PDA

View Full Version : Launching in Havasu for larger boats

Magic34
10-04-2005, 08:47 AM
With the water down, I got to play the launch ramp game this last weekend.
The Natuical has an uneven line where the ramp ends. They have put some sand/rock bags at the end of that ramp to soften the fall off of the back of it. If you are trying to launch a boat over 30' there, make sure that you keep the front tires of your trailer on the ramp or pulling out will be very difficlut. Also if you are standing in front of the ramp looking down at the water, use the side that would be on your left. The end of the ramp curves and there is more ramp there than on the other side. 30'+ boats will need 4wd. I was lucky to get my 34 out, and I think it was because my 4500 is heavy enough, but I was smoking the rears fairly heavy. 2500HD pulling out a 30' Deckboat, we needed 4x4, or it would not have done it. This is due to the trailer partially being off the ramp.
If your boat is a 29 V or smaller, you should be just fine at the Nautical, just follow the side I described above. I helped 2 27' Hallets get on the trailer and the trailer stayed on the ramp.
Windsor, the north ramp, is where we launched on Sunday. This is just fine to launch at. We launched my boat (34 Magic) and a 36 Spectre there with no issues. Just stay in the middle on idle out and you will be just fine. Next trip with similiar water levels, I will launch there without question, as it was the safest way to go with no issues.
Now, heading up river, that's another story, but be careful at the mouth of the river, there is not much room for error. If you are 20 yards too far left or right, you are in 18" of water or less.

Sane Asylum
10-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Now, heading up river, that's another story, but be careful at the mouth of the river, there is not much room for error. If you are 20 yards too far left or right, you are in 18" of water or less.
Hey.......Whatever happened to trim it high and let it fly.......... :D :D

All IN
10-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Do you a think a 28ft will have any problem

Magic34
10-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey.......Whatever happened to trim it high and let it fly.......... :D :D
Um, so yeah, I trimmed it high actually too high. Never touched bottom, but scared the sh*t out of me.

Magic34
10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Do you a think a 28ft will have any problem
28' at the Nautical.... Should be fine, just stay on the "hotel side" half of the ramp. The 27' Hallet is more like a 29' boat because they don't count the swim platform. Those boats made it on and off, no problem and all tires stayed safely of the ramp.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
how is windsor

Magic34
10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
how is windsor
I would launch there over anywhere else.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-04-2005, 10:06 AM
I would launch there over anywhere else.
THANKS

Magic34
10-04-2005, 10:15 AM
THANKS
Of the 2 ramps there, be sure to use the North one, not the South.
You're welcome.

riverroyal
10-04-2005, 10:23 AM
at black meadow landing it took my about a hour to find a spot on the ramp that i could use with out dropping off the edge,it was stupid,but i was the only one there,no lines

Up 4 River
10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Magic 34,
I echo what you said about the mouth of the river. Coming back form Topac Saturday about 5pm it was as shallow as I've seen it in a while. By the way your setup is sick. I pulled my boat out right after you yesterday and we were in front of you in the wipe down area. At least you had the ladies helping your with the cleaning duites.

Magic34
10-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Magic 34,
I echo what you said about the mouth of the river. Coming back form Topac Saturday about 5pm it was as shallow as I've seen it in a while. By the way your setup is sick. I pulled my boat out right after you yesterday and we were in front of you in the wipe down area. At least you had the ladies helping your with the cleaning duites.
Should have said hello. I wouldn't have told you how cool my boat is for 10 mintues. I mean, its not like its a Skater or anything. :D
Seriously though, would have liked to say hi. I was too busy trying to get everything ready for the drive back to notice much of anything. With the new truck, it holds a sh*tload of fuel so I go nonstop.
Thanks for the props on the setup, and I could have rented you some wipe down help if you needed it. :D

Up 4 River
10-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I'll make sure to say hello next time. To bad you didn't spend 10 minutes telling me about it. The we could have started a conversation about how my 21' is cool because it's a lighter boat and you could have told me all the uses of your boat and the practicality of it. J/K Then I might have sounded like a C &T guy though. Hope to see you out there some time in the future. I had my girl helping me with the wipe down but we were heading out of town as well.
U4R

Magic34
10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
I'll make sure to say hello next time. To bad you didn't spend 10 minutes telling me about it. The we could have started a conversation about how my 21' is cool because it's a lighter boat and you could have told me all the uses of your boat and the practicality of it. J/K Then I might have sounded like a C &T guy though. Hope to see you out there some time in the future. I had my girl helping me with the wipe down but we were heading out of town as well.
U4R
Next time! :cool:

29Genesis
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Does anybody know what it is like at the Havasu Marina for a 29'

Magic34
10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
bump, for those heading out this weekend

ChumpChange
10-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Heading out on Friday. Good information to know. Too bad water is low, this was going to be my parents first trip on my boat and I wanted to take them through the gorge to Topoc.

Beer-30
10-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Does anybody know what it is like at the Havasu Marina for a 29'
Where? Is there a marina there? Not even if they were the last launch ramp.

raff
10-06-2005, 09:16 AM
What is all the talk about the water being down. Looks like it been all summer.
http://www.coloradoriverinfo.com/waterflowreports/2005/1003.html

Magic34
10-06-2005, 09:18 AM
What is all the talk about the water being down. Looks like it been all summer.
http://www.coloradoriverinfo.com/waterflowreports/2005/1003.html
No, it is much lower than it was in the middle of the summer. The sand bar is actually a beach, the mouth of the river is very low in spots, much lower than in the past months, all of the ramps in town have warning signs on them telling people of low water levels.

Magic34
10-07-2005, 09:22 PM
up for those heading out this weekend.