PDA

View Full Version : Broken neck...Sand Bar...

Mrs. 4-B
09-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know how the man is that dove into shallow water at the Sand Bar on Saturday is? He was life flighted up to Las Vegas. Pretty sad, his legs were not moving and I only saw his right arm slightly move. I hope he was just traumatized and will be okay.

BALLSDEEP
09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Thats horrible. I was there with a group of frineds and we saw a big red helicopter land. We had no idea that someone was injured.

Mrs. 4-B
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
It was pretty sad. We came upon it and the guys friends got him out of the water with someones skim board and kept him still until the firefighters and police arrived. The put him in a neck brace and onto a back board. Then took him away on the fire pontoon back into a cove where the helicopter landed and took off to L.V.
Apparently he had been drinking (now there's a surprise). Still, I hope he is okay.

cc322
09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
WOW.... hope he is going to be ok, it seems like it has been a pretty mellow summer this year with accidents compared to the last few years. Allways hate to hear stuff like this.

Kilrtoy
09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN........
I just dont get this...
DONT DIVE IN THE SHALLOW END, Remember kids....

78Anthonyjet
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Yesterday up here in the San Jaquin Delta, some guy was riding on the bow of a rented boat, fell in the drink and got ran over by the boat, prop took his arm off. :frown:

sxpilot
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I just dont get this...
thats a pretty big price to pay for that lesson...

Mr.Havasu
09-26-2005, 04:33 PM
We saw the fire boat and the police there as we drove by the sand bar. Then 5 minutes later we saw the red helicoptor (life rescue) headinf towards the sandbar so we knew it was something serious.
Sorry to here someone was hurt.

Riverkid
09-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Years ago, we had a big group of off road racers dry camping out along Mojave way up after a race and one guy took a bad header on a quad, at night. Luckily we had The Weatherman's moho with us and they quickly got the Lake Marine Patrol on the radio, 'cause there was no cell service anywhere closeby.
15 mins or so later a LF chopper came hauling into our cove from Vegas. Had the guy up and out in less than ten minutes. No feeling in his legs, limited arm mobility, etc.
Same guy showed back up in a Vegas rental the next afternoon. Just pinched a nerve was all, but man was he lucky, and we were all pretty relieved...
Hope this guy is lucky, too...

Throttle
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
I just dont get this...
this is sad, wait 30 minutes before getting in the water after eating too.

JetBoatRich
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
:( He was diving off the boat at the sandbar

25Elmn8r
09-26-2005, 07:25 PM
We were a few boats over from him. We figured that is what happened. I didn't see him moving at all.
It was good to see that people weren't panicking and trying to move him.
Hope that he is going to be ok!
When will people learn?

purrfecttremor
09-26-2005, 07:28 PM
We were talking to some Peeps in the channel sat evening and They said He
dove into two feet of water.hope he' ok.

JetBoatRich
09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
We were talking to some Peeps in the channel sat evening and They said He
dove into two feet of water.hope he' ok.
That is to bad :rolleyes: hope he recovers OK
they call it a SandBar for a reason

Mrs. 4-B
09-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I hope to have more information on this this afternoon. I will keep all posted here.

nhbuoy
09-27-2005, 08:45 AM
:hammerhea ...Hey kids...A PERFECT example of genetic selection in action...What a moron....... :hammer2: :hammerhea

Sane Asylum
09-27-2005, 09:30 AM
:hammerhea ...Hey kids...A PERFECT example of genetic selection in action...What a moron....... :hammer2: :hammerhea
Your post counts not high enough for a post like that......Maybe a little sympathy for a guy that makes a quick bad decision......
F OFF.........Dips hit........

Mrs.Racer277
09-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Nhbuoy- You seriously might want to remove that post. :frown:

Flashover
09-27-2005, 09:47 AM
Look out for the Karma Freight train comming your way.....

PlyaPlya22
09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey genious! You don't even know this guy or what actually happened. Looks like you came from the same genetic selection your speaking of. :idea:

riverracerx
09-27-2005, 09:56 AM
what a bummer. Hope he is OK. Bad way to end a weekend at the river.
Thoughts and prayers to him!

Garrddogg
09-27-2005, 10:09 AM
WOW YOURE AN ASS! :eat:

Mrs. 4-B
09-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Update - I have information on the outcome of this accident. I don't feel right about posting it here. If interested you can PM me. Very sad! :(

Nord
09-27-2005, 10:59 AM
doesn't sound good :frown:

RiverToysJas
09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I have to disagree also, the guy makes a split second decision and now may never walk.....It is FAR from any sort of example of genetic selection. :mad:
There many places that I have stopped on the river and around the sandbar that, it not for the depth gauge in the boat, I would have no idea were only 3-4' deep.
My thought and prayers go out to the guy and his family.
RTJas

That Guy
09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I have to disagree also, the guy makes a split second decision and now may never walk.....It is FAR from any sort of example of genetic selection. :mad:
There many places that I have stopped on the river and around the sandbar that, it not for the depth gauge in the boat, I would have no idea were only 3-4' deep.
My thought and prayers go out to the guy and his family.
RTJas
Nicely stated......

nodigg
09-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Pretty sad deal. No matter how it happened. We were just a few boats down and saw all the LE coming in, three boats and finally a chopper and the poor guy was being comforted by a woman holding his head in her lap, I assumed was his g/f?wife?.

OutCole'd
09-27-2005, 05:15 PM
What a terrible deal. :(
What can I say, I feel bad for everyone involved in this terrible tragedy.

sdpm
09-27-2005, 05:30 PM
About 10 years ago down on the lower part of the river near Fishers/ Martinez area, something similar happened. A guy and his girlfriend were floating down the river sitting across from one another on the gunnels when the guy decided to get wet and just rolled off backwards into the water. They were in less than 18" of water but you could not see the bottom. The water is very dirty down there and if you have ever been there you would know what I'm talking about. He hit head first and broke his neck and drowned. No alcohol no drugs, no nothing. Just a very very bad accident. He was my friend. Very sad. Brought back bad memorys. :(

Kilrtoy
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Update - I have information on the outcome of this accident. I don't feel right about posting it here. If interested you can PM me. Very sad! :(
Doesnt sound good, but you did start this thread....

Wonderboy
09-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Doesnt sound good, but you did start this thread....
Well said.

purrfecttremor
09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm still praying he's o.k.Some people are passing judgment on this poor guy and were not even sure what happened.It really doesn't matter anyway the important thing here is His health and loved one's! Put Yourself in their position.

Mr.Havasu
09-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Very sad, Doesn't sound like there is a very good chance that this is going to turn out o.k. for the guy. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Mrs.charitycase
09-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know how the man is that dove into shallow water at the Sand Bar on Saturday is? He was life flighted up to Las Vegas. Pretty sad, his legs were not moving and I only saw his right arm slightly move. I hope he was just traumatized and will be okay.
WOW!...That's awful! I hope he's ok! Those kinda things are always a scary sight.

Her454
09-28-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm still praying he's o.k.Some people are passing judgment on this poor guy and were not even sure what happened.It really doesn't matter anyway the important thing here is His health and loved one's! Put Yourself in their position.
For such a close knit boating group, I am also surprised at all those so quick to pass judgement. Stupid move to dive at that point? Sure it was. But maybe he didnt realize it, we dont know. Im just thankful it was not one of my loved ones. Show me someone on this board who has never made a split second decision and done something stupid and I'll hand over the title of by boat.
My heart goes out to him, and his family.

sxpilot
09-28-2005, 09:46 AM
He paid the Ultimate price and his family will never be the same again!!!

Nord
09-28-2005, 09:48 AM
He could have been a rookie and was trying to help, I agree, really bad comments from people who think everyone should know everything.
We all were rookies once! :frown:

carbonmarine
09-28-2005, 09:49 AM
He passed away ??? somebody just post the facts on what happend, what broke, what happens in the end ... :confused:

purrfecttremor
10-01-2005, 03:22 AM
I'm still praying He's ok.We were there that day and it kind of hit home and I can't stop thinking about Him.Doe's anyone know how He is?I had to ask. :frown:

OGShocker
10-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Maybe you should crawl back in your hole ya East Coast Fukwad. :notam:
__________________________________________________ ____________
Our thoughts and prayers go out to this young man and his family.

Just Tool'n
10-01-2005, 07:49 AM
this is sad, wait 30 minutes before getting in the water after eating too.
That is a myth, or a urban legend, you can go swimming right after eating.
No need to wait.

core attitude
10-01-2005, 08:12 AM
That is a myth, or a urban legend, you can go swimming right after eating.
No need to wait.
Uuuuhhhhh.......I believe that was meant to be humorous.
Pete

91nordic29
10-01-2005, 08:14 AM
actually it isnt a myth nor urban legend. it is to avoid stomach cramps (and give the parents time to relax before turning the kids loose again). :cool:

sxpilot
10-01-2005, 08:43 AM
(and give the parents time to relax before turning the kids loose again). :cool:
Yes that is a FACT... :D

RiverToysJas
10-01-2005, 09:20 AM
actually it isnt a myth nor urban legend. it is to avoid stomach cramps....
That's not what the Myth Buster's determined. ;) Myth BUSTED.
RTJas :D

uvindex
10-01-2005, 09:29 AM
That's not what the Myth Buster's determined. ;) Myth BUSTED.
RTJas :DSnopes too! http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hourwait.asp :)

little rowe boat
10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
So is anyone going to post the outcome of the poor soul that broke his neck.

topless
10-01-2005, 10:31 AM
I know the outcome but if YOU really want to know, PM Mrs.4-B like she said earlier. :frown:

little rowe boat
10-01-2005, 10:32 AM
If you know,why don't you go ahead and tell me???

topless
10-01-2005, 10:35 AM
PM me.

desertbird
10-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Please don't tell me this guy died. Although extremely unfortunate, the future impact on the Sandbar crowd is enormous. More LE, more closures, and more reasons for those that prefer to see us off the river, do so. :frown:

OGShocker
10-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Jeff,
Please PM me with the details. I would ask Topless but, I don't want to bug her. :squiggle:

topless
10-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Jeff,
Please PM me with the details. I would ask Topless but, I don't want to bug her. :squiggle:Bug me, it might turn me on. :D

HitIt
06-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Crazy stuff. New member here and I was doing a search for a "depth finder" and this old thread came up. I am pretty sure that this was my friend.
Anyway, now that boating season is in full swing, this is just a reminder to remind EVERYONE on your boat to not jump in head first unless they are 100% sure how deep the water is. People that arent around boats a lot just dont think about it... especially after a few beers.
Sorry if I am getting preachy... just a sensitive subject and something that is easily avoided.

Kilrtoy
06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Crazy stuff. New member here and I was doing a search for a "depth finder" and this old thread came up. I am pretty sure that this was my friend.
Anyway, now that boating season is in full swing, this is just a reminder to remind EVERYONE on your boat to not jump in head first unless they are 100% sure how deep the water is. People that arent around boats a lot just dont think about it... especially after a few beers.
Sorry if I am getting preachy... just a sensitive subject and something that is easily avoided.
Ok so what happened?????

little rowe boat
06-07-2007, 06:47 AM
What was the outcome for your friend???

Mrs.Racer277
06-07-2007, 06:51 AM
What was the outcome for your friend???
Not good :( from what I remember

meaniam
06-07-2007, 07:16 AM
F@ck cant belive we cant get an answer 2 years later:D i hate pm and usually forget to check them

Mrs.Racer277
06-07-2007, 07:17 AM
F@ck cant belive we cant get an answer 2 years later:D i hate pm and usually forget to check them
I don't think he made it. :(

HitIt
06-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Just checked the dates and, no, this thread wasnt about my friend. My buddy jumped off the boat at the sandbar head first about a year before that. He is paralized from the neck down now.
Anyway, things happen. Be careful and keep those around you safe :)

Devil's Advocate
06-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Just checked the dates and, no, this thread wasnt about my friend. My buddy jumped off the boat at the sandbar head first about a year before that. He is paralized from the neck down now.
Anyway, things happen. Be careful and keep those around you safe :)
This is the first thing I think of when I see people cliff diving or doing crazy jumps into the water. I see so many cases of permanent paralysis from diving accidents. It may look fun but it's just not worth the risk.
I hope this man is going to be alright but it doesn't sound very good. :( Prayers...

desertbird
06-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I can't believe this thread was 2 years old!! I started reading it like it happened last weekend!!! Even PM'd Mrs. 4-b before I realized this was a dead thread.
I guess we still never know the real answer? :confused:

Devil's Advocate
06-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I can't believe this thread was 2 years old!! I started reading it like it happened last weekend!!! Even PM'd Mrs. 4-b before I realized this was a dead thread.
I did the same thing.

HitIt
06-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Sorry for freaking everyone out by bringing this thread back from the dead. Just trying to remind everyone to be same. No more PSA's for a while. I promise.

CARLSON-JET
06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
HitIt, I think a stout reminder like this is in order. I honestly do not often remember to tell friends about diving into the water. Around here the lake/river is wayyyy shallow and so murkey finding anybody would be a hard task.. Sorry about your friend.

OCMerrill
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I just read the entire thread, told my wife about it, told the kids why we don't just jump off the boat before we swim around to check things.
Then I realize this is an old thread as well. At the very least we all got a reminder of something we were told not to do as young kids.
There has been a bunch of old threads revived here lately. I need to learn to look at the date first.

INSman
06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Sad, but I am happy to see MrsCC posting again !! :D

Mrs. 4-B
06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I was surprised to see this come up again but since it's been so long...I guess I'll tell the ending to the story as I understand it from my sources...
Unfortunately, the guy did not make it. RIP buddy.