PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Boat Purchase Scam from Overseas Buyers

Wmc
10-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I just want to make people aware of a scam that is happening right now. I posted our boat for sale in the ***boat Classifieds. Within about a week I received (2) emails from companies over seas wanting to purchase my boat for the asking price. I thought it was the real deal. They asked me to take my boat out of the classifieds and gave me instructions on what I needed to do once I received a check. So about a month goes by and I'm going back and forth with a person regarding payment, etc... BY the way her name is Jane Dozer and that should have sparked some negative vibes right there (Jane Doe), but I continued to believe all her emails. She claimed to be the Vice President of the company and was working diligently with the Financial Manager to get me my check. Well we got eager so I offered her my federal express number to speed up the process. We finally received a check for an amount that was $10,000 over our asking price. I assumed that was the money I was to give the shipping agent when he came to pick up the boat. I opened the federal express and there was only a check, nothing more. I immediately ran to the bank only to be told the check did not look or feel like a real check. Come to find out after calling the bank the check was drawn from that it was Counterfeit.
I was told by our Bank Manager that the check would have gone through, we would have received the money, we would have called the agent, they would have gotten their $10,000 plus our boat and then 2 months down the road when the bank finally sees the check is counterfeit we would have been responsible to pay back the $57,000.
Both banks said this is a fraud ring that is taking advantage anyway they can. So if you have received emails from people claiming to be from overseas please be weiry.
Thanks, Wendi

Nord
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I believe this same scan applies to everything for rent or sale!!!!
I had a guy from France try to order a bunch of stuff and pull the same thing!
They use the relay system for deaf people to contact!
I also had a room for rent on roomates.com and got the same type of deal, they will pay for a year in advance and then some!

Creator
10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Yep, Had the same thing happen about a year ago. The check cleared and 24 hours later the funds were returned. We kinda knew that was going to happen so we weren't going to ship the item for 72 hours. Good thing we held onto it. Any time we sell now we tell the buyer to arrange their own shipping and we will only take the exact amount of the item we are selling. Seems to weed out the fakes pretty quickly.

BBTAHITI
10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
This isn't a new scam. It's been around for WELL over a year. Sorry to be brutal, but don't ya read the boards? Didn't that common sense alarm just BLARE?

Wmc
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
This isn't a new scam. It's been around for WELL over a year. Sorry to be brutal, but don't ya read the boards? Didn't that common sense alarm just BLARE?
Well lets see, I'm pretty new to the boatds and don't spend every waking hour reading up on things, so no I didn't read the boatds and you don't have to be so rude. I thought I was being nice, next time I just won't say a word.

Jordy
10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
It's been around for WELL over a year.
I'd say 2 or more. Been around for EVER!!! ;)

Wmc
10-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Very old scam. Never take a check or money order from someone without verifying it's real and waiting for it to clear.
That is why I still have the boat, I would never release something without a waiting period. I knew the check was counterfeit because the fonts didn't match up. When I emailed them back they never responded that clearly made me aware of the scam. Next time before I post I will read up!!!

Wmc
10-12-2005, 06:17 PM
You have to spend as much time on the internet as Jordy to be aware of all the scams. :D :D How are you and Billy and the kids?
I guess so!!! We are doing great. Heading up to Parker to do the summer clean up and get ready for the dirtbike riding season. Do you and the family go up in the winter??? If so we will have to get together. Tell everybody we said hi!!! ;)

Phat Daddy
10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Well lets see, I'm pretty new to the boatds and don't spend every waking hour reading up on things, so no I didn't read the boatds and you don't have to be so rude. I thought I was being nice, next time I just won't say a word.
Welcome to the wonderful world that is Hot Boat. Just remember not to take anything said on here to heart. This is a pretty old scam ( same thing almost happen to me on a boat sale) but thanks for putting it out there anyway.