PDA

View Full Version : BUI Dosent Pay

cc322
10-07-2005, 05:19 PM
A friend of mine was at the sand bar a few weeks back and had been drinking with other friends and co workers, when it was time to leave everybody but him and his buddy went towards Havasu they went towards needels he was on a sea doo and was directed towards the beach at topock by Mohave county sherriffs. When he and a few others were on the beach they under went a breathalizer test, he blew 1.6. He was above the legal amount. He spent the night in jail and was released the next day. This week at work he had to show up in Havasu court and was asked to pay $3000.00 and the judge ordered him to spend two more days in jail, also he must go through a boating safety course, and alcohol counseling. Moral of the story dont drink and drive a boat. They also told him if it would have been CA, it would have gone on his D/L.

76ANTHONY
10-07-2005, 05:32 PM
DAM THAT SUCKS, BUT I DONT DRINK AND DRIVE MY BOAT SO NO WORRIES :D

Mandelon
10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Moral of the story: Its better to head to Havasu. :220v:

Mr. Crusader 83
10-07-2005, 05:54 PM
hell yeah... should have gone to havasu. boating without beer is like having a chick and no condom.......

Caribbean Jet
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
There's always at least one sober person on our boat, usually me. Sorry to hear about your friend. I've been told that it goes on your driving record as well.

77charger
10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
T I've been told that it goes on your driving record as well.
It depends on who cites you ca it goes against driving.Az alot less likely.I know from experience (as far as boating goes)

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Here's a picture of my cousin in the channel blowing in the tube. He was .08, so they told him to sit for half an hour and drink water. I thought they were pretty cool about it.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166167

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Here's a picture of my cousin in the channel blowing in the tube. He was .08, so they told him to sit for half an hour and drink water. I thought they were pretty cool about it.http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166167
Your cousin is a REDX I think I have seen him before :D

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Your cousin is a REDX I think I have seen him before :D
Why is it I can see the pictures but no-one else can? Am I doing something wrong? How the hell do you load these pictures? Can you see the one in my signature?

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Why is it I can see the pictures but no-one else can? Am I doing something wrong? How the hell do you load these pictures? Can you see the one in my signature?
No and NO :eek:
Upload to image center first :wink:

Phat Matt
10-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I think it's cuz you are linking them from OSO and you have to be a member to view pics. But what do I know. :)

Phat Matt
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
hell yeah... should have gone to havasu. boating without beer is like having a chick and no condom.......
Huh? I like beer, I hate condoms. :D

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
But what do I know. :)
Not much from what I hear :D

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I think it's cuz you are linking them from OSO and you have to be a member to view pics. But what do I know. :)
That make sense, so Jordy and others who are paid members on OSO can see them but you guys can't. I'll figure out another way to post them. What do the rest of you do? Put them on a website somewhere and link them to this one? Why can't you just upload them from your computer? Is there any easier way to upload them? Everytime I try and upload a picture it tells me that it's an invalid format.

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 07:06 PM
That make sense, so Jordy and others who are paid members on OSO can see them but you guys can't. I'll figure out another way to post them. What do the rest of you do? Put them on a website somewhere and link them to this one? Why can't you just upload them from your computer? Is there any easier way to upload them? Everytime I try and upload a picture it tells me that it's an invalid format.
You could UPLOAD into the image center :cool:

H20 Toie
10-07-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm a paid member on OSO and i only see red x

Mr. Crusader 83
10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah the hell with condoms.....

Phat Matt
10-07-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm a paid member on OSO and i only see red x
Maybe your bill is due. :rollside:

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok, I put some pictures in the image gallery, now how do I get them from there to here?

famaffair
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine was at the sand bar a few weeks back and had been drinking with other friends and co workers, when it was time to leave everybody but him and his buddy went towards Havasu they went towards needels he was on a sea doo and was directed towards the beach at topock by Mohave county sherriffs. When he and a few others were on the beach they under went a breathalizer test, he blew 1.6. He was above the legal amount. He spent the night in jail and was released the next day. This week at work he had to show up in Havasu court and was asked to pay $3000.00 and the judge ordered him to spend two more days in jail, also he must go through a boating safety course, and alcohol counseling. Moral of the story dont drink and drive a boat. They also told him if it would have been CA, it would have gone on his D/L.
1.6? I 'm sure he meant .16, 1.6 would be a man dead from alcohol poisoning

Mr. Crusader 83
10-07-2005, 07:36 PM
copy the properties of the pic. then when you post your reply to thread click on the mountain with sun icon and paste the properties from the pic there. then when you post your pic will appear.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2854crusader_old_engine_454_001-med.jpg

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 07:39 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3078Picture_230.jpg

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 07:40 PM
did it work?

FOUNTAINATLAST
10-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I can see it....

OutCole'd
10-07-2005, 07:43 PM
did it work?
Yep, congrats.

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
did it work?
You figured it out :D

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 07:52 PM
You figured it out :D
They should hand out the secret decoder rings when you sign up here. :D

Boatcop
10-07-2005, 07:56 PM
1.6? I 'm sure he meant .16, 1.6 would be a man dead from alcohol poisoning
.16% is more like it. That, by the way, is classified as "Extreme OUI", and is twice the legally presumed impaired limit of .08%.
Better to have it tested on shore by us, than to have it tested by the coroner at autopsy.

JetBoatRich
10-07-2005, 08:01 PM
They should hand out the secret decoder rings when you sign up here. :D
You didn't get yours :D
Sounds like your cousin was lucky

BadKachina
10-07-2005, 08:06 PM
We only had three or four beers over the course of 2 hours, but that's enough to get you BUI. I really never realized it before.

Kilrtoy
10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
hey that is only for the 20k club big guy....

Kachina26
10-07-2005, 08:57 PM
No sympathy here.

Outnumbered
10-07-2005, 10:46 PM
.16% is more like it. That, by the way, is classified as "Extreme OUI", and is twice the legally presumed impaired limit of .08%.
Better to have it tested on shore by us, than to have it tested by the coroner at autopsy.
I'd have to agree with Boat Cop and Kachina26, the guy was way over and was an accident waiting to happen.

JetBoatRich
10-08-2005, 03:52 AM
hey that is only for the 20k club big guy....
you are close :D

HOSS
10-08-2005, 05:01 AM
.16,,,he was just starting to have fun. .28 and your getting drunk. .16 is fine.
I say make it against the law to be outside of your house if there is a cloud in the sky. You can get struck by lightning, someone driving by can see it, swerve hit an oncoming car sending debris flying through the glass windows at a packed mall killing hundreds.
It could happen. Look at the python and gator.
just another tip from your good buddy HOSS. ;)

Ultrafied
10-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Would he have driven his car home like that or is it just OK to operate a boat/pwc like that?

sam pioske
10-08-2005, 05:28 AM
And i agree with Hoss a man of wisdom.
Sam

Kachina26
10-08-2005, 05:45 AM
PWC's should have a .04 limit since most start off mentally impared anyway :D

Captain Dan
10-08-2005, 07:47 AM
0.16, as Boatcop says is "Extreme" - double the limit. He must have been pretty hammered and still operating that PWC up through the gorge.
What a dumbass.
This thread is aslo titled "BUI Doesn't Pay" - when would it?

MagicMtnDan
10-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Dang, JBR, you posted on this thread 7 times! (And I'm sure you'll get an 8th in after I post this). You spend WAY too much time here :eek:

Riverdog1
10-08-2005, 08:27 AM
PWC's should have a .04 limit since most start off mentally impared anyway :D
Funny but true.
I always have a cooler on the boat. It goes WAAAY back to the old school days. Been on boats for 35 years and that's the way it's always been done.
If I couldn't have a cold one on the lake and check out the sunset in a secluded cove I would sell my boat and stay home. I do drink beer during the day at the lake and in the boat but I reserve the partying until after sunset when the boat is parked for the night.
You are right though, if it were in CA, it would have been treated as if you were in your car and all the same punishments. .08 is nothing, .16 is still not that bad but be careful, .20, you shouldn't be driving the boat at all.
In my opinion, you shouldn't feel buzzed in your boat. Most of us here have fast boats that will kill us if we're sober, not to mention being drunk. We have fast boats because we need speed. We can kill ourselves, all by ourselves, without any other help. One more reason I stay away from the lakes on big holiday weekends.
And, I would find it hard to believe someone would get pulled to the side and singled out for a breathalizer test unless they were being stupid in the first place. #102 stupid things to do...drive like an ass when you've been drinking.

RiverToysJas
10-08-2005, 08:33 AM
They were pulling over all boat traffic heading north that afternoon. I heard they had many detainees cuffed on the beach just outside Topok Marina that afternoon.
If you wanna play, gotta play by the rules.....or pay the price. Sounds like the judges are going more hash on first time offenders than they used to. OR maybe Havasu is mroe harsh than Parker. CA could still find out about it, and yank his D/L. UNLESS...they bumped him down to wreckless boating, which is common on a first offence. Those penalties sound harsh though, so it sounds like they hung him on everything.
RTJas :D

JetBoatRich
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Dang, JBR, you posted on this thread 7 times! (And I'm sure you'll get an 8th in after I post this). You spend WAY too much time here :eek:
who's counting :crossx: you are right by the way#8

Boatcop
10-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Sounds like the judges are going more hash on first time offenders than they used to. OR maybe Havasu is mroe harsh than Parker.
Judges have no discretion in sentencing for DUI/OUI.
.08-.14% 10 days in jail, 9 days MAY be suspended for alcohol screening and Boating Safety Class.
.15% and up 30 days in jail, 20 days suspended for the screening and classes.
They can choose not to suspend days, but some jail is mandatory. It sounds like in this case, he plead it down from Extreme to just OUI (above .08%). In those cases the judge suspends fewer days than if he was below .15%.
Here in Parker we had a prosecutor who didn't want to work, so he plead every OUI down to Reckless. The judge still gave them the fine, jail, alcohol screening and Boating Class. IT wasn't the sentencing that ticked us off, it was the fact that the OUI wasn't on their record, so a sceond offense was treated as a first offense.
Second offense calls for 60 days in jail, 30 days mandatory, the rest suspended for alcohol treatment (not screening) and Boating class. We've had about a dozen so far that were repeat offenders, but they got the minimum because the first one wasn't classified as an OUI conviction. A few were even plead down to Reckless again, cause the prosecutor was an idiot. Not to mention the morons who didn't get the message the first time they were arrested.
Not so anymore. We voted that jerk out of office, and the new one is cracking down. No Pleas. Do the crime, do the time.

CA Stu
10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
We only had three or four beers over the course of 2 hours, but that's enough to get you BUI. I really never realized it before.
Does your cousin weigh 80 pounds or what?
.16 is a good buzz, definitely impaired, and here's the kicker...IT"S AGAINST THE LAW DUMBAZZ
.16 sounds like at least 10-12 beers to me.
Cheers
CA Stu

cc322
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I didn't read his post as looking for sympathy. I read it as a warning that only a few beers can get you busted... Bad.
We all know sitting in the sun and knocking a few back feels nothing like it would if you were sitting in a bar drinking the same amount. Thing is, your BAC is gonna be the same.
Be Safe.
Thats all I was trying to do is give a heads up on the penealities of drinking and driving a boat. Take it for what it's worth.

BADAXE
10-08-2005, 02:56 PM
.16,,,he was just starting to have fun. .28 and your getting drunk. .16 is fine.
I say make it against the law to be outside of your house if there is a cloud in the sky. You can get struck by lightning, someone driving by can see it, swerve hit an oncoming car sending debris flying through the glass windows at a packed mall killing hundreds.
It could happen. Look at the python and gator.
just another tip from your good buddy HOSS. ;)
Wow! It looks like the hurricane really helped you clear your head of some of those crazy ideas you used to have. :D :hammer2:
Glad to see you back at it.

HOSS
10-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Would he have driven his car home like that or is it just OK to operate a boat/pwc like that?
Its ok to operate a car like that. The "blow method is not accurate". I know, I`ve had 5 first offense DWI`s. plead down, and 3 wash under the rug. I`m a professional drunk. Been to a million class from the court. Own my own truck at the city depot for community service. Don`t phuc with me. :cool:

HOSS
10-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Does your cousin weigh 80 pounds or what?
.16 is a good buzz, definitely impaired, and here's the kicker...IT"S AGAINST THE LAW DUMBAZZ
.16 sounds like at least 10-12 beers to me.
Cheers
CA Stu
There`s a lot of sheet against the law assshole. :yuk:

JetBoatRich
10-09-2005, 06:32 AM
I didn't read his post as looking for sympathy. I read it as a warning that only a few beers can get you busted... Bad.
We all know sitting in the sun and knocking a few back feels nothing like it would if you were sitting in a bar drinking the same amount. Thing is, your BAC is gonna be the same.
Be Safe.
Thats all I was trying to do is give a heads up on the penealities of drinking and driving a boat. Take it for what it's worth.
Have to remember some people will no learn :wink:

All IN
10-09-2005, 08:35 AM
I glad he got a DUI. I don't want drunk boaters on the lake.

Havasu Cig
10-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Three or four 12 oz beers over the course of two hours will generally not get you over an .08 bac. One 12 oz beer will raise your bac about .025 and you burn it off at about .025 an hour. You can do the math but I would say it was more than three or four beers.