PDA

View Full Version : What Site Do you blame

Her454
09-24-2005, 07:37 AM
for your online addiction and when did you get hooked? Can any of you relate?
Mine was ***boat. Lurking of course, at first. And then finally the nerve for that first post. It was harder then, less people. Fewer females and less acceptance. Slowly at first..... then as I got sucked in and started to know and appreciate some of the members candor and humor, admittedly I started to wonder what was going on with the boards when I wasn't around. I started to check in on threads every free chance I had. I would be driving in my car thinking about Tom Brown's fiber intake and laugh. Or wondering who or what law RD was challenging and couldn't wait to get home and read the debate. Betting to myself on who the Tribal Drums would strike next and secretly picking who I wanted it to be. Topless of course. Then it progessed to taking pictures for the sole purpose of being the "first to post" them for everyones viewing pleasure after a ***boat gathering. I even became so sick and twisted as to "pose people" for a shot that would make a funny post. I found myself checking my "post count" daily to see if I was still in the top 5. It gets worse. My computer died one night during one of those hot debates of Froggy and RD's and I couldn't sleep. I called my neighbor and asked if I could log on to check an urgent issue at work. So in my pajamas, at my neighbors, Im reading the latest on ***boat in the wee hours of the morning, while trying to minimize my screen so no one can see it. If only I had known then. Then, after my canine accident that left me on disability for almost 3 months and boosted my post count by thousands I can honestly say I was addicted to ***boat and even a few others by then. I was a gone'r and didnt even realize it yet. My ***boat friends had become my family, my life. My world revolved around it. Work suffered, I didnt cook, my house looked like a slum and my animals were lucky to get fed twice a week.
Then RRL came along. Yet another website to surf and occupy my time. One more won't hurt, right? I can't NOT join. I might miss something that isn't happening on all the others I now frequent, several times daily. And besides, there are different people there, new blood. Yea, thats it.
A year later I sent myself to ***boat rehab. Im a pretty strong person so I wasn't worried. Should be a breeze. Problem was, I had met so many of these people from ***boat and a few other sites that I had been socializing with on a pretty regular basis so it was like trying to quit drinking, while your in a bar. Of course they were concerned about me so they felt the need to call me and let me know all the latest stuff that was going on, so I wouldn't be tempted to go online. Did I mention yet that I have great friends? Anyway, I sort of fell off the ***boat wagon, but not for long. Now a member of 47 boating sites and 3 Rehab attempts later I finally did it.
My job of 20 years was very understanding. As they fired me they wished me well in my continued rehab and said they would give me a positive reference. They no longer have the internet for their employees and they are far more productive, thanks to me.
I am a success story. I can quit anytime I want. Just to prove it, I will post pics later.

76ANTHONY
09-24-2005, 07:40 AM
none, i blame no site, i still sleep at night so thats 8 hours im not on here, so im not addicted. proven fact only 66% of my time is on here, nope no addiction at all..... :D :rolleyes: :coffeycup

riverracerx
09-24-2005, 07:42 AM
I blame www.riverracerx.com :wink:

Miss Perfect
09-24-2005, 07:44 AM
I blame ***boat. I've been around here for a long time, even though my start up date is new. I didn't start really getting into posting until a few months ago. I'm not sure how it happened, but now I can't stop. :rollside:

NOTALENT
09-24-2005, 07:45 AM
hot boat, myspace, and bodybuilding.com
They sucked me in and havent left...im a postaholic...and I need help... :crossx:

redneckgirl
09-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey Chris when will the forum be back up :rolleyes:
Oh ya I blame RRX & HB :D
RNG

Mrs.Racer277
09-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Hot Boat! :)
But I don't think I am addicted. :rolleyes: :wink:

Keithb87
09-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Hot Boat started it for me. When I first signed up it was just for answers to tech questions in reguards to Jet Boats. Then I "ACCIDENTLY" clicked on the Sandbar and started reading. Mrs Fly'n Vee and Hoss then Hislittleho and a few others sucked me into the Sandbar drama thing.
Then Havasu Barneys then RRL then Insideline. (and a few more) I do go through dry spells now and then, but I'm addicted. :coffeycup
I find myself checking Hot Boat for Current news rather than looking at MSN or AOL. :notam:
But I can quit anytime. :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Hot Boat! :)
But I don't think I am addicted. :rolleyes: :wink:
OK sweetie. Whatever you say. :hammerhea :wink:

FMluvswater
09-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I got into message boarding at a soap opera fan site. I was an active poster there; 5000 posts or so in two years. :D Here is just different. The name of a board doesn't make it go; it's the people who frequent it that do that. Best bunch of people I've ever encountered happen to frequent this board and it makes me want to keep coming back and it makes me care about people I've never even met and the events that affect their lives. If that is an addiction then guilty as charged. :smile:

Her454
09-24-2005, 07:51 AM
I got into message boarding at a soap opera fan site. I was an active poster there; 5000 posts or so in two years. :D Here is just different. The name of a board doesn't make it go; it's the people who frequent it that do that. Best bunch of people I've ever encountered happen to frequent this board and it makes me want to keep coming back and it makes me care about people I've never even met and the events that affect their lives. If that is an addiction then guilty as charged. :smile:
FM, love the pic in your avatar! Adorable. :D

Sportin' Wood
09-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Pirate 4x4.com, at first but MMSW and I lurked here for about a year before we started posting.

FMluvswater
09-24-2005, 07:55 AM
FM, love the pic in your avatar! Adorable. :D
:D Thanks. My ex MIL snapped that. My ex e-mailed it to me when I was on vacation. One look and I knew it had to be my new avatar. :smile:

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 07:55 AM
The first site I was addicted to was Scream & Fly. I started following it close to 10 years ago. It was just a big scrolling list of messages, BBS style, with no forums or organization. Mostly, chat happened in subject lines with blank messages.
There came a time when I realized I was addicted to it. I took a break for a while. Someone called me and asked me to come back. That's kind of funny when I think about the hard feelings between myself and a couple of folks at Scream & Fly these days.
These days I'm addicted to ***boat as strongly as I was addicted to Scream & Fly back then. No more.
I used to think I was pretty sharp but finding a resource with people who really are sharp was a revelation. I've definitely learned a lot from reading online, most of it good. Lately, most of what I learn happens off-line.
There are people who hang out on the forums and pretend to be just a regular reader but really hold wealths of information about boating subjects that they don't want to spend a bunch of time sharing. Some of those people are kind enough to share that info in telephone conversations or in person. I guess with them, the relationship builds online but some of them prefer to keep their knowledge off the boating sites. I can respect that.
Online boating has definitely been a huge influence on my life, both positive and negative. Mostly positive.
Of course, the time I spend on ***boat these days has little to do with boating. It's all part of being in the online boating community, though.
Great thread, Traci. :)

Mrs.Racer277
09-24-2005, 07:57 AM
OK sweetie. Whatever you say. :hammerhea :wink:
OK, Maybe just a lil! :cry: :p

76ANTHONY
09-24-2005, 08:05 AM
what site? or who on this site???? hmmmmmmmmmm :devil:

YeLLowBoaT
09-24-2005, 08:20 AM
It was not really a site for me.... I blew out my knee and could not do anything but school(back in HS) and sit so I started "looking" around the web.

barbigrl
09-24-2005, 08:31 AM
bodybuilding.com
They sucked me in and havent left...im a postaholic...and I need help... :crossx:
HAHAHHAA>>>>>.I am sorry honey, I luv ya, but that is funny!!! I dont picture you as a Bodybuilder!!!
RRL got me.
One day many moons ago, I met a guy at the sandbar nicknamed CowboyNord. He said, "Hey why don't you and your buddies come hang out over here!" That is when we met the infamous RD! We were then asked if we had heard of Riverratlife.com....Uh no, what the hell is that? "Well it is a message board" "What the heck is a message board?" "Yeah sure I'll check it out when we get home." A week goes by.....I decided to look it up. Got hooked. Then they kept talking about all the drama on this place called ***boat. So needless to say i followed the trail......and have been sucked into the drama ever since!! :D

BarryMac
09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
RRL got me.
One day many moons ago, I met a guy at the sandbar nicknamed CowboyNord. He said, "Hey why don't you and your buddies come hang out over here!" That is when we met the infamous RD! We were then asked if we had heard of Riverratlife.com....Uh no, what the hell is that? "Well it is a message board" "What the heck is a message board?" "Yeah sure I'll check it out when we get home." A week goes by.....I decided to look it up. Got hooked. Then they kept talking about all the drama on this place called ***boat. So needless to say i followed the trail......and have been sucked into the drama ever since!! :D
Hmmmm, Barbigirl followed the Drama, now that is down right funny stuff right there...

Jbb
09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Her454] So in my pajamas, at my neighbors, Im reading the latest on ***boat in the wee hours of the morning, while trying to minimize my screen so no one can see it.
Would those be.......Flannel Pajamas?............................. :rollside:

Jbb
09-24-2005, 08:35 AM
The first site I was addicted to was Scream & Fly. I started following it close to 10 years ago. It was just a big scrolling list of messages, BBS style, with no forums or organization. Mostly, chat happened in subject lines with blank messages.
There came a time when I realized I was addicted to it. I took a break for a while. Someone called me and asked me to come back. That's kind of funny when I think about the hard feelings between myself and a couple of folks at Scream & Fly these days.
These days I'm addicted to ***boat as strongly as I was addicted to Scream & Fly back then. No more.
I used to think I was pretty sharp but finding a resource with people who really are sharp was a revelation. I've definitely learned a lot from reading online, most of it good. Lately, most of what I learn happens off-line.
There are people who hang out on the forums and pretend to be just a regular reader but really hold wealths of information about boating subjects that they don't want to spend a bunch of time sharing. Some of those people are kind enough to share that info in telephone conversations or in person. I guess with them, the relationship builds online but some of them prefer to keep their knowledge off the boating sites. I can respect that.
Online boating has definitely been a huge influence on my life, both positive and negative. Mostly positive.
Of course, the time I spend on ***boat these days has little to do with boating. It's all part of being in the online boating community, though.
Brown....you sound more and more like a woman ...everyday.....BTW how is the hormone therapy working for you?..... :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Her454] So in my pajamas, at my neighbors, Im reading the latest on ***boat in the wee hours of the morning, while trying to minimize my screen so no one can see it.
Would those be.......Flannel Pajamas?............................. :rollside:
Of course, it was in the winter time. ;)

spectratoad
09-24-2005, 08:37 AM
I think a class action lawsuit is in order!!!!! :eek:

Her454
09-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I think a class action lawsuit is in order!!!!! :eek:
Paperwork in Process. :rollside:

NOTALENT
09-24-2005, 08:44 AM
HAHAHHAA>>>>>.I am sorry honey, I luv ya, but that is funny!!! I dont picture you as a Bodybuilder!!! :D
That's because I was out for 9 and a half months due to tearing my ACL...I have been finally been able to hit it again for about 4 weeks now...after rehabilitation...If you would have seen me last year...Well..I was no joke...it all turned to fat now :frown: and lost the muscle. I was at my peak...now I have to start over. But its building back up quick...I will post pics when I get where I want to be... :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Ok, for the "serious Sadies" out there that have PM'd me over concern about me getting fired, I was joking. I did not get fired. Nor did I ever let my animals starve.
However, my house is a pig pen tho. :D :jawdrop:

Jbb
09-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Ok, for the "serious Sadies" out there that have PM'd me over concern about me getting fired, I was joking. I did not get fired. Nor did I ever let my animals starve.
Got any pics...?

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Brown....you sound more and more like a woman ...everyday.....BTW how is the hormone therapy working for you?..... :D
The therapy is working out great. I haven't had to shave in over a week.

Sleek-Jet
09-24-2005, 09:03 AM
I find this arousing... :D :D :D
I personally blame HavasuDoug for my addiction... that's where the true post ***** in me was awakened... :cool: :D

Jbb
09-24-2005, 09:14 AM
The therapy is working out great. I haven't had to shave in over a week.
The sissy voice is a dead giveaway.... :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 09:24 AM
I find this arousing... :D :D :D
You wouldn't last 7 seconds after checkin out my flannel jammies then. :D

JustMVG
09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Tom, did you get religion or something??? You have been taken over by aliens right? Knocking on your forehead, HELLO TOM you in there??!! I worry that someone has taken the TB that we used to count on for the witty and sarcastic remarks seems to have softened, not that its a bad thing it's just different :confused:

Sleek-Jet
09-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't last 7 seconds anyway..... :D :D :sleeping:

Her454
holyshit now that's diggin deep :messedup:
:D
Ok, maybe only 45. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. :cry:

Rexone
Now a member of 47 boating sites...
holyshit now that's diggin deep :messedup:
:D

Her454
09-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't last 7 seconds anyway..... :D :D :sleeping:
No wonder your on the boards so much. :jawdrop: :D

Rexone
09-24-2005, 09:42 AM
:jawdrop:

Sleek-Jet
09-24-2005, 09:50 AM
No wonder your on the boards so much. :jawdrop: :D
Just like a Quick Lube... In and out, and on your way... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D :D

bocco
09-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Remember, rehab is for quiters. Post away.

Her454
09-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Just like a Quick Lube... In and out, and on your way... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D :D
I prefer the full tune up but to each his own :D

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Tom, did you get religion or something??? You have been taken over by aliens right? Knocking on your forehead, HELLO TOM you in there??!! I worry that someone has taken the TB that we used to count on for the witty and sarcastic remarks seems to have softened, not that its a bad thing it's just different :confused:
Brother Mike:
I've been experimenting with a little more FM and a little less Jordy in my responses. It seems to be upsetting people so I think I'll stick with this for a while. :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Brother Mike:
I've been experimenting with a little more FM and a little less Jordy in my responses. It seems to be upsetting people so I think I'll stick with this for a while. :D
ROTFLMAO. As long as you keep Topless out of the mix you should be ok. :wink:

topless
09-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Betting to myself on who the Tribal Drums would strike next and secretly picking who I wanted it to be. Topless of course. .WHAT!!!!!!!!!!????????????? :boxingguy :boxingguy

Her454
09-24-2005, 10:04 AM
wow, that was freaky. :jawdrop:

JetBoatRich
09-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Nobody else to blame but myself and ***boat :cry:

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Nobody else to blame but myself and ***boat :cry:
I blame democrats for my addictions....... and anything else I don't like and prefer not to take responsibility for.

Her454
09-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I blame democrats for my addictions....... and anything else I don't like and prefer not to take responsibility for.
Shall I name you on my class action suit also?

Mrs. Restless22
09-24-2005, 01:48 PM
LOL I was just about to ask if you really got fired. :hammer2:

572Daytona
09-24-2005, 02:28 PM
I got hooked at the University of Illinois in the early 80's. There I had my choice of 2 online networks, one was the PLATO network which had what they called notesfiles (the technology that later became Lotus Notes) on many different topics. A couple of the more popular notesfiles were =Pad which was basically similar to the sandbar type discussions and =Derfnotes where you would get "derfed" if you left your terminal unattended and someone else nearby took the opportunity to post something using your ID :)
The technology was pretty advanced for its day, we had plasma terminals and even online chat.
The other system that I had access to was ARPANet/UseNet from the campuses VAX computers. Even back then Usenet had a rec.boats forum. We had very few PWC's to badmouth back then so we usually picked on sailboats. Usenet still exists today, but rec.boats has pretty much turned into a political topics discussion :hammer2: And Usenet has kind of evolved (devolved) into a way to trade binaries with such high interest groups running the gamut from alt.binaries.sounds-armpit.noises to Tom's favorite alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.female.plumpers :D

AZKC
09-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Was taking a trip to Cancun(2001) and started digging for info on where to stay and I think it was Cancun.com. But the info I gather made the trip very enjoyable ;)

Tom Brown
09-24-2005, 03:15 PM
...Tom's favorite alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.female.plumpers :D
Digital goodness. :cool:
Have you ever run a NN server? I did for a while and took a pretty healthy chunk of the tree. If you read the descriptions in the group header files, there is some funny stuff in there. All of the 'alt.binaries.*' tree descriptions started with, 'copyright violations featuring ...'. :D

MAINEVENT
09-24-2005, 03:18 PM
That's because I was out for 9 and a half months due to tearing my ACL...I have been finally been able to hit it again for about 4 weeks now...after rehabilitation...If you would have seen me last year...Well..I was no joke...it all turned to fat now :frown: and lost the muscle. I was at my peak...now I have to start over. But its building back up quick...I will post pics when I get where I want to be... :D
MUSCLE DOES NOT TURN TO FAT YOU NEED TO READ SOME MORE ON YOUR FORUM :rolleyes: LOL

572Daytona
09-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Digital goodness. :cool:
Have you ever run a NN server? I did for a while and took a pretty healthy chunk of the tree. If you read the descriptions in the group header files, there is some funny stuff in there. All of the 'alt.binaries.*' tree descriptions started with, 'copyright violations featuring ...'. :D
I played around with a server at work, but didn't actually get any of the feeds. It was just for internal use. I can only imagine the bandwidth you would need to get the full feed. But then again you would have enough songs for life for your mp3 player in just a few days time, not to mention a healthy percentage of Kim's and Hunter's porn collections :cool: