PDA

View Full Version : Sirius - ground plane

Ultrafied
09-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I understand that Sirus requires a ground plane for their antenna. Not a problem when used with a car, but how do you guys mount Sirius in your boats. I see that Shakespeare has a Sirius antenna with a ground foil for it. Anybody use this? If not, what do you use on the boat?

Outnumbered
09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I understand that Sirus requires a ground plane for their antenna. Not a problem when used with a car, but how do you guys mount Sirius in your boats. I see that Shakespeare has a Sirius antenna with a ground foil for it. Anybody use this? If not, what do you use on the boat?
Here is how I did my XM on the 24 Stealth. I used hi grade 3M double-sided tape and coiled the cord behind the upholstered panel. Drilled a hole inside the glove box to run the cord.
They recommend the ground plane but I get great reception without it. I had some early sound issues that turned out to be output level related. Its all good now and I love it.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973ant.JPG

Ultrafied
09-22-2005, 05:16 AM
Looks pretty good there. As I understand it, XM doesn't need a ground plane though, it can even be mounted on glass.

Sleek-Jet
09-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Depending on how permenant you are going to make the installation, and if a ground plane in necessary, you can alway attatch a small piece of flat sheet metal to the back side of the hull where you mount the antenna. A little double sided tape (or better yet, epoxy it on there) and put it between the headliner and the hull, no one will ever know the difference. :D
The base of most antenna's is usually some sort of metal, I would imagine that would be enough ground plane for it to work. I would try it first without doing anything and see how it goes.

K9Blitz
09-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I had sirius on my truck for about 4 months. After constant antenna issues, I went with XM which I already had on my other vehicle. I chose XM for the boat specifically because of Sirius antenna issues. XM has been flawless.
I just wish XM had NFL.

Procraftkev
09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
My radio is mounted in the dash and I put it on the the radio behind the dash works good! :cool:

Outnumbered
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't think that would work on the Stealth because the radio (head unit) is below the glove box in a little pod that is 1) too tight to fit an antenna into and 2) too low below the dash to get a good signal.