PDA

View Full Version : CNN POLL;;; would you move back to N.O.

Not So Fast
09-24-2005, 12:43 PM
While watching the approaching landfall of Rita today CNN had a phone poll asking "Would you or will you move back to New Orleans". The overwhelming response was "NO". One comment was why in the wake of whats happening right now should we waste the precious resources and tremendous amount of money to rebuild the city?? Seems like a question that has to be answered to me, after all it does lie beneath sea level right? Wont this happen again at some point in time? Is man so vain that we think we can hold back the sea? lots of questions that should be answered dont you think?? :idea: How does the H.B. crowd feel about this?? NSF

Mrs. 4-B
09-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I would think they will rebuild the city but it needs to be brought up to sea level. It just doesn't make sense to have it below sea level. It is one of the busiest ports in the U.S. so I would be surprised if it was not rebuilt.
Besides...where would we hold Mardi Gras? :rollside:

HocusPocus
09-24-2005, 01:52 PM
the port could stay.. there are still plenty of parts of NO above the water line including the french quarter where mardi gras is held.. those places could stay, just let the parts under water.. stay under.

Not So Fast
09-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Only two opinions, thats a first :confused: NSF

crf311
09-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Why shouldn't N.O be rebuilt? I mean we have rebuilt in Calf. after earthquakes, wildfires. We have rebuilt in the mid west after Tornado's. Up North after winter Blizards. If we don't rebuild N.O. then I say after ever disaster everywhere no place should be rebuilt.
I bet you all wouldn't go for that.
Robert

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I used to live in New Orleans....I'd move back...I love that city. What they need to do is fire the thiefs who run the levy board.
As Donald Trump said the other day...."the levies are just a construction/engineering problem, that can be solved by "competent" (and honest) engineers.
:lightsabe :boxingguy :sleeping:

Not So Fast
09-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I used to live in New Orleans....I'd move back...I love that city. What they need to do is fire the thiefs who run the levy board.
As Donald Trump said the other day...."the levies are just a construction/engineering problem, that can be solved by "competent" (and honest) engineers.
:lightsabe :boxingguy :sleeping:
Key words "used to live there" what if you had just lost everything you owned, everything, would you still feel the same. It seems like a lesson in frustration to try and hold back the ocean, they have said they were waiting for this to happen and it was just luck it hasn't happened before now and now twice in a month. It would take a lot of love to move back if you ask me, JMO, It's sad though for sure. NSF

crf311
09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh. and yes I am moving back home. It's where I was born, where I live and work. And when I die it will be there. It's home and I love it.

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Key words "used to live there" what if you had just lost everything you owned, everything, would you still feel the same. It seems like a lesson in frustration to try and hold back the ocean, they have said they were waiting for this to happen and it was just luck it hasn't happened before now and now twice in a month. It would take a lot of love to move back if you ask me, JMO, It's sad though for sure. NSF
What you say is true.....but my point is that it is a solveable problem...you can hold back the lake and deal with the flooding.
New Orleans floods regularly, it just takes a heavy ran. The canal and storm drains are the primary place for water storage, the streets are actually the secondary place for flood water storage, and your home is the third place.
I lived in a new home on an older street. My place was built up about 6 feet above street level......my neighbors houses were flooded about 3 times in the 4 years i lived there......my place never flooded.
They can fix the levies properly, they can build the homes up 5 or six feet above street level, improve the pumping systems, and it would be liveable.....it's a solveable engineering problem.
The city is too much of a resource to give up on....anyway, it's cool to drink at a bar that has been there since 1798.....
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

mike37
09-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I think we established in another tread that the environmentalist blocked any reinforcement of the levees and will probably keep doing so
making the levees strong enough is possible from an engineering stand point
but the read tape is the problems the environmentalist wont let it happen

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I think we established in another tread that the environmentalist blocked any reinforcement of the levees and will probably keep doing so
making the levees strong enough is possible from an engineering stand point
but the read tape is the problems the environmentalist wont let it happen
Good point.....it probably is more important to protect some tree frogs then human life!!! :idea:
:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

TCHB
09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
New Orleans will be rebuilt.
We are looking at infrastructure upgrades now that will help with future storms in the entire area. It will take about six months of planning and the work will last at last 5 years.

stvneil
09-24-2005, 06:55 PM
holland is below sea level, houston, n.o. and a few other places. n.o. and houston are sinking, mainly due to the fact oil is being pumped out from under them to supply the rest of the country. n.o. should be rebuilt, it is the price we pay to burn gas.

mike37
09-24-2005, 07:00 PM
holland is below sea level, houston, n.o. and a few other places. n.o. and houston are sinking, mainly due to the fact oil is being pumped out from under them to supply the rest of the country. n.o. should be rebuilt, it is the price we pay to burn gas.
Sorry but N.O. is not sinking because of Oil being pumped out
It has to do with the levies not letting the sediment to build and some other natural thing going on also

stvneil
09-24-2005, 08:30 PM
what you are refering to is the wetlands south of n.o., out in the gulf. it is a fact that oil is causing the sinking of s. louisiana. we have enormous salt domes under la. that are now storing the oil for u.s.. if the oil from emirate states would stop and we had a national emergency we could draw it down. that oil has been pumped in to the caverns for probably 10-15 years. if we didn't have levees there would be no southern united states.

Jrocket
09-24-2005, 08:41 PM
And a whole lot of money coming from somebodies pockets.

Moneypitt
09-24-2005, 09:04 PM
How about allowing people to tie up house boats in their yards? A Zodiac type raft at the ready for going to work/play.....The house boat sits in the yard until the floods come back, then it floats until the water receeds.......MP

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 09:44 PM
And a whole lot of money coming from somebodies pockets.
Money well spent.....if spent properly, which it hasn't been for the last 50 years. :idea:

Jrocket
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Money well spent.....if spent properly, which it hasn't been for the last 50 years. :idea:
If it hasnt been spent then where did it go? Sounds like somebodys going to have to come up with some cash to build new and improved levee's. Taxes maybe?

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 09:57 PM
If it hasnt been spent then where did it go? Sounds like somebodys going to have to come up with some cash to build new and improved levee's. Taxes maybe?
First thing you do.....is get rid of the current levy board....or lock them up in jail.....and put a private contractor in charge of the levies....with bonuses for early completion (like they did on the freeways in Calif after the big earthquake) and fine them for late or inadequate completion.
Just my $.02 :idea: :rollside: :boxed:

Throttle
09-24-2005, 10:04 PM
sure they will rebuild it, I would not go back.

Jrocket
09-24-2005, 10:07 PM
First thing you do.....is get rid of the current levy board....or lock them up in jail.....and put a private contractor in charge of the levies....with bonuses for early completion (like they did on the freeways in Calif after the big earthquake) and fine them for late or inadequate completion.
Just my $.02 :idea: :rollside: :boxed:
I agree...but does the money come from gov't assistance or their state taxes or?...where does it come from.Somebodys got to foot da bill.... :p

HOSS
09-25-2005, 07:35 AM
It will be rebuilt. Levees are gonna be bigger. My area is fine. But more importantly everyone is tip toeing around the fact that the 17th wouldn`t have broke (causing majority of money damadge) if pumps were on. That would have created a negative pressure in the canal. Been living here my entire life. They evacuated the pump operators to Mississippi and couldn`t get them after because they too were blocked in. The pump houses were fine. 30k can go in the dome but not the most important pump operators. The man who orderred this evacuation needs to die! Period! He costs the US 250 billion+ he killed thousands. Him alone. Kenner Police Department had the guys on 2 way radio and were gonna kick the doors in and have the guys direct them to procedure of operations. KPD was told get the hell away. You have no authorization. Yeah, I really wanna kick this guys ass. BAD!.
The east is not a loss but a gain to this city. Nothing but shiit is in their. No accountability and none was going to come out of it. Sorry for the rest of the country but hell,,, I`m glad those niggers aren`t here anymore.

HCS
09-25-2005, 08:02 AM
It will be rebuilt. Levees are gonna be bigger. My area is fine. But more importantly everyone is tip toeing around the fact that the 17th wouldn`t have broke (causing majority of money damadge) if pumps were on. That would have created a negative pressure in the canal. Been living here my entire life. They evacuated the pump operators to Mississippi and couldn`t get them after because they too were blocked in. The pump houses were fine. 30k can go in the dome but not the most important pump operators. The man who orderred this evacuation needs to die! Period! He costs the US 250 billion+ he killed thousands. Him alone. Kenner Police Department had the guys on 2 way radio and were gonna kick the doors in and have the guys direct them to procedure of operations. KPD was told get the hell away. You have no authorization. Yeah, I really wanna kick this guys ass. BAD!.
The east is not a loss but a gain to this city. Nothing but shiit is in their. No accountability and none was going to come out of it. Sorry for the rest of the country but hell,,, I`m glad those niggers aren`t here anymore.
Their still draining society.
I don't think they should rebuild anything below sea level. Turn it into wilderness.

crf311
09-25-2005, 08:34 AM
If we don't rebuild N.O. because it sits below sea level, How about we don't Rebuild any place in Calf. That is destroyed by a earthquak of Wild fire. I bet you will not agree with that!
The Hurricane's were a natural disaster, and this country has proven over and over that we stick together and fix/rebuild any place that is destroyed.

HOSS
09-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Not the East. If you want that,,rebuild it yourself.

HCS
09-25-2005, 09:01 AM
If we don't rebuild N.O. because it sits below sea level, How about we don't Rebuild any place in Calf. That is destroyed by a earthquak of Wild fire. I bet you will not agree with that!
The Hurricane's were a natural disaster, and this country has proven over and over that we stick together and fix/rebuild any place that is destroyed.
I just think living below sea level right by the ocean is kinda ridiculous.
They built that area when? Like the 1930's or something. It should atleast be raised or some other engineering should be done.
Put all the houses on stilts. :idea:

Not So Fast
09-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I personally do not know much about N.O. as I dont think most of us do. Not to offend anybody that hails from there but rebuilding an area that sits below sea level just doesn't make sense and especially since it will have to leveled and stabilized (the ground?) then start all over, in all seriousness this would be a huge task and money would come from where? Is the area completely built out? Are there areas where say a New New Orleans could be built in the same theme as the old and then just leave the worst flooded areas as is?? As Hoss says it was not a very nice place anyway. (the flooded areas)To compare this with rebuilding after a fire or earthquake is ridiculous so dont even go there, The OCEAN WILL ALWAYS BE THERE AND MAN WILL NOT BEAT IT PERIOD. I've lived in So Cal my whole life and never been affected by a fire or earthquake ( I admit lucky) Point being is that N.O. was a work in progress over many generations, sort of Grandfathered in??? You gotta admit that thinking of trying to hold back the sea is, well, sort of stupid and even if you accomplish this, then a hurricane comes along (frequently I might add) and pushes a 20 ft surge of water and the same thing happens again, just not worth it! JMO :notam: NSF

HCS
09-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Not the East. If you want that,,rebuild it yourself.
Wouldn't it be a hell of alot nicer if you lived near by a new golf course? ;)

HOSS
09-25-2005, 09:10 AM
It will get raised now. Most of it. Tens of thousands of houses and building need to be demolished. Last I heard is that EPA gave the go ahead to burn each in place. Haul off whats left. Its just too damn much sheet to put anywhere. Codes will change now. Structures will be built stronger. And of course cost will be much higher. I need to find an existing building for my shop. There`s no way in hell I could afford to build one now. New codes,,,no way. But thats progress.
Wanna know how this got built to begin with. OIL! The oil companies came in dug canals everwhere that is eroding the marsh and left with their money. Hell politicians, private business and oil industry made money. Why build it right when you can half ass it and make bread.
This was gonna happen one day. Just that one day was 3 weeks ago. Life will go on. Thats it. The storms will pass, winter will be here then spring then boating. People will brag about who stayed , damadge to house, etc. But will the un accountable phucs still be here? Thats the question that everyone with money around the country is waiting to see.
I`m going swimming in my pool. Only clean one in the city.

HOSS
09-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Wouldn't it be a hell of alot nicer if you lived near by to a new golf course? ;)
No! I already live at Chateau Estates golf course. Keep New Orleans East. Build the new airport there cause section 8,,well,,,,,ain`t all that great!

Not So Fast
09-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Hoss is my new best friend, love reading your posts :cool: You should run for Governor :D NSF

HOSS
09-25-2005, 09:23 AM
I may have a shot if the "element" doesn`t return. :D

Bre
09-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I may have a shot if the "element" doesn`t return. :D
Hey Hoss... missed you!!

HOSS
09-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Damn girl! Me too,,,how`s the new job? :)

Bre
09-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Damn girl! Me too,,,how`s the new job? :)
It is going really good:) Thank you for asking. How is everything?? I haven't had time to read up on you yet.

HOSS
09-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Fine. Nothing to read. Lil` wind, lil` water. Life goes on. National guard won`t let anyone launch. Need to buy more beer. What else can an unemployeed internet freak do. Sick of cutting down trees. Bud Light is always on time. Funny how that is.

HCS
09-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Well it's a good thing you can get your beer!
Couldn't do all that work beerless myself. :notam:

Desert Rat
09-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey Hoss if you don't run for Governor at least go for Mayor of N.O. so we don't have to listen to the finger pointing wining phuck who is in office now. He likes to blame everyone else but himself.... :hammerhea