it is. Hopefully I'll live to tell you all about it :D

Kilrtoy
09-11-2005, 07:20 PM
WOW, be careful and good luck.........

HighRoller
09-11-2005, 07:22 PM
How many hours do you have so far? My Dad took his first solo at 16 hours, which surprised me. He's currently working on moving up to cross-country solo flights and he's been doing this for less than 4 months! I guess the FAA mandates a maximum number of hours you can practice before your official check ride so the instructors push you pretty hard.

Forkin' Crazy
09-11-2005, 07:36 PM
I did mine in 8 hrs. :cool: Nothing to it!!!
I was about to solo in a tail dragger and they wadded it up the day before I was suppose to do it. Am looking for another tail dragger to do it in. :)
Well I actually did my first solo in an ultralight with no instruction!! :jawdrop:

Kachina26
09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
How many hours do you have so far? My Dad took his first solo at 16 hours, which surprised me. He's currently working on moving up to cross-country solo flights and he's been doing this for less than 4 months! I guess the FAA mandates a maximum number of hours you can practice before your official check ride so the instructors push you pretty hard.
Just over 14, they told me I would need 20. I'm not sure about a max number of hours before the checkride, but I believe the solo cert is good for 90 days.

Forkin' Crazy
09-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Just over 14, they told me I would need 20. I'm not sure about a max number of hours before the checkride, but I believe the solo cert is good for 90 days.
Your CFI decides the hours.... Unless the insurance has something to do with it. :hammer2:

JetBoatRich
09-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Ok, I know this is a boating board. But, I don't belong to a flying board. I solo for the first time tommorrow, kinda weird considering what day it is. Hopefully I'll live to tell you all about it :D
God luck and be safe :D
I understand what day it is and tough to reference your flight to theirs :mad:

Kachina26
09-11-2005, 09:05 PM
God luck and be safe :D
I understand what day it is and tough to reference your flight to theirs :mad:
I got different plans for my first solo than they had for theirs. Can't believe it's been 4 years, seems like yesterday. :(

JetBoatRich
09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I got different plans for my first solo than they had for theirs. Can't believe it's been 4 years, seems like yesterday. :(
Sure does :mad: I was on a business trip and landed in Phili the night before :mad: ended up driving home that Friday with the rental car

Mrs.Racer277
09-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Wow! Good luck and be safe.
My dad has been a pilot for over 40 years and I still get nervous every time he is up there. :rolleyes: :)

Big Warlock
09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I got my private license 25 years ago! I remember getting the back of my shirt cut open so my wings would come out. I still have the cut out piece!
Good luck buddy! It will be something you remember the rest of your life!
Rob

Kachina26
09-11-2005, 09:24 PM
I got my private license 25 years ago! I remember getting the back of my shirt cut open so my wings would come out. I still have the cut out piece!
Good luck buddy! It will be something you remember the rest of your life!
Rob
Thanx Rob!

Mardonzi
09-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Congrats!!!! It's definately an undescribable feeling as soon as you rotate off the runway and know that there is no turning back.. I remember mine well!!

ahhell
09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
DUDE.....buzz my house...just call before so i can watch
land safely....... :clover:

Kachina26
09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Congrats!!!! It's definately an undescribable feeling as soon as you rotate off the runway and know that there is no turning back.. I remember mine well!!
Ya, I thought I was gonna have a panic attack :D The lady that runs the airfield asked me "How did you get over it?" I told her "I just pushed in the throttle". It was strange when the wheels left the ground and I realized nobody was in the right seat. I got over it real quick and flew just fine. I had my 6 best landings ever. I think it's easier when nobody is next to you. My instructor is very low key, but for some reason I did better alone.
Hey Bob, I have one more supervised solo (means I gotta stay in the pattern) then I promise to "visit" you. Within Faa guidlines of course :D

Tom Brown
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Congratulations, K26! :cool:

Froggystyle
09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Congratulations! Big day... My whole family is pilots except for me. Of course, I am the only diver so it is all evened out. ;)

Kachina26
09-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Congratulations! Big day... My whole family is pilots except for me. Of course, I am the only diver so it is all evened out. ;)
Thanx Froggy, and no ordinary diver at that!

SnakeWrench
09-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Congrats K26, Sounds like you did a hell of a job. Just remember, there is never a reason to be in a hurry when flying. I've lived by that for 14 years and have never had a close call, let alone an accident.
Again, Congrats. Keep it up.

76ANTHONY
09-12-2005, 03:09 PM
CONGRATS ON YOUR FLIGHT, GOTTA GIVE A GUY WHO CAN FLY PROPS..... :D :D :D :D

Forkin' Crazy
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Way to go!!! Get ready for solo cross country... That's the fun part!!! :cool:

Kachina26
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Way to go!!! Get ready for solo cross country... That's the fun part!!! :cool:
That's gonna be weird, over an hour with no radio. Just me the prop and my thoughts. :D Of course it will be to Havasu :D

LUVNLIFE
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Def gonna make getting to Havasu easier. Good for you and congrats. :D

SMFRiverRat
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Congratulations!!!! :crossx:

ahhell
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
That's gonna be weird, over an hour with no radio. Just me the prop and my thoughts. :D Of course it will be to Havasu :D
I'll go if I can pay for the gas,fuel whatever its called :confused:

Kachina26
09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I'll go if I can pay for the gas,fuel whatever its called :confused:
I can't take passengers until I get my full license. But once I do that, we can take a trip. I should have my house done by then :D

ahhell
09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
:D :D :D :D can i wear a parachute??? :wink:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
09-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Congrats !!!!
Your solo is one of those things you'll always remember...... ;)
and......don't forget to yell......
"Can you believe I'm flying an F'n airplane"...as loud as you can on your downwind leg......
REMEMBER......Just fly the plane....... :clover:
Later,
CJG
:D

uvindex
09-12-2005, 05:50 PM
....don't forget to yell......
"Can you believe I'm flying an F'n airplane"...as loud as you can on your downwind leg......I'm not a pilot, but I assume you're not supposed to key the mic for this step, right? :)
Congrats K26!! :boxed:

Kilrtoy
09-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Congrats Randy....
I bet you were on cloud 9 today, Literally

Beer-30
09-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Good for you. Going on 8 years now, and just about to take my Instrument checkride. Have fun.

DaveA
09-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Another aviator dude on the boards. That's a good thing. Something about boats and airplanes that goes together. Now you can start to work on your seaplane rating. After all, you got the boat part down already. You flying out of L26?
I soloed on my 16th birthday, and didn't get my driver's license until a week later. "Hey Mom, can you go with me to the airport??"
Beechcraft Musketeer BE19 was what I was flying...Dad was a Beechcraft peddler, so that was the trainer of choice. Shortly thereafter I took dual in an Aeronca Champ taildragger, and flew it, Citabrias, and the 1939 Waco cabin biplane we had at the time. The Mouse became the shuttle between the two airports we operated out of.
Hopefully you can solo a taildragger someday. That's what real airplanes without training wheels are called!

Kachina26
09-12-2005, 06:58 PM
You flying out of L26?
No, even though it is walking distance from my house. They don't currently have a flight school there. That's quite an airport to get in and out of at that. Only 50' wide. When I first started landing, I kept coming down on the left side of the stripes. I fly out of Kapv (Apple Valley) , the runway is 150' wide and 6500' long. Plenty of room for a newbie like me. I think I can put it down at L26 now. They have an old 65 horse taildragger there for training in now, no electronics and a top speed of around 60 mph :jawdrop:

DaveA
09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
No, even though it is walking distance from my house. They don't currently have a flight school there. That's quite an airport to get in and out of at that. Only 50' wide. When I first started landing, I kept coming down on the left side of the stripes. I fly out of Kapv (Apple Valley) , the runway is 150' wide and 6500' long. Plenty of room for a newbie like me. I think I can put it down at L26 now. They have an old 65 horse taildragger there for training in now, no electronics and a top speed of around 60 mph :jawdrop:
That's a haul up to Apple Valley from south of Hesperia IIRC. If I could find an aerial photo of 14A Lake Norman Airpark, before they paved, widened AND straightened the 3-5 degree kink in the middle, you'd think it was an aircraft carrier...after all, one end is at the lake, soooo......
Get that taildragger endorsement when you can! You'll love it...low and slow...we always say that an old Cub or Champ is one step up from a hot air balloon!
What are you flying right now?

PlyaPlya22
09-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Ya, I thought I was gonna have a panic attack :D The lady that runs the airfield asked me "How did you get over it?" I told her "I just pushed in the throttle". It was strange when the wheels left the ground and I realized nobody was in the right seat. I got over it real quick and flew just fine. I had my 6 best landings ever. I think it's easier when nobody is next to you. My instructor is very low key, but for some reason I did better alone.
Hey Bob, I have one more supervised solo (means I gotta stay in the pattern) then I promise to "visit" you. Within Faa guidlines of course :D
Congrats Randy!!!

Debbolas
09-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Congrats Randy!!! :D
Way to go ;)

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Congrats man...
It's been 15 years since I "soloed" and I still remember it like it was yesterday. About a month after my 16th birthday, it sucked having to wait an entire year to take my private pilot ride. :D I've got my shirt tail in a box somewhere. Best landing I ever made.
You've done something now that less the 1% of the population has experianced, be proud and keep at it. Now the fun starts... cross countries and more airwork... keep us posted. :D

RiverToysJas
09-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Congrats!!! My shirt was cut at 20, and I have not flown since I was 22. :( I liked it a lot, but I bought my first house then, and couldn't afford it anymore.
When I was solo I used to fly out of Long Beach early in the morning, and fly at 1,000 feet down Bolsa Chica and Huntington Beach with my elbow out the window. I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe someday I'll get into it.
RTJas :D

Kachina26
09-13-2005, 07:44 AM
That's a haul up to Apple Valley from south of Hesperia IIRC. If I could find an aerial photo of 14A Lake Norman Airpark, before they paved, widened AND straightened the 3-5 degree kink in the middle, you'd think it was an aircraft carrier...after all, one end is at the lake, soooo......
Get that taildragger endorsement when you can! You'll love it...low and slow...we always say that an old Cub or Champ is one step up from a hot air balloon!
What are you flying right now?
It's not too bad, takes me 1/2 hour to drive up there. I'm in a 1974 skyhawk.

Kachina26
12-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Got my shirt back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Outstanding... we never had a doubt. :D :D :D
OK, now start on your instrument rating. :rolleyes: :D

Kachina26
12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Outstanding... we never had a doubt. :D :D :D
OK, now start on your instrument rating. :rolleyes: :D:jawdrop:
Ya, that's what my examiner said. Told me my scan was a little slow, but within standards. I only have 3 hours hood time.

Charley
12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Congrats k26.... thats cool!

dicudmore
12-11-2005, 05:04 PM
congrats :cool:

SoCal_fun
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
ALLRIGHT!! Nice job!! :)