PDA

View Full Version : sth wheel towing question

riverroyal
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
how much room should there be between the top of my bed rails and the bottom/underside of the trailer,my 5th wheel now is a little too high in the front,i need to lower it,just wondering how much is safe

CornWater
10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
It's a solid mount.. if you have enough clearence to hitch it, your fine...

WetWillie
10-03-2005, 08:05 PM
I knew you didnt know what the hell your doing! :rolleyes:
Got the new Auto Slider installed and Im going for it next weekend! :D

Dawn Patrol
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I have 9 inches of clearance with my setup.

Magic34
10-04-2005, 05:53 AM
If you go to the dunes or uneven terrain, I was told the min. should be 6"

bigblockbill
10-04-2005, 06:55 AM
6" is what I have been told. Start there you can probably get away with 5 however. Just on uneven surfaces go slow and look in your mirror and watch the bottom of the camper to the bed rails. I have createred one in the past.
You can also lift your camper. 2 easy things to do.
1) Move axles to bottom side of springs and weld on new spring purches. 3-4 inches
2) Buy the little traingle thing between the two springs that is 1 1/2 inchs longer then the stock ones
I have also done blocks, but people will caution you on that.
You can cut off the stock spring mounts and weld an I beam to the bottom of the frame, and weld the mounts back on. I have seen as much as 8" done that way.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

riverroyal
10-04-2005, 10:01 AM
i have about nine,its pivot style hitch.I will drop it to 6 then,weve never towed it to the sand yet,just freeway/havasu stuff,just wanted to make sure the best clearance for desert season,thanks everyone

Dawn Patrol
10-04-2005, 11:44 AM
i have about nine,its pivot style hitch.I will drop it to 6 then,weve never towed it to the sand yet,just freeway/havasu stuff,just wanted to make sure the best clearance for desert season,thanks everyone
You'll be good to go at 9 inches. We take our 40' off road in Glamis, and have never came close to hitting the bed.

riverroyal
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
i need to lower the front of the trailer,i put 33s on the truck,and airbags,so its about 6 inches higher than it was,im gonna lower it to around 6 inches off the bed rails