PDA

View Full Version : Chemical stripers Q....

YeLLowBoaT
10-06-2005, 08:47 PM
ok so I am starting to prep my boat for paint. I was wondering if any out there has every tried the stripers that are not methonal choloride based( jasco, and the like). The reason why I ask is do to my living arangments. My mother lives with me, she has a very bad breathing probluem( the reason why she moved in with me). Even just opening up thiner spends her on her nuebulizer. I have tried some of the of the other "citrus" based stripers on latex and some "softer" oil based paints and they do work I just have never tried them on anything near as hard as automotive paints. I was wondering if any 1 has tried them in the past? Thanks for the help

MagicMtnDan
10-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Not sure why you want to use fish on your boat :D I wish you luck with them.
http://flounderguide.com/2001/stripers.jpg

HM
10-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I beleive you mean Methylene Chloride. Nothing is as effective as Methylene Chloride.
But, a safe "green" stripper is NMP or NM-2 Pyrrolidone or full name of N-Methyl-2 Pyrrolidone. It is really a solvent, but acts as a slow stripper. BASF is the primary manufacturer. It is considered safe as it has a very slow evaporation rate and biodegrades very easily. Little to no fumes or smell, and is not an irritant. It sucks as a paint stripper, but it is probably the best alternative to Methylene Chloride.
I used to sell truckloads of the stuff for 15 years.
You should avoid using any paint strippers on your boat, as they cause additional damage and weakening to the polyester resin in the fiberglass. Unless you have an aluminum boat, then go for it.

HM
10-06-2005, 11:41 PM
If you have automotive paint on your boat, use a razor to strip it off. Go ask BillyB in the "how to" forums. Razor it, sand it, fill it, sand it, primer it, sand it, paint it, then sand it. And, you might try sanding.
:D