PDA

View Full Version : Who says Bayliners suck?

ECeptor
09-24-2005, 05:42 AM
They sure worked out good for John Edson (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/54/ZRSM.html) .
Interesting story. Started in his garage in 1955, sold to Brunswick in '86 for $1/2 billion, now worth $1 billion.
Anyway...here's the rest of the Forbes top 400 (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/54/Rank_1.html) .

BBTAHITI
09-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Still suck. Wienie boats are best left back east. They don't care what it looks like as long as it floats. (half serious :D )

Trigger
09-24-2005, 06:18 AM
Still suck. Wienie boats are best left back east. They don't care what it looks like as long as it floats. (half serious :D )
If I am reading your post right, I would becareful of what you say about East Coast boats. They can give those "west" coast boats plenty of nightmares. People bag on Bayliners, but they get alot of people into boating. Inexpensive for the first time buyers and those without alot of cash to spend. Then they enjoy the sport and sell and bump up to a nicer boat. They have helped the boating industry alot.

superdave013
09-24-2005, 06:42 AM
I donno man, I'm thinkin this one will sell for just a tad more then 10 Tahiti's like yours. lol
POS Bayliner (http://www.marinesource.com/buyerslistings/detail.cfm?ListingNmb=10530002)

rrrr
09-24-2005, 06:46 AM
I donno man, I'm thinkin this one will sell for just a tad more then 10 Tahiti's like yours. lol
POS Bayliner (http://www.marinesource.com/buyerslistings/detail.cfm?ListingNmb=10530002)
Wow, "Let's go get the Bayliner outta storage and go boating."
Prolly costs $10K just to get it in the water. :jawdrop:

BBTAHITI
09-24-2005, 07:09 AM
It's not about what it COST, but what it IS. At the end of the day, they're still in a friggin' Bayliner........

superdave013
09-24-2005, 07:28 AM
It's not about what it COST, but what it IS. At the end of the day, they're still in a friggin' Bayliner........
Well now that you bring that up I bet they are built better then your boat too. Not knocking Tahiti's as I used to own one. But Bayliner might not have the style that we all like but I think for what they are and the price point that the lower end one are at they are one of the best deals out there to get on the lake.
Check it out as I think it's kinda impressive.
"CONSTRUCTION DETAILS which should be of interest to you;
Bayliner uses the latest, most sophisticated computer-aided design technology in the design and construction of their vessels. Primary tooling, from which they create fiberglass molds takes shape through a computer-controlled five-axis milling process that's so precise it works within tolerances of 25 one-thousandths of an inch. That level of accuracy ensures uncommoly fair running surfaces and perfect fit of fiberglass parts. Bayliner was a leader in computer-aided design and manufacturing.
Isophthalic-based gelcoats for rich , lustrous, long-lasting finishes, A Vinylester barried is applied to every Bayliner motoryacht hull, which provides unsurpassed resistance to osmotic blistering. Each hull embodies a comlex schedule of coring and reinforcement for exceptionally high strength and low weight.
FACT IS FEW OTHER BUILDERS HAVE THE RESOURCES TO DRIVE THE LEVEL OF TECHNOLGY THAT BAYLINER HAS
Railings are of 316 stainless steel, Fuel Tanks are aluminum, Panduit chases conceal and protect electrical wiring, Top quality bronze is used in hull fittings, sea-cocks and rudder posts and struts, Cabinetry and the woodwork is hand-crafted in Bayliners own wood shops and all doors and hardware is reinforced. ALL wiring harnesses, breaker panels and instrument clusters are produced "in house" for absolute quality control and adhereance to design specs. All terminals are labeled, and wiring color coded. Double stainless steel hose clamps are used througout.
Machinery and fittings are the best; Cummins, Westerbeke, Perko (lifetime guaranteed deck fittings) Racor filters, Sunbrella Fabrics, Whirlpool appliances, Raytheon electronics are all combined in the construction of a Bayliner Motoryacht."

BBTAHITI
09-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Well now that you bring that up I bet they are built better then your boat too. Not knocking Tahiti's as I used to own one. But Bayliner might not have the style that we all like but I think for what they are and the price point that the lower end one are at they are one of the best deals out there to get on the lake.
Bayliner uses the latest, most sophisticated computer-aided design technology in the design and construction of their vessels. Primary tooling, from which they create fiberglass molds takes shape through a computer-controlled five-axis milling process that's so precise it works within tolerances of 25 one-thousandths of an inch. That level of accuracy ensures uncommoly fair running surfaces and perfect fit of fiberglass parts. Bayliner was a leader in computer-aided design and manufacturing.
Isophthalic-based gelcoats for rich , lustrous, long-lasting finishes, A Vinylester barried is applied to every Bayliner motoryacht hull, which provides unsurpassed resistance to osmotic blistering. Each hull embodies a comlex schedule of coring and reinforcement for exceptionally high strength and low weight.
FACT IS FEW OTHER BUILDERS HAVE THE RESOURCES TO DRIVE THE LEVEL OF TECHNOLGY THAT BAYLINER HAS
Railings are of 316 stainless steel, Fuel Tanks are aluminum, Panduit chases conceal and protect electrical wiring, Top quality bronze is used in hull fittings, sea-cocks and rudder posts and struts, Cabinetry and the woodwork is hand-crafted in Bayliners own wood shops and all doors and hardware is reinforced. ALL wiring harnesses, breaker panels and instrument clusters are produced "in house" for absolute quality control and adhereance to design specs. All terminals are labeled, and wiring color coded. Double stainless steel hose clamps are used througout.
Machinery and fittings are the best; Cummins, Westerbeke, Perko (lifetime guaranteed deck fittings) Racor filters, Sunbrella Fabrics, Whirlpool appliances, Raytheon electronics are all combined in the construction of a Bayliner Motoryacht."
Impressive, but, as I said, it's still a Bayliner. When I see one in your driveway, I may change my mind (after I get done busting a gut laughing so hard). Better yet, sell your flat to buy one. At least you'll get more seat time with IT than with the flat.
J/K Dave...... if you can't laugh at a Bayliner, what CAN you laugh at? :rollside:

rrrr
09-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Family I know hangs out at the lake with us, they have a '04 17 foot Bliner. It cost $9,500 new, with trailer.
They have fun, no one disses their boat. It's a good thing that peeps can join the boating sport for a hundee per month. They are already planning to upgrade.
We all gotta start somewhere. ;)

ECeptor
09-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Wow, despite the title of the thread I didn' mean for it to turn into a true debate.
I was just amazed how the founder had build up a $1 billion net worth from his business! I suppose that would make him the most profitable personal boat builder ever, no?

Rev. Williams
09-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm guessing this (the note below) came from the Bayliner website??? We'll their proofing is just as good as there boat building...Good, but not 100% accurate.

Trigger
09-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Family I know hangs out at the lake with us, they have a '04 17 foot Bliner. It cost $9,500 new, with trailer.
They have fun, no one disses their boat. It's a good thing that peeps can join the boating sport for a hundee per month. They are already planning to upgrade.
We all gotta start somewhere. ;)
Exactly. They are the future big spenders down the road. They are just trying to get involved in the sport first without a big outlay of cash. As long as they are respectful with the boat and other people on the water I say power to them.

Trigger
09-24-2005, 08:57 AM
if you can't laugh at a Bayliner, what CAN you laugh at? :rollside:
A Tahiti.

Jbb
09-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Im not too sure about the boats ...back East .....I see some pretty nice ones here....and the get used....not just talked about ....
Bayliners have brought alot of people into the world of boating inexpensively and reliably.....thats why they sell so many of them. Bagging on them,or the people who own them is immature ....and stupid...but if it makes you feel better....have at it.... :p

atomickitn
09-24-2005, 09:18 AM
it's funny how we all bag on bayliner's well at least the small ones....did you know that bayliner was one of the first to build what we all have come to know as the cruise ships , that we all drink are azzz's off on a cruiz, the only reason we have the lil one's is when bayliner owners, wanted to go to shore they had no way of getting there from there ships,, sooo they built a runabout, as we all know it today....... i still think p.o.s!! :D

BBTAHITI
09-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Bayliners have brought alot of people into the world of boating inexpensively and reliably.....thats why they sell so many of them.
You can substitute "PWC" for Bayliner in your statement, too.
Lighten up people, it's Friday, and in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. Just havin' a little fun with ya'll.

ROZ
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Yea, we can't all be like Wet Willie and buy a F29 w/ 1200hp right off the bat :D
But if ya do, you'll go right into post w hore status :D:D:D

Trigger
09-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Im not too sure about the boats ...back East .....I see some pretty nice ones here....and the get used....not just talked about ....
Bayliners have brought alot of people into the world of boating inexpensively and reliably.....thats why they sell so many of them. Bagging on them,or the people who own them is immature ....and stupid...but if it makes you feel better....have at it.... :p
Your right, we do use them out here on the East coast! ;) :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051Race2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2051Race7.jpg

Jordy
09-24-2005, 10:27 AM
East Coast boats suck. :D
So do outboards. ;)

rrrr
09-24-2005, 10:34 AM
So do outboards. ;)
And don't get SYA started about East Coast women. :rollside: :D :D

Trigger
09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
And don't get SYA started about East Coast women. :rollside: :D :D
Yes, don't do that! He has already had a tough couple of weeks already! If he sees how hot the East coast ladies are that could drive him to drink!! :eek: :) (or move out east)

Trigger
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
;)
Jealousy is a terrible thing Jordy! :cool: :)

superdave013
09-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Trigger, what kind of jackets are those. Pretty think looking deals. They are not the ones that inflate when ya hit the water are they?

Trigger
09-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Trigger, what kind of jackets are those. Pretty think looking deals. They are not the ones that inflate when ya hit the water are they?
No they are not, but those inflatables are great. Mine is fitted and straps on well. The name is escaping me right now, but they are comforatable (as far as life jackets go).

Jordy
09-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Jealousy is a terrible thing Jordy! :cool: :)
I'll remember that when I'm crusing around in my Spectre. ;) :D

superdave013
09-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't want to get kicked out of a boat with one of those blow up jackets that's for sure. lol Might be ok if the boat just sank.
I have the old skool Lifeline. Big, bulky but won't come off. Their newer poker run styles look pretty nice. SRP is making something like that too I guess.

Trigger
09-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I'll remember that when I'm crusing around in my Spectre. ;) :D
I thought you had a boat?! :wink: :)
At least something of you is from the right coast!! :wink: :)

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Why would we make fun of Bayliner owners when there are perfectly good jet boaters to ridicule?

Trigger
09-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't want to get kicked out of a boat with one of those blow up jackets that's for sure. lol Might be ok if the boat just sank.
I have the old skool Lifeline. Big, bulky but won't come off. Their newer poker run styles look pretty nice. SRP is making something like that too I guess.
Yeah, something about relying on those self inflators to actually work once you go into the water. I Like knowing that I float prior to ejection!! :)

Jordy
09-24-2005, 11:10 AM
At least something of you is from the right coast!! :wink: :)
Yeah, I got the boat thing going for me. I love the East Coast, but you guys have too many of those season things out there. I like my trees with thorns and small leaves on them year round. ;)

rrrr
09-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Why would we make fun of Bayliner owners when there are perfectly good jet boaters to ridicule?
:D Excellent point.

Trigger
09-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I got the boat thing going for me. I love the East Coast, but you guys have too many of those season things out there. I like my trees with thorns and small leaves on them year round. ;)
I see, when nature calls (at an inopportune time) and you have to take a sh!t, you like to have to lean against a tree with thorns sticking you in the a$$ and having to wipe with the leaves that only cover your finger tips. Sounds good to me!! Where do I sign up!!! ;) :D
Actually the change of seasons also let me do my other hobby (snowmobiling).

Jordy
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Actually, I try and plan ahead for that kind of stuff and usually have some kind of paper product handy. ;)
Snowmobiling looks like fun other than the snow part. I hate being cold. I do like ice in it's natural environment though, that being in a freezer or ice chest or in my cocktail. :D

FreshTracks
09-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Growing up, my uncle had a Bayliner. We had a lot of GREAT times on that boat, taught many family members how to waterski and wakeboard behind it. NEVER had any breakdowns or problems (which is more than a few of you $100k boat owners can say) :) He has since upgraded several times, but like many have said, you gotta start somewhere. Do you want a "rookie" driving next to you with a 200 hp Bayliner or a 500 hp + cat?
As long as your a bro, I don't give a f#%k what you drive.

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
As long as your a bro, I don't give a f#%k what you drive.
I'm cool with that, Jack... but don't you think it's a little racist?

Trigger
09-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm cool with that, Jack... but don't you think it's a little racist?
Would you have preferred he say "As long as your a Homo...", but then that would have offended you.

superdave013
09-24-2005, 12:23 PM
snow - sand
east - west
Jordy, I know for a fact that if you got on a nasty sled you would have a blast.
And I'm sure Trigger would enjoy a cool day in the sand.
man there was some bad ass stuff at the ssss!
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6185-1127018809.jpg

Jbb
09-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Exactly Brown.... :rollside:

Kilrtoy
09-24-2005, 12:45 PM
So do outboards. ;)
Does this mean your buying a DCB

Jordy
09-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Does this mean your buying a DCB
Nah, I'll stick with a real cat from the East Coast, not one of those training wheel cats from Dave & Charley's Boats. ;) :D

Jbb
09-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Nah, I'll stick with a real cat from the East Coast, not one of those training wheel cats from Dave & Charley's Boats. ;) :D
:D :D :D :D

cdog
09-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Stupid. Why bother.

Kiddunot
09-24-2005, 01:17 PM
all i can say is that my very first boat is a 2004 Chaparrel 24ft boat. Yeah it is a day cruiser however it does have a v8, i do have a system in it and it can fit 12 people in it as well. Also what boat do you know of that has 5 built in ice chest? All my friends have the really expensive power boats, but it never fails they are in the shop more than I am. I am not bagging on performance boats because i will soon have one but for now i am happy with our boat and it gets me off of the pwc and into a boat.

Daytona19
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
PLEASE read my "quote" below, it tells the story.

2Driver
09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
While not a Bayliner, I have one of those Family runabouts too. I does not bother my ego or pride..really, it doesn't, I swear, really, I mean it, I'm pretty sure, seriously :)

cdog
09-24-2005, 01:45 PM
While not a Bayliner, I have one of those Family runabouts too. I does not bother my ego or pride..really, it doesn't, I swear, really, I mean it, I'm pretty sure, seriously :)
Your welcome to park by me anytime. I'm looking forward to moving out there and boating on the local Phoenix lakes. I'm tired of the havasu fashion show.

2Driver
09-24-2005, 01:50 PM
looking forward to it.

Rod-64
09-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Who cares what kind of boat anyone has???? We all end up at the same sandbar, cove or channel drinking beers anyway. :D :D
Some just get there a little faster. :D

Danhercules
09-24-2005, 01:53 PM
If I am reading your post right, I would becareful of what you say about East Coast boats. They can give those "west" coast boats plenty of nightmares. People bag on Bayliners, but they get alot of people into boating. Inexpensive for the first time buyers and those without alot of cash to spend. Then they enjoy the sport and sell and bump up to a nicer boat. They have helped the boating industry alot.
I call em the VW Bug of boats. Cheep and get the job done.

Jordy
09-24-2005, 01:54 PM
looking forward to it.
Yeah, just don't park by me though. :D :D :D
When are you moving out here CDog???
We had a guy with a 19' Bayliner tied up with us last weekend. He was buddies with another guy we were floating with. Really cool guy. He made a comment about not having a cool boat, but did make the point that it runs everytime and he has only had to put gas in it one time this summer. I say who cares as long as it runs and gets you out there. I've seen people in big boats that were just beat to death that I wouldn't tie up with and I've seen guys with Bayliners and the like, that look as good as they did (or can :) ) as the day they came off the line. I'd rather tie up with that person as I know he's cares about what he owns. ;)

Jordy
09-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Us too. We like people, not boats.
You can't park by me though. I don't like Warlocks. :D

cdog
09-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks guy's. It saddens me to see people bagging on other peoples rigs. It just goes to show how boating has changed. I've been going to havasu for 20 years and have watched it change for the worse since dumb ass's have had equity in their homes to pull out and buy a big boat that they don't know how to drive. Some of my best memory's as a kid were in my uncles 1000 HP Schiada river cruiser and my grandfathers 35 mph bayliner. It's suppost to be about good times, family and friends. Not a cool guy fashion show. My first trip out this year over easter I hit sand going to the sand bar. Got stuck in my 130k "performance boat". I had my wife and dog with me and a couple of guy's in a bayliner came buy and helped me out and gave me a tow untill I flushed out the mud from the cooling system. Those were some real boaters, "in a bayliner". Thanks guy's.

cdog
09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
When are you moving out here CDog???
)
It's looking like Jan- Feb. I sold our house and we're renting back till then. I'll be in Phoenix for a week or so for my brokers course sometime within the next month or two. We'll have to get together for a couple of beers.

cdog
09-24-2005, 02:17 PM
You've got a $130K performance boat and you're talking about a "cool guy fashion show?" That's rich. :D J/K, but you've got to admit, it's funny. :D
I was being a smart ass. But ya it's funny or stuid of me or mabey both. I spent all that money on all the go fast goodies and my wife shit's if I go over 60mph. :rollside: I did not spend that much but that's what they said it's worth when it was new with the power and options I have. I spoiled myself on that one.

totenhosen
09-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Some of you guys have some serious image problems. Seems like you are more worried about what others think about you if you don't have the latest and greatest of everything.

Jordy
09-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Some of you guys have some serious image problems. Seems like you are more worried about what others think about you if you don't have the latest and greatest of everything.
And you say that like it's a bad thing. :D :D :D

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Sounds like our wives are sisters. :D
:idea:
I've had several women out in my boat. It does well over 60 mph. Every one of them seem to love it at higher speeds, including into the 70s and 80s.
My boat is real small too (at 16') so it seems a lot faster at those speeds than the ocean freighters you Havasu guys run.

totenhosen
09-24-2005, 03:32 PM
And you say that like it's a bad thing. :D :D :D
Good one...but not when it's being all paid for by credit.

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Good one...but not when it's being all paid for by credit.
Everyone makes choices. I used to look down on some choices too but these days, I'm not nearly so sure that I'm right.
I know some people who have exactly as much debt as creditors will allow and they are perfectly happy.
I, on the other hand, am running a 1977 Glastron. ... 16'. I like to think I'm living within my means. :D

Ultrafied
09-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I've got laugh ... people bagging on someones boat. It must be a lot of ego or lack of self-confidence. Don't get me wrong, I believe that you should be proud of your boat, but as long as everybody gets wet, big deal on the make.
Telling someone they can dock next to you "when they get a real boat", OMG, I'd have had cow ... laughed my a$$ off as I got the heck out of there.

2Driver
09-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, just don't park by me though. :D :D :D;)
One more crack about my Chaparral like that and it's going in the trader. Don't push me I'll do it :D :D

craiginlaverne
09-24-2005, 06:52 PM
not baggin on bayliners over here. they buy lots of trailers form us. always the bigger boats. never the little ones. they are a good customer. :D

sea2lake
09-24-2005, 08:16 PM
this is from behind my Bayliner,
Still havin fun on the water like every one else
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2517robski1.jpg

sea2lake
09-24-2005, 08:19 PM
this too. in mammoth.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2517DSC00725.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, shit they suck and if you own one, suck it up and suck it up somemore GayLiner..........( . )( . ).............lover! :eek:

Trigger
09-27-2005, 05:39 AM
snow - sand
east - west
Jordy, I know for a fact that if you got on a nasty sled you would have a blast.
And I'm sure Trigger would enjoy a cool day in the sand.
man there was some bad ass stuff at the ssss!
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6185-1127018809.jpg
Oh, I know I would love to run those in the sand! I have done alot of Dune riding out here. I used to race motocross and also had 3 and 4 wheelers for years. Lots of fun. Never ran the buggies like your picture, but ran some hot Pilots around for a while. The lake I live on in the fall drops a ton and the sand and mud that is exposed is our fall riding ritual! I enjoy all the sports not just boating. Sport bikes!! That is even another hobby. Stopped riding a couple years ago, but I am thinking about starting up again. I don't know how I survived to 35!! :confused: :D