PDA

View Full Version : The hand wave

lewiville
10-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I have been gong out to the river for over 18 years and I was just thinking, is it me or does any body do the " hand wave" or the acknologing that you see the other person wave?
just a thought. I alway let someone know that I see them, hell even my kids do the wave.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-02-2005, 10:01 PM
I have been gong out to the river for over 18 years and I was just thinking, is it me or does any body do the " hand wave" or the acknologing that you see the other person wave?
just a thought. I alway let someone know that I see them, hell even my kids do the wave.
I know we do. But most that I see don't anymore so we are not sure if they see us or not./ :supp: ;)

NorCal Gameshow
10-02-2005, 10:06 PM
The hand wave is good ,it's nice when you have the kids, to know the other boats acknowledge that they see ya'. :chi:
the finger wave however, is not so good... :jawdrop:

lewiville
10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
ahhh yes the good ol finger wave.... cant forget that one
I like it when I am pulling a skier out of the water and they wave to let me know they see me instead of blowing by me and my skier

jbtrailerjim
10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I always give the wave when I see a fellow boater stopped in the water with the red flag up.

Boy Named Sue
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I wave as I go by on the levee road. :smile: Or to people walking down the street. Always to train engineers. They always wave back.

Outnumbered
10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
I always give the wave when I see a fellow boater stopped in the water with the red flag up.
Me too. Been doing it since I can remember. Its funny. Now the kids are always doing it too as we pass skiers. Starting them early.
You can tell the rookie boaters (besides the ones skiing/boarding/tubing without a flag :burningm: ) because they look at you like: WTF are you waving at.

KACHINA KEN
10-02-2005, 11:19 PM
waving was actually a practice started by knights to show they had no arms in hand as they passed others on roads.

NashvilleBound
10-03-2005, 04:02 AM
We always raise our hands when we see a skier(no flags out here) almost everyone in every boat I see does. Besides that, whenever you pass someone on the water they wave. I didnt know moving out here I was going to HAVE to act all nice and kah-rap. I guess its a good thing :D

JetBoatRich
10-03-2005, 04:17 AM
I wished more people with acknowledge they know you are around :mad: we always raise our hand depending on which side of the boat we wave in that direction. If we see a skier/tuber, etc we give a wave to let them know we see them as well. :D

spectratoad
10-03-2005, 06:27 AM
I always wave to other boaters as an acknowledgment that I see them-they see me and I also wave or hold my arm up to let them know I see they have skiier in the water when their flag is up.
Just old school ettiquette I guess that alot of these idiot newfound money/credit boat owners forget or never knew. :cool:

Mrs.Racer277
10-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Always :D

a catered life
10-03-2005, 06:49 AM
guess i suck cause i do the head nod which translates to "whats up":frown:

ATLAS
10-03-2005, 06:57 AM
i all way wave it is just some thing i was told to do when growing up out there

LHC30Victory
10-03-2005, 07:00 AM
I've grown up at Parker with two distinct waves. The first is just a quick wave of acknowledge when you pass another boat. The second is less a wave and more an arm in the air when you pass a downed skier.
SHEEET, there I go again - agreeing with SWB :rolleyes: :D

LHC30Victory
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, probably waving for the smaller boat to get out of the way :hammerhea

lewiville
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
waving was actually a practice started by knights to show they had no arms in hand as they passed others on roads.
so Ken,
could the knights get the middle finger up with all of the armor on?

DJ Sound Technique
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, we always give the wave when coming up on someone that has skiers or swimmers in the water flag up or not, just so they know that we see them!

Nord
10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Usually everyone in my boat does this task for me. When I'm in someone else's boat, I usually do it myself!! :D

BowTie Rick
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I've grown up at Parker with two distinct waves. The first is just a quick wave of acknowledge when you pass another boat. The second is less a wave and more an arm in the air when you pass a downed skier.
Yup, me too. Gotta love the look of confusion on the faces of the people in the other boat though :confused: Makes you feel like shouting, "Hey, did you just get that roll bar boat?" :hammer2:

Aquaholic502
10-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I always wave when passing any boat, so they know we are aware of them and not to worry them, not that we are going that fast or anything......

voodoomedman
10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I don't care about everybody in the boat waving (well except for the friendliness part) I wave to the driver and want the wave back from the driver because we are the ones in control of the machine that could possibly kill people.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I LOVE the hand wave.....
Mostly used up river.......
I take it to mean...
"Can you really believe how great of a day this is.....Are you ALSO having as great of time as I am.......Do you think everyone else knows how lucky we are running this river on such a wonderful day !!!!!......Is this privilage or WHAT !!!!.......Man this is beautiful !!!!!!......Does that blower whine make you all warm inside too !!!!!!"
Hmmmmmmm.......
All that in a hand wave !!!!!!!
Helen Keller ain't got nothin' on us !!!!!!!
Later,
CJG
:D

BigDogIvan
10-03-2005, 08:39 PM
I always wave to other boaters as an acknowledgment that I see them-they see me and I also wave or hold my arm up to let them know I see they have skiier in the water when their flag is up.
:cool:
I have to agree with this. I too pretty much grew up on the strip and everyone I know always raises there arm to let the other boat know that they see there flag and there person in the water. This is ALWAYS done by the driver, not the passengers. Even tho there is ususaly someone on board helping the driver keep an eye out.
BD

C-2
10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I like useless little tidbits like this.
Thanks. :)

Dusty Times
10-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I always wave.
It's nice when they wave back.
When the don't. THEN THEY GET THE FINGER!

H20skier
10-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I take it to mean...
"Can you really believe how great of a day this is.....Are you ALSO having as great of time as I am.......Do you think everyone else knows how lucky we are running this river on such a wonderful day !!!!!......Is this privilage or WHAT !!!!.......Man this is beautiful !!!!!!......Does that blower whine make you all warm inside too !!!!!!"
Hmmmmmmm.......
Helen Keller ain't got nothin' on us !!!!!!!
Later,
CJG
What he said....

boxscore
10-04-2005, 06:52 AM
I once waved to someone with Kilrtoy in my boat. He freaked... told me to only wave to other DCBer's. Something about part of the sales contract or something.

riverbound
10-04-2005, 07:01 AM
I was always taught that if you see a boat with a Flag up....look for a rope and a skier...once you see both raise your arm to let the other boat know you are aware of their skier and rope. I feel only the driver should do this (beacuse they are the one in control) If you dont see a skier or rope slow down until you see why they have a flag up.
As far as having to wave anytime you pass a boat....I dont...too many boats out there... I would be wavong all day.

mondorally
10-04-2005, 07:02 AM
I like the ones that drive with the flag up. I'm like slowing down, passing, trying to pick up the skier in the water to raise my hand and there's nobody in the water.
Or the ones that actually have a skier/wakeboarder in the water and you're looking for the flag...... only to see it after you pass them because it's hidden by the roll cage/speakers/wakeboard mount. I must have seen it 3-4 times last weekend. I guess they just assume everyone is paying attention.....
Justin

riverbound
10-04-2005, 07:15 AM
This is exactly what I was taught. Exactly. To a tee.
shi t.....if only more people were taught the basics :idea: it seems like such a common sense thing, but most boaters have no clue :supp:

mondorally
10-04-2005, 07:33 AM
I was always taught that if you see a boat with a Flag up....look for a rope and a skier...once you see both raise your arm to let the other boat know you are aware of their skier and rope. I feel only the driver should do this (beacuse they are the one in control) If you dont see a skier or rope slow down until you see why they have a flag up.
I was taught the same..... frankly I thought it was the law! Should be, but you can't legislate common sense........
Justin

Krumbsnatcher
10-04-2005, 07:40 AM
It is a sure way to let the other boater breathe a bit easier as you come up on em.

91nordic29
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I always wave.
It's nice when they wave back.
When the don't. THEN THEY GET THE FINGER!
or the "HOW RUDE" remark.lol

91nordic29
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
I take it to mean...
Hmmmmmmm.......
yep. :cool:

Jbb
10-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I always wave at Brown when I pass him at the lake ....and soak him with my rooster tail.....well ....its more a ...finger ...than a wave.... :D

riverbound
10-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I was taught the same..... frankly I thought it was the law! Should be, but you can't legislate common sense........
Justin
I actually thought it was the law too.....But in our house it pretty much was.

WaterBox
10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
:idea: Kinda hard to wave when you don't have any arms :D :D

lewiville
10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't care about everybody in the boat waving (well except for the friendliness part) I wave to the driver and want the wave back from the driver because we are the ones in control of the machine that could possibly kill people.
could not say it better my self. Its the driver that I want to know that I see him drunk or not, skiing or not.

79Challenger
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
That is how we have always done it.

Tremor Therapy
10-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Exactly what my dad taught me. 1, the wave of acknowledgement, letting the other boater know you see them, and you know what line they are travelling prior to passing them. 2, the second wave was my hand straight up in the air so that I am acknowledging a downed skier to the other boater in the water, and hopefully the same to anybody following or beside me.