PDA

View Full Version : Work...great benefits (or) salary?

HammerDown
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Tough decisions here, just started a new job in NJ with great pay (but) the benefit's are well...in my opinion so-so. :rolleyes:
And now I have a chance to work for the state, mine (Pa)...top of the line benefits etc with nice retirement (but) the $$$ stinks :(
What to do :confused: :hammerhea

riverbound
10-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Look at te over all package and consider everything......Im in the process off doing the same andam considering everything...some people just look at a paycheck and not everything else.
Good luck to whatever you decide to do :)

djunkie
10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Retirement, benfefits, salary. Thats the order that I look at it. Unless its a real shitty paying job.

HammerDown
10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Retirement, benfefits, salary. Thats the order that I look at it. Unless its a real shitty paying job.
Money wise, the state job would be about 1/2 less :notam:
Unless overtime kicked in...and being a new hire well, ya know how that goes.
And it's not even a low position.

djunkie
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Money wise, the state job would be about 1/2 less :notam:
1/2???? Ouch!!!!

riverroyal
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
the last employer you will ever have?If not go for the cash

HammerDown
10-06-2005, 02:52 PM
the last employer you will ever have?If not go for the cash
Well, once your (in) with "the state"...your in.
Unless they have big state cut-backs :notam:
The NJ job...hard to say if I feel any security. Right now things are good and they need me, but who knows down the road.
Interview with the state... this Friday.

djunkie
10-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Well not knowing what your current salary is it's hard to tell if a cut in half is worth it. Now if you made great money before and took a pay cut but still made good money, then maybe the benfits and retiremnet are a way to go. If you plan on being there long enough to capitalize off of them.

AZKC
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I left pretty good money at Auto dealerships and took about a 40% cut for a County job. But I found I had alot more time on my hands to get a few things going for some extra cash and I got a 40 hour work week and weekends off and 11 paid holidays, 2 week vacation after one year ;) Not to mention Internet access :D

HammerDown
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Well not knowing what your current salary is it's hard to tell if a cut in half is worth it. Now if you made great money before and took a pay cut but still made good money, then maybe the benfits and retiremnet are a way to go. If you plan on being there long enough to capitalize off of them.
Hmmmm, Im 48, the money offered by the state seems too (me) something that would be ok for someone younger (no offense to the young millionaires out there) .
The bennies offiered by the NJ job being (I feel) sub-par and a 401k that I've never delt with prior also kinda stinks.
Now I have a roll of $$$$ in the bank, with a 10 out of 22 year union pension coming my way when I'm 62, not to mention SS and no kids...just toys.

azgfboatgirl
10-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Government jobs pay less but the benefits and retirement can work in your favor. A second income is how I survive. :D
Whatever you do make sure you can meet your bills with the pay cut of 40%, ouch! :sqeyes:

Kilrtoy
10-06-2005, 03:23 PM
JESUS H CHRIST
You stole my line.... I second that.....
health benefits alone can add up to 6 dollars an hour .......

HammerDown
10-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Whatever you do make sure you can meet your bills with the pay cut of 40%, ouch! :sqeyes:
House is payed for...but it still would be pretty tight with less pay in the pocket!

djunkie
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
JESUS H CHRIST
You stole my line.... I second that.....
health benefits alone can add up to 6 dollars an hour .......
I didn't know Jesus has a middle name. :)

AZKC
10-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Government jobs pay less but the benefits and retirement can work in your favor. A second income is how I survive. :D
Well I use the DINK method (double income no kids) to make ends meet. As long as my money grubbin kid stays away anyway :D

Kilrtoy
10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
yes he does and it is HALALOUYA

djunkie
10-06-2005, 03:42 PM
yes he does and it is HALALOUYA
You mean Halleluah?

Kilrtoy
10-06-2005, 03:47 PM
You mean Halleluah?
Thats the way WHITE people spell it, I just finished my ebonics class and i have been working in L.A. TOOOOOOOO LONG

djunkie
10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Thats the way WHITE people spell it, I just finished my ebonics class and i have been working in L.A. TOOOOOOOO LONG
Are you sure its not just that union job dummying you up? :D

Kilrtoy
10-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Are you sure its not just that union job dummying you up? :D
No but spell check and Cal-cue-lat-tors have done enough damage already....

Waist Deep
10-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Go for the Gov job. I have two friends that gave up two state jobs here in OC to move to Lake Nacimiento with their 10 year old daughter. Now hes doing handyman crap for $35.00 per hour and shes not working. Note : No insurance either. I just look at the end and a guaranteed retirement. If your not happy now, you will be then.

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 03:50 AM
Tough decisions here, just started a new job in NJ with great pay (but) the benefit's are well...in my opinion so-so. :rolleyes:
And now I have a chance to work for the state, mine (Pa)...top of the line benefits etc with nice retirement (but) the $$$ stinks :(
State jobs are usually the way to go :D 1/2 the pay? can you make it work?
the benefits can be great and make up for some lost salary, retirement is a big one.

cruser
10-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Don't forget to consider the cost of living in NJ vs PA.

HammerDown
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Don't forget to consider the cost of living in NJ vs PA.
I really don't want to move out of Pa, the commute to and from the NJ job is 130 miles round trip. As some here know I just bought cash +17k a new vehicle for that daily drive.
I belive the Pa state job will be about 10 miles from my home.
Interview tomorrow AM.

MsDrmr
10-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree with most, you can't just look at the paycheck. Remeber, if they start you at a low income, that can always go up, a company with so-so benefits will most likely not improve in that dept. I would negotiate (sp) the pay and go for the benefits..(jmop)

DelawareDave
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
My B.I.L.worked for the state of NJ for over 20 years and retired full bennies. Don't have a clue what he made salary wise. Supposedly had good retirement bennies, and health bennies. Sister and BIL moved to AZ, and both are still working to make ends meet. But then again, he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. :hammerhea

Norseman
10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
"Holy" :cool:

Norseman
10-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I really don't want to move out of Pa, the commute to and from the NJ job is 130 miles round trip. As some here know I just bought cash +17k a new vehicle for that daily drive.
I belive the Pa state job will be about 10 miles from my home.
Interview tomorrow AM.
Depending on the state job, they usually move you up fairly quickly in pay grades. And the health insurance alone is worth big $$$, not counting the retirement!!

Mohave Vice
10-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Benefits and retirement.