PDA

View Full Version : Stabil Fuel Stabilizer

bohica
10-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Anyone know where I can pick up some in Havasu. Making my last boating trip and need to add some to the gas for the long winter storage. All I've seen is the tiny little cans.

Not So Fast
10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Anyone know where I can pick up some in Havasu. Making my last boating trip and need to add some to the gas for the long winter storage. All I've seen is the tiny little cans.
WalMart has it, but I will not be using it this year because after using it last winter and at start up of this year I found my engine ran extremely rich so I will just fill up with premium to offset the loss of octane whole the boat sits, but I also live here so we do use it a little all year long. Maybe just a coincidence since I have the already rich running 496HO. JMO :chi: NSF

Jyruiz
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM
WalMart has it, but I will not be using it this year because after using it last winter and at start up of this year I found my engine ran extremely rich so I will just fill up with premium to offset the loss of octane whole the boat sits, but I also live here so we do use it a little all year long. Maybe just a coincidence since I have the already rich running 496HO. JMO :chi: NSF
That is what I do, but on the last trip of the season, I try to leave as little gas in the tank as possible. Then when I go to use the boat again, I will put premium.

Not So Fast
10-07-2005, 10:26 AM
That is what I do, but on the last trip of the season, I try to leave as little gas in the tank as possible. Then when I go to use the boat again, I will put premium.
I've always been told to store the boat with full tanks????????????????????????????????? NSF

Jyruiz
10-07-2005, 10:31 AM
I've always been told to store the boat with full tanks????????????????????????????????? NSF
I use to do that with my skis, and then when it came time to ride, they would start fine, but would not get over 3k rpms.

purrfecttremor
10-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Me to!

bohica
10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Always been told to store with full tanks too. Empty tanks = more room for condensation.

riverroyal
10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
i hope not mines about a 1/4 per side with 91 oct and stabil,bought at napa in parker

Not So Fast
10-07-2005, 11:21 AM
i hope not mines about a 1/4 per side with 91 oct and stabil,bought at napa in parker
Let us know what you find when you go to first start up, the back of my boat was really nasty black???????????? I would store it full though, besides you would probably save money by doing it now VS next summer when gas is $6 @ gal. :D :devil: :D :devil: NSF

Ziggy
10-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Thats absolutely right...fill the tanks to the top...leave no room for moisture build up inside the tank.
Besides, fill it now so you won't pay $5 a gal. next season :squiggle: :rolleyes:

clearfork
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I have heard that you need to try to store empty. The little condensation that you may or may not get will offset the old fuel next year. I was talking with a guy that sells AMZOIL and he said that every three to six weeks the octane number drops a point. So say you have a three month layup. Worse case senario, that is a 2-4 point drop. My boat ihere in Tn will not get used from middle of OCT- middle of MAR. so it could possibly drop 5 numbers. Even if i used 93 octane it would be bad for any high horsepower engine.
I guess what I am trying to say is you can fill the tanks but my advice is if you do dont use the gas. You will have detonation problems and others if you do. You could drain it next year but at current fuel prices that would be silly.
I would try to run out as much as I could, maybe put some stabil and Octnae booster in for the little that is left anfd then go and buy a full tank next year and then change your fuel filter out.
MY .02 only.
but from what i gather if you are running anything that requires a certain octane rated fuel. Dont store with gas in it.

Ultracrazy
10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I heard the opposite from a Mercury Dealer..........Si? or No?

Focker
10-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Do You Get Condensation Problems If Garaged In Havasu?

Ziggy
10-07-2005, 12:14 PM
I have heard that you need to try to store empty. The little condensation that you may or may not get will offset the old fuel next year. I was talking with a guy that sells AMZOIL and he said that every three to six weeks the octane number drops a point. So say you have a three month layup. Worse case senario, that is a 2-4 point drop. My boat ihere in Tn will not get used from middle of OCT- middle of MAR. so it could possibly drop 5 numbers. Even if i used 93 octane it would be bad for any high horsepower engine.
I guess what I am trying to say is you can fill the tanks but my advice is if you do dont use the gas. You will have detonation problems and others if you do. You could drain it next year but at current fuel prices that would be silly.
I would try to run out as much as I could, maybe put some stabil and Octnae booster in for the little that is left anfd then go and buy a full tank next year and then change your fuel filter out.
MY .02 only.
but from what i gather if you are running anything that requires a certain octane rated fuel. Dont store with gas in it.
You can add an octane booster at the end of storage to make up for some of the loss...be better than finding all kinds of white crusties on the inside of your Alum. fuel tanks.

Jyruiz
10-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Always been told to store with full tanks too. Empty tanks = more room for condensation.
I don't know much about the motors on boats so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a water seperator to take care of something like this?

Ziggy
10-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't know much about the motors on boats so correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a water seperator to take care of something like this?
Its the corrosive factor of the moisture in the tank itself......

Jyruiz
10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Its the corrosive factor of the moisture in the tank itself......
I see, thanks for the heads up bro.

Man-de-lone
10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Humidity level in Havasu is probably pretty low. But it does rain on occassion....I've seen it. :boxed:
I think Stabil does more than just boost octane. Cuz then it would be called Stabil Octane Booster and not a stabilizer.
I say fill the tanks, add the stabil and run it for a bit to get it mixed up and through the injectors.
STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer:
• America’s top selling fuel stabilizer keeps fuel fresh for quick, easy starts after storage.
• Removes water to prevent corrosion and cleans carburetors and fuel injectors.
• Protects engine from gum, varnish, rust, and corrosion.
• Prolongs engine life.
• Eliminates need to drain fuel before storage.
• For all 2 cycle and 4 cycle gasoline and diesel engines.
Sta-bil link (http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm)