PDA

View Full Version : need help with overheating and power for amps!!

vegasriverjunkie
09-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm having trouble with power and heat problems with my amps. I'm asking if someone hear could tell me how I should run the power to the amps. I had a shop do the install and have nothing but problems since. I'm running four batt. now, 2 for the boat and 2 for the stereo. Should I just run three to the stereo and how should I wire it with the Perko. The second is the overheating, My amps are located in the mid cuddy and it seems to only last for about half hour when cranked. It sucks to have a nice system never work when your out on the water. By the way I'm running a zapco 1000 watt to 4 JL 10's and I have a JL amp running 4 of the 6 x 9's. Is there any fans out there to cool this down or should I just move this out of the midcuddy. Any help would be appreciated.

ROZ
09-29-2005, 09:33 AM
There are fans available that will help keep the amps cool... Depending on how you have them installed, you can use a couple computer type fans or crossflow fans... TremorTherapy has a couple amp behind each of his midcabin seats with a fan and vent at the top behind the seatback. To my knowledge, he didn't have problems with the amps going into heat protection..
2 ways you can hook up your power...
1. Power your amps from directly from the batteries via a circuitbreaker within 18" from the batteries (so you can completely disconnect power for storage or when working on it) then through distribution to your amps... Keeping the stereo bank on the perko for charging..
2. Run your batteries to a position on the perko and power the amps, through a main fuse < than 18" from the perko, and power the amps from the common on the perko then to distribution and amps... The benefit here is that your system is disconnected when the perko selection is either to the off or battery starting....
Both power and ground runs need to be the same size cable and runs should be the same ....

Sean@magic
09-29-2005, 04:10 PM
You can pick up the fans he is talking about at radio shack or sometimes best buy. We use them in stereo installs often.

BADASS38CHEVY
09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Im using 2 blower motors that they use for the engine compartments in boats for cooling my amps.I have them on a switch for on and off.They really move some air.

Phat Matt
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
If I remember correctly his amps are mounted in the mid cabin, not behind the seats in the mind cabin. There should be plenty of air flowing through there already.
I could be wrong though. The day he was next to us in Steamboat and the Channel I was not feeling too good all day or I would have jumped in and took a look. :hammer2:

Chase
09-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Boat in Canada.. :D :D

h2oski2fast
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Suprising, none of the know-it-alls asked how the subs were wired. :idea: :idea: :idea: I guess in this business they just throw parts at it till it works?

ROZ
09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Alright, those know it alls guess we should ask how long his power wire runs are and what gauge wire was used as well as which amp is overheating :hammer2: :D

3:30dirty
09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Start simple, dont mount the amps flush on whatever it is your mounting them on. Raise them up about a half inch..#10 stringer washers work great. This allows air to flow under the amps and greatly increases heat transfer. I have done this numerous times with great results.

h2oski2fast
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Start simple, dont mount the amps flush on whatever it is your mounting them on. Raise them up about a half inch..#10 stringer washers work great. This allows air to flow under the amps and greatly increases heat transfer. I have done this numerous times with great results.
You're joking right?

3:30dirty
09-30-2005, 05:11 PM
No actually im not. I had four Audison amps that would get hot and overheat ocasionally due to the location that they were mounted-in a cabinet with poor air circulation. Yes they were wired correctly and not overpowered in any way they were just in a poor location. Getting the amps off the side wall that was all carpet was all it took. They dissipate quite a bit more heat with air underneath. Currently did this also on a brand new Magic deck that was doing the same thing. It now will run for about an hour longer after this was done. Dont get me wrong im no stereo guru, just sayin start with the simple things first. When its a 120 out and your amps are in a 145 degree cabinet, to me it makes sense. Nevers said it was right or wrong.

ROZ
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Which series Audison amps are you running? VRX?