PDA

View Full Version : ON-Q Structured Wiring???

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Anyone think it's worth the $? We are getting it in the new house it's supposed to be "the future" I just said ok, for the cool factor but is it really needed? :supp:
For those of you like me who never heard of this, my definition is it's a little brain in your house where all your satelite, phone & internet connections go to then it distributes the signals throughout your house using CAT5 & RG6 wiring. :sqeyes:
We plan on having 2 computers & 7 satelite tv's so I thought we would get a faster internet & a better picture if we went this route. :confused:

Magic34
09-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Wet Willie knows a thing or 2 about it. I have something like it in my house now. I don't know how trick it really is, but they had to add an amp to it to boost the cable signal because the one that is in the box was weak.
Don't know if I would miss it or not.
Where you moving to?

DelawareDave
09-18-2005, 06:51 AM
I did my house when I bought it. I have a cable TV, telephone, and network (data) jack in every room in the house. I can change which phone number works in each room from a panel in the garage, but everything else is located in a closet. This way, you can plug a computer, or phone, or TV in any room. My wife did ask why I didn't wire the bathrooms, as well.

FHI-prez
09-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Well it's a good idea to at least have it wired for it, then you can always add the harware later if you feel you can benefit from it. This will give you a LOT of flexibility later on. Going with very good hardware is an absolute must, and the wiring procedure must be properly done (all home runs, no junctions). So I'd at least have it wired for that capability, and then determine if you want to spend the extra cash to have the house trimmed out. As far as it being the "future", I highly doubt it, it's much more likely that wireless connectivity will be the only way to fly even in house system connections. Structured wiring has been around for awhile actually, and still not convinced that it's worth the expense.

rrrr
09-18-2005, 08:19 AM
I dunno about wireless handling everything. It doesn't have the bandwidth for HD TV for example.
I have a central location box specifically made for the home. It has punchdown blocks for voice and data, RG6 twinax splitters, my DSL modem and router, and a UPS/TVSS unit. We ran CAT5E throughout the house when we remodeled it a few years back. There are V/D jacks in every room.
Verizon is running fiber throughout our city for residential connection. I have a handhole at the end of my driveway. When they light it up I'll bring the fiber in the house and really have the bandwidth to do anything.

PHX ATC
09-18-2005, 08:38 AM
We have it in our house, yet never have used it. The alarm, tv, cable tv, sat tv, phone, LAN and all that crap is in it, yet I use the regular cable outlets, wireless internet, and have one land line for my fax machine.
I don't think it would be worth over $1000 IMHO. I don't use it, yet it's there if I ever decide to.
I'm sure Mrs. S could spend that money on blinged out granite or travertine tile on the patio, now couldn't she? :D

Kilrtoy
09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
First off HOW much are you talking $500 bucks or $5000. SAVE YOUR MONEY on something that is more functional and feasable for your living needs

bordsmnj
09-18-2005, 09:06 AM
if that means that they're gonna put out lets in each room for all that stuff instead of having different cables strewn all over the place i like the idea. BUT technology changes fast ,all the time. ask if they do it with staples or 3/4" flex able conduit. if conduit you can change to different wire to each location from the "hub". asking for conduit would be extravagant(sp?) for residential but what the hell.

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 09:18 AM
We have it in our house, yet never have used it. The alarm, tv, cable tv, sat tv, phone, LAN and all that crap is in it, yet I use the regular cable outlets, wireless internet, and have one land line for my fax machine.
I don't think it would be worth over $1000 IMHO. I don't use it, yet it's there if I ever decide to.
I'm sure Mrs. S could spend that money on blinged out granite or travertine tile on the patio, now couldn't she? :D
We are getting silstone for out counter tops and cool deck every where there is cement in our back yard.
The box is $1140 then it's runs up from there. With the Alarm, extra smoke dectors, all the finished outlets (HDTV & TIVO IN 3 ROOMS), etc, I am looking at $3500.
Bordsmnj, that is too high tech for me, but I'll ask. :D
KH, I want a tv in almost every room, including the work out room, patio & garage. Especially since we'll have a lot of at home time after this is all done. :jawdrop:
Magic34, we are moving to Southwest Phoenix. The closet spot we could find that is still building with decent size lots. :D We'll be 30 minutes closer to LA & the river. :D

Kilrtoy
09-18-2005, 09:28 AM
We are getting silstone for out counter tops and cool deck every where there is cement in our back yard.
The box is $1140 then it's runs up from there. With the Alarm, extra smoke dectors, all the finished outlets (HDTV & TIVO IN 3 ROOMS), etc, I am looking at $3500.
Bordsmnj, that is too high tech for me, but I'll ask. :D
KH, I want a tv in almost every room, including the work out room, patio & garage. Especially since we'll have a lot of at home time after this is all done. :jawdrop:
Magic34, we are moving to Southwest Phoenix. The closet spot we could find that is still building with decent size lots. :D We'll be 30 minutes closer to LA & the river. :D
Save your cash, they can pre wire the house with al the wires for cable during the build....

rrrr
09-18-2005, 09:34 AM
BUT technology changes fast ,all the time. ask if they do it with staples or 3/4" flex able conduit. if conduit you can change to different wire to each location from the "hub". asking for conduit would be extravagant(sp?) for residential but what the hell.
Good idea. Since we have an attic, it was easy to drop a 3/4" EMT down to a quad box in each room. If we need to change something later it will be easy.
BTW, we installed data drops behind the refrigerator, washer and dryer, and the oven. You can already buy a fridge with IP connectivity. I figured one day the appliances will all have ethernet connx and can be commanded via IP.
I have seen articles about refrigerators with laser barcode scanners. Everything that goes out but doesn't return goes on a grocery list.
Need one of those Jetson kitchens with the little pill meals..... :hammer2: :hammer2:

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Save your cash, they can pre wire the house with al the wires for cable during the build....
What do you know, you just got a cd burner this year. :D :D :D
I would also have to pay some one to finish off the pre wire, so what good is having the house pre wired? :)

Kilrtoy
09-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I would also have to pay some one to finish off the pre wire, so what good is having the house pre wired? :)
And I still dont need a burner. Hell I still have a pager, what the hell is a cell phone..
Do what you think is right! Just like the boat, enjoy..... :D

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Good idea. Since we have an attic, it was easy to drop a 3/4" EMT down to a quad box in each room. If we need to change something later it will be easy.
BTW, we installed data drops behind the refrigerator, washer and dryer, and the oven. You can already buy a fridge with IP connectivity. I figured one day the appliances will all have ethernet connx and can be commanded via IP.
I have seen articles about refrigerators with laser barcode scanners. Everything that goes out but doesn't return goes on a grocery list.
Need one of those Jetson kitchens with the little pill meals..... :hammer2: :hammer2:
Don't they alread have that stuff for kitchens? I was watching this home show that the stove was a fridge/stove and it would start cooking when you wanted it too. If you were running late all you had to do was get on line and make the adjustments.

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 09:59 AM
And I still dont need a burner. Hell I still have a pager, what the hell is a cell phone..
Do what you think is right! Just like the boat, enjoy..... :D
Yes you do!!! :wink:
I have work pager too. I hate carying that thing around it makes me feel outdated. :cry:
What I am finding out getting a house made is almost like a boat, the options are endless. :cool:
What are you doing up so early?

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah at least I didnt spend the $2k on the intercom system or the $2k on the in the wall vacum system. I think I can yell for free and carry around a $200 vacuum from room to room. :hammer2: :D

Phat Matt
09-18-2005, 10:11 AM
My clothes make me feel outdated. :cry:
I wish I had a cool pager. :D
Buy some new clothes and go see JJ the king of beepers. :D

FHI-prez
09-18-2005, 12:12 PM
When they just pre-wire a house they run the wire to the desired locations, preferably through conduit, then terminate the wires in boxes with a blank cover on to finish. The wires all go back to a central location where the main box will be. By doing the "trim out" means purchasing and installing the main panel, and corresponding connectors for each type of system.

PHX ATC
09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Sir Scuba - I wouldn't spend the money on it. I remember 8 years ago when we bought our last house that they sold the stuff that made it a "smart house" and it was over $8K! Ridiculous and they (UDC Homes) didn't sell a single one of them in the subdivision.
Think about the rage to hook up LAN from room to room to have 2 or more computers hooked up to each other. Then along came wireless and that's the rage. Much better too, I might add. For me, anyway.
In all reality, how often would you be Tivo-ing something in bedroom #2, Tivo-ing something in the family room and walk outside to grill something up on the bbq, yet you want to flip around the programming on the Tivo machines from there? Ridiculous. Walk your in shape ass inside and snuggle up to the Tivo machine and fiddle fart with the machine. :D
Definitely run all the wires for cable/sat/Tivo/telephone to all the rooms you think you will need them. The hub concept is overblown IMO.
Another thing to think about, it's just me, if you are putting flat screens in your rooms, spare bedrooms, kid's room, master bedroom and such (don't forget patio), put the outlets up high where you can attach the flat TV to the wall. That has worked out pretty cool in our spare bedroom. It happens to sit above the treadmill (which my wife has yet to take a spin on), so those that use it (read, me) can watch Britney Spears grind it out on MTV while running into nowhere. :D
I like Silstone (or however you spell it)...it looks clean and new age. Kool decking is awesome for outside. Just make sure it's acrylic stuff, not the old style kool decking which they splatter on the wet cement.

SCUBA STEVE
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Sir Scuba - I wouldn't spend the money on it. I remember 8 years ago when we bought our last house that they sold the stuff that made it a "smart house" and it was over $8K! Ridiculous and they (UDC Homes) didn't sell a single one of them in the subdivision.
Think about the rage to hook up LAN from room to room to have 2 or more computers hooked up to each other. Then along came wireless and that's the rage. Much better too, I might add. For me, anyway.
In all reality, how often would you be Tivo-ing something in bedroom #2, Tivo-ing something in the family room and walk outside to grill something up on the bbq, yet you want to flip around the programming on the Tivo machines from there? Ridiculous. Walk your in shape ass inside and snuggle up to the Tivo machine and fiddle fart with the machine. :D
Definitely run all the wires for cable/sat/Tivo/telephone to all the rooms you think you will need them. The hub concept is overblown IMO.
Another thing to think about, it's just me, if you are putting flat screens in your rooms, spare bedrooms, kid's room, master bedroom and such (don't forget patio), put the outlets up high where you can attach the flat TV to the wall. That has worked out pretty cool in our spare bedroom. It happens to sit above the treadmill (which my wife has yet to take a spin on), so those that use it (read, me) can watch Britney Spears grind it out on MTV while running into nowhere. :D
I like Silstone (or however you spell it)...it looks clean and new age. Kool decking is awesome for outside. Just make sure it's acrylic stuff, not the old style kool decking which they splatter on the wet cement.
I hear you, I am going to call the guy and see what other options we have. The speaker guy (doing the in ceiling stuff) said it was a good thing to have?
As far as tivo goes I do not tivo a lot of stuff, but like the rewind option if needed. Right now I have tivo in the family room only but wish I had it in the bedroom as well. The Mrs and I do not always agree on the same programing. lol We are doing 7' high outlets where we'll be hanging any tv's.
On the pool they are using the acrylic. :wink:
lmao about the treadmill. :2purples: I hope ours will get some use when we get one. :)
Thanks for the input everyone. :cool:

ROZ
09-19-2005, 12:11 AM
There is a bundle wire that has rg59, rg6, cat5, and phone line in one. I'd bundle 2 16/4 speaker wires with is and run it from home run to every location your run a tv, computer, or phone.. I'd also run it homerun to every location you'd consider putting a volume or audio control panel and then run it to speaker locations. I'd also run homerun to anywhere you'd plan to put speakers.. That should cover almost all your bases...
Also, they should run rg59 along with rg6...There noticeable difference when running analong or low level audio signals
:)

MagicMtnDan
09-19-2005, 05:43 AM
You should definitely do it! What I mean is you should definitely wire up your house if you're a satellite TV viewer and TiVo user - especially if you have HD TV or plan on getting one soon.
You should have other options though. Find out if you can wire the house yourself (DIY or get someone else to do it for less $). If you have to, pay the builder some $ to get them to allow you to do it.
I wired my entire house AFTER it was built (wasn't here when they were building it). It was a tough job and I cut a lot of holes in my walls (and patched them). But it was well worth it. I have satellite TV, wired network and phones in every room (some have multiple locations). Each room has two RG6 cables so I can have HD everywhere (and you'll want two cables at any TiVo so you can use both tuners in the satellite TiVo box).
I used Belden's Banana Peel Composite Cable ("structured wiring") - it has 2 RG6, 2 Cat5e and 2 fiber cables – banana peel style with their Duobond Plus Cat5e. I got a deal on the cable by shopping online and telling the companies my company was buying it (they don't really care and you can get 500' or 1000' of cable at close to wholesale pricing that way).
http://boostercorp.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/1092-200x200.jpg
I ran structured wiring from the satellite dish to the OnQ panel I installed in the center hall closet. And structured wiring runs go out to each room (some have multiple locations (wall plates). I used 6-port wall plates so each room has 2 RG6 connections, 2 Cat5e connections, 1 phone connection and one blank (for future use - could be fiber since the structured wire I used has fiber in which is run to each room).
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/images_products/onq_364304_6_port_anyport_s4569.jpg
The incoming cables (from the sat dish) go to a Spaun Multi-switch that I installed in the panel. It looks like this:
http://www.austrosat.at/images/products/Spaun-Sms-9801-NF.jpg
This splits the sat signal up and allows it to be distributed throughout the house to the rooms.
Go with something like this and you'll be very happy especially if you plan on watching HiDef TV via satellite (DirecTV recently launched two more satellites - there will be many more HiDef channels to watch and they'll be offering HiDef TV on demand).

SCUBA STEVE
09-19-2005, 08:05 AM
MMD, thanks for the clarity. :cool: