PDA

View Full Version : Toyz4bigboyz Sandrails

Cole
09-17-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm driving down the 91 fwy and see a semi with about 8 sandrails getting ready to be transported to the show in OC...what a sight that was, so many perty shiny things!!! :D
So I stopped in and talked to a guy named "Boozer"(no relation). Cool guy he showed me around the shop and was showing me a couple of different Rails and he said you can get one of these "4 seaters" with a 1915 motor and all this xtra stuff for $16,900!!!! WTF!!! Or for another $2500 bucks you can get a 2275cc...Now i am not an expert on this kind of stuff....but i thought they had some pretty killer looking Rails for some under $20k!!!

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Those guys build a nice, old school style rail. If you don't need 500+ horsepower and 25"+ wheel travel, they have their niche...
Nice way to get the family into the desert or dunes without needing an X-5... :D

BADBLOWN572
09-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Old style rails are pretty affordable. It gets real expensive when you get into the long travel cars and more power.

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 09:25 AM
There's a pretty big group of us with off road baja's, VW things and some big cars. We have a blast out around Parker in the winter time. There are some great trails out there...

NOTALENT
09-17-2005, 09:32 AM
do they have a website??

Cole
09-17-2005, 09:43 AM
do they have a website??
I dont see a website address on the flyer but their phone # is 951-272-4386 and ask for Boozer.

Cole
09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Those guys build a nice, old school style rail. If you don't need 500+ horsepower and 25"+ wheel travel, they have their niche...
Nice way to get the family into the desert or dunes without needing an X-5... :D
I must be out of the loop...I have no idea what an old school sand rail even looks like!! :hammer2: they looks pretty trick to me!!
What makes these "old school"?? :confused:

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Aftermarket VW based suspension and air cooled VW type 1 or 4 motors. Beam front end with wider/longer trailing arms and springplate based rear trailing arms. Known as mid-travel cars. You can usually get 14" or so front and rear with the right parts. They are light and actually deliver a pretty fair ride if you don't try to run with the big dogs...
I have a tube chassied VW Thing set up like this and we drive the heck out of it...

NOTALENT
09-17-2005, 09:59 AM
They don't have Corvette or Cadillac engines in them and cost $100K. :D
Check out these, this is my buddy Allan's place.
www.extremeperformance1.com
I was checking them out last weekend....37k is outta my range though... :jawdrop: :hammerhea good price..though for whats out there.

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 10:01 AM
I've seen you running around in that thing during the winter.
There's five of us that have built them so far... Orange, Black, Teal and 2 white cars. Mine usually has different colored 'glass fenders because I keep hitting the friggin trees on the "quad trails"...
Purty fun though. We all have radios and intercoms/GPS/Etc. We have some good fun runs out there.

CornWater
09-17-2005, 10:10 AM
They don't have Corvette or Cadillac engines in them and cost $100K. :D
Check out these, this is my buddy Allan's place.
www.extremeperformance1.com
And what is their turn around up to?? 18 months, last I heard... :2purples:

Sleek-Jet
09-17-2005, 10:14 AM
If you actually want to build one, you can pull off a VW rail for less than that. I helped a freind of mine put a couple togather. His first came in at around 10K... that's with powder coating and a lots of billet "bling" he machined himself. This has been a few years ago (4+), I don't know what frames and parts are going for now.

ROZ
09-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Remember when you purchase an entry level car that you won't be able to upgrade to different power plants too easily. Best to upgrade to another car...
Have a friend with X brand car that had a vw motor. Old owner changed to a subie without truely modifying the chasis or suspension.. Now that some weld have broken, they found ou that the steel is paper thin... built for a vw...
Like BB575 said, the type of duty the car can handle is what raises price.. Gt a car that is made for what you plan to do with it... It may cost a bit more initially, but you're less likely to have problems...

Riverkid
09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
^^^ Yep. Plus, a VW will normally come with a bus trans or 091. They will not hold up long behind a subie or other (ecotech, etc) water pumper. Bigger cars come with bigger trannies and better/thicker DOM tubing, etc. Lots of guys want to jump the piss out of their cars. If you can't drive like Dondell, you're gonna be breaking stuff...

bohica
09-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Nice starter car to get you in the dunes, but just like boats, you're gonna want bigger and faster as soon as you see what everybody else has out there.
Had a buddy with one of Boozer's cars. He tried keeping up on a fast ride last season and tore the front shock mount off. Duct taped it back together and got him back to camp.

unleashed
09-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Nice starter car to get you in the dunes, but just like boats, you're gonna want bigger and faster as soon as you see what everybody else has out there.
Had a buddy with one of Boozer's cars. He tried keeping up on a fast ride last season and tore the front shock mount off. Duct taped it back together and got him back to camp.
Bohica, Looks like Im going with the SU car...twin turbo ls1 on pump gas. Shoud be done by Halloween. In the end after shopping around I felt these guys had a top notch operation and if I have a problem with the car they have alot of parts in stock. Great people to work with. I'll see you in the dunes soon after a couple more trips to Havi. I was just setting up at the SSSS and saw a bunch of nice cars. There are a crapload of builders now that build great cars entry and top level. Let me know if you'll be at the show.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

H20 Party Starter
09-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Bohica, Looks like Im going with the SU car...twin turbo ls1 on pump gas. Shoud be done by Halloween. In the end after shopping around I felt these guys had a top notch operation and if I have a problem with the car they have alot of parts in stock. Great people to work with. I'll see you in the dunes soon after a couple more trips to Havi. I was just setting up at the SSSS and saw a bunch of nice cars. There are a crapload of builders now that build great cars entry and top level. Let me know if you'll be at the show.
Deano
Deano, we'll have to meet up in Glamis this season. You said the car will be done by Halloween, but will there be a tranny in it? :2purples: I've heard some horror stories about getting mendi trannys to the dealers recently. Congrats on the purchase! See you in the dunes!
Josh

H20 Toie
09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I had vw buggys for years started with 1835 motors up to 2333 but after riding in a long travel with a v8 it hard to not give in, my new one is a long travel 4 seater with a northstar and you dont have to slow down for bumps. ;)

unleashed
09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Deano, we'll have to meet up in Glamis this season. You said the car will be done by Halloween, but will there be a tranny in it? :2purples: I've heard some horror stories about getting mendi trannys to the dealers recently. Congrats on the purchase! See you in the dunes!
Josh
From what SU told me they should have my S4 pretty quick. I hope they are right. I know the 2D's are backordered like a mother! I'll see you in the dunes for sures no matter what...I still have my quads, bikes, and Rhino as well...its getting tricked out by intertech and will be at the show.
Deano

CornWater
09-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Josh
Deano is a baller... Albins of Fortin??? :D

unleashed
09-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Deano is a baller... Albins of Fortin??? :D
True...but Im going with the sequential Mendiola S4.... :D
What day are you going to the show?? Hey was that tall girl with you at the sandbar your girlfriend??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

CornWater
09-17-2005, 12:00 PM
True...but Im going with the sequential Mendiola S4.... :D
What day are you going to the show?? Hey was that tall girl with you at the sandbar your girlfriend??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
That would be her... I'll be at the show Saturday afternoon. Taking my dad to an Angel game, so we are going to go before the game...

bohica
09-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Deano
Can't go wrong with an S/U car. Who does the motors for them? Turnkey?
Leaving for the show in a few, will stop by and visit for a few. Can't wait for the season to start. We still have a few Havasu trips before I break out the sand toys too.

unleashed
09-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Can't go wrong with an S/U car. Who does the motors for them? Turnkey?
Leaving for the show in a few, will stop by and visit for a few. Can't wait for the season to start. We still have a few Havasu trips before I break out the sand toys too.
Yeah Turnkey does the motors. I went for a ride in one of the SU cars with the twin turbo...man quiet as hell untill the turbo kicks in and its a fast mofo for sures! I know Turnkey had a few problems for awhile but I've heard they cleaned up there act??? I hope so. See you at the show.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

unleashed
09-17-2005, 12:09 PM
That would be her... I'll be at the show Saturday afternoon. Taking my dad to an Angel game, so we are going to go before the game...
Great, goodlooking girl. I wasnt sure if the dark haired girl was yours??? Anyhow if you two get married your kids are gonna be 7ft tall! :sqeyes:
Deano

CornWater
09-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Great, goodlooking girl. I wasnt sure if the dark haired girl was yours??? Anyhow if you two get married your kids are gonna be 7ft tall! :sqeyes:
Deano
The lil hispanic girl?? That was my buddy's fiance..

Baller
09-17-2005, 12:36 PM
I will only say i word... Subaru.. from outback... i have been going to the dunes... for 30+ years.. and have had many rails... I have 3 friends that have extreem w/ 450 LS1.. and guess what my subbie... can beat them at the drags, and thur the dunes... you can't go wrong with a SU car... they have been around, duned with them at St Antony Id... 4th of july... there cars turn good and ride good, and you can get one within 2 months or less, Allan does build a nice car.. but 18 months.. com-on PLEASE..There are soooo many builders out there and most of them these days are using the same setup for suppenison etc.. I have a sand buggy supply 20x20 w a 475hp Subbie from outback.. lite like a vw but tons of power.. just my .02

unleashed
09-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I will only say i word... Subaru.. from outback... i have been going to the dunes... for 30+ years.. and have had many rails... I have 3 friends that have extreem w/ 450 LS1.. and guess what my subbie... can beat them at the drags, and thur the dunes... you can't go wrong with a SU car... they have been around, duned with them at St Antony Id... 4th of july... there cars turn good and ride good, and you can get one within 2 months or less, Allan does build a nice car.. but 18 months.. com-on PLEASE..There are soooo many builders out there and most of them these days are using the same setup for suppenison etc.. I have a sand buggy supply 20x20 w a 475hp Subbie from outback.. lite like a vw but tons of power.. just my .02
Those outback subarus...are definitly nice. Isnt it nice to beat the V8's at the drags with your little motor! :D
Its also nice to see them talking with their buddies afterwards with excuses! :cry:
Deano

bohica
09-17-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/914393163335zEixYm_ph-med.jpg I will only say i word... Subaru.. from outback... i have been going to the dunes... for 30+ years.. and have had many rails... I have 3 friends that have extreem w/ 450 LS1.. and guess what my subbie... can beat them at the drags, and thur the dunes... you can't go wrong with a SU car... they have been around, duned with them at St Antony Id... 4th of july... there cars turn good and ride good, and you can get one within 2 months or less, Allan does build a nice car.. but 18 months.. com-on PLEASE..There are soooo many builders out there and most of them these days are using the same setup for suppenison etc.. I have a sand buggy supply 20x20 w a 475hp Subbie from outback.. lite like a vw but tons of power.. just my .02
Baller, we were in St. Anthony's over 4th of July. Where were you camped? We were with the GD.com group at Desert Oasis. I love that place, best duning bar none. Here's a pic of the wife and Cathi Begin from S/U hanging around our moho up on St. A's

Cole Trickle
09-17-2005, 01:36 PM
The Subie motor is good but it is still hard to beat the turn key quickness of a LS based motor.
What is really sad is how much these shops are charging for these motor packages.My uncle built a sweet long travel Dessert Dynamics car a year and a half ago and went with one of Turn Keyes LS1 385HP TQ package and I want to say the price was close to 8-10K.The TQ package is a step up over the standard LS1(Hehehe) and all they do is replace the LS6 intake manifold with a truck manifold and install a different cam.Sadly I can't tell there is a cam and they set the rev limiter at 5800 well below the LS1's peak HP point.(Honestly it's a rip because you could get a truck manifold for free and the LS6 manifolds sell for $300-400 daily on ebay or on LS1 based websites.They are probablly selling them on the back side for a nice profit)
His car is pretty fast out at Dumont because of his suspension set-up.The guys in the 100K Tatum cars love to talk $$$ and HP numbers but the cars do nothing but wheelie going up the hill.
I have been debating building a motor for a rail recently and I think I would go with a 5.3L and install a magnacharger on top of it for right at 450-475 HP(I think I could have the whole combo put together for close to 5K because of all of the take out motors)
If I spent big oney on a motor thru some of these guys I would want to be there to see it ran on an engine dyno to verify output.(There are huge HP myths going on in the sand community)
What kind of gas do you need to run in a subie to get 450hp?(100,108,116)

Baller
09-17-2005, 03:01 PM
hey bohica... We stayed at Sand hills resort.. there were 5 of us 3 extreems, 1 funco, and me.. We actually picked up cathy the day they were going home.. she ran out of gas.. and took her back to the trailer, then john rode out with us to retrive there rail. We are going back every year now... there are no better dunes...

Baller
09-17-2005, 03:12 PM
:frown: The Subie motor is good but it is still hard to beat the turn key quickness of a LS based motor.
What is really sad is how much these shops are charging for these motor packages.My uncle built a sweet long travel Dessert Dynamics car a year and a half ago and went with one of Turn Keyes LS1 385HP TQ package and I want to say the price was close to 8-10K.The TQ package is a step up over the standard LS1(Hehehe) and all they do is replace the LS6 intake manifold with a truck manifold and install a different cam.Sadly I can't tell there is a cam and they set the rev limiter at 5800 well below the LS1's peak HP point.(Honestly it's a rip because you could get a truck manifold for free and the LS6 manifolds sell for $300-400 daily on ebay or on LS1 based websites.They are probablly selling them on the back side for a nice profit)
His car is pretty fast out at Dumont because of his suspension set-up.The guys in the 100K Tatum cars love to talk $$$ and HP numbers but the cars do nothing but wheelie going up the hill.
I have been debating building a motor for a rail recently and I think I would go with a 5.3L and install a magnacharger on top of it for right at 450-475 HP(I think I could have the whole combo put together for close to 5K because of all of the take out motors)
If I spent big oney on a motor thru some of these guys I would want to be there to see it ran on an engine dyno to verify output.(There are huge HP myths going on in the sand community)
What kind of gas do you need to run in a subie to get 450hp?(100,108,116)
Hey there cole.. you know i'm the one that towed you at the natuical during the regatta... i see that you posted a thank you... and you are very welcome.. always ready to help a stranded hot boater,,/ dunner/ .. I bought that 34 kachina w/ 525s.. what a sweet ride.. the sleek was a great ride too..but guess i'm never happy with what i have.. always wanted to try and buy something for happeiness. .. how sad huh.. anyway back to the sand.. that is one thing about making hp with a small motor... have to run 110.. but it sure is cheaper than running hard in the water, I watched my motor on the dyno at johns shop, and his is very conservative, and with the 20% diffence from the flywheel to the rear wheels it was at 475... 400 to the rear.. there are sooo many stories out there about i'm 500 hp... i'm 600 hp.. you really never know... All i know.. is mine is a 5 seater weighs in about 1800.. and with 20lbs boost.. i pull 2 buggys ahead of on the drags.. and all the v-8 boys love to pull wheelies.. and when there in the air... C-ya... i'm gone...

Ultrafied
09-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Here is their web site .... nice rails!
http://www.toyz4bigboyz.net/